UN55B8500 No longer top dog - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thats right. I now own the Second best Tv on the market. It seems we have been beaten by a plasma yet again. Maybe this is a good sign for me to move over to plasma.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

I've always thought it was a great set. I just might have to get it. lol Should hve taken adavntage of last weeks sale. Oh well. Get it now. So. Other 8500 owners. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Thats right. I now own the Second best Tv on the market. It seems we have been beaten by a plasma yet again. Maybe this is a good sign for me to move over to plasma.

I've always thought it was a great set. I just might have to get it. lol Should hve taken adavntage of last weeks sale. Oh well. Get it now. So. Other 8500 owners. What do you think?

You have only been beaten for a undetermined amount of time. Once the black level rises on the panasonic plasma (which it will because thats how the set is designed) most other sets will will be better than it for image quality. black level of .024 when its done rising will give the set the worst black level on the market. Worse than an insignia piece of crap.

So if i were you I wouldnt worry. Though acccording to CNET the xbr8 is better than the 8500 and is better than a kro if you dont need wide view angle. So I guess your still number 2
post #3 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

You have only been beaten for a undetermined amount of time. Once the black level rises on the panasonic plasma (which it will because thats how the set is designed) most other sets will will be better than it for image quality. black level of .024 when its done rising will give the set the worst black level on the market. Worse than an insignia piece of crap.

So if i were you I wouldnt worry. Though acccording to CNET the xbr8 is better than the 8500 and is better than a kro if you dont need wide view angle. So I guess your still number 2

I doubt the set will rise 10x the original black level.
post #4 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDLICH View Post

I doubt the set will rise 10x the original black level.

They rise three times and the black level of that set is .006. .006x3 is .024. Model year 08 and 09 rose from .008 to between .024 and .030
post #5 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone who's owned this set seen a rise in black level on this set? Cause of that's the case then yeah. I'd look the other way. Otherwise. As long as black levels didn't rise. I wouldn't see why anyone wouldn't get this set. It is a great tv. It was the other honest choice I was considering before my 8500. I just didn't and still don't care about 3D. So I passed.
post #6 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I haven't seen a plasma that can beat my A950, regardless of what the reviewers say
post #7 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So the. Clearly you disagree with cnet? That's a bit of a surprise. It's really a great tv from what I can tell. If burn in wasn't possible with everything I do. I'd get it. It's really a shame that plasma tend to have less input lag but higher chance of burn in. Where LCD had pretty much no chance of burn in yet higher input lag. They should really find a way to partner up there best parts of both techs. Anywho. Does anyone know of raising blacks on this set?
post #8 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So the. Clearly you disagree with cnet? That's a bit of a surprise. It's really a great tv from what I can tell. If burn in wasn't possible with everything I do. I'd get it. It's really a shame that plasma tend to have less input lag but higher chance of burn in. Where LCD had pretty much no chance of burn in yet higher input lag. They should really find a way to partner up there best parts of both techs. Anywho. Does anyone know of raising blacks on this set?

Why don't you post this in the plasma forum, more specifically the Panasonic forum.
post #9 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone who's owned this set seen a rise in black level on this set? Cause of that's the case then yeah. I'd look the other way. Otherwise. As long as black levels didn't rise. I wouldn't see why anyone wouldn't get this set. It is a great tv. It was the other honest choice I was considering before my 8500. I just didn't and still don't care about 3D. So I passed.

You dont have to see that happen and there isnt anyone here that has put enough hrs on one to have it happen.

It is by design for longevity from panasonic. If you call them theey will tell you this is normal. It has been in design since 06 thru the 2010 sets.

Its not if you it is when. CNET is pouring hrs on the g25 they reviewed to see when it happens.
post #10 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Why don't you post this in the plasma forum, more specifically the Panasonic forum.

I figured. Hey, why not post it here so JoeSony could cry about being here. A higher power made you join and post in this thread.

Anyway. To the real matter. I was told the rising blacks was an issue only on 09 models. Could this set also have a higher lifespan then LED sets? Including the 8500?

I'd like to know what other 8500 owners think of this set.
post #11 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I figured. Hey, why not post it here so JoeSony could cry about being here. A higher power made you join and post in this thread.

Anyway. To the real matter. I was told the rising blacks was an issue only on 09 models. Could this set also have a higher lifespan then LED sets? Including the 8500?

I'd like to know what other 8500 owners think of this set.

Yeah right.... You create more threads on the 8500 when there's a dedicated owners' thread already. But hey you've already bought one sold bought another one so I defer to your expertise.
post #12 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most people don't care about input lag. If I had agreed with CNET I would have purchased a Kuro. They don't care about a dim picture and yellow-whites but I do
post #13 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Most people don't care about input lag. If I had agreed with CNET I would have purchased a Kuro. They don't care about a dim picture and yellow-whites but I do

Well said. But why wouldn't someone care about input lag? I can understand someone who doesn't game to not care. So life on these sets? Yay? Nay?
post #14 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish there was a VT20 without 3d capability for a few hundred cheaper
post #15 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

I wish there was a VT20 without 3d capability for a few hundred cheaper

I think the next best thing to that would be the G20. Has anyone compared the V20/25 to the 8500?
post #16 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. Black level rise effects all panasonic pllasmas 06 up to and including 2010 sets.

09 sets just suffered the fastest with rise within 300-1000 hrs due to aggresive voltage adjustments.

the voltage adjustments happen on all 06-2010 panny plasmas and do increase the black level just at smaller increments taking longer. There are several 06 and -7 pannys that people posted black level in the .02 to .026 area.

There is no getting around it. It is panasonics patented way of extending life on the set that does this. It is going to happen. Panasonic says so. there is no denying it.
post #17 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So they rise the black level to give the set greater life? Doesn't that defeat the point of getting it to begin with? And how would it extend it's life?
post #18 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Well said. But why wouldn't someone care about input lag? I can understand someone who doesn't game to not care. So life on these sets? Yay? Nay?

There is more to life than playing video games.
post #19 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So they rise the black level to give the set greater life? Doesn't that defeat the point of getting it to begin with? And how would it extend it's life?

Back in 05 a panny plasma was rated at 60000 hrs. In 06 thru now with thier voltage increasing technology the sets are rated at 100000 hrs.

Thats how the lifespan is increased. Problem is you lose black level by a large margin to acheive this.
post #20 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

There is more to life than playing video games.

Uhhh. I don't think anyone here was saying that's all life had to offer. There's more to live then a fancy HDTV. So please don't tell me you were referring to people buying an HDTV for games meaning they have less of a life to lose using it for things other then games. If that's the case your idea of a "life" is all messed up
post #21 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The last I read from D-Nice about the rising blacks in 2010 is if you get a set manufactured after April(which includes all the VTs I believe) the voltage adjustment is even less drastic than the early g20s and s2s. His sentiment was that by the time the rising blacks actually bother you, you'll have trashed the set for the latest and greatest.
post #22 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:

It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. The Kuro, as well as other plasmas, are still frequently rated better than the B8500 in terms of black levels/PQ. A more accurate statement would be to say that the B8500 is the best LCD. A lot of people are set on LCDs for the brighter picture, lack of IR concerns, and input lag. All of these still hold true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Yeah right.... You create more threads on the 8500 when there's a dedicated owners' thread already. But hey you've already bought one sold bought another one so I defer to your expertise.

Seriously! How many times has he done this now? All of these questions would be much better suited for the owners thread.

Quote:

There are about 65,000 posts in the plasma forum on this. You spend enough time here, it should not be hard for you to do your own research.
post #23 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

The last I read from D-Nice about the rising blacks in 2010 is if you get a set manufactured after April(which includes all the VTs I believe) the voltage adjustment is even less drastic than the early g20s and s2s. His sentiment was that by the time the rising blacks actually bother you, you'll have trashed the set for the latest and greatest.

So were talking maybe 4/5 years? Or we talking like 10? I like to keep a set for at least 4/5 years.

And I didn't think of that. The B8500 is still the greatest LCD. I guess that's what I should pay closer attention 2.
post #24 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Uhhh. I don't think anyone here was saying that's all life had to offer. There's more to live then a fancy HDTV. So please don't tell me you were referring to people buying an HDTV for games meaning they have less of a life to lose using it for things other then games. If that's the case your idea of a "life" is all messed up

Don't think that's what I was saying at all.
post #25 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Im considering returning my Samsung UN55C8000 for this, but let me tell you the 3D glasses are horrid. They hurt and fall off your face. I'm mostly worried about 2D though.

The samsung is great for the most part, but has some flashlighting and if you are not straight on to the TV the colors/blacks wash out massively.

Oh what to do...
post #26 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMilne View Post

Im considering returning my Samsung UN55C8000 for this, but let me tell you the 3D glasses are horrid. They hurt and fall off your face. I'm mostly worried about 2D though.

The samsung is great for the most part, but has some flashlighting and if you are not straight on to the TV the colors/blacks wash out massively.

Oh what to do...

Well. The panny is cheaper and both 2D and 3D content is better. If your not afriad of plasma. I'd say go for it. I honestly want one. But I'm to afraid of burn in.
post #27 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IT's just what I do. I'm a guy of new taste. I like to own something for a bit then sell it when I can still get a decent price so I can try out the next best thing. TVs seem to hange every year. Heck. Every six months. The 8500 may be the greater set now. But give it a few months and it won't be. I like new toys and love trying out sets. It's like an odd hobbie I have.

Quote:

So were talking maybe 4/5 years? Or we talking like 10? I like to keep a set for at least 4/5 years. .

So which is it?

Quote:

I don't like the idea of someone going into the service menu. Let alone paying an extra 300 bucks on a tv that should already look great. IMO. I think a tv should be able to look almost perfect without touching the service menu. I don't understand why the manufactures just don't get it right to begin with

Quote:

Actually, calibration wouldn't cost me a dime. I'm also a bit concerned about my green footprint.

So which is it?

Quote:

It seems every time I think about it I get closer and closer to getting a plasma. Then something stops me. And when I do get em. I sell em. WTF

...and yet you feel the need to start a thread and discuss it further?

Whatever...I guess
post #28 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's cute. A fan boy. "whatever I guess"
post #29 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

why don't we all just show our respects to the current HDTV King... it doesn't matter if it's lcd or plasma, as long as its good... besides all of you who want the lcd/led back on top, CNEt has yet to review the UNC9000...
post #30 of 84 Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubear View Post

... besides all of you who want the lcd/led back on top, CNEt has yet to review the UNC9000...

There is no way that the C9000 will be on top. It's an insanely overpriced, shiny, flimsy edge-lit set. It was clearly not marketed to the crowd concerned with best PQ. It's intended to entice people who are impressed with how thick and shiny the TV is.

It doesn't hold a candle to TVs like the B8500, XBR8, LH90, HX900, or LX9500.

The best bet for dethroning the B8500 in the near term is the HX900 or LX9500 (although I doubt it). A few months later the LG LEX series or Toshiba Cell would have decent chances. Nothing that Samsung has announced for this year will even be in the same ballpark though.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page