Official LG XXLD450 Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #991 of 1549 Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought the 47 inch from Walmart, with tax was 738.

Box says both tv have a s-ips panel. Now I have to go home just to find out its DOA, or dead pixles.... there is no firmware to update IS there? My only internet is my cellphone so reading and searching is extremely tedious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1549 Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopAce6 View Post

Just bought the 47 inch from Walmart, with tax was 738.

Box says both tv have a s-ips panel. Now I have to go home just to find out its DOA, or dead pixles.... there is no firmware to update IS there? My only internet is my cellphone so reading and searching is extremely tedious.

Refresh my memory. Is that 47" the LG LD520? If you've got the magical "W" in the product code you're probably good to go Congrats.
post #993 of 1549 Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Refresh my memory. Is that 47" the LG LD520? If you've got the magical "W" in the product code you're probably good to go Congrats.

It's the Ld450, I chose it specifically because of low input lag.... not if There is a nicer oine with low input lag please tell me, ill return this and get a 65 inch.
post #994 of 1549 Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Pic sry I don't know how to edit from cell.
LL
post #995 of 1549 Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopAce6 View Post

It's the Ld450, I chose it specifically because of low input lag.... not if There is a nicer oine with low input lag please tell me, ill return this and get a 65 inch.

Well from your pic it looks like there's a "W" in the product code so you will probably get an S-IPS panel. As far as input lag goes, someone else will have to chime in because I don't buy my tv's to play games on so the input lag is not a concern for me. FWIW, what game we do have (Wii) play just fine and the games on my son's computer, which we physically hookup to the tv, play just fine as well.
post #996 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Sorry to ask a rather dumb question but I'm confused as there are two different answer out there!

I have a 32LD450 - ZA.BEKWLJP

I assume as the letter W is in fourth place this is S-IPS, however some postings on here are looking at the "L" possition (like the FAQ post). So which is it!?

I quote from this one....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19723268

For a S-IPS panel type, make sure the fourth character of the last text segment is a W. So for example, a 32LD450 with a full product code of 32LD450 - UA.CUSWLH means this particular TV has a S-IPS panel type (because of the W character). Below is a compilation of panel types found so far with their associated fourth character...

Then there are posts like this (I know this is a slightly different TV but matches my serial number lettering):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19282627

37LE5300-ZA-BEUWLJP
37LE5300 VC-AUSDLUR
W means its an IPS panel
D means its not IPS panel

Hopefully someone can clarify to help my confusion!

Thanks, Tim

Tim_F
post #997 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Field View Post

Sorry to ask a rather dumb question but I'm confused as there are two different answer out there!

I have a 32LD450 - ZA.BEKWLJP

I assume as the letter W is in fourth place this is S-IPS, however some postings on here are looking at the "L" possition (like the FAQ post). So which is it!?

I believe you've gotten confused, because both of those posts you referenced are pointing to the 4th letter in the last segment of the product code, and neither is pointing to the 5th letter (which you pointed out would be "L" in your case). You must have been reading too quickly, unless I'm missing something. Your code does indeed have a "W" in the position in question, so your panel should be an S-IPS one.
post #998 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Ah great stuff. Appreciate it! Can I check what I've done is sensible so far and haven't missed anything?

Currently looking at calibration, I've set the TV up in Expert modes as per below (although I can't get into colour tint etc. as some of these are protected setting and I don't know why):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18833059

Outputing from a laptop via VGA cable with a jack for the audio, this all works fine. I've set the laptop screen res to 1920 x 1080 and loaded up an HD video. All seems fine too but have I missed any tricks? I don't have HDMI on the laptop by the way.

Thanks, Tim

Tim_F
post #999 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Field View Post

Ah great stuff. Appreciate it! Can I check what I've done is sensible so far and haven't missed anything?

Currently looking at calibration, I've set the TV up in Expert modes as per below (although I can't get into colour tint etc. as some of these are protected setting and I don't know why):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18833059

Outputing from a laptop via VGA cable with a jack for the audio, this all works fine. I've set the laptop screen res to 1920 x 1080 and loaded up an HD video. All seems fine too but have I missed any tricks? I don't have HDMI on the laptop by the way.

Thanks, Tim

No problem. You're very welcome. The settings you've linked to were done up by someone who I believe (my memory could be off, but I think I'm right) has an A-MVA panel version of the TV, so his settings might not work quite right with an S-IPS version of the set. Having said that, I happen to have an A-MVA panel version of the set too, and when I tried those settings, skin tones were way too yellow. But yeah, if you've got an S-IPS panel such as yours, you may want to wait until someone else with an S-IPS set can advise you on settings. I reached the settings I'm currently using by just going through the built-in "picture wizard" calibration thing in standard mode. You could always give that a shot too, and tweak from there until you're happy.

As to your other concerns, I'd have to say that someone other than myself should help you there, because I don't use my set for PC use at all, so I couldn't offer any assistance of any real value. Lots of people here do use the set for PC use though, so someone should be along before too long that can help you.
post #1000 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Yeah , I also tried the pbc settings with a S-IPS panel , and skin tones were glowing like radioactive hulk and I failed every quality test ...whites looked good though and the pictury was very saturated and sharp otherwise.

Going with fine tuned factory settings for now .
post #1001 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 PM

Ah ok, I've reset the TV hope someone puts some up for the IPS panel up then!

Cheers, Tim

Tim_F
post #1002 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Ok well about settings.....

Xbox360 > HDMI >lg47

Xbox Settings Reference levels> Extended :: color space> ycbr709.

Right now, im not sure what i should use on the tvs advanced settings, I have the option In Color Gamut for.... Wide, BT709, and SMPT or soemthing like that.

Any idea what is best compatible with my Xbox's Settings?

I put the xbox on 0-255 (extended) because this tv apparently supports it, as so many use it for a computer monior.

Also will i get 4:4:4 with Straight HDMI from xboxs to tv? i believe i read that i wont, but i want to make sure.
post #1003 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 04:49 PM

I just bought the 32LD450 to use exclusively as my PC monitor. I spent a considerable amount of time tweaking the picture settings on the TV along with the Geoforce 6200 card, and I'm happy and relieved to say that my screen is as close to perfect as possible (for my purposes so far)

Surprisingly, I'm using standard mode, but tweaked all settings available. Thanks to this thread and all who have contributed.

anyone interested in my settings, let me know.
post #1004 of 1549 Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 PM

Hey hboogz,

Do you have an S-IPS panel? If so it will be great if you can share your settings.

There are previous settings that a member with an MVA panel had here before, and we could use some S-IPS settings. I also just started playing with an I1display to finally dial in the colors of the set (never liked them , and the eye one agreed with me as colors are pretty off).
post #1005 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Yes, I have an S-IPS panel as demonstrated by the "w" in the product code on my box. I'll create my settings chart shortly. Could you point me to a link on how to install and run the I1display program? I'm a n00b when it comes to monitor calibration.

Thanks
post #1006 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Hey hboogz,

I1display is a hardware sensor (think of it as an electronic eye) to confim that everything is set up properly. So unfortunatly it is not too much of a help for you. I am about half way through my calibration so I should be able to post a chart today as well.
post #1007 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 AM

I picked one of these up, (32 inch) to finally replace my old CRT. got an IPS model.

The TV itself is very solid, and the stand is a little wobbly but good quality. I like the swivel stand aswell.

the remote is very nice. good build quality and the buttons are big. the menus and settings with this TV are very easy to use too.

mine makes a humming noise, but its a non issue as its inaudible with the TV on even with a low volume setting. its pretty hard to make out when the TV is muted from 4 or 5 feet away.

I cant speak for it's HD picture with HD programming but it does SD fairly well. PS2 didnt look horrible either. SD movies look fantastic with my upscaled DVD player over HDMI.

360 over HDMI I had mixed results. some games looked alot better in every way like red dead redemption. but games like Battlefield and halo were full of jagged edges... with every game I tried there is alot more detail shown for sure though. maybe I am just used to the blurry lines of a CRT.

for input lag I played a fighting game with my PS2 over composite cables on standard mode. I noticed no lag at all and had no issue executing precisely timed moves/counters. and this was on standard mode playing PS2, let alone playing 360.

for input lag I notice no difference regardless of the game or system from my old CRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames
Please ignore the entire contents of Excellent's post. His advice is not, ahem, "excellent".
post #1008 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawashdeh View Post

Hey hboogz,

I1display is a hardware sensor (think of it as an electronic eye) to confim that everything is set up properly. So unfortunatly it is not too much of a help for you. I am about half way through my calibration so I should be able to post a chart today as well.

Thanks raw -

where can I get this? Although my text is crystal clear I started to notice the blacks are a bit saturated and I'm guessing I need to calibrate. I've never done a calibration so your input on how and where I can get the i1display would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
post #1009 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM

I'm thinking of picking up an LG 32LD450 when I take my Samsung LE32C530 back this week because the C530 has a few problems with it and I've read the FAQ on page 22 about how to make sure I get an LD450 with an S-IPS panel so when vieiwng from different angles, nothing is effected by it but just a few questions about that FAQ.

The white skin tone turning yellow, is that a major problem or isn't it noticeable with the S-IPS panel? And is there any problems with the skin tones in video games? I play from about 4 feet away and hope there are no problems with the skin tone color before I decide on the LD450?

And are there any other problems with getting the LD450 with an S-IPS panel? At the moment, the C530 has problems with viewing angles and from what I've read and been told, getting the LD450 with an S-IPS panel doesn't have this problem.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
post #1010 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboogz View Post

Thanks raw -

where can I get this? Although my text is crystal clear I started to notice the blacks are a bit saturated and I'm guessing I need to calibrate. I've never done a calibration so your input on how and where I can get the i1display would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hboogz,

I got my i1display from amazon http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODLT-E...8238152&sr=8-1
get this one, it's the same sensor as i1display 2, just different software.

I also use color HCFR free software http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983943

For a calibration disk I am using http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 which is by far the easiest way I find to set brightness and contrast by eyeballing it.

And I like this chart
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contras...colorbands.png
to see my overall standing while I am calibrating

It's a learning curver, but it's helping me dial the accuracy of the display objectively.
post #1011 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake689 View Post

I'm thinking of picking up an LG 32LD450 when I take my Samsung LE32C530 back this week because the C530 has a few problems with it and I've read the FAQ on page 22 about how to make sure I get an LD450 with an S-IPS panel so when vieiwng from different angles, nothing is effected by it but just a few questions about that FAQ.

The white skin tone turning yellow, is that a major problem or isn't it noticeable with the S-IPS panel? And is there any problems with the skin tones in video games? I play from about 4 feet away and hope there are no problems with the skin tone color before I decide on the LD450?

And are there any other problems with getting the LD450 with an S-IPS panel? At the moment, the C530 has problems with viewing angles and from what I've read and been told, getting the LD450 with an S-IPS panel doesn't have this problem.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

so far I havent noticed a problem with yellow skin tones at all and I sit 5 feet from my display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames
Please ignore the entire contents of Excellent's post. His advice is not, ahem, "excellent".
post #1012 of 1549 Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Raw -

Great information. I really appreciate it.

My settings are as followed:

Computer Settings:

• NVIDIA AGP 8x Geoforce GTS 6200 set to 1920 x 1080p @ 60hz (The video card is ancient but it does work at this resolution well)
  • Image Sharpening: 0
    Brightness: 50
    Digital Vibrance: 0
    Gamma: 1.0
    Contrast: 85

LG Settings
  • Make sure you're connected into the HDMI/DVI port and you've changed the Input Lable for PC.

Picture Mode: Standard*
  • Backlight: 50
    Brightness: 45
    Sharpness: 32
    Color: 50
    Tint: 0
    Color Temp: W6
    Advanced Controls
    Gamma - Low
    Black Level - Low

* Obviously, the same results can be achieved in Expert mode. In Expert mode make sure to choose 'Medium' for Color temp as opposed to 'Warm' That's the major difference. The Luminence and RGB levels can be tweaked to your liking.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.
post #1013 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 AM

i got a ld460.... its seens the same as ld450 but this is the brazilian version.

tested for 4:4:4 and it passed using hdmi x hdmi + edid fix.
seens to be a ips panel, 32ld460.sa.awzwlj and pixes has this " > " shape.

is still looking for a nice config, hboogz's config looks nice good at frist but than i notice its laking shadow details by alot.

the config in the faq didn't worked well, for PC uses.

and at last but not least, do u guys are using cleartype?
here i cante see a good defnition in some algarisms like "8"
i i hava a folder that has an 8 on its name than the 8 is blurred and i have to use the clear type to sove that... any other ways to solve that problem ?
post #1014 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:

Raw -

Great information. I really appreciate it.

My settings are as followed:

Computer Settings:

• NVIDIA AGP 8x Geoforce GTS 6200 set to 1920 x 1080p @ 60hz (The video card is ancient but it does work at this resolution well)
  • Image Sharpening: 0
    Brightness: 50
    Digital Vibrance: 0
    Gamma: 1.0

LG Settings
  • Make sure you're connected into the HDMI/DVI port and you've changed the Input Lable for PC.

Picture Mode: Standard*
  • Backlight: 50
    Brightness: 45
    Sharpness: 32
    Color: 50
    Tint: 0
    Color Temp: W6
    Advanced Controls
    Gamma - Low
    Black Level - Low

* Obviously, the same results can be achieved in Expert mode. In Expert mode make sure to choose 'Medium' for Color temp as opposed to 'Warm' That's the major difference. The Luminence and RGB levels can be tweaked to your liking.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

These settings produce horrible blach crush and white crush . You will need brightness and contrast each around 75 if you are usung full rgb , unless you did something drastic in your graphics card settings. And you can't adjust edge enhancing or sharpness in standard mode .
post #1015 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously not the expert here and I know there may be some deficiencies with my settings for those who are experts, but, simply, these settings currently work best for my purposes right now. I've shared my settings in the hopes that others with much more experience could chime in and provide feedback and provide beginners as myself a foundation to work from. I originally had a Panasonic 32u22 and nothing was working well for me. I returned it, bought this LG and now my text is crystal clear, most colors are vibrant and true (However, as I've mentioned, I've noticed my black's are off and do need and want to fix that) and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure i have much more work to do.

More feedback is definitely welcome.
post #1016 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropessinho View Post

i got a ld460.... its seens the same as ld450 but this is the brazilian version.

tested for 4:4:4 and it passed using hdmi x hdmi + edid fix.
seens to be a ips panel, 32ld460.sa.awzwlj and pixes has this " > " shape.

is still looking for a nice config, hboogz's config looks nice good at frist but than i notice its laking shadow details by alot.

the config in the faq didn't worked well, for PC uses.

and at last but not least, do u guys are using cleartype?
here i cante see a good defnition in some algarisms like "8"
i i hava a folder that has an 8 on its name than the 8 is blurred and i have to use the clear type to sove that... any other ways to solve that problem ?

Any clues as to how to resolve that? I believe this the issue I'm noticing with my blacks.

I'm not using cleartype.
post #1017 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Is it true that they have pretty much phased out the non-IPS panels for this model? Or was the person who said that just speculating, since everyone seems be getting an IPS without fail recently.
post #1018 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously not the expert here and I know there may be some deficiencies with my settings for those who are experts, but, simply, these settings currently work best for my purposes right now. I've shared my settings in the hopes that others with much more experience could chime in and provide feedback and provide beginners as myself a foundation to work from. I originally had a Panasonic 32u22 and nothing was working well for me. I returned it, bought this LG and now my text is crystal clear, most colors are vibrant and true (However, as I've mentioned, I've noticed my black's are off and do need and want to fix that) and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure i have much more work to do.

More feedback is definitely welcome.

Well I can give you my values with adjusted black level and perfect text, but I have an ATI .

Settings for 4:4:4 Full RGB :
Contrast 75
Brightness 76
H. Sharpness 50
V.Sharpness 57
Color 50
Tint G3
Black Level low
gamma 2.2
edge enhancing LOW (this is a bug , low in my set is OFF in reality ...compare low and off , maybe adjust sharpness according)

everything else is on default

In TV mdoe I use brightness 53 and contrast 87 , which is suited for other limited RGB sources aswell.
post #1019 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Ok, after many hours fighting with the tv, computer and calibration I present settings for a calibrated tv to the best of my ability with meter readings to backup the settings.

A lot of info about this TV can be taken from these measurments.

* Disclaimer: every panel is different, what works for me might not work for your panel, but at least point IPS users toward the right settings*

Code:
Best settings expert 1                                                                                  

BACKLIGHT       48                                                                              
CONTRAST        81                                                                              
BRIGHTNESS      69                                                                              
H SHARPNESS     65                                                                              
V SHARPNESS     54                                                                              
COLOR   50                                                                              
TINT    G3                                                                              

BLACK LEVEL     LOW                                                                             
COLOR   BT709                                                                           
EDGE ENHANCER   Low                                                                             
COLOR TEMPREATURE       WARM                                                                            
GAMA    2.2                                                                             
METHOD  10 PONT                                                                         
IRE     100     90      80      70      60      50      40      30      20      10      0
LUMINANCE       150                                                                             
RED     0       0       2       5       7       7       8       16      10      9       50
GREEN   0       0       0       0       2       0       0       12      5       2       -50
BLUE    5       25      9       19      17      12      13      20      17      3       -50

CMS                                                                                     
RED COLOR       -1                                                                              
RED TINT        6                                                                               
GREEN COLOR     2                                                                               
GREEN TINT      8                                                                               
BLUE COLOR      -2                                                                              
BLUE TINT       -11                                                                             
YELLOW COLOR    0                                                                               
YELLOW TINT     -1                                                                              
CYAN COLOR      1                                                                               
CYAN TINT       1                                                                               
MAGENTA COLOR   18                                                                              
MAGENTA TINT    8                                                                               

post #1020 of 1549 Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks for posting this ....these settings look better than factory , only the last two shades of red and magenta get washed out in this chart

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contras...colorbands.png

Anything i can do for that?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page