Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, yes and yes. Fail.

When I first started looking at the LD450 and thought there was a very good chance I would buy one, I right away, ordered a DVI to HDMI cable off eBay.

I also ordered a v1.4 HDMI cable as well.

Using the DVI / HDMI cable I installed the EDID fix, rebooted, nothing, no change.

Using the HDMI / HDMI cable the "pixel" format option appeared and rolling through and setting each one of those options, again, nothing changed visual.

Installed the EDID fix again using the HDMI / HDMI cable, rebooted, the pixel format option was gone and again, zero change. The red and magenta wording test still looked horrible.

I could use a v1.3 HDMI cable I guess but I don't see how that would make a difference. I could also do a complete OS re-install and see if that helps with anything, but doubtful.

As far as video drivers go, I could roll-back to an earlier version if anyone honestly thinks that could help.

I've got in front of me a check list and it's full of solutions to the 4:4:4 issue and all of them have been checked off 2 and 3 times.

Surfing the Internet since Dec 93', Windows 3.11, Trumpet Winsock and a USR 9600 Baud Modem with Databank out of Lawrence, Kansas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Liked: 12
Instead of using the red-magenta test method, have you tried using the belle-nuit chart? It could very well be that you are getting 4:4:4, but other settings (ex., H/V Sharpness, contrast, etc) could be obfuscating the fact.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM

I don't have a camera sharp enough to confirm 4:4:4 or not but, I've looked at the 1080p tif and from what I can see with the naked eye the pixels seem for lack of a better word, perfect. But my vision is poor.

I did notice that when I started taking my 4:4:4 issue serious, applying the EDID, playing around with the cables, etc that I noticed that the red / blue artifacts around text vanished. Text also seems razor sharp and I just again, looked for the red / blue coloring around text and cannot detect it. However I would rather reply on a proven test that gave me back a yes / no answer.

Surfing the Internet since Dec 93', Windows 3.11, Trumpet Winsock and a USR 9600 Baud Modem with Databank out of Lawrence, Kansas.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:

I don't have a camera sharp enough to confirm 4:4:4 or not but, I've looked at the 1080p tif and from what I can see with the naked eye the pixels seem for lack of a better word, perfect. But my vision is poor.

First off, use the picture settings found in Q2 of the FAQ (its been updated in case you haven't looked at it recently). I recommend using a H/V Sharpness setting of 33/55 and turning off Edge Enhancer though. This will help us establish a baseline for the next step.

Using the belle-nuit chart found in Q11 of the FAQ, pay attention to the part with the vertical red lines to the left of the "20". Even with just the naked eye, there is radical difference between 4:4:4 and non-4:4:4. With 4:4:4, each of those vertical red columns are bright and uniformly sized. But with non-4:4:4, the red columns are dull and unevenly sized (alternating between "fat" columns and "skinny" columns.

Just to give you an example of what I "see", I've attached a pic showing what 4:4:4 looks like compared to non-4:4:4. Both pics are from the same TV, same distance from TV, and same camera settings.
LL
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM

I took a long good luck at my screen mid morning today, when my eyes seem to be at their best and I can report back to you that despite everything I've tried, the columns are uneven. I still do not have proper 4:4:4

I've tried the EDID fix, HDMI to HDMI, DVI to HDMI, several H/V Sharpness settings, pixel format settings.

And for fun, I did a complete reinstall of the OS today using the last handful of video card drivers. I used different lengths of HDMI, I used v1.3 along with v1.4 HDMI, I even used one of those DVI to HDMI adapters that sometimes ship with video cards.

I've eliminated every single thing I can think of in order to get 4:4:4 to display correctly.

I can assure you, I have the slightly muddled uneven bars with the test.

Do I need to flash to a newer firmware? And if so, can someone supply a link to the newest firmware for the 42" 450?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthefley View Post
I've eliminated every single thing I can think of in order to get 4:4:4 to display correctly.

I can assure you, I have the slightly muddled uneven bars with the test.
Wow, I'm stumped. You've done everything I would have done, but still no 4:4:4. What if you try a linux livecd like ubuntu? Assuming it has proper ati drivers and gives you proper 4:4:4, then at least it'll rule out an issue with the TV itself.

Otherwise, I have no clue. Maybe ati 6000 series cards have a flawed hdmi implementation? Maybe LG has a "systemboard lottery" issue? Wish I could help you out more

As for the firmware, its not available for download. Apparently only a LG service tech is able to flash new firmware.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 AM

I have to admit, I am happy with the display. I just in the last few days used "rawashdeh" settings and am pleased with the colors, contrast and blacks. The picture is just a hair too dark for me over-all but I do not know how to change this without throwing the rest of the settings / numbers into a tail-spin and destroying his hard work.

My screen does not look blurry or distorted. The text is razor sharp. I am happy with it. It's more of a nagging feeling that I seem to be NOT passing the 4:4:4 test.

I really don't want to play around with brightness / contrast or gamma within a game or through the ATI settings. I want a one stop does all solution.

I am working on getting used to the slightly darker image I just wish it had that brightness / gamma pop that made the screen look awesome.

I had my Mit 58" DLP professionally calibrated a few years ago and it looks amazing. The picture just POPS! Looks fantastic! People even say wow when they see the screen. My LG 42 450 doesn't have the same level of amazing, but still looks good.

I really appreciate the help a few of you have given. I do not take the help lightly. I've been here going on 9 years but mostly lurking. Since I am not a professional I let others do the talking and just shut up and listen. So, again, thanks.

If anyone had some advice on how to brighten up my new rawashdeh settings a bit, I would appreciate that too.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Liked: 10
rthefley, I think you and I are in the same situation. I have a 32 inch model and didn't do so many tests but all your findings seem to match your case. I will look this afternoon with my own eyes the belle nuit chart to see if I see the problem with the red columns.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 AM

I refuse to believe I am the only one out there that does not have 4:4:4 when everyone else seemingly does with this model. I am over looking something.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Hum, the new test chart is a bit different that the one you are showing, it doesn't have those separate red lines. Looking at the new chart in my computer I cannot say if it is correct. Can someone post the old char?

Here is the new one: http://www.belle-nuit.com/testchart.html
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf900 View Post

Hum, the new test chart is a bit different that the one you are showing, it doesn't have those separate red lines. Looking at the new chart in my computer I cannot say if it is correct. Can someone post the old char?

Here is the new one: http://www.belle-nuit.com/testchart.html

See Q11 of the FAQ.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Just to give you an example of what I "see", I've attached a pic showing what 4:4:4 looks like compared to non-4:4:4. Both pics are from the same TV, same distance from TV, and same camera settings.
The red lines are equally spaced. Still they are more pinkish than red and I for me they are aligned with the white ones below instead of your test capture in which they look like one pixel to the left.

Also the pixel format changes in CCC do nothing.

I am using an ATI 5770 with Windows 7 64bit. Can I check the tv for firmware version or anything else to verify?

rthefley, do you see the same in the test chart?

With the other test image it is true that red and magenta look worse than the others. In a good monitor that I have they look better than in the LG.

Edit: Increasing the Hue and/or saturation in CCC panel makes the red lines have like different spacing. Does it make sense? Increasing the color in the LG also causes the different spacing.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Are the higher end LG model numbers on the comparison chart just as good or better for a PC monitor? The LD520 and LD550 for example. Or is it better to stick with the LD450?

Would a 120Hz model be better or worse as a PC monitor?

If it matters, my video card is a GTX560 with DVI and HDMI outputs.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM

I installed a 47LD450 at work connected to a kiosk computer. Used the Clock menu to set the TV to turn on at 8am and off at 6pm Mon-Fri - easy. Set the time manually. Sleep mode is OFF. However, the TV is turning itself off outside those times, or it's out of sync with the clock somehow. Has anybody run into this?

Thanks,
David
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM

Another guy here, who after some reasearch decided to go with the LG 37 LD450. I've been using a 37W3 now for many years. Have probably put at least 10000 hours onto it. It's got some image retention and some dark patches that some Westy's seem to get after a while, so I was looking for a new set to accompany/replace it. My search brought me to this set!

I've got a (W) S-IPS 37 inch LD450 and I'm mostly using rawashdeh's settings, and am ipressed with the colors and brightness of the image. Naturally, I'm using it for 100% PC stuff. Gaming, web browsing, word documents, the works - I sit about 24-28 inches away from it and find myself being very picky about the clarity of the image.

I've been running a duplicate image on the Westy and the LD450 for a while now and I am noticing a few things about the LD450 that are bugging me. I guess I'm not sure what to expect in the way of image clarity for the LD450, compared to the 37W3 - Maybe it has spoiled me. I am noticing that at the distance that I am sitting at the clarity of the texts is better on the 37W3 than the LD450. Again, I am not sure if this is something I should expect or not when comparing these two displays.

The westy image is clear and detailed - I can't distinguish individual pixels nor the gaps between them at the distance I sit. While it doesn't have the colors or the blacks that the LD450 has, I've gotten used to it, and many of the games I play have duller colors anyway.

On the other hand, the LD450 looks very vibrant and crisp, superb color. BUT, I can see the pixels, I can almost detect the pixel pitch between them and I am finding it simply does not match the clarity or the fineness in image quality that the Westy exhibits.

I've played around with the image setings, though I may be missing something - I don't think there's any way to correct what I am seeing and it's just something that goes along with the display.

However, I have really started to notice this in games, and while the colors are definitely better on the 450, the clarity of image on the 37W3 makes it much more immersive and engrossing when comparing the image side-by-side. The westy has a smoothness to it which the LD450 doesn't match and I've taken a few pictures (they're not that good, sorry) that hopefully illustrate what I am getting at.

It's most noticeable on foliage and other area where there's a contrast between rather fine objects. Edges of objects, trees and bushes appear much smoother and have subtle transitions into the background of the image on the 37W3. While on the LD450 it seems that these edges are pronounced and exaggerated - just making things stand out and present a stark contrast to the rest of the scene.

Maybe these pictures don't do it justice.

Hover over the pictures to see which one they came from (37W3 or LD450)
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Part 2: Some more shots to compare these two sets. (excuse the amauter photos and lighting)

Are there any settings that can adjust this? Maybe I haven't hit upon the right ones yet or there's a combination of them that I'm not aware of.

I'm having a real hard time thinking that what I am seeing is something that can be changed by adjusting the set or the picture - I think it's just inherent in the display and that if I am looking for something that's going to bring me what the 37W3 did, than I'm just out of luck.

Am I missing something else here? Is the pixel pitch on this set more apparent to other people as well? How about anyone else that can compare it side by side with a 37W3 or migrated to it from one?

I like the set, it really is great, but if it doesn't hit me like I really want it to, it will probably end up being returned.

Am I being nit-picky here and just have gotten too used to what the 37W3 gave me? Do you guys see what I'm describing?
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay so it's been about a month since I got this TV and I always assumed that it had 4:4:4 just because I've been using it with a spare DVI->HDMI adapter that I always had. I decided to sit down and really play with this thing and it turned out that I was one of the "rare cases" who still had to install the fix despite using the adapter.

Two words: Holy cow. The texts look so clear now, it's almost night and day. I assumed(which by now I've learned I should stop doing) that I just didn't adjust my sharpness settings right... but this looks fantastic. I no longer have to strain my eyes to read text anymore. It's odd that the adapter doesn't fix this problem inherently since on the Host Status screen it says that my signal is DVI.

Information that Phase700B requested:

32LD450
GLOBAL-PLAT2 (Liquid Crystal Display)
08/2010

By the way..

I'm using rawashdeh's settings and everything looks very off. On lagom's white level test, patterns don't show up beyond 246. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Anyone care to share their settings for HDMI on the PS3 or Xbox360? I don't play games or watch movies on my computer.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenLiquidity View Post

Part 2: Some more shots to compare these two sets. (excuse the amauter photos and lighting)

Are there any settings that can adjust this? Maybe I haven't hit upon the right ones yet or there's a combination of them that I'm not aware of.

I'm having a real hard time thinking that what I am seeing is something that can be changed by adjusting the set or the picture - I think it's just inherent in the display and that if I am looking for something that's going to bring me what the 37W3 did, than I'm just out of luck.

Am I missing something else here? Is the pixel pitch on this set more apparent to other people as well? How about anyone else that can compare it side by side with a 37W3 or migrated to it from one?

I like the set, it really is great, but if it doesn't hit me like I really want it to, it will probably end up being returned.

Am I being nit-picky here and just have gotten too used to what the 37W3 gave me? Do you guys see what I'm describing?

I don't see anything here that couldn't be improved with sharpness and contrast settings...
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raldor View Post

Are the higher end LG model numbers on the comparison chart just as good or better for a PC monitor? The LD520 and LD550 for example. Or is it better to stick with the LD450?

Would a 120Hz model be better or worse as a PC monitor?

Assuming you do an apples-to-apples comparison by disabling all processing features on both sets, then both the LD450 and LD520/550 *should* be identical in regards to input lag and 4:4:4 support. However, I recommend you check with the fellows in the official LD550 thread just to make sure.

The general rule of thumb is that 120Hz models have higher input lag, since it introduces additional image processing requirements. Additionally, the key benefits of a 120Hz+ set is dejuddering of 24fps material and frame interpolation/smoothing. Both of these are useless when it comes to a PC signal feed, so 60Hz is perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post

I installed a 47LD450 at work connected to a kiosk computer. Used the Clock menu to set the TV to turn on at 8am and off at 6pm Mon-Fri - easy. Set the time manually. Sleep mode is OFF. However, the TV is turning itself off outside those times, or it's out of sync with the clock somehow. Has anybody run into this?

Thanks,
David

On my sets, I have noticed the internal clock in the LD450 loses a few minutes after every day -- even though the TV is plugged into the outlet for 24/7. Unfortunately I don't know of any fix for this problem, your best bet would be to contact LG support and see if they have an up-to-date firmware available.

Quote:

I've been running a duplicate image on the Westy and the LD450 for a while now and I am noticing a few things about the LD450 that are bugging me. I guess I'm not sure what to expect in the way of image clarity for the LD450, compared to the 37W3 - Maybe it has spoiled me. I am noticing that at the distance that I am sitting at the clarity of the texts is better on the 37W3 than the LD450. Again, I am not sure if this is something I should expect or not when comparing these two displays.

The westy image is clear and detailed - I can't distinguish individual pixels nor the gaps between them at the distance I sit. While it doesn't have the colors or the blacks that the LD450 has, I've gotten used to it, and many of the games I play have duller colors anyway.

On the other hand, the LD450 looks very vibrant and crisp, superb color. BUT, I can see the pixels, I can almost detect the pixel pitch between them and I am finding it simply does not match the clarity or the fineness in image quality that the Westy exhibits.

I've played around with the image setings, though I may be missing something - I don't think there's any way to correct what I am seeing and it's just something that goes along with the display.

First off, try using the settings specified in Q2 of the FAQ as your baseline (note: read my reply to retsnom below for adjustments). Then ensure you're getting proper 4:4:4 support as specified in Q11. If not, install the EDID fix found in Q3.

Once that's done, and if you're still seeing the dissimilarities between the two displays, then I can only offer this conjecture... Note: I have never seen a 37W3 with my own eyes, so take my thoughts for what they're worth

It could be that the LD450 image processor is superior to the 37W3 image processor, and you're now seeing pixel level detail that you never saw before (and therefore just not used to it). Its possible the 37W3 had enough noise in picture quality that it manifested into a softer image.

Or it could be the pixel pitch on both sets are completely different. Assuming the active area of both sets are the same, then the 37W3 could have "fatter" pixels, thereby minimizing the inactive/black areas. Or it could be a matter of IPS vs. non-IPS. Or maybe there's a difference in backlight emission -- where the 37W3 allows more backlight to bleed through the display, thereby giving a seemingly better color rendering (the brain has easier job of "merging" colors of less contrast versus high contrast). Or maybe there's a unique antiglare/polarizer film on the 37W3, thereby giving a "vaseline" effect on picture quality... Who knows, I'm just rambling now

Regardless of the technicalities, the three settings I recommend you should fiddle around with is H Sharpness, V Sharpness, and Edge Enhancer (located in the advanced menu). You can try adjusting these to lessen the harshness of the pixels and get more of a softer image. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsnom View Post

I'm using rawashdeh's settings and everything looks very off. On lagom's white level test, patterns don't show up beyond 246. Any ideas?

If we're just talking about the white level test, in order for me to get up to block 252, I changed backlight to 65, H/V Sharpness to 33/55, and Edge Enhancer to Off.

If we're talking about colors, then yeah, his settings are definitely different compared than to what most are used to. But he has the color spectrum charts to prove his colors. So although it may be different, his settings are more in tune to what colors should actually look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matryx View Post

Anyone care to share their settings for HDMI on the PS3 or Xbox360? I don't play games or watch movies on my computer.

jangaboo posted his PS3 settings awhile ago, you can find them here: link. Note his settings are not based on calibration, but they may be more to your liking.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM

I've adjusted the sharpness and the contrast and I can't seem to find a setting that produces the level of sharpness and and clarity that the 37W3 does, without betraying the individual pixels that make up this image.

There are settings which seem to look better in games, but then they aren't that great for Windows or other applications. I could set up expert inputs, one with settings around games, and the other for applications and browsing, but I don't relish the thought of having to switch between these all the time.

I will of course play around with it some more and see what I can do with it. I think I would be much happier overall with it if I could simply get it to match the finer and more subtle gaps between pixels that the 37W3 exhibits. I think the CoH images provide a good example of this. While the color on the LD450 is far better, the pixel "grille" is far more noticeable when compared to the 37W3. The 37W3 still has it, but it's muted and far softer than the LD450. This is important to me in games at least, as it preserves my sense of immersion. Again, I've played with it and haven't found any results that suit my fancy, but I'll continue to look and will take any suggestions under advisement.

TPC - Just saw your post. Yeah, I have been playing with those settings and I have done many of the steps mentioned previously in this thread, though I'll give the ones you've suggested another run through. I've got the EDID fix installed and am using a DVI -> HDMI cable, though I certainly haven't explored all of the settings people have listed through the 37 pages of the thread, so I will give your suggestions a try.

Comparing them side by side provided a good contrast to the strength and the weaknesses of each display. While the LD450 is newer and more technically capable, perhaps the many years of use I've gotten out of my 37W3 may be providing me with a baseline which is hard for the LD450 to live up to. I'm definitely thinking that it could be one of any of those things you've mentioned and that it's just a difference I will have to accept - considering the unavailability of 37W3s anymore. Had I come straight from a different screen I might be singing high praise about the LD450, though at this point I've gotten so used to the image of my Westy that that's what I want to see from my next display as well! I think that what I might need is a second opinion. I could upload screenshots all day, though I think I'm better off asking a few local friends to tell me which they prefer.

I bet back in the day there were plenty of people who were upset about going from a shadow mask CRT to an aperture grille CRT because of the same stuff.

At this point my biggest beef is that at like distances the pixels blend and provide a smoother image far better on the 37W3 than any settings I've hit on with the LD450 do. Perhaps most people enjoy the hard and definite edges that I am seeing on the LD450, though at the distance I sit from the displays it is overly noticable and bothersome when compared to the 37W3.

I wonder what someone who had used the LD450 for 2-3 years would say if they got it hooked up right next to a 37W3.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM

How do you get to that screen? I configured my logitech remote to get to the ez adjust menu but I'm not seeing anything about calibration.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM

im just so excited reading this thread ... and i found a LD450 in a megastore ... i got myself a sony cx520 to replace my CRT (TV) and tried some experiments on it using HDMI to PC... but i think i like what i am reading here ... so very exciting.

the sony does accept 444 when i set my 5750 to 444(PC mode) but it is not pixelly right. i guess this LG is the best bet to get pixelly right display out of a LCD TV.

in singapore ... they are retailing it S$699 (32") ... i think ima sxxt myself n grab 2 lol ... does 699 seem pricey?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Qn for ThePooh ...

in HDTV review (uk review) site they mentioned a undefeatable edge post processing in the LD450. is this currently still so. or it doesnt really matter that much ? because looking at those sample photos taken on the 444 pixel tests, there doesnt seem to be any such processing.

cheers
Old 03-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Another guy here, who after some reasearch decided to go with the LG 37 LD450. I've been using a 37W3 now for many years. Have probably put at least 10000 hours onto it. It's got some image retention and some dark patches that some Westy's seem to get after a while, so I was looking for a new set to accompany/replace it. My search brought me to this set!

I've got a (W) S-IPS 37 inch LD450 and I'm mostly using rawashdeh's settings, and am ipressed with the colors and brightness of the image. Naturally, I'm using it for 100% PC stuff. Gaming, web browsing, word documents, the works - I sit about 24-28 inches away from it and find myself being very picky about the clarity of the image.

However, I have really started to notice this in games, and while the colors are definitely better on the 450, the clarity of image on the 37W3 makes it much more immersive and engrossing when comparing the image side-by-side. The westy has a smoothness to it which the LD450 doesn't match and I've taken a few pictures (they're not that good, sorry) that hopefully illustrate what I am getting at.

It's most noticeable on foliage and other area where there's a contrast between rather fine objects. Edges of objects, trees and bushes appear much smoother and have subtle transitions into the background of the image on the 37W3. While on the LD450 it seems that these edges are pronounced and exaggerated - just making things stand out and present a stark contrast to the rest of the scene.

Maybe these pictures don't do it justice.

Hover over the pictures to see which one they came from (37W3 or LD450)

I also have the S-IPS 37LD450 and had a similar issue with what you are describing.
It turned out I was not getting 4:4:4 with DVI to HDMI even with the EDID fix and the graphics in game just didnt look right. So i decided to go straight Hdmi to Hdmi and it was the differance in night and day.
I now get 4:4:4 with Hdmi to Hdmi using the EDID fix.

Im not sure what video card you are using but if it has an HDMI port you might want to give it a shot. I use a Palit GTX 470
Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

If we're talking about colors, then yeah, his settings are definitely different compared than to what most are used to. But he has the color spectrum charts to prove his colors. So although it may be different, his settings are more in tune to what colors should actually look like.

I'm sure his color settings are correct and not only because other people have vouched for it, but as you said, because he used a more objective way to adjust his colors. On my TV, however, blues look purple, whites look a little blue, greys has a bit of a greenish yellow tint, etc. I'm used to working with professional grade CRT's that have been calibrated at my current school, and if my memory is serving me right, some of the images that I've worked on in the past looks, again, "off". This is not to take anything away from rawashdeh and his work, though I'm guessing that this is another case of YMMV.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM

hmmm interesting ... i like to grab all your opinions about the CX ...

its my first venture into grabbing macro photos
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20113494

pls comment extensively

sorry for hijacking this thread
Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcouch72 View Post

I also have the S-IPS 37LD450 and had a similar issue with what you are describing.
It turned out I was not getting 4:4:4 with DVI to HDMI even with the EDID fix and the graphics in game just didnt look right. So i decided to go straight Hdmi to Hdmi and it was the differance in night and day.
I now get 4:4:4 with Hdmi to Hdmi using the EDID fix.

Im not sure what video card you are using but if it has an HDMI port you might want to give it a shot. I use a Palit GTX 470

Got a GTX260 - no HDMI, but I got some other cards that I can try on my other systems. When I bring up the test image it looks like it's doing it right, but I honestly can't tell for sure. My camera doesn't seem to be able to get a good enough shot for me to see what's really happening.

Is there any alternative ways to test this? Even then though, I don't see it making the major difference that I'd like to see (though I'd totally fall in love with it if it did)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matryx View Post

two different settings based on how you setup video options for ps3 or xbox 360

Xbox 360 standard and PS3 Limited - grayscale 16-235
Xbox 360 Expanded and PS3 Full - grayscale 0-255

My settings aren't calibrated with equipment

settings i use but try running picture wizard and compare to what your eyes like best

Picture Mode = Game
Backlight = 70-100
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 50
color = 70-100 for video games, 50-60 for movies
tint = 0
color temperature = medium or centered
dynamic contrast = off
dynamic color = off
clear white = off (try changing to low/high see what you like best)
skin color = 0 (negative gives skin pink red tones positive is yellow)
noise reductions = off
Gamma = low
Black level = LOW
eye care = off
color gamut = wide
edge enhancement = off

Input Label = PC (might help get 4:4:4 chroma)
Picture Mode = Game
Backlight = 70-100
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 50
color = 70-100 for video games, 50-60 for movies
tint = 0
color temperature = medium or centered
dynamic contrast = off
dynamic color = off
clear white = off (try changing to low/high see what you like best)
skin color = 0 (negative gives skin pink red tones positive is yellow)
noise reductions = off
Gamma = low
Black level = HIGH
eye care = off
color gamut = wide
edge enhancement = off
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post

Nah, DVI->HDMI and HDMI->HDMI shouldn't make any difference. On my ATI card, both port types are 4:4:4 capable.

Ohhh boy, you have an ATI card. There's been one or two other ATI guys in recent past that have the same problem as you. After extensive troubleshooting (reinstalling drivers, playing around with driver settings, etc), we never found the cause of the problem. And I'm not sure if they ever got 4:4:4 working since they never reported back. But go ahead and try all the usual suspects, like installing the latest drivers as you mentioned and report back. I'll try my best to help you out.

wait a minute so there is an issue with ATI ... specific cards? because im running of to get my LD450 too lol