Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1549 Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo2006a View Post

My 32LD450 doesnt pass 4:4:4 with hdmi-hdmi cable. But...with DVI-HDMI cable it does.

Thanks man, your post got me thinking...

Turns out something is fishy in my HDMI chain!

My ATI 4830 has dual DVI-D output and when I use the "official" ATI DVI-HDMI adapter (which passes the 48x0's audio to tv via HDMI) with an HDMI cable (Monoprice) I have fuzzy red text and it clearly fails 4:4:4.

Swapping to the other output with a DVI-VGA adapter gives me crisp red text and passes 4:4:4!

What to do, what to do...should I consider upgrading to a 57x0/58x0 series Radeon? Maybe something with dedicated HDMI out might fix things.

I'll try out a different HDMI cable later this week but I have a feeling that isn't the problem. Swapping the adapter for any other DVI-HDMI cable/adapter won't pass my Radeon's audio to the TV, so I'm not sold on that idea :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1549 Old 12-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrotumC View Post

What to do, what to do...should I consider upgrading to a 57x0/58x0 series Radeon? Maybe something with dedicated HDMI out might fix things.

I'll try out a different HDMI cable later this week but I have a feeling that isn't the problem. Swapping the adapter for any other DVI-HDMI cable/adapter won't pass my Radeon's audio to the TV, so I'm not sold on that idea :/

I have a ATI 4670 card with VGA, DVI and HDMI- I use the DVI out to my 19" viewsonic and the HDMI out to the LG.
post #543 of 1549 Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM

...so my HDMI passes 4:4:4 when I boot into my OS X install, but only if one DVI output is being used. If I leave my DVI-VGA connector on the 2nd input, it doesn't pass.

*sigh*
post #544 of 1549 Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM

OK finally had some time to mess around again and ive had some weird results.

I have been re-installing the NVIDIA drivers, applying the EDID fix, changing settings and taking photos non stop for the past 2 hours.

I think i have successfully secured 4:4:4 from my PC directly to my TV via HDMI. (normally I would have my PC hooked to my receiver which is in return hooked to the TV via HDMI) Looks amazing compared to when i plug my PC to my receiver to the TV.

I have achieved this after many photos (asuming this is proper 4:4:4). Also confirmed this is an IPS panel.
HDMI input 1
Input NOT labeled PC
Standard Image settings (not sports/game/etc)

Now this is the issue im having. When i plug my PC to my receiver via HDMI, I am getting the results below which clearly fail 4:4:4. I think my Onkyo 707 is doing some video processing or messing with the IQ somehow.

I wonder why via my receiver things start screwing up hmmmmm... It could be a faulty HDMI cord from my TV to the receiver because sometimes i get a bunch of distortion and noise but i dont think it would make 4:4:4 fail.

I guess if it comes down to it i can just plug my GTX460 straight to my TV, and than my receiver to my PC via digital S/PDIF but that negates the whole part of trying to pass audio/video via hdmi

Anyone have any idea of whats going on here?
LL
LL
LL
post #545 of 1549 Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
...so my HDMI passes 4:4:4 when I boot into my OS X install, but only if one DVI output is being used. If I leave my DVI-VGA connector on the 2nd input, it doesn't pass.

*sigh*
Hmm, based on everyone's ATI results, looks like the problem is dependent on the chipset. Perhaps those that are eyefinity capable or not?

For me, I have a ASUS ATI 5850, which is eyefinity capable. I have two 32" connected to both DVI ports (via dvi->hdmi) and the third 32" connected to the displayport (via active dp->dvi->hdmi). All three 32" pass 4:4:4 simultaneously.

Since the ATI 4xxx series is not eyefinity capable, maybe it lacks necessary hardware to run 2+ displays at full strength.
post #546 of 1549 Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM

two different settings based on how you setup video options for ps3 or xbox 360

Xbox 360 standard and PS3 Limited - grayscale 16-235
Xbox 360 Expanded and PS3 Full - grayscale 0-255

My settings aren't calibrated with equipment

settings i use but try running picture wizard and compare to what your eyes like best

Picture Mode = Game
Backlight = 70-100
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 50
color = 70-100 for video games, 50-60 for movies
tint = 0
color temperature = medium or centered
dynamic contrast = off
dynamic color = off
clear white = off (try changing to low/high see what you like best)
skin color = 0 (negative gives skin pink red tones positive is yellow)
noise reductions = off
Gamma = low
Black level = LOW
eye care = off
color gamut = wide
edge enhancement = off

Input Label = PC (might help get 4:4:4 chroma)
Picture Mode = Game
Backlight = 70-100
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 50
color = 70-100 for video games, 50-60 for movies
tint = 0
color temperature = medium or centered
dynamic contrast = off
dynamic color = off
clear white = off (try changing to low/high see what you like best)
skin color = 0 (negative gives skin pink red tones positive is yellow)
noise reductions = off
Gamma = low
Black level = HIGH
eye care = off
color gamut = wide
edge enhancement = off

red dead on ps3 and black ops on 360

post #547 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone who has previously owned a Panasonic 32lz800 can compare it to the ld450 for black levels and contrast? Or they basically the same sort of IPS panel with similar blacks?
post #548 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 last night and installed the catalyst drivers for Linux...no matter what I tried, no 4:4:4...just like Windows 7. Yet, I've seen it pass in OS X, so I know the cable+DVI-HDMI dongle is working and that the TV is capable.

What gives?

I've tried every iteration of swapping DVI outputs on my video card and HDMI inputs on my TV...completely wiping out and reinstalling drivers...EDID override registry keys or custom monitor .inf's.

I'm stumped.
post #549 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Hello All,

Picked up a 42LD450 (UA.CUSWLH) yesterday after much research here on AVS. A big thanks to all contributors!

I must say, I am thoroughly impressed. I plan to use it primarily as a computer monitor for my laptop(Dell M6500). I am an industrial designer and work from home. I do some occasional gaming (Black Ops and Rfactor) so a low lag panel was important.

My connection is DisplayPort to HDMI. Interestingly the 4:4:4 test fails using a Dell DP to DVI dongle, but passes using a cheap monoprice.com passive cable. Once you see the difference between a pass/fail 4:4:4 test, like Pooh says, "4:4:4 is a drug", you won't accept anything less.

I've also tested the lag on my panel, although I am probably somewhat flawed using my laptop's display for reference.

I've attached a few pictures documenting my results. If anyone has specific setup or test questions, please let me know.

Again, thanks for all the info. I am truly pleased with my purchase.
LL
LL
LL
post #550 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just picked up an s450.

Doesn't display 1920x1080p natively via my Zotac ION; I don't remember which gx offhand.

Pulled my cracked vizio gallevia which could do this fine. Also have run an ati hd3200 at 1920x1080 on the vizio. Hate to point the finger at the s450 but zotac nvida gx work 100% on the vizio....edid update needed? Geez?!

Nvidi drivers are pretty new but will check for an update when I get home.

I had to underscan to somethng like 1860 x 1050 ????

Using hdmi out direct to hdmi input 1.

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. IK
post #551 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 PM

I know I need to research the mentioned EDID fix merioned here but does Nvidia have an option like ATI to set 4:4:4?

Never saw it.....

post #552 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Anyone want to share some settings with the LG 37LD450 for gaming on the PS3?
post #553 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post

I know I need to research the mentioned EDID fix merioned here but does Nvidia have an option like ATI to set 4:4:4?

Never saw it.....

In the ATI world, there isn't a "enable 4:4:4" option either. Its just one of those things that happens or doesn't -- which is the mystery that's stumping us now.
post #554 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

With nothing better to do on a Friday night (), I decided to tinker around with my LD450's to see if I could replicate the "no 4:4:4" issue.

I dug out my old Windows Vista x64 with Nvidia 8800GT (DVI->HDMI, v178.24 drivers) computer and hooked it up to my LD450s. And it worked right off the bat and passed 4:4:4 beautifully; didn't even need to apply the EDID fix either. I used both HDMI1 and HDMI2 ports on the TV and image quality is identical.

I have an nVidia GTX260 and had to apply the EDID fix to get 4:4:4. My card also has only DVI ports so I have to use and DVI->HDMI adapter.
post #555 of 1549 Old 12-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzie View Post

Is anyone aware of the differences between the 32LD450 and the 32LD460?

Does know one know? I'm heavily considering buying this TV (LD460) in the coming days or weeks and would rather buy it knowing it was just a 450 with some regional differences or whatever the slight model difference means. But if it's a mystery then I guess I might just have to take the plunge, and return it if I need to.
post #556 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 AM

I don't use my HD3200 on my 450 or my old Vizio Gallevia but the 4:4:4 talk reminded me of this, maybe it's now a long-gone option with CCC? Or maybe it was a reg. hack?

Good news, I realized I was not on SCAN but 16:9 so the display is working w/ default 1920x1080 on my ION board (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M)

Now on to tweaking....

post #557 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:

I don't use my HD3200 on my 450 or my old Vizio Gallevia but the 4:4:4 talk reminded me of this, maybe it's now a long-gone option with CCC? Or maybe it was a reg. hack?

Good news, I realized I was not on SCAN but 16:9 so the display is working w/ default 1920x1080 on my ION board (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M)

Now on to tweaking....

The pixel format is still an option in the catalyst drivers...unfortunately, it doesn't make any difference for me.

I'm running out of things to troubleshoot...would changing PCI-E slots for my video card be worth it? I'm really grasping at straws.
post #558 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 last night and installed the catalyst drivers for Linux...no matter what I tried, no 4:4:4...just like Windows 7. Yet, I've seen it pass in OS X, so I know the cable+DVI-HDMI dongle is working and that the TV is capable.

What gives?

I've tried every iteration of swapping DVI outputs on my video card and HDMI inputs on my TV...completely wiping out and reinstalling drivers...EDID override registry keys or custom monitor .inf's.

I'm stumped.

I'm curious, you said that you installed the catalyst drivers for Linux, did you try using the open source ATI driver to see what happens? I'm using an NVIDIA card, but if you look at my post, when I was trying to get my 42LD450 to do 4:4:4 in Ubuntu I first tried booting off an Ubuntu 10.04 boot CD, which just uses the stock open source drivers, and it passed 4:4:4 on both my computer with an NVIDIA GT210 and a laptop with an Intel integrated display. However, when I tried booting with the actual NVIDIA binary driver, it failed 4:4:4! I had to do the EDID hack described in order to get it to pass. My understanding is that the video card talks to the TV and gets some piece of info (from the EDID data) that causes it to send something to the TV to have it enable chroma subsampling. With the NVIDIA card, you can override the EDID info that the TV sends to trick the video card into not seeing whatever it is that is causing it to enable this chroma subsampling mode. It appears as though the open source linux Intel & NVIDIA drivers probably aren't capable of telling the TV to enable the chroma subsampling mode. The open source ATI driver might be more capable, however, I'm not sure.
post #559 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNovaNick View Post

I'm curious, you said that you installed the catalyst drivers for Linux, did you try using the open source ATI driver to see what happens? I'm using an NVIDIA card, but if you look at my post, when I was trying to get my 42LD450 to do 4:4:4 in Ubuntu I first tried booting off an Ubuntu 10.04 boot CD, which just uses the stock open source drivers, and it passed 4:4:4 on both my computer with an NVIDIA GT210 and a laptop with an Intel integrated display. However, when I tried booting with the actual NVIDIA binary driver, it failed 4:4:4! I had to do the EDID hack described in order to get it to pass. My understanding is that the video card talks to the TV and gets some piece of info (from the EDID data) that causes it to send something to the TV to have it enable chroma subsampling. With the NVIDIA card, you can override the EDID info that the TV sends to trick the video card into not seeing whatever it is that is causing it to enable this chroma subsampling mode. It appears as though the open source linux Intel & NVIDIA drivers probably aren't capable of telling the TV to enable the chroma subsampling mode. The open source ATI driver might be more capable, however, I'm not sure.

I didn't spend too much time with the open source driver in Linux...I couldn't find any overscan properties. I guess it is a manual option you have to set in a config file somewhere. Your probably right that ATI's drivers are sending additional info that just isn't getting through to the TV that the open source drivers don't use. This sort of explains why OS X's driver works, which, to my knowledge, is made in house.
post #560 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I didn't spend too much time with the open source driver in Linux...I couldn't find any overscan properties. I guess it is a manual option you have to set in a config file somewhere. Your probably right that ATI's drivers are sending additional info that just isn't getting through to the TV that the open source drivers don't use. This sort of explains why OS X's driver works, which, to my knowledge, is made in house.

For you ATI guys, have you thought about flashing the bios on your video card? Might be something to look into if the bios is available for download.
post #561 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

It turns out I had the wrong value for the checksum in my custom monitor .inf when trying to disable the EDID extension block. Going through the process a second time in Ubuntu clued me in on it.

I now have 4:4:4 under Windows 7, but unfortunately no HDMI audio (since the EDID extension block is disabled).

I have onboard sound from my motherboard, so that will have to do. I'm kind of choked because it was very convenient having all my sources fed through my TV and into my ancient analog receiver.

Thanks to everyone that threw suggestions my way.
post #562 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm sorry if this has already been gone over, but I have looked and searched and haven't been able to find a whole lot of good info. I was wondering if there is any easy way to tell what kind of board is in the 42LD450. The salesman at the local electronics store, ABC Warehouse, convinced my mom (and me) to buy the 42LD450 (instead of Samsung LN40C530) because it had a better board. We were told that the 50 series have better boards than the 30 series (i.e. 550 vs. 530). The 42LD450 that she bought and took home did not look impressive to me, so I was wondering if maybe it was the board, but I have no way of telling if it is a cheaper board or not. Thanks for any help!
post #563 of 1549 Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:

It turns out I had the wrong value for the checksum in my custom monitor .inf when trying to disable the EDID extension block. Going through the process a second time in Ubuntu clued me in on it.

I now have 4:4:4 under Windows 7, but unfortunately no HDMI audio (since the EDID extension block is disabled).

I have onboard sound from my motherboard, so that will have to do. I'm kind of choked because it was very convenient having all my sources fed through my TV and into my ancient analog receiver.

...and the issues continue

Every time my machine goes to sleep it wakes up out of 4:4:4...if I reboot, it's fine. I don't feel like cleaning out my catalyst's and reinstalling everything again tonight.
post #564 of 1549 Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM

I've been reading through this thread and am a little worried about the panel lotto going on with this particular model. Does anyone know if LG has pretty much committed to IPS panels in this model any longer? Someone posted in this thread that the 47" model is only IPS, but no one commented on that for confirmation.

This seems like a great set, but know I'd be disappointed if I ended up with a VA panel or whatever else. It looks like I'll be getting this as a gift for Christmas, so I don't want to go through the hassle of a return to get the "W" model.

Thanks for any help, all!
post #565 of 1549 Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay119 View Post

I've been reading through this thread and am a little worried about the panel lotto going on with this particular model. Does anyone know if LG has pretty much committed to IPS panels in this model any longer? Someone posted in this thread that the 47" model is only IPS, but no one commented on that for confirmation.

This seems like a great set, but know I'd be disappointed if I ended up with a VA panel or whatever else. It looks like I'll be getting this as a gift for Christmas, so I don't want to go through the hassle of a return to get the "W" model.

Thanks for any help, all!

if this helps, i went to bestbuy and got my 32ld450 a few days back. There were only "w" panels there(aka IPS). it would appear that your chance of getting an IPS is decent. I do suggest buying in store though.
post #566 of 1549 Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Does the EDID fix disable HDMI audio by default? Or is the disabling of the extension block a tweak you added?

I need the HDMI audio output, and I was going to try and extract and add the 47" EDID to the driver...

post #567 of 1549 Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Does the EDID fix disable HDMI audio by default? Or is the disabling of the extension block a tweak you added?

I need the HDMI audio output, and I was going to try and extract and add the 47" EDID to the driver...
Adding the extracted EDID as is doesn't do anything for me. I need to disable the extension block in order to get 4:4:4...but even that is iffy, as it disappears when waking from sleep. Tried the latest cats 10.12, no diff.
post #568 of 1549 Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Adding the extracted EDID as is doesn't do anything for me. I need to disable the extension block in order to get 4:4:4...but even that is iffy, as it disappears when waking from sleep. Tried the latest cats 10.12, no diff.

I feel bad for saying this since it doesn't help you guys at all, but last night I tried out the hdmi port on my ATI card (so straight hdmi-hdmi connection to the TV), and 4:4:4 + audio works fine.

The one thing that's "unique" about my video card is that I flashed it long long ago with some sort of modified bios for overclocking purposes. Other than that, the rest of my system is normal. If you're feeling adventurous enough, see if you can find an updated bios for your card and see if it does anything.
post #569 of 1549 Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

I feel bad for saying this since it doesn't help you guys at all, but last night I tried out the hdmi port on my ATI card (so straight hdmi-hdmi connection to the TV), and 4:4:4 + audio works fine.

The one thing that's "unique" about my video card is that I flashed it long long ago with some sort of modified bios for overclocking purposes. Other than that, the rest of my system is normal. If you're feeling adventurous enough, see if you can find an updated bios for your card and see if it does anything.

I've looked for an updated bios and haven't found anything. In the past, I modified the existing bios to have higher clocks+voltage, but flashing back to default doesn't change things. I have a feeling if my card had a dedicated HDMI port, it probably would be fine...I suspect my DVI-HDMI dongle might be the choking point.

What version of Windows/Catalyst drivers are you using, pooh?

If I can't figure out this sleep issue, I'm going to use my VGA out.
post #570 of 1549 Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I've looked for an updated bios and haven't found anything. In the past, I modified the existing bios to have higher clocks+voltage, but flashing back to default doesn't change things. I have a feeling if my card had a dedicated HDMI port, it probably would be fine...I suspect my DVI-HDMI dongle might be the choking point.

What version of Windows/Catalyst drivers are you using, pooh?

If I can't figure out this sleep issue, I'm going to use my VGA out.
Windows 7 x64 (up to date via Windows Update), Catalyst 10.12 (installed all options, except the bloatware stuff like LOTRO), and ASUS ATI 5850 (which I believe is 100% identical to the ATI reference design). I never had to do any tricks or hack to get 4:4:4 -- just plug and play. The DVI->HDMI cable I use is from monoprice, the pinout on the dvi end is a single-link dvi-d format (like the one shown here).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page