Official LG XXLD450 Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here is my pre-lim results for input lag vs a CRT. Both running 1920*1080 (although crt weirdly detect feed as 85hz vs 60 hz as set in ATI control panel).

LCD on expert 2 with everything disabled, fed via unlabelled HDMI cable, crt fed clonned signal via VGA cable.

Results: 30-60ms lag (2-4 frames)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawashdeh View Post

Well, here is my 4:4:4 test,

Forgive the quality, Not too sure if it's a pass ,opinions?

Doesn't look like it. You can see faint red pixels in areas that should be perfectly black.

Quote:

So here is my pre-lim results for input lag vs a CRT. Both running 1920*1080 (although crt weirdly detect feed as 85hz vs 60 hz as set in ATI control panel).

LCD on expert 2 with everything disabled, fed via unlabelled HDMI cable, crt fed clonned signal via VGA cable.

Results: 30-60ms lag (2-4 frames)

Very strange. You have an S-IPS panel and your PC setup is identical to mine, but your results are completely opposite to mine (you fail 4:4:4 while I pass, and your lag is bad but mine is good).

You're in 'Just Scan' mode right? Also, what's the manufacture date of your set? And are you using the HDMI port on the back of the TV?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hey

I understand that this set is great as a pc monitor and gaming . Not many people comment on the quality of watching fast action movies ( bluray) and sports .

Can anybody share personal experiences ? . If its good for fast movie scenes and sports , then I will definitely consider picking one up

Thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Hey

I understand that this set is great as a pc monitor and gaming . Not many people comment on the quality of watching fast action movies ( bluray) and sports .

Can anybody share personal experiences ? . If its good for fast movie scenes and sports , then I will definitely consider picking one up

Thanks
movies and fast moving sports i would consider a plasma tv
Old 12-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo View Post
movies and fast moving sports i would consider a plasma tv
Thanks jangaboo

I like to stick with a lcd .

Maybe i will try out the 47ld450 and see for myself . Heres another tv i was looking at http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...8a150fce55en02
Old 12-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Thanks jangaboo

I like to stick with a lcd .

Maybe i will try out the 47ld450 and see for myself . Heres another tv i was looking at http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...8a150fce55en02
might want to check this one out to 42LD520 42" 120HZ 2MS http://forums.redflagdeals.com/lg-42...refixid=Elect9
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo View Post

might want to check this one out to 42LD520 42" 120HZ 2MS http://forums.redflagdeals.com/lg-42...refixid=Elect9

I was looking at that model too , the 47ld520 but theres a price diference of 200 more for the 520 .

was hoping to get a few opinions from people who own this set ld450 and can comment on how it performs with movies and sports
Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 AM

For those LD450 owners that are trying to get into the "EZ Adjust" service menu and have a Logitech Harmony remote, here's a hidden gem I found that allows you to do so http://harmonylghack.wikispaces.com/. Note: the password to get into EZ Adjust is 0413.

I did this on my 32 LD450 (US version) w/ 03.04.33 firmware, w/ a Harmony 550 remote, and the directions worked perfectly fine.

I also tried out the "enable Divx" trick to enable video playback via USB drive, and it worked. To do this, go to Tool Option3 and set Divx to 1. Video and sound from my sample movie files came out just fine.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the 32ld450 have a set of RCA audio outs? And can you disable the internal speakers so that audio only comes out from them? Can you disable any processing of the audio as well? And is there any issue with using the headphone jack in lieu of the above? I am hoping I can achieve a similar setup like my Panny 32lz800 where I have a computer, PS3, and Wii all hooked up to the TV and the TV is hooked up to some decent desktop speakers via RCA cables.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

For those LD450 owners that are trying to get into the "EZ Adjust" service menu and have a Logitech Harmony remote, here's a hidden gem I found that allows you to do so http://harmonylghack.wikispaces.com/. Note: the password to get into EZ Adjust is 0413.

I did this on my 32 LD450 (US version) w/ 03.04.33 firmware, w/ a Harmony 550 remote, and the directions worked perfectly fine.

I also tried out the "enable Divx" trick to enable video playback via USB drive, and it worked. To do this, go to Tool Option3 and set Divx to 1. Video and sound from my sample movie files came out just fine.

My firmware is 3.05.00 Anyone know if this is the latest version? I can't find any info on LG's website.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post

Does the 32ld450 have a set of RCA audio outs? And can you disable the internal speakers so that audio only comes out from them? Can you disable any processing of the audio as well? And is there any issue with using the headphone jack in lieu of the above? I am hoping I can achieve a similar setup like my Panny 32lz800 where I have a computer, PS3, and Wii all hooked up to the TV and the TV is hooked up to some decent desktop speakers via RCA cables.

There aren't any dedicated RCA audio output jacks. I have RCA out coming from of the headphone jack, fed in to my amp. The internal speakers are disabled when the headphone jack is being used. My Wii & computer all route through the TV to my amp.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 PM

UPDATE:

After much deliberation and hours of OCD tweaking, I've relented. Yesterday, I returned my 32LD450 in exchange for a new Blu-ray player (my old Samsung died) and a Sony surround sound speaker bar (the built-ins on my 50" plasma are starting to produce some ... strange sounds).

For me, the poor black level performance was the nail in the coffin. I was unable to achieve better than 0.2 cd/m2 without making serious compromises. I was able to claw my way into 0.1 territory by altering gamma and sacrificing the clarity of my whites, but that's not a trade-off I'm willing to make.

For those of you who aren't unapologetic, rabid sticklers for PQ, the LD450 is a fantastic HDTV. It's one of the best - if not THE best - options for PC use that exists at the moment considering factors like 4:4:4, input lag, panel response and sharpness controls (for text). If I used my rig purely for gaming, I probably would have been 100% satisfied with the LG. However, when Blu-ray viewing enters the equation, the weak black level is simply too much of a drawback.

Too bad, really. I'm back on my 24" HP IPS, which manages 0.1 cd/m2 without any trade-offs. Don't get me wrong, 0.1 is still garbage, but the text is pin sharp and it's a step in the right direction. Ultimately, I'll suffer until something more appropriate appears.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De3k View Post

UPDATE:

After much deliberation and hours of OCD tweaking, I've relented. Yesterday, I returned my 32LD450 in exchange for a new Blu-ray player (my old Samsung died) and a Sony surround sound speaker bar (the built-ins on my 50" plasma are starting to produce some ... strange sounds).

For me, the poor black level performance was the nail in the coffin. I was unable to achieve better than 0.2 cd/m2 without making serious compromises. I was able to claw my way into 0.1 territory by altering gamma and sacrificing the clarity of my whites, but that's not a trade-off I'm willing to make.

For those of you who aren't unapologetic, rabid sticklers for PQ, the LD450 is a fantastic HDTV. It's one of the best - if not THE best - options for PC use that exists at the moment considering factors like 4:4:4, input lag, panel response and sharpness controls (for text). If I used my rig purely for gaming, I probably would have been 100% satisfied with the LG. However, when Blu-ray viewing enters the equation, the weak black level is simply too much of a drawback.

Too bad, really. I'm back on my 24" HP IPS, which manages 0.1 cd/m2 without any trade-offs. Don't get me wrong, 0.1 is still garbage, but the text is pin sharp and it's a step in the right direction. Ultimately, I'll suffer until something more appropriate appears.

Cheers!

You'll be back -- 4:4:4 is a drug Thanks for your help here and on avforums, and let me know if you ever find that awesome tv. Eventually I'll get fed up with the LD450 too
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Well I've been playing with my settings for a week now. Just to recap I am using it 100% as a computer monitor to watch movies and some games. No word processing or web browsing. Using an nvidia video card, using the YCbCr4:4:4 setting with unlabeled input.

I used Expert1 and plugged in Pooh's settings and another person's (sorry forgot the name) day settings for IRE and color. Whites are better. R, G, B's look fairly accurate by my eye. But there seems to be a weird problem with skin tones. On pinkish skin tones, like on people with fair complexion being in a well lit area, it seems overly bright and very pink. On lightly tan, or light brown skins, it makes the person look dull and zombielike.

I've tried changing some of the color and tint values, but nothing seems to really fix the skin tone problems. So I can either have good color and bad skin tone, or average skin tone, and poor color.

It's the strangest thing and am wondering if maybe that is the way it is supposed to look. The best example I can think of is just this past weekend on Saturday Night Live with Robert De Niro hosting. While he is doing his monologue his face is like a tanned brown color and his face looks very dull brown. Should be able to find a clip on youtube to compare.

Maybe I'm just not used to the color accuracy of an IPS panel? I was using a 24" MVA panel previously. Never noticed anything strange on skin tones with that before.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf678 View Post

Maybe I'm just not used to the color accuracy of an IPS panel? I was using a 24" MVA panel previously. Never noticed anything strange on skin tones with that before.

What size is your set?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:36 PM

I have the 32LD450.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf678 View Post
I have the 32LD450.
I don't suppose you have a reference pic you could send me so I can check this out? I also have the 32" but flesh tones don't really bother me -- but this could be a case of "I don't know any better".
Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
UPDATE:

After much deliberation and hours of OCD tweaking, I've relented. Yesterday, I returned my 32LD450 in exchange for a new Blu-ray player and a Sony surround sound speaker bar.

I wonder how does LG 32LD350 (720p) black level hold up against 32LD450. Televisioninfo.com web site said that LG 32LD350 have much better black level than 32LD450.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 AM

the weird skin tones, if you have a 2009 or older LG set i'd chose Natural picture mode otherwise i've been using the game preset mode and setting skin to -5 in advanced options
Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Hey guys!
I am planning on upgrading my LG 32LF11 TV that i purchased over a year ago. Currently it works great as a PC monitor, not sure if the passes 4:4:4 but text is buttery smooth and picture quality is great.

I am going to be using the TV 95% of the time as my PC monitor . Lots of audio production, decent amount of gaming, and just normal every day use. Maybe watch a few movies and TV shows here and there, but rarely as the only TV show i currently watch is The Walking Dead.

I recently purchased a 42" Panasonic Viera on black friday for a price i couldnt turn down. Unfortunately i found out that it is going to be horrible for a PC screen so I upgraded my parents TV

2 Days ago i purchased the equivalent Panasonic TV (TC-L42U25) 120hz LCD. I got a great deal from a friend who works at sears, nearly 1/3 off retail and 120hz sold me. I didint have time to research it because it was a specific sale only going on for the night. To my disappointment i looked at the input lag thread and this TV doesnt pass 4:4:4 which is an issue for me.

I am looking to return the panny and purchasing a 37LD450!

Is the 37 model going to pass 4:4:4 like the 32" does? Is it even worth upgrading my 32LF11 model for the 37LD450?

It will be hooked up to
Onkyo TX-SR707 via HDMI to my PC via HDMI (nvidia GTX460 graphic card)

Any input is appreciated
Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enphenate View Post

Maybe watch a few movies and TV shows here and there, but rarely as the only TV show i currently watch is The Walking Dead.

Too bad we have to wait till October for season 2

Quote:

Is the 37 model going to pass 4:4:4 like the 32" does? Is it even worth upgrading my 32LF11 model for the 37LD450?

Definitive 4:4:4 and low lag proof have been shown for the 32" and 42" S-IPS versions. However, rawashdeh's 37" S-IPS results show the complete opposite. So currently its a mystery whether there's something fundamentally different with the 37" version, or if LG is using different firmware, or if rawashdeh has a bad test setup (which I don't think is the case, since he seems to know what he's talking about).

Specwise, between the LF11 and LD450, I don't see any major difference. The only *potential* difference that you may see is if your LF11 is non S-IPS -- as a LD450 with S-IPS panel will definitely have better colors (but crummy black levels). Also, the LD450 supports bluray 24p playback via 3:2 pulldown. But since you're hooking it up to a PC, this capability probably wouldn't mean much to you anyways.

So if you're perfectly happy with your current LF11, "upgrading" to a LD450 will yield negligible gains, imo.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:

UPDATE:

Cheers!

Noooooooooo!

Do you happen to still have the settings you used to get it at what you believe would be it's "best"?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

Too bad we have to wait till October for season 2

Definitive 4:4:4 and low lag proof have been shown for the 32" and 42" S-IPS versions. However, rawashdeh's 37" S-IPS results show the complete opposite. So currently its a mystery whether there's something fundamentally different with the 37" version, or if LG is using different firmware, or if rawashdeh has a bad test setup (which I don't think is the case, since he seems to know what he's talking about).

Specwise, between the LF11 and LD450, I don't see any major difference. The only *potential* difference that you may see is if your LF11 is non S-IPS -- as a LD450 with S-IPS panel will definitely have better colors (but crummy black levels). Also, the LD450 supports bluray 24p playback via 3:2 pulldown. But since you're hooking it up to a PC, this capability probably wouldn't mean much to you anyways.

So if you're perfectly happy with your current LF11, "upgrading" to a LD450 will yield negligible gains, imo.

Sigh. I hope he comes back and reports his settings / FW and stuff.

I have been planning on upgrading for a while and my friend wants to buy my current 32LF11 off of me.

I would like to move a size or two higher but it feels like 42" might be a little too big for sitting 3/4 feet away. the weird situation with the 37" is really discouraging.

I guess ill just have to wait and see. Probably going to return the 42" panny in the next few days and hopefully get some info on wether or not the 37 is a dud.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Well I am planning on doing a side by side comparison of the 37 and 32 inch versions, I have a feeling I might have a dud on the 37 so definetly further testing needed there. I finally figured out how to get into the service menu on this set so I guess I should be able to tell the firmware.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Well I am planning on doing a side by side comparison of the 37 and 32 inch versions, I have a feeling I might have a dud on the 37 so definetly further testing needed there. I finally figured out how to get into the service menu on this set so I guess I should be able to tell the firmware.

Sounds good! let us know of the results Im going to hold off on purchasing one of these until i figure things out or i can just grab the 42" but id prefer the 37.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:

To figure out which firmware you're using, hit Menu then the Red button (which is Customer Support, I think). One of the sub menus will tell you firmware version.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks thepoohcontinuum,

03.04.27 here.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks thepoohcontinuum,

03.04.27 here.

One of my 32" is 03.04.27, so I guess your issues isn't attributed to firmware version.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to dump a few close-ups of my 42LD450.
nVidia GTX 260, 4:4:4 output, very nice.

As a bonus, and piece of our only HDTV channel, mind the blockiness:

I'll post some more as time permits. Plan to test the input lag properly and do some PC gaming

A question: where to grab the latest firmware, and possibly a changelog?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 View Post

Just to dump a few close-ups of my 42LD450.
nVidia GTX 260, 4:4:4 output, very nice.

As a bonus, and piece of our only HDTV channel, mind the blockiness:

I'll post some more as time permits. Plan to test the input lag properly and do some PC gaming

A question: where to grab the latest firmware, and possibly a changelog?

Nice, thanks for more 4:4:4 evidence on the 42", much appreciated

As to where to get firmware, I have no clue. I've scoured through google results and couldn't find anything. If anyone knows, I would be interested as well.