Sony KDL-46EX400 vs. Sammy LN46C530? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Sony KDL-46EX400 vs. Sammy LN46C530?

LCD Flat Panel Displays

ERuiz's Avatar ERuiz
06:48 AM Liked: 15
post #1 of 11
06-16-2010 | Posts: 480
Hello everyone...

Last week I had purchased an LG 42LD450 LCD from Walmart and even though the image quality was OUTSTANDING, I took it back because it only had 2 HDMI ports and that was really driving me nuts.

So I returned it yesterday and purchased the Sony KDL-46EX400 and I am really not pleased with how the TV looks out of the box. I have Verizon FIOS with HD programming, PS3 and xBox 360 all with HDMI connections and I really am not digging how the display looks.

Out of the box, the LG blew this Sony out of the water as far as image quality is concerned.

Now I am looking into the Samsung LN46C530. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
ERuiz's Avatar ERuiz
08:56 AM Liked: 15
post #2 of 11
Anyone? I would appreciate any input, please.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim
09:17 AM Liked: 111
post #3 of 11
06-16-2010 | Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

Anyone? I would appreciate any input, please.

Go someplace other than Walmart to see a better selection of TVs.
ERuiz's Avatar ERuiz
10:21 AM Liked: 15
post #4 of 11
As per my original post, I am interested in these two models. I would appreciate any suggestions on these two models.
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13
10:42 AM Liked: 270
post #5 of 11
06-16-2010 | Posts: 4,161
Quote:

Hello everyone...

Last week I had purchased an LG 42LD450 LCD from Walmart and even though the image quality was OUTSTANDING, I took it back because it only had 2 HDMI ports and that was really driving me nuts.

So I returned it yesterday and purchased the Sony KDL-46EX400 and I am really not pleased with how the TV looks out of the box. I have Verizon FIOS with HD programming, PS3 and xBox 360 all with HDMI connections and I really am not digging how the display looks.

Out of the box, the LG blew this Sony out of the water as far as image quality is concerned.

Now I am looking into the Samsung LN46C530. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Out of the box PQ means nothing,you have to do some calibration first before you know what you're dealing with.
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim
10:46 AM Liked: 111
post #6 of 11
06-16-2010 | Posts: 6,258
Quote:

As per my original post, I am interested in these two models. I would appreciate any suggestions on these two models.

I have checked the various sites that review TVs (which you can also do) and the general consensus is that both of these are good TVs in their price range. So, I guess my suggestion is to pick the one you like best and be satisfied with it or buy one of better quality like I hinted at in my earlier post. Of course, both of these actions (except keeping the Sony) mean returning yet another TV which frustrates me and many other members of this Forum because returns ultimately lead to higher prices for everyone.

A lot of research in advance will save a lot of trouble in the future. You mentioned liking the LG, but not the number of HDMI inputs. I'm guessing a simple check of the box or a quick look in the store would have saved you from buying it in the first place then having to return it.

Good luck in your search.
darstr's Avatar darstr
12:24 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 11
06-16-2010 | Posts: 272
For the money I would stay with the samsung. Why pay extra for a Sony, when Samsung makes the panel for it?
theblackkeys's Avatar theblackkeys
02:09 PM Liked: 13
post #8 of 11
06-16-2010 | Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstr View Post

For the money I would stay with the samsung. Why pay extra for a Sony, when Samsung makes the panel for it?

Who cares about who makes the panel? Its whats behind the TV that counts also, video processing is major!
As for extra for Sony this year, do your research.

BB KDL40EX400- $629
BB LN40C530- $674

Any questions?
ERuiz's Avatar ERuiz
03:55 PM Liked: 15
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I have checked the various sites that review TVs (which you can also do) and the general consensus is that both of these are good TVs in their price range. So, I guess my suggestion is to pick the one you like best and be satisfied with it or buy one of better quality like I hinted at in my earlier post. Of course, both of these actions (except keeping the Sony) mean returning yet another TV which frustrates me and many other members of this Forum because returns ultimately lead to higher prices for everyone.

A lot of research in advance will save a lot of trouble in the future. You mentioned liking the LG, but not the number of HDMI inputs. I'm guessing a simple check of the box or a quick look in the store would have saved you from buying it in the first place then having to return it.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for your response. Well put and I really appreciate you taking a few minutes to help me out. I will stick with the Sony and perhaps get a calibration DVD and see if I can have the settings properly set. Thanks!
chinee's Avatar chinee
07:50 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 11
06-16-2010 | Posts: 578
Quote:

Thanks for your response. Well put and I really appreciate you taking a few minutes to help me out. I will stick with the Sony and perhaps get a calibration DVD and see if I can have the settings properly set. Thanks!

Simply search for the EX400 Owners thread on this forum; I'm sure you will find settings you can use to adjust your picture settings. All Sonys I've seen out of the box this year have PQ that is far too bright, washed out and grainy. Adjusting the picture settings will do wonders.
ERuiz's Avatar ERuiz
07:54 PM Liked: 15
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee View Post

Simply search for the EX400 Owners thread on this forum; I'm sure you will find settings you can use to adjust your picture settings. All Sonys I've seen out of the box this year have PQ that is far too bright, washed out and grainy. Adjusting the picture settings will do wonders.

I had done just that and set my TV using the settings provided by serialmike I believe, from a 60EX500 and now it looks sooooo much better. =) Now I just need to start testing it out with different inputs such as the PS3 games, FIOS TV and Blueray movies.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread