Official LG XXLD450 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1549 Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
thepoohcontinuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Likes_Games View Post

From memory, my firmware is 03.05.00 - Does LG provide an easy way to update?

Anyone figure out what the "O" represents? The pixels look the same under a magnifying glass...

This is my first LCD so I don't know how to assess backlight "bleed". On a black screen, it does not look uniform at all - but it changes depending on the viewing angle - there is kind of a silvery "shimmer" that moves around as I change positions. So, I do not think that is backlight bleed. Seems just like an effect of the IPS panel type.

On a white screen mine looks a little vingetted at the corners. I might have the 1.5" slight darkening on the sides also, but it's hard to tell...

I am dissappointed a bit in the photo functionality, which was a big reason for my purchase. On my firmware, there's a bug in the "random" slideshow - makes no difference on or off, it does not randomize. I knew going into it about the stupid 10 second interval, but what I did not know is that I cannot force one photo to display longer than 5 minutes... It will either go back to the folder view or the "no signal" screensaver will come on... I do NOT like that part. As it is, it's OK for viewing photos, but this bug or design does not work well as a gigantic stand alone picture frame. In the store demo I don't remember even seeing the screensaver at all...

I'm thinking about getting a USB media player as a work around (connecting via HDMI).

Viewing angle is decent, but not the best I've seen in an LCD. I do like all the tuning options. One thing that's wierd is on the sharpness controlls, if you go all the way to zero it actually starts messing with the signal again and making it artificially blurry! Weird.

Also strange is that "dynamic contrast" seems to affect STILL images...why would that be? I just turn that off since I don't want to notice flickering brightness when playing games...

So, overall I have somewhat mixed feelings.

Thanks for the detailed review. You definitely have a niche use for this TV, so its good info for others that have similar needs.

I don't think LG makes their firmware updates publicly available. I've scoured the ends of the LG website, and can't find it at all. So I guess only a service tech can do it.

Its theorized that the last characters after the fourth character is the assembly plant designation. I have a "LH" and "LHO", and I certainly can't find any discernible differences between the two.

The shimmering effect is mostly due to the anti-glare / polarizer screen coating that LG uses. I have a Vizio 32" that also has a S-IPS panel, and the shimmering effect is less pronounced on that TV. Backlight bleed / uniformity is an issue with all LCD-based televisions, its just that some manufacturers are better about it than others (and unfortunately, LG isn't in the "better" group). Differences lie in diffuser materials used, light optimization during post-manufacturing, quality of the CCFL, etc.

For the crummy timer issues in photo mode, what happens if you set your TV in "Store Mode"? (Menu->Option->Mode Setting). Maybe while in Store Mode, it forces the TV to be in always-on mode -- worth a try. If that doesn't work out, your idea of using a small media box is a good idea. Those dinky lenovo nettops are pretty cheap and would work nicely probably.

As for dynamic contrast problem. No clue about that. At first I thought it might be due to the ambient light sensor, but I don't think the LD450 has one. Regardless, as you found out, most people just disable that feature anyways since it manipulates the image in ways you generally don't want.

If you decide to try out other TVs, let me know if you find a winner. I'm curious to know which TV is the best for a gigantic picture album

Quote:
Originally Posted by milcs View Post

Dear all,
I was just wondering if anyone has any way of watching videos through an HDD connected via USB to the LG42LD450.

Cheers,
M.

Out of the box, nope, the LD450 does not support video playback on the USB port. But if you can get into the EZ Adjust Service Menu, you can enable video playback by enabling the "Divx" attribute. I've done this and video playback works fine -- although some people have reported crashes with long duration videos.
thepoohcontinuum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1549 Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Newbie
 
MistrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread has convinced me to ditch the fancy features of high end sets, and settle on something that actually functions well enough for both game and television use.

I do have a couple of questions.

First, black levels. Obviously deep black levels help create a more immersing experience. Question is, will I be disappointed? I know that can largely depend on opinion from person to person, so let me give you an idea. My living room set is a Samsung LN52A750. I find the black levels on this television to be ample to create the intended experience.

Second, panel type. I may need some experts to weigh in here. As research has allowed me to discover, the LD450 was manufactured with different panels. Some contain a W designation, which signifies that it is a S-IPS panel. Theoretically, that's what I should be after. However, I noticed that some are also manufactured with the IPS Alpha panel technology. I'm wondering if this will be better.

IPS Alpha technology is supposed to be superior to S-IPS. Assuming the internals of the television are equal, shouldn't the Alpha panel offer better viewing angles, crisper overall movement of objects, and perhaps slightly deeper blacks? Is it this simple? I wonder. Maybe the S-IPS panel just implements better. It'd be great if we could compare these two panels out in the open with user submitted evidence.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

As a side note, is the LD450 series really the definitive choice for input lag, 4:4:4, etc?

The model I wish to purchase is the 47LD450.
MistrDave is offline  
post #723 of 1549 Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
thepoohcontinuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistrDave View Post

First, black levels. Obviously deep black levels help create a more immersing experience. Question is, will I be disappointed? I know that can largely depend on opinion from person to person, so let me give you an idea. My living room set is a Samsung LN52A750. I find the black levels on this television to be ample to create the intended experience.

Second, panel type. I may need some experts to weigh in here. As research has allowed me to discover, the LD450 was manufactured with different panels. Some contain a W designation, which signifies that it is a S-IPS panel. Theoretically, that's what I should be after. However, I noticed that some are also manufactured with the IPS Alpha panel technology. I'm wondering if this will be better.

IPS Alpha technology is supposed to be superior to S-IPS. Assuming the internals of the television are equal, shouldn't the Alpha panel offer better viewing angles, crisper overall movement of objects, and perhaps slightly deeper blacks? Is it this simple? I wonder. Maybe the S-IPS panel just implements better. It'd be great if we could compare these two panels out in the open with user submitted evidence.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

As a side note, is the LD450 series really the definitive choice for input lag, 4:4:4, etc?

The model I wish to purchase is the 47LD450.

I've never viewed a A750, so I can't give a direct comparison. But during my 4 months of using the LD450 as a PC monitor and PC gaming, I have never though to myself "gee, I wish blacks were blacker". Could the black levels be better? Certainly. But for me, the LD450 black levels are good enough and doesn't deter the "experience".

LD450's equipped with IPS Alpha panels are pretty rare. There's countless reports of "W" panels (S-IPS) and "D" panels (MVA), but there's only been one report of a "I" panel (IPS Alpha). But assuming you can find one, then yes, IPS Alpha panels are superior to S-IPS (theoretically speaking). I've only seen an IPS Alpha in the Panasonic U22, and when comparing it to the LD450 S-IPS, I still preferred the LG as it had better detail and colors. Although this might have been due to the lack of 4:4:4 support on the U22.

And yes, the LD450 is the definitive choice for 4:4:4 and low input lag. Or at the very least, the LD450 is the only TV where definitive proof is repeatedly available that shows these two key capabilities.
thepoohcontinuum is offline  
post #724 of 1549 Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Newbie
 
MistrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really appreciate your input.

Only one reported alpha LD450? Interesting. I guess I shouldn't bother chasing that golden fleece and should search out the easier, tried and true S-IPS.

Thanks.
MistrDave is offline  
post #725 of 1549 Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Member
 
pcguru83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a 32LD400 from Best Buy as a kind of spurt of the moment deal last Saturday. Seems the LD400 is similar enough to be welcomed into this thread. But I figured a 1080p set for $350 can't be beat, so I'd jump on it while I could.

The value seems good, but I'm not super impressed with the picture quality. There just seems to be an overall "fuzziness" or noise to the picture that I don't see with our primary HDTV (a Sony KDL-46EX500). Maybe that nice set has just spoiled me, I don't know. Perhaps it has some advanced image sharpening methodology that isn't present in this lower-end set.

Hooking up an antenna to the tuner produces images that I don't find all that spectacular. I was under the impression that HD over an antenna is about as good HD as you'll get outside a Blu-ray, so I suppose I was slightly disappointed that I wasn't decently impressed.

The DirecTV installer will be out Saturday with my HD DVR, so I'll get to take a look at some HD content I can directly compare with our Sony. I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare.

Anyone else observe this general fuzziness/noisy picture that I speak of?
pcguru83 is offline  
post #726 of 1549 Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
thepoohcontinuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru83 View Post

I purchased a 32LD400 from Best Buy as a kind of spurt of the moment deal last Saturday. Seems the LD400 is similar enough to be welcomed into this thread. But I figured a 1080p set for $350 can't be beat, so I'd jump on it while I could.

The value seems good, but I'm not super impressed with the picture quality. There just seems to be an overall "fuzziness" or noise to the picture that I don't see with our primary HDTV (a Sony KDL-46EX500). Maybe that nice set has just spoiled me, I don't know. Perhaps it has some advanced image sharpening methodology that isn't present in this lower-end set.

Hooking up an antenna to the tuner produces images that I don't find all that spectacular. I was under the impression that HD over an antenna is about as good HD as you'll get outside a Blu-ray, so I suppose I was slightly disappointed that I wasn't decently impressed.

The DirecTV installer will be out Saturday with my HD DVR, so I'll get to take a look at some HD content I can directly compare with our Sony. I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare.

Anyone else observe this general fuzziness/noisy picture that I speak of?

If TV/movie watching is your primary use, the LD400/LD450 isn't the best choice. As you mentioned, the EX500 is the better choice. The LD450's (not the LD400) biggest strength is its capability to display a pure 4:4:4 PC/console signal. Since all TV/movie media is already downsampled to 4:2:2 or lower from the factory, 4:4:4 capability is unnecessary.

As for the fuzziness issue, I assumed you tweaked the picture settings? The out of the box picture settings for LG's typically aren't that great.
thepoohcontinuum is offline  
post #727 of 1549 Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Newbie
 
MistrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible that the fabled IPS-Alpha display is actually the AS-ISP that is an actual LG Phillips technology?

IPS-Alpha is a Panasonic technology. I can't figure out why it'd be on a LG display.
MistrDave is offline  
post #728 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Member
 
pcguru83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

If TV/movie watching is your primary use, the LD400/LD450 isn't the best choice. As you mentioned, the EX500 is the better choice. The LD450's (not the LD400) biggest strength is its capability to display a pure 4:4:4 PC/console signal. Since all TV/movie media is already downsampled to 4:2:2 or lower from the factory, 4:4:4 capability is unnecessary.

As for the fuzziness issue, I assumed you tweaked the picture settings? The out of the box picture settings for LG's typically aren't that great.

Thanks for the input.

It actually will be used primarily for gaming with an Xbox 360. But my gaming goes in spurts, so who knows, it may end up being primarily TV eventually. But for now, gaming is the priority.

But is sounds like I'm getting the worst of both worlds anyways. Since I got a 32LD400 (and not an LD450), my TV doesn't pass the 4:4:4 test anyways. And I haven't been super-impressed with TV video quality.

The EX500 is more than I'm willing to spend, but the EX400 is probably doable. Perhaps I should reconsider my purchase and go that route. We absolutely love our 46EX500 in our living room.
pcguru83 is offline  
post #729 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Newbie
 
AntonR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistrDave View Post

Is it possible that the fabled IPS-Alpha display is actually the AS-ISP that is an actual LG Phillips technology?

IPS-Alpha is a Panasonic technology. I can't figure out why it'd be on a LG display.

Unless LG puts stickers that say "IPS Alpha Technology, Ltd" on their panels, I'm pretty sure the one I have is IPS Alpha.

My previous post with pictures:
link
AntonR is offline  
post #730 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Senior Member
 
thepoohcontinuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru83 View Post

Thanks for the input.

It actually will be used primarily for gaming with an Xbox 360. But my gaming goes in spurts, so who knows, it may end up being primarily TV eventually. But for now, gaming is the priority.

But is sounds like I'm getting the worst of both worlds anyways. Since I got a 32LD400 (and not an LD450), my TV doesn't pass the 4:4:4 test anyways. And I haven't been super-impressed with TV video quality.

The EX500 is more than I'm willing to spend, but the EX400 is probably doable. Perhaps I should reconsider my purchase and go that route. We absolutely love our 46EX500 in our living room.

One thing I forgot to ask is whether you got the S-IPS version of the LD400. Generally people prefer that panel over the A-MVA panel (which is the same panel used in the EX400 I believe). Aside from the usual ways of ID'ing a panel type (macro zoom, magnifying glass, streak test, etc), you can identify the panel type via the product code. Check out the xxLD450 FAQ for more details (link in my sig).

If you do have a S-IPS panel and have your settings dialed in correctly, then its just a matter of preference I guess. I did a side-by-side test with the EX500 (using serialmike's settings + minor adjustments) and I did not like the picture quality at all compared to the LD450 w/ S-IPS. Black level was definitely better, but it was lacking color vibrancy.
thepoohcontinuum is offline  
post #731 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Member
 
pcguru83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

One thing I forgot to ask is whether you got the S-IPS version of the LD400. Generally people prefer that panel over the A-MVA panel (which is the same panel used in the EX400 I believe). Aside from the usual ways of ID'ing a panel type (macro zoom, magnifying glass, streak test, etc), you can identify the panel type via the product code. Check out the xxLD450 FAQ for more details (link in my sig).

If you do have a S-IPS panel and have your settings dialed in correctly, then its just a matter of preference I guess. I did a side-by-side test with the EX500 (using serialmike's settings + minor adjustments) and I did not like the picture quality at all compared to the LD450 w/ S-IPS. Black level was definitely better, but it was lacking color vibrancy.

Oh yeah, I actually meant to point that out. I did indeed get an S-IPS panel, judging solely by the product code on the box. Mine had the "W" present after the model number, so it appears that's what I've got. I'll have to try the streak test later tonight to confirm though (and maybe see if I can dig up a magnifying glass to make absolutely certain).

Perhaps getting the settings dialed in will help a bit, as I honestly haven't diverted from the built in picture modes all that much. Are serialmike's settings good all-around settings to start with? I'll be doing a bit of both TV watching and gaming, so I'd rather not favor one too heavily.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing about the settings...I can't seem to get into the EZ Adjust menu with my Harmony remote. Tried it multiple times last night without much luck, but I'm going to play around with it a bit more this evening. Should I still be able to get reasonable settings without access to that menu? I will say, the menus on the LD400 suck compared to the pics I've seen of the LD450.
pcguru83 is offline  
post #732 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Member
 
SeanPMcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me what I did wrong or what I can change. I used ABC's settings and I am getting yellow skin tones. What setting in expert 1 will help the yellow skin tones? Thanks for any help
SeanPMcD is offline  
post #733 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Likes_Games's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tehachapi, CA
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can confirm for anyone interested that my headphone output on a 42" model is distorted as well.

This appears to be a design flaw since it seems many are reporting it. It is not really usable with the distortion, which will be a disappointment for anyone intending to easily hook up self-powered stereo speakers (or actually use headphones). I find the set's speakers to be alright, but my expectations are pretty low for those. (Actually, I have not tried them very loud yet.)

So, this is another compromise if you are intending to buy this TV.

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
Mark_Likes_Games is offline  
post #734 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
thepoohcontinuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru83 View Post
Oh yeah, I actually meant to point that out. I did indeed get an S-IPS panel, judging solely by the product code on the box. Mine had the "W" present after the model number, so it appears that's what I've got. I'll have to try the streak test later tonight to confirm though (and maybe see if I can dig up a magnifying glass to make absolutely certain).

Perhaps getting the settings dialed in will help a bit, as I honestly haven't diverted from the built in picture modes all that much. Are serialmike's settings good all-around settings to start with? I'll be doing a bit of both TV watching and gaming, so I'd rather not favor one too heavily.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing about the settings...I can't seem to get into the EZ Adjust menu with my Harmony remote. Tried it multiple times last night without much luck, but I'm going to play around with it a bit more this evening. Should I still be able to get reasonable settings without access to that menu? I will say, the menus on the LD400 suck compared to the pics I've seen of the LD450.
For starter settings, read Q2 of the LD450 FAQ. Although I think some settings may be missing since the LD400 doesn't have the advanced ISF settings mode.

As for the Harmony remote, I guess the LD400 uses a different IR code to bring up the password screen, so the Harmony method won't work. You could try the old school way, which is to hold both the menu button on the TV and on the remote for ~10 seconds. If it works, a password screen will pop up, and you enter either 0000 or 0413.

Assuming the LD400 and LD450 service menus are the same, the big thing for you would be to enable the ISF settings mode. Other than that, there's nothing really else in the service menu that deal with picture settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPMcD View Post
Can someone tell me what I did wrong or what I can change. I used ABC's settings and I am getting yellow skin tones. What setting in expert 1 will help the yellow skin tones? Thanks for any help
The yellow skin problem is a well documented issue, refer to White Skin Tones Too Yellow section in the FAQ.
thepoohcontinuum is offline  
post #735 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Member
 
The Angry Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPMcD View Post
Can someone tell me what I did wrong or what I can change. I used ABC's settings and I am getting yellow skin tones. What setting in expert 1 will help the yellow skin tones? Thanks for any help
You mean PBC's settings? Is yours an S-IPS panel set, or an A-MVA panel set? Mine's an A-MVA panel set, and yeah, PBC's settings give me overly yellow skin tones. Right now I'm just using the settings I got for "expert 1" by using the built-in "picture wizard" calibration thing, and using that I don't seem to have the yellow skin tone problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Likes_Games View Post
I can confirm for anyone interested that my headphone output on a 42" model is distorted as well.

This appears to be a design flaw since it seems many are reporting it. It is not really usable with the distortion, which will be a disappointment for anyone intending to easily hook up self-powered stereo speakers (or actually use headphones). I find the set's speakers to be alright, but my expectations are pretty low for those. (Actually, I have not tried them very loud yet.)

So, this is another compromise if you are intending to buy this TV.
After reading several people's posts about this issue, I just decided to give my headphone jack a try (using headphones), and I was disappointed to learn that my set (the 37LD450) also has the crackling static issue. This bothers me because one of the things that made me want the LD450 set was that it had a headphone jack so that I could later use some external self-powered speakers if the set's own speakers ever died. Now I don't have that safety backup option it seems. I guess I should be extra glad I got a 3 year extended warranty...
The Angry Lion is offline  
post #736 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
thepoohcontinuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Lion View Post
After reading several people's posts about this issue, I just decided to give my headphone jack a try (using headphones), and I was disappointed to learn that my set (the 37LD450) also has the crackling static issue. This bothers me because one of the things that made me want the LD450 set was that it had a headphone jack so that I could later use some external self-powered speakers if the set's own speakers ever died. Now I don't have that safety backup option it seems. I guess I should be extra glad I got a 3 year extended warranty...
It seems the only viable workaround is to use the optical out port instead. doctorwizz mentioned in an earlier post that hdmi audio does get passed to the optical out port, and there's no static. Of course, if you're hooking up to some speakers or headphones, this requires a optical-to-analog converter which will cost some $$$.
thepoohcontinuum is offline  
post #737 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Member
 
The Angry Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post
It seems the only viable workaround is to use the optical out port instead. doctorwizz mentioned in an earlier post that hdmi audio does get passed to the optical out port, and there's no static. Of course, if you're hooking up to some speakers or headphones, this requires a optical-to-analog converter which will cost some $$$.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I don't own any audio equipment whatsoever besides a nearly new set of Creative GigaWorks T-40 stereo speakers, and those don't have an optical in, of course.

A person without any real audio or home theatre equipment in this day and age?? I know... I know... lol I just don't listen to music very often, and for the times I do, those T-40 speakers suffice.
The Angry Lion is offline  
post #738 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Member
 
The Angry Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru83 View Post

The value seems good, but I'm not super impressed with the picture quality. There just seems to be an overall "fuzziness" or noise to the picture that I don't see with our primary HDTV (a Sony KDL-46EX500). Maybe that nice set has just spoiled me, I don't know. Perhaps it has some advanced image sharpening methodology that isn't present in this lower-end set...

...Anyone else observe this general fuzziness/noisy picture that I speak of?

Hi. I just remembered this part of your post (I meant to answer it earlier). I'm not sure if it's indeed true with LG's LD450 LCD TVs, but I remember reading elsewhere that in the LG universe, a sharpness setting of 50 (out of 100) is supposed to be neutral (no sharpening at all), sharpness-wise. I heard that in LG sets, if you set the sharpness below 50, they artificially "soften" the picture. If this is true, and if you've got your sharpness turned down below 50 (under the assumption that "0" would mean no sharpening filters are applied at all), you might be cranking up the "artificial softness" of the picture, making things seem too fuzzy and/or distorted.

So yeah, if you haven't already, try turning up your sharpness to at least 50 to see if that helps. The person who mentioned 50 being neutral in LG sets may have been mistaken though, so I don't know for sure whether or not this is true, like I said. Anyone else here know?
The Angry Lion is offline  
post #739 of 1549 Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Newbie
 
dmsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks while making my decision for a new HD set for my wife and I's living room. Previously we had a KP-43HT20 RPTV, that we used for HD programming, as well as gaming and movies via a PS3 or Xbox 360.

I made the plunge a few days ago for the 42' and thought I'd chime in with my results, and some questions I had about getting the most out of the set.

My Impressions
I was able to get one of the sought after S-Panels which was a blessing as black levels were the only real benefit to our old RPTV and I didn't want to lose out on that on the new set. The black levels still aren't quite up to what I'm used to but hopefully with some tweaking from the experts here I'll get to a level I'm thrilled with, vs the level of content I am at now.

Logically moving up from a 1080i RPTV set to a native 1080p LCD was going to produce a greatly improved viewing experience, but I was pleasantly surprised over the quality of the image in all of the input modes and various factory settings. I've spent a lot of time doing convergence on my own set, as well as tickering with settings for friends and family on their plasmas, lcds, etc, and for this tv to look so good out of the box shows there's amble potential for this to be an incredible set regardless of it's few shortcomings.

My problems
I've already aligned my settings with Jangaboo for the gaming settings but does anyone have recommended settings for viewing HD/SD movie and television?

For my setup I currently run a PS3 and HD DVR Cable Box to the tv through their respective HDMI ports, and a Xbox 360 through components. I run an optical from the TV to a RCA RTD325W 250W 1080p Home Theater System.

The audio quality is perfect for me, I'm not trying to have WW3 in my condo and the system itself gives me enough options to keep me busy. The issue I am having was brought by another member so I'll just quote it and see if anyone has found any solution to it.

Quote:


Originally Posted by roman craig
I have the Key Tone in the XMB on. I also have the audio settings so that I get Dolby Digital and the PCM 2 channel stereo sound. If I scroll up and down a list really fast I'll hear the key tone, but then it will stop occuring during slow browsing. It seems like the receiver is looking for sound and when it doesn't find any it's temporarily shutting down. Any ideas?

The no Key Tone response during slow browsing is due to slow response from your reciever (mine suffers the same fate). Your reciever is experiencing a slight delay when activation from no audio. During fast scrolling the audio is almost continous, as it would be with a constant sound, as such there's no delay in the processing of a new signal.

dmsteve is offline  
post #740 of 1549 Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Member
 
hueyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just got a 42" ld450. I can't seem to select "just scan" as the aspect ratio. That option is grey'd out and I can't figure out how to enable it for selection.

Can someone help me out on this one?

Thanks in advance for any help!
hueyn is offline  
post #741 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Member
 
The Angry Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@ dmsteve: Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, really. I'm far from being an audio expert, so that stuff is beyond me. And as for video settings, I have an A-MVA panel in my set, so what works for me probably wouldn't work all that well for you. Having said that, I'd try using the TV's own built-in "picture wizard" calibration thing and see how you like the looks of things after you're done with it. That's basically all I did. There are 2 picture wizard modes you can go through: "standard", and "preferred". I used the standard wizard myself. When you're done with the wizard, it'll save the wizard's settings to the "expert 1" video mode, and at the end of the wizard you can select which inputs it'll apply the settings to (in case you want to keep different "expert 1" settings for some inputs).


Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyn View Post

Hi,

I just got a 42" ld450. I can't seem to select "just scan" as the aspect ratio. That option is grey'd out and I can't figure out how to enable it for selection.

Can someone help me out on this one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I believe "just scan" is only available for certain inputs, like perhaps the HDMI inputs (possibly only the HDMI 1 input, but I'm not at all sure about this). It might also be available for the VGA input, but again, I'm not entirely certain. Someone else here would know, so hopefully they can fill you in before long. I'm pretty sure you at least can't select "just scan" for component, and I am sure it's not available for composite.
The Angry Lion is offline  
post #742 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyn View Post

Hi,

I just got a 42" ld450. I can't seem to select "just scan" as the aspect ratio. That option is grey'd out and I can't figure out how to enable it for selection.

Can someone help me out on this one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

It's greyed out if you change the input label PC

Keep the input unlabled and try it.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD 1090T, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
doctorwizz is online now  
post #743 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Member
 
SeanPMcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Lion View Post

You mean PBC's settings? Is yours an S-IPS panel set, or an A-MVA panel set? Mine's an A-MVA panel set, and yeah, PBC's settings give me overly yellow skin tones. Right now I'm just using the settings I got for "expert 1" by using the built-in "picture wizard" calibration thing, and using that I don't seem to have the yellow skin tone problem.

Yeah, I have the S-IPS. I think I solved it but will try the picture wizard thing. I may try someone elses 10 point settings. Do you know a good one for moveis and tv? It seems as PBC's settings are very dark in color. That could be because he has the MVA panel.
SeanPMcD is offline  
post #744 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Member
 
The Angry Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPMcD View Post

...Do you know a good one for moveis and tv? It seems as PBC's settings are very dark in color. That could be because he has the MVA panel.

I don't have any real solid settings to recommend. I'll let you know what my current settings are, but as I've said, I have an A-MVA panel, so mine probably wouldn't be ideal for your S-IPS set. Also, my settings are going to be far from ideal, no doubt, for anyone since I haven't done any major calibrating, and I'm not a very picky person as far as image perfection goes. I make sure things such as tint aren't way out of whack, but besides that, I'm not really all that fussy at all. I reached my current settings simply by going into the picture wizard and doing it in "standard" mode. My backlight is cranked up to 100% simply because having anything less than 100% causes my set to give off a slight buzzing hum, which I find annoying since I watch the TV at lower volume settings. If I didn't have the buzzing to worry about, I'd probably keep my backlight between 40-60.

Here are the settings I reached by using the picture wizard in standard mode:
  • Basic Settings
    Backlight -- 100
    Contrast -- 87
    Brightness -- 54
    Horizontal & Vertical Sharpness -- 70 (I like things crisp)
    Colour -- 55
    Tint -- G2

  • "Expert Control" Settings
    Dynamic Contrast -- Off
    Noise Reduction -- Auto
    Digital Noise Reduction -- Off
    Black Level -- Low
    Real Cinema -- Off
    Colour Gamut -- Wide
    Edge Enhancer -- High (again, I like things crisp)
    .....
    Colour Filter -- Off
    Colour Temperature -- Warm
    Gamma -- 2.2
    Method -- 2 Points

And those are the basic settings I'm using for SD cable and DVD watching. Again, my settings are probably far, far from ideal to most people. I like a picture that's more vibrant and "pops" a little, and I also like sharper, crisper edges on things. These settings work fine for me with my panel type, though again, I'm not a super fussy or demanding person where picture settings are concerned. The one thing I would change would be to take the backlight down to 40-60 (if not for that buzzing hum), but I'm starting to get used to it at 100. I'm the only one who uses the set, so I don't have to worry about the picture settings pleasing others.

If no one here with an S-IPS panel can come up with some good settings for you, I'd recommend trying out the built-in picture wizard (I used "standard", though you may prefer the "preferred" mode) and see what you come up with, and tweak from there until you're happy.
The Angry Lion is offline  
post #745 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Member
 
hueyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

It's greyed out if you change the input label PC

Keep the input unlabled and try it.

The input is not labeled. I tried HDMI 1 and 2 but both gave me all options except "just scan".

I can see the bootup screen for my htpc (zotac 9300 mini-itx mboard, with onboard nvidia graphis, vista) but once it gets to the login screen, the tv says "no signal". I am wondering if anyone has similar problem.

I had this HTPC hooked up via hdmi to a 32" samsung lcd tv prior to this LG tv with "just scan" for aspect ratio. It all worked just fine. I'm not sure what's going on with this TV that I'm not getting configured right.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any idea what's going on.
hueyn is offline  
post #746 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can you boot into safe mode? Then maybe change the rez and refresh rate?

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD 1090T, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
doctorwizz is online now  
post #747 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Member
 
hueyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

Can you boot into safe mode? Then maybe change the rez and refresh rate?

Thanks for your response. I was actually able to use a separate lcd monitor hooked up via the rgb port and was able to set the rez and refresh rate for the second monitor (which is the LG tv) but when switched over to the hdmi input, it is still "no signal".

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
hueyn is offline  
post #748 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
With the second monitor connected, can you extend the desktop to the LG so you have both monitors on? (Dual Mon). Then, select the LG as the main display.
You using win7?

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD 1090T, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
doctorwizz is online now  
post #749 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Member
 
hueyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nope can't do. Anytime I try to use the LG tv as the monitor, it's "no signal"...using vista.
hueyn is offline  
post #750 of 1549 Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Newbie
 
dmsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This set continues to amaze me.

Watched the King Kong Blu-Ray today, amazing sharpness, deep blacks, and vibrant colors!
dmsteve is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off