Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for recommendations on my first LCD. Here are my considerations:

- probably 55-inch class, maybe 52, strongly prefer a matte finish

- it will be on a somewhat high surface (around 40-42 inches I believe), so if this is a problem, I wonder what a solution would be. Are any of them able to tilt slightly downwards on their stands?

- looking to spend around $1500, but I'd pay more if it got me something significantly better.

- I don't care about thickness. It will be sitting on its stand; it won't be mounted on the wall, so I'm not willing to pay more for a thin TV. I'd rather put extra money into a better picture.

- after reading this forum exhaustively, I've concluded that full-backlit/local-dimming LEDs are the best picture, but are also obviously more expensive. I realize that $1500 is probably not compatible with this format.

- edge-lit LEDs seem to be a feature found on TVs that are going for a thinner display. these seem to be the worst for my considerations.

- not opposed to standard a CCFL set, since I don't care about thickness, and it would probably be cheaper.

- I watch a lot baseball and football, so I definitely want a set that will not produce jerky, choppy motion.

- Not sure about on-board services. Seems like built-in Netflix on some of these units is not very good, and that a separate device is advisable. Thoughts?

I know there are some very knowledgeable people here, so if anyone has time to lend a hand, I would be very grateful.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Here are the results of a forum search under "55" as this question comes up nearly every day

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=15462269

There is also a stickie thread at the top of the first page "help me find an LCD". Good luck with your search

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230050
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Here are the results of a forum search under "55" as this question comes up nearly every day

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=15462269

There is also a stickie thread at the top of the first page "help me find an LCD". Good luck with your search

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230050

Thanks. The first link didn't work, but I'll try searching. The second link works, but there aren't a lot of replies there.

Maybe there should be an LCD selector on some web page, like a flow chart. That would really help.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I think the challenge will be finding screens with a matte finish - most 2010 models tend to be glossy.

If you are okay with last year's model, consider the Sony XBR9 (CCFL but still a good performer) or the LG LH90 (LED with great color accuracy) -- both have non-glossy screens.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Lantern View Post

I think the challenge will be finding screens with a matte finish - most 2010 models tend to be glossy.

If you are okay with last year's model, consider the Sony XBR9 (CCFL but still a good performer) or the LG LH90 (LED with great color accuracy) -- both have non-glossy screens.

Yep. If looking for matte his options this year are more limited than ever. The lg 5400 and 5500's are matte. 5400 is edge lit 5500 is edge lit with limited local dimming. Both quite a bit over your budget. The xbr9 from last year is a great tv but the prices ive seen are still high relative to the ops budget.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page