Official Sony XBR HX909 owners' thread (52HX909, 46HX909, HX9, HX900) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2897 Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

For those interested:

I started a new Thread for HX909 SETTINGS discussion only.

This thread is so full of discussion of features and people looking for various things and comparisons with other TVs and such, I thought it would be helpful to have another place to talk ONLY about what settings seem to work best as well as discussing exactly what some of the more poorly documented settings actually do when you use them.

This discussion will include settings for basic controls like Picture, Brightness, Backlight, etc. As well as experiences with the more esoteric settings like Motionflow, Local Dimming, and setting the TV to download firmware updates while it is in standby mode (like WHEN or IF there ever are any firware updates). That new thread is where you want to go to find out how to get the most out of your HX909. I want to try to keep the new thread focused on image ACCURACY... and how to get close to it. And NOT get much into personal preferences.

Here's the URL for message #1
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18872162

Thanks, Doug...please let us know if you observe color drifting after calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2897 Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone PLEASE PLEASE do an input lag test on this set and post the results for the community?

Input lag test results on the 52A750

"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
post #183 of 2897 Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Liked: 10
has anyone tried this....this was mentioned early in the 2010 sony bravia thread but that was before the sets were out....can one of the owners verify this article???

http://translate.google.com/translat...ende%26hl%3Den
post #184 of 2897 Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Unlikely that 2 people can watch different 2D shows with 3D glasses on the same TV
post #185 of 2897 Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0holla View Post

has anyone tried this....this was mentioned early in the 2010 sony bravia thread but that was before the sets were out....can one of the owners varify this article???

http://translate.google.com/translat...ende%26hl%3Den

nice idea, but perhaps something they'll bring into future models? I think they might need to change the way the glasses work - so for person A both lenses are open while person B's are closed.

plus, how would audio work?

And they can't even get PIP working properly with two digital inputs, they need one of them to be a tuner input, so it would probably be crippled anyway
post #186 of 2897 Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

One step closer to Back to the Future 2!

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #187 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Please do yourself a favor and go audition it for yourself. I did so at our Sonystyle for 40 minutes and I never saw any Blue Blacks. Outside my not caring for the small size at 52" for a flagship panel I thought it was excellent viewing and were it 60"+ I'd probably buy one myself but not at MSRP.

Audition and try out the settings recommended here or tweak them for your preferences and nothings lost if you have return rights when buying.

Hello MR.

i input my msg. to thread that i read your msg. qouted,but thread starter warn me that thread is for calibration.
i would like to ask from here

while you demo HX909 at sonystyle for 40 min,Have you ever noticed blooming effect_???

Best regards

DH>>bons@i / AVF>>b0nsai / TF>>bonsai
post #188 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Doug Blackburn can you spare some time to post some info about the TV here? As you can see theres no much info since so few people own a set. I think many people are looking for the input lag values in addition to some picture quality stuff. Thanks in advance!
post #189 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM

review of the HX800 which is one below the HX900, http://translate.google.com/translat...Den%26prmd%3Dv
No blooming found, excellent contrast and excellent 2d performance.
post #190 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bons@i View Post

Hello MR.

i input my msg. to thread that i read your msg. qouted,but thread starter warn me that thread is for calibration.
i would like to ask from here

while you demo HX909 at sonystyle for 40 min,Have you ever noticed blooming effect_???

Best regards

During my viewing I noticed no blooming from the demo material fed - I was impressed with most of the content and would buy the panel if it were 60" or larger.

Keep in mind I'm near sighted and not obsessive like some here and it's not like I would walk within inches of the panel to try to see blooming replicate - at normal viewing distance I could not detect it.

Perhaps if I got up to the panel with a magnifying glass I could find something more but I want to audition based upon realilty of my viewing not OCD approach to areas that won't replicate in my HT room.

Good Luck to the thread starter in keeping his settings thread virginal - it'll never happen, in fact by making it an issue it'll bait the opposite.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #191 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

During my viewing I noticed no blooming from the demo material fed - I was impressed with most of the content and would buy the panel if it were 60" or larger.

Keep in mind I'm near sighted and not obsessive like some here and it's not like I would walk within inches of the panel to try to see blooming replicate - at normal viewing distance I could not detect it.

Perhaps if I got up to the panel with a magnifying glass I could find something more but I want to audition based upon realilty of my viewing not OCD approach to areas that won't replicate in my HT room.

Good Luck to the thread starter in keeping his settings thread virginal - it'll never happen, in fact by making it an issue it'll bait the opposite.

thanks for reply

DH>>bons@i / AVF>>b0nsai / TF>>bonsai
post #192 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:

What was your estimated viewing distance for the observations you made?...thanks.
post #193 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Oh, there are some of us who will be pretty keen to help him keep it on track. I expect it'll go just fine in time.

-Noob
post #194 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Just noticed something REALLY interesting... there's a lot more 3D flicker when the panel is "cold" than there is after it has been on for more than 30 minutes. In fact, there was so much flicker with the panel "cold" when I was using a Panasonic 3D disc player, I thought the Panasonic player and Sony TV were not going to "play well together" - but the longer the TV was on, the less flicker there was... up to the 30-45 minute range when flicker seemed to reach a minimum.

It's speculation... but something is definitely changing as the TV "warms"... or possibly it's the glasses that get better after they've been on for 30 minites+... not sure at this point. Will try 3D with the TV warm and glasses "cold" to see if there's noticeable 3D flicker or not.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #195 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ-GrayFox View Post

Doug Blackburn can you spare some time to post some info about the TV here? As you can see theres no much info since so few people own a set. I think many people are looking for the input lag values in addition to some picture quality stuff. Thanks in advance!

I can't say too much about PQ or measurement info until after the review is published (probably mid-to-late September). I'm not interested in input lag so I won't even be looking at that aspect of performance. I'm most concerned with how accurate the images can be made by an owner without anything more than a test/setup disc and how accurate the TV can be made with instrumented calibration. Along with how well it reproduces Blu-ray, with some comments about Standard Def upconversion (though this is getting less important as better video processing appears in AVRs and disc players). I have another 3D TV here at the same time with the same deadline for publishing so I have to split my reviewing time between both. Good thing I'm retired from my imaging systems engineering job or it would be impossible to do this much reviewing. I also have two 3D Blu-ray players, a high-end surround processor coming, and an HDMI 1.4 AVR coming. This is turning into equipment central.

I will use DisplayMate with Motion to evaluate Motion Blur for the review.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #196 of 2897 Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Noob View Post

Hello,

I have some technical questions on the HX909:

(1) Does anyone know how many discrete locally dimmable blocks it has?
(2) How many connectors?
(3) As a rider to (1), how many discrete horizontal rows and vertical columns?
(4) How many LEDs per block?
(5) What is the bit-rate of the LEDs?

I will be grateful for any reliable information from those in the know (btw, where is xrox these days???).

I had a chance to dig into a 52HX909. Here is what I found:

96 local dimming blocks (sorry, I thought it was 128 but that is for a 60 panel. This model comes in 52 max).

12 columns by 8 rows

9 LED's per block

White LED's with gamut range exceeding ATSC specs

12-bits per segment for dimming and blinking control

16 control cables from the LED drive board with 12 lines each (1 B+ and one PWM pull-down control for each block).

This is an impressive display device. Those of you who were not able to acquire an XBR8 and are willing to accept the 52 size limit might want to look into this panel. The other choice is to wait and see if it becomes available in a larger size.

I see that this post is quickly getting large and the original intent for others to share adjustment ideas. Therefore, I will probably focus my responses to other posts that are geared towards a technical nature.

Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
post #197 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromothra View Post

What was your estimated viewing distance for the observations you made?...thanks.

Actually SonyStyle had a seating area setup with what seemed to be about a 10' viewing distance and I did not just sit there throughout - they weren't feeding any 2D material so I can't comment on that but I wasn't worried about 2D as I own a Z5100 and already know how that performs on that CCFL which my wife is quite happy with that Sony and expect 2D being a notch or two above it and the HX909 black levels blow away the Z and joining that with it's depth of field of it's 3D matched with the blacks make it a WoW experience with the right content.

The 3D was excellent throughout with Soccer being the least impressive and video gaming most and the ESPN 3D game with USC/OSU was quite interesting demonstrating the potential for college/pro football with the closer camera work of it versus Soccer.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #198 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:

I can't say too much about PQ or measurement info until after the review is published (probably mid-to-late September). I'm not interested in input lag so I won't even be looking at that aspect of performance. I'm most concerned with how accurate the images can be made by an owner without anything more than a test/setup disc and how accurate the TV can be made with instrumented calibration. Along with how well it reproduces Blu-ray, with some comments about Standard Def upconversion (though this is getting less important as better video processing appears in AVRs and disc players). I have another 3D TV here at the same time with the same deadline for publishing so I have to split my reviewing time between both. Good thing I'm retired from my imaging systems engineering job or it would be impossible to do this much reviewing. I also have two 3D Blu-ray players, a high-end surround processor coming, and an HDMI 1.4 AVR coming. This is turning into equipment central.

I will use DisplayMate with Motion to evaluate Motion Blur for the review.

Too bad that you dont have time to relax and enjoy them.
Good luck with those reviews.
post #199 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not interested in input lag so I won't even be looking at that aspect of performance.

Input lag has become a very important aspect of display performance. It doesn't take long to test it, and it would help highlight the issue to manufacturers if more reviews mentioned it.
post #200 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

Input lag has become a very important aspect of display performance. It doesn't take long to test it, and it would help highlight the issue to manufacturers if more reviews mentioned it.

if its not important to the WSR review (review review?), would you consider spending a few minutes testing it and letting us know the result? like a special AVS exclusive?
post #201 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran View Post

This is an impressive display device. Those of you who were not able to acquire an XBR8 and are willing to accept the 52 size limit might want to look into this panel. The other choice is to wait and see if it becomes available in a larger size.

Thanks. I like this sort of info. Did you do this for the Samsung UN55b8500? Any opinion about it? Was it well made like the xbr8?
post #202 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

[...]

I see that this post is quickly getting large and the original intent for others to share adjustment ideas. Therefore, I will probably focus my responses to other posts that are geared towards a technical nature.

You, display veteran, are an angel of the LORD. Thank you so much for that information! It neatly explains why people are seeing more blooming but also better black levels on these TVs. You have my deepest gratitude for sharing this information.

Most Sincerely,

Noob

-Noob
post #203 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

96 local dimming blocks (sorry, I thought it was 128 but that is for a 60 panel. This model comes in 52 max).

I'm puzzled that nobody asked you what 60" panel you were referring to.
Obviously you have seen some data (specs, schematics, block diagrams...).

bye
Benny
post #204 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 AM

I ordered the 52HX909 on sonystyle.com on tuesday and tracking the tv through DB Schenker. I haven't received it yet and the weird thing is the tv has been in los angeles this whole time and i live in los angeles. has anyone here dealt with this shipping company before? can't wait to get this awesome tv.
post #205 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 AM

HILARIOUS! I just got the call from DB Schenker saying they're droppin the tv off today. Sorry for the last post, i wrote it for nothing.
post #206 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordiesep88 View Post

HILARIOUS! I just got the call from DB Schenker saying they're droppin the tv off today. Sorry for the last post, i wrote it for nothing.

Looking forward to pics, comments, review...etch. Congratulations.
post #207 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I'm not interested in input lag so I won't even be looking at that aspect of performance.

This statement right here is part of the problem. Why would a "reviewer" not care about this aspect of the tvs performance? I'm sorry but that's a completely moronic statement.

Input lag test results on the 52A750

"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
post #208 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yeah, unfortunatly, this statement shows a bigger problem that is shared amoung most of not all manufacturer. They apparently don't care.

It's a little ironic too since Video Gaming has never been as mainstream as it is right now. Very few company actually cares about videogaming maybe beside Sharp and LG. Game mode for sony and samsung is just a marketing gimmic, just so they can say that have it in their TV so it doesn't get in a way of a possible sale.

Ignorance showed by TV expert is alarming. Just Yesterday, I was at my local futureshop and they had a Sony Rep showing Sony's latest new 3D TV. I started asking him question about input lag in videogames and he didn't had a clue of what I was talking about.

I ended up showing him youtube video of his own sony products (ex7, ex5) and showed him how bad they were. After this, he told me he would inquiry about it if Sony keeps stats on this but I don't have my hopes high, beside maybe engineers who actually worked on the TV, I think Sony, just like Samsung and many other TV manufacturer, don't have a clue of what it coming up.

In due time, they will "catch up" as more and more people start asking question about it. We, the gamers, are apparently still a rare breed.

Personally, I do NOT consider any TV review as complete with a proper stop watch input lag Test. a REAL reviewer will review the TV under ALL NORMAL USAGES that this TV could be used for and this included videogaming.
post #209 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

This statement right here is part of the problem. Why would a "reviewer" not care about this aspect of the tvs performance? I'm sorry but that's a completely moronic statement.

If you feel that strongly about it I think it would be a good idea for you start a poll/thread...YES, I would you like to see more reviews that speak to input lag or NO, input lag is not all important to me. It would let you know where the importance of input lag stands amongst forum members and maybe influence future methodology when it comes to testing displays. I'm in the, I care less camp, but I would be curious to know.
post #210 of 2897 Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Yeah, unfortunatly, this statement shows a bigger problem that is shared amoung most of not all manufacturer. They apparently don't care.

It's a little ironic too since Video Gaming has never been as mainstream as it is right now. Very few company actually cares about videogaming maybe beside Sharp and LG. Game mode for sony and samsung is just a marketing gimmic, just so they can say that have it in their TV so it doesn't get in a way of a possible sale.

Ignorance showed by TV expert is alarming. Just Yesterday, I was at my local futureshop and they had a Sony Rep showing Sony's latest new 3D TV. I started asking him question about input lag in videogames and he didn't had a clue of what I was talking about.

I ended up showing him youtube video of his own sony products (ex7, ex5) and showed him how bad they were. After this, he told me he would inquiry about it if Sony keeps stats on this but I don't have my hopes high, beside maybe engineers who actually worked on the TV, I think Sony, just like Samsung and many other TV manufacturer, don't have a clue of what it coming up.

In due time, they will "catch up" as more and more people start asking question about it. We, the gamers, are apparently still a rare breed.

Personally, I do NOT consider any TV review as complete with a proper stop watch input lag Test. a REAL reviewer will review the TV under ALL NORMAL USAGES that this TV could be used for and this included videogaming.

I agree with you. Especially with 3D as IMO gaming will be a key driver of content for 3D sets. Its a shame that game modes require so much of the processing to be defeated on these sets - you're almost buying two sets

As for Doug Blackburn's comments, I'm a little disappointed. Perhaps he worded it badly, but 'I'm not interested' shouldn't come into it. If he means 'my readers aren't interested in it' then thats fine.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page