1Likes

post #451 of 1549 Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpd View Post

Hey Zardoz, my set was just delivered. I've been hearing and reading a lot on this panel issue. First time hearing about CUSBLHO! Is this some kind a code identifying what panel was used during assembly of our set? Where can I fine this code on the set? Can someone elaborate further on the advantages of the ISP panel over the AUO panel (I think that's what I read)? Thanks!

BTW,... great TV. Found out my neighbor bought the Hitachi L42S504 Sams Club had as a doorbuster last Friday for $498. He and I both agree the LG has the better PQ. And if remember correctly, the Hitachi is a 120Hz machine, can't be certain though. He and I are good friends, but for fun we often engage in a lot of male antler sparing over dumb stuff like, hand tools, Xmas decorations, BBQ grills, how our lawns look, and crap like that,... gotta admit, it's fun sometimes. I recently took a pounding over our perspective riding lawn mowers,... had to make two exchange trips HD just to keep up. LOL! Anyway, I think I got him this round! Uhmm,... wonder if he'll head back to Sams and do an exchange.

So far,... for the price, this LG is hard to beat.

eric, it's labled on the back of the box. Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1280586&page=2 @ post #36 and you'll see where it's located. Apparently, if the 4th letter is a "W" (like what I highlighted in my last post), then you have an IPS panel. I believe there is a member on here (who I think is from Europe?) who had an "I", and got an IPS-Alpha panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1549 Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz04 View Post

eric, it's labled on the back of the box. Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1280586&page=2 @ post #36 and you'll see where it's located. Apparently, if the 4th letter is a "W" (like what I highlighted in my last post), then you have an IPS panel. I believe there is a member on here (who I think is from Europe?) who had an "I", and got an IPS-Alpha panel.

Hey thanks Zardoz. Looked on the box and found the W, but it wasn't embedded in the S/N#. It was more like an extension of the model number. On my box, the full model# reads: 42LD450-UA.CUSWLH. But I'm a bit puzzled because the string doesn't end in "O", it just stops at the "H", I hoping that omission is due to the poster's set being a Sony and ours being an LG. What's the UA designation in there? Was this set headed to the Middle East, then somehow detoured to Amazon's warehouse or something?

So if I understand this correctly the three main advantages to the ISP panel is better graphics, better lag/response times, and less motion blur. On the flip side, the ISP panel are a little lacking when it comes to blacks, contrast, and viewing angle. I about got it?

Thanks again Zardoz!
post #453 of 1549 Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpd View Post

Hey thanks Zardoz. Looked on the box and found the W, but it wasn't embedded in the S/N#. It was more like an extension of the model number. On my box, the full model# reads: 42LD450-UA.CUSWLH. But I'm a bit puzzled because the string doesn't end in "O", it just stops at the "H", I hoping that omission is due to the poster's set being a Sony and ours being an LG. What's the UA designation in there? Was this set headed to the Middle East, then somehow detoured to Amazon's warehouse or something?

So if I understand this correctly the three main advantages to the ISP panel is better graphics, better lag/response times, and less motion blur. On the flip side, the ISP panel are a little lacking when it comes to blacks, contrast, and viewing angle. I about got it?

Thanks again Zardoz!

Refer to the bottom of this post for decoding the product code, http://www.avforums.com/forums/12691371-post23.html. I don't think its entirely accurate (i.e., U = Asian market? Doubtful), but most of it sounds pretty reasonable.

And you are correct with the pros and cons of an IPS panel.
post #454 of 1549 Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 PM

No prob ericpd. I'm a lcd tv newb as well. I spent most of last Saturday on here looking at all sorts of info, most of which I didn't understand lol before running out to a store and buying the 32".

thepoohcontinuum's posts (especially the tests he's performed) are extremely informative and were the main reason why I bought this particular lcd.
post #455 of 1549 Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz04 View Post

No prob ericpd. I'm a lcd tv newb as well. I spent most of last Saturday on here looking at all sorts of info, most of which I didn't understand lol before running out to a store and buying the 32".

thepoohcontinuum's posts (especially the tests he's performed) are extremely informative and were the main reason why I bought this particular lcd.

Yeah,... you're right ole pooh has been very helpful.

@thepoohcontinuum: Big thanks for all your sharing friend! Great stuff!

If I'm reading pooh's link right, they just made my machine last month. Here's my S/#: 011FXBP0B525. So I'm decoding this as November 2010 for DOM, but the AVF post doesn't show an F,... just K=Korea, R=Russia and W=Poland. I'm gonna take a guess and say F=China. This thing here hasn't sat in a warehouse for a full month before finding it's way to our bedroom,... hell, days if you include boat and dock time. Wow,... don't know if that's good or bad. Sometimes late in the run of electronics and appliances, they start skimping on the quality of components as compared to those components originally spec'ed for the initial product run. This happens a lot, but we as consumers rarely are aware of it.

Thanks again guys!
post #456 of 1549 Old 12-01-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

I just notice the washout from a dark scene when viewing at an angle last night too with my 42" IPS when I had a movie paused on Boxee for PC. Boxee darkens the screen during a pause. It only seems to happen when I am above the level of the TV. If I stay at center screen level and move left or right, doesn't seem to bad. But as soon as I move up, I notice a bad washout on dark sceens. Not really a problem for me. The non IPS I returned had real bad washout and color shift on any scene at an angle.

As for the the dimming at the edge, it is extremely hard to notice on my TV. I can see it a little, but only when the whole screen is white. Even then it is hard to see on this TV. I tried to photograph this last night. But you can't see the dimming in the pic.
Do you have the IPS pannel flammie?

Yeah, apparently it is an IPS, since product code is 42LD450-UA.CUSWLH. I finally borrowed a camera, so I took a couple of pics of the issue I have.

I think the silvery glow on dark content that you see at an extreme angle is standard for ips screens. I see it also with my tv and my Ultrasharp 2209wa, which uses an e-ips panel monitor.
LL
LL
post #457 of 1549 Old 12-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie View Post

Yeah, apparently it is an IPS, since product code is 42LD450-UA.CUSWLH. I finally borrowed a camera, so I took a couple of pics of the issue I have.

I think the silvery glow on dark content that you see at an extreme angle is standard for ips screens. I see it also with my tv and my Ultrasharp 2209wa, which uses an e-ips panel monitor.

yep i notice that effect to and i also have that dell 2209wa

LG also makes the panel inside the 2209wa
post #458 of 1549 Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 AM

anyone know why http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/ is down?

Edit: found out http://www.lg-hack.info/cgi-bin/sn_f...914&pg=1&sc=20

LG

Quote:

As for LG and DCMA.
LG already used DCMA against lg-hack.
Removed few old threads (some months ago).

post #459 of 1549 Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 AM

OK,... anyone pairing up the 42LD450 with LG's BD530 Network BluRay player?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00400NL02/...3190_pe_epc_d1

Was thinking of picking one of these up, but I thought I'd ask in here first. Maybe there's another sub $100 unit that's a better buy I'm unaware of. The networking capabilities of the 530 interested me,... off the top, I'm thinking it's an opportunity to get some of the features carried on the 42LD550. Good assumption or no?

Not noticing any dark areas around the edges,... at least not yet. And the viewing angle is as good as we'll ever need. Peeking out of the master bath's double doors with a toothbrush stuck in my mouth every time something interesting popped up on MSNBC is about the most extreme angle we would ever be viewing the screen. Passed that test this morning with very little pain.
post #460 of 1549 Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM

One more Q if I may. How can I determine if the HDMI cable the FiOS guy gave me is a High Speed cable?
post #461 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM

In Canada I purchased the 32LD450 with the full product code 32LD450-UA.CCCLDH. I checked another city's retailer (my city was all out of the model of TV) and the code found is 32LD450-UA.CCWLHO.

The information provided here has been that the "W" in the product code is the IPS panel, but then what would a "C"-type panel be?

I've noticed the washing out of blacks from the left/right angles and I am trying to determine if it would be worthwhile to return the panel and order from another city.
post #462 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perogy1 View Post

In Canada I purchased the 32LD450 with the full product code 32LD450-UA.CCCLDH. I checked another city's retailer (my city was all out of the model of TV) and the code found is 32LD450-UA.CCWLHO.

The information provided here has been that the "W" in the product code is the IPS panel, but then what would a "C"-type panel be?

I've noticed the washing out of blacks from the left/right angles and I am trying to determine if it would be worthwhile to return the panel and order from another city.

Its the 4th character of the last segment you want to look at. So given your examples, you have an "L" panel. Which is something that I've never encountered before.

If you have a decent camera, take a macro photo of the display so we can try to determine the pixel structure. If that doesn't work, peek through the vents near the bottom of the TV and find a panel sticker. See if you can identify anything like "AUO" or "IPS Alpha" or whatever else.
post #463 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Any "Westinghouse LVM-37w3se" owners here that upgraded to the LD450? Or perhaps variations of that model, like the LVM-W4207?

I know the Westy 37 has bad blacks, but how do they compare to the LD450? Are they better or worse? How about shadow detail?

I already have the KDL-40EX400 as well as the LN40C500 sitting in my desk, waiting for me to make a choice. The EX400 fails 4:4:4 big time, although everything else is rather impressive. The C500 passes 4:4:4, but locks Sharpness at "20" and Color at "50" (looks extremely dull, and still not as sharp as my Westy 37). They both have major drawbacks, which pretty much leaves me with the LD450 as my only choice.

-I read that "Game Mode" supports 4:4:4, but does it block any features like the C500 does? Or are all the picture adjustments still available?
-Also, for people who upgraded, is the LD450 just as sharp/clear with text as the Westinghouse?
-Lastly, is there any difference between sizes? I'm going for either the 37" or the 42". I know is harder to keep viewing angles in larger screens, because one needs to sit farther away, but is there ANY other difference? Is the Lag on the 42" greater than the 37"?

Ok, thanks a lot, and hopefully you guys can help me. I need to make a choice fast, before the return window runs out on the EX400 and the C500.
post #464 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin75 View Post

-I read that "Game Mode" supports 4:4:4, but does it block any features like the C500 does? Or are all the picture adjustments still available?

The LG xxLD450's 'Game Mode' doesn't really do anything for input lag, so most people set it to 'ISF Expert' mode. In this mode, all settings are available for user customization.

However, when you set the TV to 'Just Scan' processing (aka 1:1 pixel match mode), there are a few settings that become locked in ISF Expert mode. Things like Real Cinema and xvYCC are locked to a 'Off' setting, but all the important settings are still open.
post #465 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

The LG xxLD450's 'Game Mode' doesn't really do anything for input lag, so most people set it to 'ISF Expert' mode. In this mode, all settings are available for user customization.

However, when you set the TV to 'Just Scan' processing (aka 1:1 pixel match mode), there are a few settings that become locked in ISF Expert mode. Things like Real Cinema and xvYCC are locked to a 'Off' setting, but all the important settings are still open.

Does it still pass 4:4:4 in "ISF Expert"?
post #466 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin75 View Post

Does it still pass 4:4:4 in "ISF Expert"?

Yup it does, my 4:4:4 test result was done in ISF Expert / Just Scan mode. I have a theory that as long as you're in 1080p resolution, I think the LD450 supports 4:4:4 in every mode.
post #467 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie View Post

I just got an 42LD450. It looks like the left and right sides of the tv, about 1" from each side are noticeably dimmer than the rest of the tv. Does anyone else have this issue? I looked straight on the edges just in case it was a viewing angle issue, but its still there. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera so I can't take a good picture of it.

I just got my 32LD450 2 days ago from Amazon and I have this issue. Left and right borders appear to be dimmer. Not much, just slightly enough to be noticeable. Mine is an IPS panel according to the product code and using it 100% as a computer monitor and watch movies about 90% of the time. Definitely feels like a vignette effect and being 3 feet away, it makes me feel like I have tunnel vision as well. Not a total distraction, but I can live with it. Most of my family and friends don't even notice it until I mention it.

One question is the whites don't seem to be white enough. In movies it looks fine, but on the desktop windows, the whites are definitely more grayish. I am using unlabeled input and default game mode. Anyway to make the whites whiter without overblowing brightness and contrast of everything else?

Thanks.
post #468 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Its the 4th character of the last segment you want to look at. So given your examples, you have an "L" panel. Which is something that I've never encountered before.

If you have a decent camera, take a macro photo of the display so we can try to determine the pixel structure. If that doesn't work, peek through the vents near the bottom of the TV and find a panel sticker. See if you can identify anything like "AUO" or "IPS Alpha" or whatever else.

The information found:

AU Optronics
AMA6004 Model No. T315HW04 V.8

I'm guessing it's a TN panel and not IPS.
post #469 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf678 View Post

One question is the whites don't seem to be white enough. In movies it looks fine, but on the desktop windows, the whites are definitely more grayish. I am using unlabeled input and default game mode. Anyway to make the whites whiter without overblowing brightness and contrast of everything else?

Thanks.

Try my settings which can be found here, link

Quote:
Originally Posted by perogy1 View Post

The information found:

AU Optronics
AMA6004 Model No. T315HW04 V.8

I'm guessing it's a TN panel and not IPS.

From random googling, looks like "T315HW04" is a MVA panel type. Found in other TVs such as Sony EX400 and Samsung C530/C650. (example). Regardless, definitely try to find one with a S-IPS panel, you'll definitely like the image quality more.
post #470 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Just picked up a 37LD450 last night. I am coming from a CRT (Sony FW900) and was hoping to find an LCD to finally replace it.

Main use is as a computer monitor, seems highly regarded for that in our forum.

Here are my observations so far:

1) I got one that supposedly has an S-IPS panel (UA.CCCWLH), from the poor colors, inconsistencies over the panel when sitting about 3-4 feet away I highly doubt it's an S-IPS.

2) Unable to properly see panel info from the back grating, so unsure about the panel type. Tried takeing pictures of the pixels but I only currently have my cellphone camera, looks like an MVA panel of some sort.

3) Unable to get into the service menu to verify panel type, can anyone help me? Link in previous posts seems dead, tried the IR method with my phone but didn't seem to work (although method was for another model)

4) I can see some ghosting and the text is not great. Knew that before hand but might be a usefull observation for other people.

5) Still can't dial it in properly, so I will most prob get an i1displayLT to help give this set the best chance of replacing the CRT in terms of color.

That's it for now :-)

Will try to read up on how to check it is displaying proper 4:4:4 . If you guys want any tests vs a CRT let me know (both are beside each other for now). Just guide me to a link with the procedure since this is my first LCD and it is a learning curve.

My thoughts is I will experiment with this maybe for a week after getting it calibrated properly, If I have a better chance of an S-IPS with 32 inch I will go down in size for quality (although pricier in my area).
post #471 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawashdeh View Post

1) I got one that supposedly has an S-IPS panel (UA.CCCWLH), from the poor colors, inconsistencies over the panel when sitting about 3-4 feet away I highly doubt it's an S-IPS.

2) Unable to properly see panel info from the back grating, so unsure about the panel type. Tried takeing pictures of the pixels but I only currently have my cellphone camera, looks like an MVA panel of some sort.

Are you absolutely sure you have the product code correct? Cause if what you said is correct, your "W" code will be the first that goes against the S-IPS identification trick. Something which has been validated by many other owners.

Quote:

3) Unable to get into the service menu to verify panel type, can anyone help me? Link in previous posts seems dead, tried the IR method with my phone but didn't seem to work (although method was for another model)

No comment.

Quote:

4) I can see some ghosting and the text is not great. Knew that before hand but might be a usefull observation for other people.

Ghosting should not be an issue (assuming it really is an S-IPS panel). I play some fast paced FPS's with harsh lighting (ex. Resident Evil 5) and I haven't noticed any ghosting / streaking. As for text, considering you came from the awesome Sony FW900 (I had one once, it was godly), your expectations might be a bit too high. Even the most awesome LCD TV out there can't compete.

Quote:

5) Still can't dial it in properly, so I will most prob get an i1displayLT to help give this set the best chance of replacing the CRT in terms of color.

Try using my settings (found a page earlier) as a starting point. Most people seem to like it.

Quote:

Will try to read up on how to check it is displaying proper 4:4:4 . If you guys want any tests vs a CRT let me know (both are beside each other for now). Just guide me to a link with the procedure since this is my first LCD and it is a learning curve.

To do a 4:4:4 test, see this post - link. To do a input lag test, check out the first post in the input lag wars thread.
post #472 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the reply thepoohcontinuum, here are my further results

Definetly a W there. Only way to know the panel for sure seems to be getting into the service menu. I took the following pic after playing with the N95's camera and photoshop, could be chevron shaped (S-IPS) but need a cleaner pic, will see if I can borrow a better camera.

I used your settings actually, a little better ( I was on Pbc's first set of settings, but I believe he found out his panel with an AUO, so prob doesn't translate well if I do indeed have the S-IPS)

Will be doing a 4:4:4 test and an input lag test soon when I get that better camera.

In the mean time I was running through checkmon and noticed something weird with the convergence dots test.

I can clearly see a red pixel to the left of each white dot, On a CRT this is a big no-no (plus can be easily adjusted), I believe LCD's convergence is set in the panel hardware so I can't adjust anything correct?
post #473 of 1549 Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I can clearly see a red pixel to the left of each white dot, On a CRT this is a big no-no (plus can be easily adjusted), I believe LCD's convergence is set in the panel hardware so I can't adjust anything correct?

In 1080p 1:1 pixel match mode (aka 'Just Scan' on the LD450), convergence problems on LCDs should be non-existent. On CRTs, convergence is an issue of misaligned cathode tubes. But since each LCD pixel is discretely manipulated through a digital controller, there shouldn't be CRT'ish problems on a LCD.

Question for you though, what is your video source coming from? Is it hooked up to a PC/laptop? With an Nvidia card? If so, a few folks with nvidia cards have experienced horrible image quality with the LD450. Fortunately nuker43 has developed a fix for it and you can find it here.

Other than that, I dunno what's going on. Like i said earlier, maybe your expectations are just too high since you came from the FW900
post #474 of 1549 Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I used your settings actually, a little better ( I was on Pbc's first set of settings, but I believe he found out his panel with an AUO, so prob doesn't translate well if I do indeed have the S-IPS)
Try the fastest, sure fire method of determining your panel type: Simply drag a knuckle lightly across the screen. If it leaves a "trail" (similar to a phosphor trail) or a ripple then it's NOT an IPS panel. No trail/ripple and you're looking at an IPS. It may not create a super noticeable reaction, but it'll do something in the area you apply pressure. This works best on darker colors. Gray works well. It's harder to see on white. Regardless, you might be dealing with a sheep in wolf's clothing.
post #475 of 1549 Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:

In 1080p 1:1 pixel match mode (aka 'Just Scan' on the LD450), convergence problems on LCDs should be non-existent. On CRTs, convergence is an issue of misaligned cathode tubes. But since each LCD pixel is discretely manipulated through a digital controller, there shouldn't be CRT'ish problems on a LCD.

Question for you though, what is your video source coming from? Is it hooked up to a PC/laptop? With an Nvidia card? If so, a few folks with nvidia cards have experienced horrible image quality with the LD450. Fortunately nuker43 has developed a fix for it and you can find it here.

Other than that, I dunno what's going on. Like i said earlier, maybe your expectations are just too high since you came from the FW900

Source is an ATI 5850 through an HDMI cable to an unlabelled input.

Currenlty at 0% overscan and GPU scaling on, 60HZ refresh rate, YCbCr 4:4:4.

I took the following pics of the covergence dot test, best I could but too much chromatic abberation in the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by De3k View Post

Try the fastest, sure fire method of determining your panel type: Simply drag a knuckle lightly across the screen. If it leaves a "trail" (similar to a phosphor trail) or a ripple then it's NOT an IPS panel. No trail/ripple and you're looking at an IPS. It may not create a super noticeable reaction, but it'll do something in the area you apply pressure. This works best on darker colors. Gray works well. It's harder to see on white. Regardless, you might be dealing with a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Confirmed S-IPS, thanks De3k.

Here is a better pic as well:

post #476 of 1549 Old 12-03-2010, 07:42 PM

I ran your convergence dot test, and I don't see any bizarre aberrations going on. See this pic -- link. Its a macro shot I took that shows a dot and my mouse cursor right next to it. Sorry about the fringing around the pixels, my camera's sensor isn't the best.
post #477 of 1549 Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM

That's a pretty damn good picture actually, very clean. What camera are you using?

I am testing with a Canon powershot A590IS, need to learn it's features better to see if I can get such a good picture out of it.

Anyway, convergence seems spot on, let me see if I can replicate a better pic.
post #478 of 1549 Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:

That's a pretty damn good picture actually, very clean. What camera are you using?

I am testing with a Canon powershot A590IS, need to learn it's features better to see if I can get such a good picture out of it.

Anyway, convergence seems spot on, let me see if I can replicate a better pic.

Panasonic DMC-ZS7 (what I use for all my tests in case others are wondering). Auto settings for everything. Also, my computer setup is pretty much identical to yours -- Windows 7 x64, ATI 5850 w/ Catalyst 10.9, all driver settings are default, and 1080p at 60 Hz.
post #479 of 1549 Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Well, here is my 4:4:4 test,

Forgive the quality, Not too sure if it's a pass ,opinions?

post #480 of 1549 Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM

I lost the panel lottery with a 37LE5300 I just ordered from Amazon so I'll need to send it back. Has anyone ordered a 37" LD450 from Amazon recently? Does anyone have any idea what ones chances of getting an IPS panel with a smaller LD450 are? Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays