AVS Forum banner

Official LG XXLD450 Thread

454K views 2K replies 277 participants last post by  norfreka 
#1 ·
Starting an official thread, am I allowed to do that!

Just ordered an LG 42LD450 yesterday, and should arrive next week. This is a 2010 model LCD from LG so I am hoping it is good. Could not find a whole lot of info on it, so we will see.

Please post user reviews, expert reviews, your own reviews, pictures, thoughts, experiences, opinions, pros, cons, etc!

UPDATE: For information about LG XXLD450 displays, please see thepoohcontinuum's FAQ here .

See less See more
#2 ·
UPDATE: For information about LG XXLD450 displays, please see thepoohcontinuum's FAQ here .

Hiya,

if its not much trouble can you post a macro screenshot of the TV when you get it

it will help identify the type of panel in use for that TV

to take a macro shot, put camera on macro setting close as you can to TV on a white background and snap away, might even have to zoom in and you should see pixel patterns (red, green, blue)

might look like this

#5 ·
I just bought the 42" from WalMart yesterday. I'm an enthusiast that has calibration equipment and I did a quick calibration yesterday. I got extremely good results. I'll post them tomorrow. I want to do some more work on the set today and do a daytime and nighttime calibration.

So far the only thing that is not that impressive is the black level, but that is only apparent on scenes that are almost full screen black. The gray scale was excellent, gamma quite flat (although I think I can improve on this with some more work), and the colors were very, very accurate.

So far, I am really impressed with this TV and the off angle viewing is also very good. I bought this set for our son's apartment, and wanted to see how it works in our living room, as I am now almost certainly going to purchase the 60ld550.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd /forum/post/18801510

I just bought the 42" from WalMart yesterday. I'm an enthusiast that has calibration equipment and I did a quick calibration yesterday. I got extremely good results. I'll post them tomorrow. I want to do some more work on the set today and do a daytime and nighttime calibration.

So far the only thing that is not that impressive is the black level, but that is only apparent on scenes that are almost full screen black. The gray scale was excellent, gamma quite flat (although I think I can improve on this with some more work), and the colors were very, very accurate.

So far, I am really impressed with this TV and the off angle viewing is also very good. I bought this set for our son's apartment, and wanted to see how it works in our living room, as I am now almost certainly going to purchase the 60ld550.

awesome LG rocks, do you think you could also post a macro screenshot of the set?

#7 ·
I took some closeups with a cell phone, which I don't have with me at the moment. I did look up close with my eye, and it really looked like the screenshot above, little arrows. I assume they don't make TV's with TN panels, they are either MVA/PVA or some form of IPS? How do you tell the difference?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel /forum/post/18803854

I took some closeups with a cell phone, which I don't have with me at the moment. I did look up close with my eye, and it really looked like the screenshot above, little arrows. I assume they don't make TV's with TN panels, they are either MVA/PVA or some form of IPS? How do you tell the difference?
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-l...l#post10708624

has nice pics and info there

#10 ·
Attached are the early calibration results for this TV. They look very good. The gamma can be improved but I didn't have the time to work on it. Also, I think I can get even better color results by trying the other color space options.

All in all I think it is a very good result from one of their lower priced sets. By the way, this set is dead easy to work with. The internal generated (inner) patterns are great and easy to use.

I used an i1Pro meter, so the low end measurements are not particularly accurate. Also, the contrast ratio is probably not correct.

Overall the picture looks great. I have the output for daylight view at about 60 ftL, as we have a bright room. The blacks look very good on mixed scenes (for example Tiger's outfit was very black at the US Open yesterday).

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo /forum/post/18802921

awesome LG rocks, do you think you could also post a macro screenshot of the set?

Here are some photo's. The one of the black screen overstates how good the black levels are. Also the Wimbledon and the Fox News understates the sharpness of the set. Also, I don't see the vertical banding that is in the white screen photo.

Hope this helps.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel /forum/post/18807921

thanks for the screenshots knd, I think jangaboo was looking for a super closeup screenshot on a white screen, see the 2nd post of the thread

Hi, yep thanks for screens knd but you could also grab a macro screenshot?

Get camera as close to screen as you can on White background, Macro Setting turned on for Camera and might have to play with zoom to see the red/green/blue pattern

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo /forum/post/18808844

Get camera as close to screen as you can on White background, Macro Setting turned on for Camera and might have to play with zoom to see the red/green/blue pattern

Thanks, I didn't understand before. I'll try this tonight, although I don't know how to turn on the macro setting on our point and shoot, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd /forum/post/18805033

Attached are the early calibration results for this TV. They look very good. The gamma can be improved but I didn't have the time to work on it. Also, I think I can get even better color results by trying the other color space options.

All in all I think it is a very good result from one of their lower priced sets. By the way, this set is dead easy to work with. The internal generated (inner) patterns are great and easy to use.

I used an i1Pro meter, so the low end measurements are not particularly accurate. Also, the contrast ratio is probably not correct.

Overall the picture looks great. I have the output for daylight view at about 60 ftL, as we have a bright room. The blacks look very good on mixed scenes (for example Tiger's outfit was very black at the US Open yesterday).

Cool, I have been looking at the 37" version of this set for my son's room as a back up (have an X-Rite i1 Display LT that I'd calibrate it with) for my Samsung 58A550 (which is used 90% of the time for treehouse cartoons!). A few questions:

1. I don't recall seeing any area to adjust the cuts/drives of grey scale, did you do this in the service menu and is it relatively easy to navigate?

2. You mention black level being not so great. This is the issue with my A550, which aside from black level has perfectly flat gamma, bang on color (DE's of less than 1 for most colors except one or two and all well under 10 IIRC), pretty good RGB tracking across the range. What did you measure the lowest black level on your i1Pro and contrast ratio to be?

Thanks!

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18813349

Cool, I have been looking at the 37" version of this set for my son's room as a back up (have an X-Rite i1 Display LT that I'd calibrate it with) for my Samsung 58A550 (which is used 90% of the time for treehouse cartoons!). A few questions:

1. I don't recall seeing any area to adjust the cuts/drives of grey scale, did you do this in the service menu and is it relatively easy to navigate?

2. You mention black level being not so great. This is the issue with my A550, which aside from black level has perfectly flat gamma, bang on color (DE's of less than 1 for most colors except one or two and all well under 10 IIRC), pretty good RGB tracking across the range. What did you measure the lowest black level on your i1Pro and contrast ratio to be?

Thanks!

The gray scale calibration is dead easy (although I could have spent more time on it and got it perfectly flat). It's all done in the user menu. You select Expert1 or Expert2 in the main menu. You then go to expert settings, and you can choose between 2 pt white balance or 10 point. Select 10 point. Then move down the menu (I'm working from memory) and select inner patterns. Once selected then move down to IRE and select 100 (it probably will already pop up). You should have a white screen with the IRE box illuminated near the bottom of the screen (it's shown in one of the pictures I attached above).

Now adjust the RGB for 100 until they balance. Once balanced, note the Y (cd/m^2) reading. Move down the menu to the Luminances box and select the number that corresponds to the Y reading @ 100 IRE that you just took. I don't believe this changes anything, but is used to calculate the target Y for the various IRE levels, based upon the gamma you selected (2.2 in my instance) in the Expert controls.

Go back up to the IRE box, and select 90 IRE. The full screen should then display a dimmer white. Arrow down to Red and you will see a number next to Nits (same as cd/m^2). You should balance R, G, and B for 90 IRE, but also move them all up or down to hit the Y value that matches the Nits. This will balance the RGB but also will dial in the perfect brightness to match the gamma.

I didn't spend enough time moving all 3 to dial in the Nits on the attached calibration, so you can see how good this TV is, even when done in a hurry.

Now just move down through the IRE values balancing RGB and match Y to the Nits listed. I think it will only take one pass to get a very good results.

As far as black level, the lowest I got was 0.182 cd/m^2, which isn't very good. I also have an LT and I thought I would take some more contrast reading with that, as it is more accurate at lower light levels. Also, I want to try and see if at 0 IRE on the gray scale adjustment I pulled R, G, and B down to their lowest setting (I didn't try to balance them at 0 IRE, because 1) I can't see any inaccuracies at this level, and 2) the i1Pro doesn't give very consistent readings (1 tick move in any direction can cause a big swing in the color percentage)).

One of the things that I tried was to set the contrast as high as possible and reduce the backlight to get the desired Y value. (I thought his might produce a greater contrast) Unfortunately, a contrast setting above about 94 didn't leave enough red movement to properly adjust the 100 IRE RGB. You might want to check this, but on my set, max contrast is 94. I don't want to make this sound like it is a major flaw with this set, as it is not. A contrast of 100 will work, but your pure white will be too blue.

While viewing the black look just fine, and my kids hooked up the Xbox 360 yesterday and said the set worked very well with no motion lag (its only a 60 Hz set).

Hope this helps.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo /forum/post/18808844

I tried this last night and the pixels are just too small. You would need a magnifying glass to see anything close to your example above.

I have a 60ld550 on order, and I may be able to make out the pixel structure on this once it arrives, but of course this will be a different TV, but may be the same type of panel - don't know.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixShadow /forum/post/18813120

Can you share your picture settings? I recently picked up a 47 inch LD450 and have had a hard time finding picture settings on Google.

I'll write them down tonight when I get home and post them. I have 2 sets: Expert1 (daytime about 60 ftL of brightness) and Expert2 (nightime about 30 ftL of brightness).

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd /forum/post/18814493

The gray scale calibration is dead easy (although I could have spent more time on it and got it perfectly flat). It's all done in the user menu. You select Expert1 or Expert2 in the main menu. You then go to expert settings, and you can choose between 2 pt white balance or 10 point. Select 10 point. Then move down the menu (I'm working from memory) and select inner patterns. Once selected then move down to IRE and select 100 (it probably will already pop up). You should have a white screen with the IRE box illuminated near the bottom of the screen (it's shown in one of the pictures I attached above).

Now adjust the RGB for 100 until they balance. Once balanced, note the Y (cd/m^2) reading. Move down the menu to the Luminances box and select the number that corresponds to the Y reading @ 100 IRE that you just took. I don't believe this changes anything, but is used to calculate the target Y for the various IRE levels, based upon the gamma you selected (2.2 in my instance) in the Expert controls.

Go back up to the IRE box, and select 90 IRE. The full screen should then display a dimmer white. Arrow down to Red and you will see a number next to Nits (same as cd/m^2). You should balance R, G, and B for 90 IRE, but also move them all up or down to hit the Y value that matches the Nits. This will balance the RGB but also will dial in the perfect brightness to match the gamma.

I didn't spend enough time moving all 3 to dial in the Nits on the attached calibration, so you can see how good this TV is, even when done in a hurry.

Now just move down through the IRE values balancing RGB and match Y to the Nits listed. I think it will only take one pass to get a very good results.

As far as black level, the lowest I got was 0.182 cd/m^2, which isn't very good. I also have an LT and I thought I would take some more contrast reading with that, as it is more accurate at lower light levels. Also, I want to try and see if at 0 IRE on the gray scale adjustment I pulled R, G, and B down to their lowest setting (I didn't try to balance them at 0 IRE, because 1) I can't see any inaccuracies at this level, and 2) the i1Pro doesn't give very consistent readings (1 tick move in any direction can cause a big swing in the color percentage)).

One of the things that I tried was to set the contrast as high as possible and reduce the backlight to get the desired Y value. (I thought his might produce a greater contrast) Unfortunately, a contrast setting above about 94 didn't leave enough red movement to properly adjust the 100 IRE RGB. You might want to check this, but on my set, max contrast is 94. I don't want to make this sound like it is a major flaw with this set, as it is not. A contrast of 100 will work, but your pure white will be too blue.

While viewing the black look just fine, and my kids hooked up the Xbox 360 yesterday and said the set worked very well with no motion lag (its only a 60 Hz set).

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That is not a very good black level indeed, was hoping close to .10, similar to the Samsung's (though I think the LH30 model from last year measured around 0.3 so this is a good decrease from prior year's, if accurate).

Curious, In expert mode, is there a CMS? I was only fiddling with the set at Futureshop looking for what tweaks were available and I guess didn't realize you had to put the set into Expert mode to get to the grey scale adjustments (not familiar with LG sets).

I noticed you posting in the Sammy C6XX series calibration thread which is the other set I'm looking at (well, actually the C5XX series), though it's a 32" set vs 37" (and about the same price). Did you get your hands on that set at all to compare black levels?

Edit: Curious, where did you read that the LT was more accurate than the Pro at low light levels?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18814597

Thanks. That is not a very good black level indeed, was hoping close to .10, similar to the Samsung's (though I think the LH30 model from last year measured around 0.3 so this is a good decrease from prior year's, if accurate).

Curious, In expert mode, is there a CMS? I was only fiddling with the set at Futureshop looking for what tweaks were available and I guess didn't realize you had to put the set into Expert mode to get to the grey scale adjustments (not familiar with LG sets).

I noticed you posting in the Sammy C6XX series calibration thread which is the other set I'm looking at (well, actually the C5XX series), though it's a 32" set vs 37" (and about the same price). Did you get your hands on that set at all to compare black levels?

Edit: Curious, where did you read that the LT was more accurate than the Pro at low light levels?

I did not get a Sammy to review, but Best Buy had them side by side in the local store a couple of weeks ago, so I had a chance to watch the same content on them. I chose the LG primarily from what I read on AVS and think I saw at BB. LG uses a different panel type than Samsung that has better off angle viewing, but not as good black levels.

I bought this for my son's apartment, so I could see one in our living room (which has reflection issues and off angle viewing), so I was primarily interested in a matte screen, and good off angle viewing with decent black levels. A year ago, I built a home theater (Epson 6500) so we do all of our movie viewing there. The TV in the living room is for HDTV news, sitcoms, and sports.

Yes, it as a 2D (color and tint) CMS for the primaries and secondaries.

The spec's on the LT are from 0.02 cd/m^2 to 3000 cd/m^2. The i1Pro is from 0.2 cd/m^2 to 300 cd/m^2.

I got these spec from Tom Huffman's website - Chromapure.

#25 ·
Thanks. Should probably just pull the trigger on this set as I can get it for $599 (which is quite good in Canada) vs close to the same for the Samsung C550 series but 32" vs 37". But for some reason the black level thing puts me off somewhat. But heck, it's for my 3 year old son's room!!

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18814998

Thanks. Should probably just pull the trigger on this set as I can get it for $599 (which is quite good in Canada) vs close to the same for the Samsung C550 series but 32" vs 37". But for some reason the black level thing puts me off somewhat. But heck, it's for my 3 year old son's room!!

I'll get the LT out this evening and do a contrast reading, which will probably be more accurate than with the i1Pro. Also, I'll pull the 0 IRE RGB down and see if this lower's the black levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.