Official Sony XBR HX909 owners' thread (52HX909, 46HX909, HX9, HX900) - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 2897 Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Get the 52, I watch my 55 at 9 feet and wish I would have bought the 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 AM

Liked: 11
IMO no doubt ... 52" ... learned this lesson the hard way!
post #1863 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcnet View Post
IMO no doubt ... 52" ... learned this lesson the hard way!
I always tell people to get one size bigger than you think you want. Get the 52.
post #1864 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

I always tell people to get one size bigger than you think you want. Get the 52.

Guibs from 9 feet away, get the 52". Do yourself a favor. Also would recommend getting the monolithic stand since your in Canada for just $100 before its too late. I have it and the TV just looks SICK sitting on it, such a beautiful TV.
post #1865 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

Guibs from 9 feet away, get the 52". Do yourself a favor. Also would recommend getting the monolithic stand since your in Canada for just $100 before its too late. I have it and the TV just looks SICK sitting on it, such a beautiful TV.

I guess the only thing holding me back on the 52" is, do you notice input lag when playing games on it and also, notice any execive motion blur in game mode ?
post #1866 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

I guess the only thing holding me back on the 52" is, do you notice input lag when playing games on it and also, notice any execive motion blur in game mode ?

FWIW what input lag there is has not bothered me enough to use game mode for my replay of Mass Effect 1&2 and Fable III. There was some blur while spinning the camera in Fallout:NV that I corrected by enabling game mode. However, I then turned off enough motion processing in normal mode to enjoy Fallout without game mode because I am now spoiled on the absolutely insane black levels on this TV. Game mode is probably useful to twitch gamers but be warned that, as covered by others before in this thread, you'll sacrifice those deep black levels when you set it (though they will still be good).

To quote a coin commercial I laugh at, avoid disappointment and future regret. Buy the 52".
post #1867 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:

You seem to have been trying to decide on this TV for a VERY long time now. What has it been, a year??

I own the 52" and already stated more than once that the input lag feels very good on it EVEN when i have LD enabled in game mode.

Seeing that LD in game mode doesnt boost the contrast as much as other modes i guess it makes sense that it doesnt add much or any input lag. Although even this "reduced" LD still gives a HUGE improvement in contrast compared to just using the panel with LD disabled.

I would say from the feel of gaming on it, it seems to be around 30-40ms of input lag which is pretty good. Ive been playing the Killzone 3 open beta on my 52HX909 for a while now and it looks STUNNING on this set and is very responsive. The 3d for this game is also the best ive seen so far by a long shot. I really felt sucked into the map when trying it in 3d on this set, you have to see how good this is to believe it, trust me.

As for motion, so far it handles everything very well with great motion resolution. I use MF on clear1 and it seems to handle anything i throw at it without any motion handling issues. If I see any blur, usually its a crappy cable source causing it and not the TV.

Now that the price is so low here ($2699) at sonystyle.ca for the 52HX909 just go buy it and be happy. And get the monolithic stand for another $100, you wont regret it.

I payed over $4k for this set when it first came out, like a sucker. Consider yourself lucky and get this set while you still can!
post #1868 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragsleeper View Post

FWIW what input lag there is has not bothered me enough to use game mode for my replay of Mass Effect 1&2 and Fable III. There was some blur while spinning the camera in Fallout:NV that I corrected by enabling game mode. However, I then turned off enough motion processing in normal mode to enjoy Fallout without game mode because I am now spoiled on the absolutely insane black levels on this TV. Game mode is probably useful to twitch gamers but be warned that, as covered by others before in this thread, you'll sacrifice those deep black levels when you set it (though they will still be good).

To quote a coin commercial I laugh at, avoid disappointment and future regret. Buy the 52".

Did you compare black levels with enabling LD in game mode to general/cinema with LD enabled?

I see what you mean, game mode with LD doesnt dim the panel as much as non game mode but it doesn't seem to be that much worse for overall black levels/contrast.

Also, game mode will give you full 4:4:4 chroma resolution, something that the other modes with the improved contrast from LD will unfortunately not allow for.
post #1869 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You seem to have been trying to decide on this TV for a VERY long time now. What has it been, a year??

I own the 52" and already stated more than once that the input lag feels very good on it EVEN when i have LD enabled in game mode.

Seeing that LD in game mode doesnt boost the contrast as much as other modes i guess it makes sense that it doesnt add much or any input lag. Although even this "reduced" LD still gives a HUGE improvement in contrast compared to just using the panel with LD disabled.

I would say from the feel of gaming on it, it seems to be around 30-40ms of input lag which is pretty good. Ive been playing the Killzone 3 open beta on my 52HX909 for a while now and it looks STUNNING on this set and is very responsive. The 3d for this game is also the best ive seen so far by a long shot. I really felt sucked into the map when trying it in 3d on this set, you have to see how good this is to believe it, trust me.

As for motion, so far it handles everything very well with great motion resolution. I use MF on clear1 and it seems to handle anything i throw at it without any motion handling issues. If I see any blur, usually its a crappy cable source causing it and not the TV.

Now that the price is so low here ($2699) at sonystyle.ca for the 52HX909 just go buy it and be happy. And get the monolithic stand for another $100, you wont regret it.

I payed over $4k for this set when it first came out, like a sucker. Consider yourself lucky and get this set while you still can!

Yeah been looking since a while. Already return 4 tvs so I want to make sure in get the right one this time. I must say your are very convincing.

Would it be possible to post some pictures of your setup? I am curious to see the look with the monolith stand your are recommending. I was planing to just fix the tv on the stand of the desk I showed on the picture.
post #1870 of 2897 Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Yeah been looking since a while. Already return 4 tvs so I want to make sure in get the right one this time. I must say your are very convincing.

Would it be possible to post some pictures of your setup? I am curious to see the look with the monolith stand your are recommending. I was planing to just fix the tv on the stand of the desk I showed on the picture.

When i get a chance ill post them, for now i dont have any. You really have nothing to lose, its only $100 here. If you dont like it just return it i guess...

It looks really nice as long as the table its sitting on is long enough to accommodate the full width of the stand. I think for $100 its a steal...

Have you considered maybe getting the 55NX810 instead of a 52HX909? Maybe for input lag it might be better since it doesnt have full local dimming which should mean less processing for its limited local dimming. Its also cheaper and slightly bigger/thinner.

Seeing that you are very sensitive to input lag i think you should try it out at the store to see if you find it more responsive than the HX9, unless full range local dimming is a must for you.
post #1871 of 2897 Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When i get a chance ill post them, for now i dont have any. You really have nothing to lose, its only $100 here. If you dont like it just return it i guess...

It looks really nice as long as the table its sitting on is long enough to accommodate the full width of the stand. I think for $100 its a steal...

Have you considered maybe getting the 55NX810 instead of a 52HX909? Maybe for input lag it might be better since it doesnt have full local dimming which should mean less processing for its limited local dimming. Its also cheaper and slightly bigger/thinner.

Seeing that you are very sensitive to input lag i think you should try it out at the store to see if you find it more responsive than the HX9, unless full range local dimming is a must for you.

Reason I am getting this tv is the local dimming. I returned 2 tv already because of bad clouding. I tried the 46" hx909 in store with my console and could not feel any input lag even with local dimming. But reading that possibly bigger tv may have a bit more lag is worrying me.
post #1872 of 2897 Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Well it feels fine for me and id recommend the 52". Good luck and i hope to hear you recieved it soon.
post #1873 of 2897 Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got my new Sony HX909 yesterday and cannot apply the firmware via Sony's support site. I'm formatting a blank USB stick (PICO Super Talent) copying the *.bin file to the stick, plugging it into the TV, the TV recognizes USB but nothing happens.

I'm formatting the USB as FAT32 as the Sony site says.

Any recommendations here I really appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #1874 of 2897 Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Well I think I'm going to get the 52" as it seems everything think it's the size I should get. I'll try to drop by my best buy tonight, see if they can match Sonystyle's pricing. If they won't, I guess I'll order from Sony directly.
post #1875 of 2897 Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got my HX909 yesterday for $2288. I live in the US and picked it up from a wholesaler.

BTW, I did my firmware to update. Had to force it using Internet update then turn the TV off.
post #1876 of 2897 Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Look at these pictures of the HX920 you guys!

post #1877 of 2897 Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

looks very similar to the hx909 if you ask me.
post #1878 of 2897 Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

hi,

do you use ambient sensor?
did you turn it on or off?
No, I don't have perfect and controlled lighting for my tv.
We watch TV 90% at evening time, ambient light is about 16-20 Lux on TV.

Will that ambient sensor help me and how?
I know that for calibration it has to be off.

what do you say?
post #1879 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Those pics look awesome. The only thing im jealous of is the thinner bezel around the screen. It sucks that the 909 was made so wide on the bezel...oh well.
post #1880 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Those pics look awesome. The only thing im jealous of is the thinner bezel around the screen. It sucks that the 909 was made so wide on the bezel...oh well.

Good observation, I agree that improves the overall look some though I don't mind so much since the bezel fades into darkness when I view at night, which is the only time I really have to watch. To answer your previous question I did enable LD in Game Mode and it helped, but the biggest drawback that I should have mentioned originally is that in game mode the clouding becomes visible even with LD on. Really that's the thing that bothered me, though unless I'm playing a game like Dead Space 2 it mostly isn't visible except during scene transitions. Still, bothers me enough that I try to avoid game mode in spite of the 4:4:4 chroma resolution.
post #1881 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs
looks very similar to the hx909 if you ask me.
They seem to be running out of design options. I love the simplicity of the monolithic design. I hate TV's with fat plasticky bezels, especially colored ones. But it seems that Sony's movement to minimalism is approaching an asymptote. Time will tell.
post #1882 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

good catch. It might be overal the same size as the 52" physically since this is a 55" instead of a 52" but witha thiner frame.
post #1883 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post

They seem to be running out of design options. I love the simplicity of the monolithic design. I hate TV's with fat plasticky bezels, especially colored ones. But it seems that Sony's movement to minimalism is approaching an asymptote. Time will tell.

personally, I LOVE the monolith design, don't get me wrong.
post #1884 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragsleeper View Post

that's reassuring to hear. Wonder how come enabling local dimming in game mode doesn't get rid of clouding. This is partially why I am interested in this Tv. The local dimming feature for deep back but espicially to get rid of annoying clouding. I already returned 2 sony tv because clouding. The next step was to get this TV to get rid of the issue.

May I ask you how far away from the TV you are seated?
post #1885 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Quick question...

Does the 909 utilize a ventilation fan? If so, how quiet is it? Hopefully there is no fan.

I have a XBR-4, I've enjoyed the TV but the hummmm from the fan is irritating and fatiguing during quiet scenes or in general when there is low/no volume.

I don't want this noise issue with my next TV.

Also, I second the emotion on the thinner bezel. The XBR-4 has such a large bezel that I "feel" like I have a bigger TV than I actually do. It's a nice bezel, but a waste of space in my opinion. If the bezel were thinner, I would have room for a larger display.

Thanks.

Sometimes it is better to travel than to arrive.
post #1886 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyiiikes View Post

Quick question...

Does the 909 utilize a ventilation fan? If so, how quiet is it? Hopefully there is no fan.

I have a XBR-4, I've enjoyed the TV but the hummmm from the fan is irritating and fatiguing during quiet scenes or in general when there is low/no volume.

Also, I second the emotion on the thinner bezel. The XBR-4 has such a large bezel that I "feel" like I have a bigger TV than I actually do. It's a nice bezel, but a waste of space in my opinion. If the bezel were thinner, I would have room for a larger display.

Thanks.

I hear yah, the size of the XBR4 bezel made a 40" look like a 46". Newer televisions do not typically have fans, especially LED-LCD. The HX909 wont have a fan but it does have a heatsink. No noise thereof.
post #1887 of 2897 Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyiiikes View Post

Quick question...

Thanks.

What do you think of the HX909 bezel? If you are after a very thin bezel you might be better off waiting for the HX920 now, or even go for an NX810 if you dont care to have full range local dimming.
post #1888 of 2897 Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:

that's reassuring to hear. Wonder how come enabling local dimming in game mode doesn't get rid of clouding. This is partially why I am interested in this Tv. The local dimming feature for deep back but espicially to get rid of annoying clouding. I already returned 2 sony tv because clouding. The next step was to get this TV to get rid of the issue.

May I ask you how far away from the TV you are seated?

I am about 10 feet away from the screen. Thankfully the local dimming does completely eliminate the clouding, but as you are aware it doesn't work in game mode or 3D. I am also annoyed by clouding and that's why I generally try to avoid using game mode for my games, and fortunately I've had little trouble doing so. I play a lot of games BTW so that would have been a dealbreaker if the input lag was bad enough that I could only use game mode. I am probably not as sensitive to input lag as some though; a lot of the early part of this thread was dedicated to counting ms and dwelling on it so I was concerned before I got the TV. Turns out it's fine for me. If I did a lot of competitive multiplayer gaming my opinion would probably be different, but I'm an RPGer.

I can't answer why local dimming doesn't work as well in game mode but andrewfree posted something earlier in this thread that seemed to make sense:

andrewfree:
3. LCD panel updates and local dimming are decoupled. It's pretty rare that it becomes noticeable, but when you're running in game mode, the LCD panel response takes priority over everything, and in some rare cases you will notice the LCD updating and the local dimming 'catching up' a fraction of a second later. With game mode disabled, the LCD panel & local dimming are perfectly synced to avoid this issue. I think this is partly why the contrast of the local dimming is reduced, because it would be a major problem if a local dimming zone was turned off, and lagged behind the LCD panel...

...While playing on game mode with local dimming set to standard I have noticed that on a black screen it is now dark gray with hotspots, essentially the same effect you typically get when you turn local dimming off. This is making me wonder if toggling the local dimming when in game mode is actually doing anything. Can anyone confirm seeing this on their set as well? It's not a problem really just curiosity here.As mentioned above, in Game mode, the local dimming backlight response is decoupled from the lcd panel response, and so they need to stop local dimming going down to pure black. If you toggle local dimming on/off in game mode, you will see that there is still a considerable improvement in contrast, it's just not quite as high as the other modes.
post #1889 of 2897 Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM

We've had the 52" HX909 for 4 months now. Money well-spent. It's awesome to finally watch HD blu-rays the way they were intended.

Quick question to fellow owners, is there any way to improve the 2D-to-3D conversion or has there been a firmware upgrade that it improves it? I got the extra filters for the glasses from Sony the other week but it didn't improve it (but it did improve the head-tilt problem).
post #1890 of 2897 Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Had mine hooked up the night before the stupid bowl, stunning. Got it @ 1999 from the soon to be gone ultimate electronics, since they screwed me out of my original TV.

I am about 11-12ft away. My first flat screen TV, now hooked to my first blu-ray.

Life is good. Now, if I could get my sub to behave....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page