Official Sony XBR HX909 owners' thread (52HX909, 46HX909, HX9, HX900) - Page 87 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2581 of 2897 Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam008 View Post

Folks

I'm assuming I'm not going to get a complete bias-free response on this forum but I'm comparing this TV to the Samsung 46D8000 and have gone about 5 times back and forth over the past 2 days

What scares me most is the numerous issues that owners are complaining about on the forums - dead pixels, bad bezels and many of them are returning them or changing the panels. I don't know if the mfr replaces with new or refurbished panels

Having said that, can someone tell me if most HX909's sold there are comparatively issue-free vs the D8000? I'm most drawn to the D8000 because of the Smart TV features but may just make the decision to go with the HX909 and supplement with Google TV

Also, does the overall 2D PQ better on the HX909 since it's local array dimming vs Samsung's compromise of micro local dimming?

IMO the HX909 is VASTLY superior to the D8000. Im not being biased, just very honest. The full local dimming on this set is leagues above the micro dimming gimmick crap i saw on the D8000.

As for build quality, this TV is built like a TANK. Its the best build quality i've ever seen for an LCD. Better than the XBR8, and much better build quality than the new $4k HX929 (but for PQ the 929 is a little better).

I would not think twice, grab the 909.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2897 Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

Thanks to those who have responded to my post, above. Unfortunately, my main questions remain unanswered, so perhaps I can re-post them in a more condensed version:

1. Is it stupid to buy a display model HX929 from Fry's? Is it stupid to spend $1,000 + on an LED TV that has been on for approximately 12 hours a day for the past 6 months? That's a little over 4,000 hours. I don't know if it's a deal too good to pass up or a tempting but foolish move...

2. I got this cosmetically perfect display set for $949 plus $159 for a two year Fry's service plan. Does the price I paid for the TV itself ($949) justify buying the display model, assuming it's in otherwise like-new condition? I'd love a new one in the box, but the cheapest I've seen it was the Tiger Direct offer (now out of stock) and that was something like $1,100 or $1,200 before tax and shipping, with no service plan...

3. Is it a good idea to buy the 2-year warrantee (Fry's in-home service vs. Sony's 1-year send-it-in plan), given that it's a display model? Is it a total scam??

I would GREATLY appreciate any and all feedback and advice I can get.

Many thanks!

1. No it is NOT stupid to buy a display model. This tv uses LED's, it will last much longer then you would expect, I am sure before it dies you will have upgraded tv's anyway. I bought a 52hx909 display model, and it was in mint condition. How many hrs on it doesnt matter, this isnt a tv that ages picture quality wise over time.

2. If you buy from Tiger direct, your going to get the same tv for more $, it will look the same as what you have now, if that makes you feel better knowing you got it new then go ahead, otherwise enjoy saving the $.

3. NO, the Xbr's come with a 18 month warranty, you should have got the card with the owners manual, register the tv at Sony.com and dont worry about any extended warranty. if the tv was going to have a problem it would have happened earlier in its lifespan. If you can I would get the $ back from the warranty and go buy some blu rays to enjoy on your new tv

Also, you say your OCD about tv's, I can sympathize with you on that as I am OCD about them too. I have owned alot of tvs since joining AVS in 03, and I can confidently say the 909 is overall my fav tv I have owned. That is saying alot! Just sit back and enjoy it, don't go looking for things wrong with it!!! I find the 909 is even better then the 929 overall IMHO.
post #2583 of 2897 Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM

I agree with my fellow HX909 members the Sony is superior when it comes to build quality and PQ over the Samsung. I would go as far as saying the 909 is a bit better than the 929. Members over at the 929 thread are dealing with a crease issue on their sets
post #2584 of 2897 Old 07-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxrmero View Post

I agree with my fellow HX909 members the Sony is superior when it comes to build quality and PQ over the Samsung. I would go as far as saying the 909 is a bit better than the 929. Members over at the 929 thread are dealing with a crease issue on their sets

Its just a temporary problem which Sony is already fixing in all the newer models.
post #2585 of 2897 Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeres8860 View Post

hi,

I'm in the market for a new tv and am considering the 909. my question is this:

would you buy a 909 over a 2011 edge lit model? are you happy with your 909?

I would really appreciate your input.

thanks,

Yes, without hesitation and yes very happy.
post #2586 of 2897 Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM

just got my replacement hx909 after the first unit was slightly damaged during shipping. just wanted to to chime in and see if anyone experiences some horizontal reflections during upward and downward panning? i don't know if this is due to the dynamic contrast dimming zones or if its something to do with the glass? its also noticeable on the ice while watching hockey... is this just the normal behavior of the dimming zones?

also for those who'd like to know, i was able to witness the "creasing" effect of the hx929 at Sony Style store and it was extremely distracting...
post #2587 of 2897 Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM

FYI - As I mentioned in my previous posts, above, a few days ago I purchased an XBR46HX909 at Fry's in Manhattan Beach, CA. It was a display unit - the last one they had. I paid $949 plus tax, plus a 2-year warranty for $159, since Sony's waranty may or may not cover an open-box item. The TV appears to be in perfect cosmetic condition, and it seems to be working perfectly, as well.

Yesterday, I found a brand new one at the Fry's in Anaheim. It was $250 more, but I'm leaning towards keeping the brand new one, given my OCD. Rather than lugging the first one back to Fry's (90 lbs.) I was wondering if anyone here who lives locally would be interested in it. I haven't posted an official ad for it yet (which I will) since I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it or not, but I thought I'd put the word out first, to see if anyone here would even be interested in it. Seems this TV is becoming near impossible to find locally - I called almost every Fry's in Southern California before finding one in the box.

Feel free to post here or send me a private message. If It seems that there's some interest, and I decide to sell it, I'll post an official ad here in the appropriate forum.

John
post #2588 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass462 View Post

just got my replacement hx909 after the first unit was slightly damaged during shipping. just wanted to to chime in and see if anyone experiences some horizontal reflections during upward and downward panning? i don't know if this is due to the dynamic contrast dimming zones or if its something to do with the glass? its also noticeable on the ice while watching hockey... is this just the normal behavior of the dimming zones?

also for those who'd like to know, i was able to witness the "creasing" effect of the hx929 at Sony Style store and it was extremely distracting...

Hello,

I'm French ... I have the HX900.
It's DSE (Dirty screen effect) that is present on all slabs (sports / video games).
Blackvette94 confirmed to me that the HX929 was reached more than 909.
He is sensitive to this phenomenon. This does not make me regret my purchase.
I believe our word for he has tested two HX929 ... but I confess that it is very disturbing when one is not accustomed.
post #2589 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i notice this "creasing" when playing video games...when panning horizotally is there a fix? it pretty minor but i notice it when there is a solid background on screen.....i never notice it when there is a detailed background....

hope there is a fix.... i didnt call sony yet its a month old the tv and i figure maybe it needs a "break in period"
post #2590 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemi View Post

Hello,

I'm French ... I have the HX900.
It's DSE (Dirty screen effect) that is present on all slabs (sports / video games).
Blackvette94 confirmed to me that the HX929 was reached more than 909.
He is sensitive to this phenomenon. This does not make me regret my purchase.
I believe our word for he has tested two HX929 ... but I confess that it is very disturbing when one is not accustomed.

yes this dirty screen effect!!! is there a fix i find it bothersome.....my samsung 8000 had it worse though thats why i returned it and got the 909....
post #2591 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Hi all!

I plan to reassure all users of the HX909

I tested this afternoon, in a specialty store, the 52HX909 and the 55HX929.
I connected a PS3 and a scrolling slideshow of JPEGs pale yellow.
It has the same DSE and a little horizontal banding.
But the 929 has vertical banding of very visible
The seller was shocked ... he checked another 929 and get the same effect.
The uniformity of the panel HX929 is shameful!

I get my 55HX909 Friday without regrets.
post #2592 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemi View Post

Hi all!

I plan to reassure all users of the HX909

I tested this afternoon, in a specialty store, the 52HX909 and the 55HX929.
I connected a PS3 and a scrolling slideshow of JPEGs pale yellow.
It has the same DSE and a little horizontal banding.
But the 929 has vertical banding of very visible
The seller was shocked ... he checked another 929 and get the same effect.
The uniformity of the panel HX929 is shameful!

I get my 55HX909 Friday without regrets.

Do you mean your getting the 52hx909??

Also, as I had told you and said on here, the 929 uniformity is worse the 909. No way around this, the 909 isnt perfect as far as uniformity but it is alot better then the 929 IMHO. I too checked both screens out, and the 909 has an ever so slight vertical bands, about three of them in the middle of the screen going the whole length of the panel( top to bottom) and can only be seen on vertical pans. I can't see them on up and down pans. On the 929 I saw it on both left and right and up and down pans. It was alot worse.

If your sensitive to uniformity/DSE (which I consider the same) then the 909 is much better then the 929 for that.

Chemi, So you were happy with the uniformity on the 909 vs the 929? I dont see anything on up and down pans but I can see uneveness/banding on vertical ( left and right pans). Is this the same you saw on the 909?
post #2593 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan007 View Post

yes this dirty screen effect!!! is there a fix i find it bothersome.....my samsung 8000 had it worse though thats why i returned it and got the 909....

Sadly there is no fix for DSE/uniformity issues on lcds. I find the local backlight leds have less then the edge lit tv's. I also am very sensitive to DSE/uniformity issues. I have had 4 Kuros, still own one now, and theose tvs had no issues with uniformity, but the screen looked dirty, especially on pans up and down or left and right. This dirtiness could not bee seen on static images. I feel the DSE was caused by the AR filter being applied or the wiping of the screen before it was applied.

Anyway, all lcds have uneveness, its just the nature of the tech as each pixel is not individually driven. If it makes you feel any better, I had for awhile the LG 15 inch OLED tv, and it too was not perfect with uniformity. I dont feel any display really is, just some are less noticable then others. Playing videogames really shows this downfall moreso then tv or movies.
post #2594 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 AM

thanks for the info Blackvette94 and dan007 (i'm from montreal too!) what's funny is that before my 46hx909 with the dent was replaced i had weaker prescription glasses and perhaps it seemed to me that this effect was less apparent. Last week i got the replacement unit as well as a new prescription and so i wondered if it was always that apparent on the previous set but i just didn't as prominent. I also kept thinking that Sony Style kept sending me defective units...

I played around with the dynamic contrast setting last night, switching from standard to low seemed to help a little, but i don't want to lose the extra depth so i might switch back...as was described, it looks like three vertical lines in the center of the screen during upward and downward pans, i find it's also more apparent on video based content than film. Sucks because i enjoy watching Mega Builders on Discovery HD and it's pretty much all vertical pans of giant structures. The effect is no existent on static images.
post #2595 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
Sadly there is no fix for DSE/uniformity issues on lcds. I find the local backlight leds have less then the edge lit tv's. I also am very sensitive to DSE/uniformity issues. I have had 4 Kuros, still own one now, and theose tvs had no issues with uniformity, but the screen looked dirty, especially on pans up and down or left and right. This dirtiness could not bee seen on static images. I feel the DSE was caused by the AR filter being applied or the wiping of the screen before it was applied.

Anyway, all lcds have uneveness, its just the nature of the tech as each pixel is not individually driven. If it makes you feel any better, I had for awhile the LG 15 inch OLED tv, and it too was not perfect with uniformity. I dont feel any display really is, just some are less noticable then others. Playing videogames really shows this downfall moreso then tv or movies.
Thanks for explaining things....I was about to go out and buy another hdmi cable thinking that it was caused buy my 4 year old hdmi....It really is mostly noticeable when playing games that have night scenes.....if its a bright scene i hardly notice it..... blu ray i dont really notice it at all....

not sure if this makes sence but it seems the DSE gets better atfter the tv has been on for a while....
post #2596 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info Blackvette94 and dan007 (i'm from montreal too!) what's funny is that before my 46hx909 with the dent was replaced i had weaker prescription glasses and perhaps it seemed to me that this effect was less apparent. Last week i got the replacement unit as well as a new prescription and so i wondered if it was always that apparent on the previous set but i just didn't as prominent. I also kept thinking that Sony Style kept sending me defective units...

I played around with the dynamic contrast setting last night, switching from standard to low seemed to help a little, but i don't want to lose the extra depth so i might switch back...as was described, it looks like three vertical lines in the center of the screen during upward and downward pans, i find it's also more apparent on video based content than film. Sucks because i enjoy watching Mega Builders on Discovery HD and it's pretty much all vertical pans of giant structures. The effect is no existent on static images.
It seems that all sets have this issue....honestly the 909 has it good....trust me I had a samsung d8000 and it looked terrible there was also some flashlighting on the 8000 so I returned it...got another d8000 and it was even worse! so I went with sony and wow the 909 looks amazing when calibrated
post #2597 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
It seems that all sets have this issue....honestly the 909 has it good....trust me I had a samsung d8000 and it looked terrible there was also some flashlighting on the 8000 so a returned it...got another d8000 and it was even worse! so I went with sony and wow the 909 looks amazing when calibrated
i would love to see your settings mate

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #2598 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Do you mean your getting the 52hx909??

Also, as I had told you and said on here, the 929 uniformity is worse the 909. No way around this, the 909 isnt perfect as far as uniformity but it is alot better then the 929 IMHO. I too checked both screens out, and the 909 has an ever so slight vertical bands, about three of them in the middle of the screen going the whole length of the panel( top to bottom) and can only be seen on vertical pans. I can't see them on up and down pans. On the 929 I saw it on both left and right and up and down pans. It was alot worse.

If your sensitive to uniformity/DSE (which I consider the same) then the 909 is much better then the 929 for that.

Chemi, So you were happy with the uniformity on the 909 vs the 929? I dont see anything on up and down pans but I can see uneveness/banding on vertical ( left and right pans). Is this the same you saw on the 909?
Indeed, I have the same symptoms on my HX909.
A friend also has a light vertical stripes.
He was also concerned ... but now it is reassuring since we know that the 929 is worse.
We feel less alone now
post #2599 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post
i would love to see your settings mate
I will post them when I get back from work later.....I actually have different settings for watching movies(blu ray), games and television....

the only thing I am still working on is the white level....I have a few calibrated settings that i am trying out.....
post #2600 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I will post them when I get back from work later.....I actually have different settings for watching movies(blu ray), games and television....

the only thing I am still working on is the white level....I have a few calibrated settings that i am trying out.....

would love to see those settings as well. i have mine according the Doug Blackburn's (i believe his name is) settings from the settings thread. any tweaks to reduce DSE would be sweet!
post #2601 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:

How does the OLED LG stack up to your 909?
post #2602 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 05:20 PM

I know there are many threads having to do with cleaning screens, but I thought I'd ask those of you who have the same model as I do: XBRxxHX909. The guys at Fry's recommended the Monster screen cleaner:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-CLNKIT...0594602&sr=8-1

However, the more I read, the less I trust the stuff and the more confused I become. Is this stuff safe? Does it leave streaks? Is it better to just use distilled water? If so, am I supposed to mix the distilled water with anything? I've read that it's best to mix distilled water with Isopropyl alcohol; I've read NEVER to use alcohol of any kind. I don't know if the screen on the Sony has a specific type of coating that would determine the best means of cleaning it, so any advice I can get from fellow 909 owners would be most appreciated.
post #2603 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

I know there are many threads having to do with cleaning screens, but I thought I'd ask those of you who have the same model as I do: XBRxxHX909. The guys at Fry's recommended the Monster screen cleaner:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-CLNKIT...0594602&sr=8-1

However, the more I read, the less I trust the stuff and the more confused I become. Is this stuff safe? Does it leave streaks? Is it better to just use distilled water? If so, am I supposed to mix the distilled water with anything? I've read that it's best to mix distilled water with Isopropyl alcohol; I've read NEVER to use alcohol of any kind. I don't know if the screen on the Sony has a specific type of coating that would determine the best means of cleaning it, so any advice I can get from fellow 909 owners would be most appreciated.

I use distilled water ONLY and a microfiber cloth that i keep in a plastic bag and use only on the tv and no other surfaces. Small circular motions and flip the cloth to buff and that's it. I just make sure to use the 'don't touch the tv' statement as often as i can as a preventative measure For general dust removal, a can of compressed air sprayed parallel to the panel works great, just don't get too close or your likely to freeze the panel which im sure would cause some kind of problem.
post #2604 of 2897 Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 PM

I dont see much of a difference in uniformity between the 909/929. I think it really depends on what panel you get for each one, because they are not ALL the same for uniformity. Every panel is different for uniformity and how much clouding it will have with local dimming disabled.

I would guess that one of the trade offs for the slimmer profile on the 929 is that they may have had to sacrifice a bit on uniformity.

The build quality on the 909 is better, but overall PQ is a little better on the 929. Ive said this a few times already.

If your on the fence to buy one its better to choose the 909 if its coming for much less dough. Simple as that guys.
post #2605 of 2897 Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGP99999 View Post

How does the OLED LG stack up to your 909?

The LG Oled had blacks like the 909 without the blooming. IF the 909 had no blooming, it would have been hard to tell between them. The first thing I thought when I used the 909 was .. WOW... it looks like the Oled BUT the 909 looks alot sharper and bigger obviously. The blur on the lg was pretty bad, I played alot of GT5 which for most of the time is 60fps and it blurred more then the 909 in game mode with motionflow off. The blur on the Oled kinda looked like phosphor lag.... The 909 with motionflow clear 1 on had superior motion handling over the Oled.

I think if people are bothered by blooming with the 909 and 929, when Oled comes in bigger sizes they will have less to complain about. Clearly because Oled is still sample and hold like LCD, they will need to do some type of interpolation to improve the motion handling. Also the Oled does have issues with image retention which surprised me a little.

Also the uniformity on the LG Oled was no better then a typical led backlight display, so even though each pixel was driven on its own, they were not all at the same luminance which caused the looked of not perfect uniformity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

I dont see much of a difference in uniformity between the 909/929. I think it really depends on what panel you get for each one, because they are not ALL the same for uniformity. Every panel is different for uniformity and how much clouding it will have with local dimming disabled.

I would guess that one of the trade offs for the slimmer profile on the 929 is that they may have had to sacrifice a bit on uniformity.

The build quality on the 909 is better, but overall PQ is a little better on the 929. Ive said this a few times already.

If your on the fence to buy one its better to choose the 909 if its coming for much less dough. Simple as that guys.

Hmm.. well you have both , do you play games on both? I think games shows the uniformity issues of ANY display more then anything else. Every lcd I have seen has issues with uniformity, especially with left to right pans as the vertical luminance doesn't spread evenly. If you took a game that goes left to right alot like say a racing game or FPS you will see the uniformity moreso. Of the two 929's I tested, the uniformity was worse then the 909 I have BUT that doesnt mean that other 909's could have worse uniformity because like you said its really a lottery as to what panel will show what.
post #2606 of 2897 Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Hey fellow 909 owners, look at what I just found.

http://mobile.twice.com/article/4709..._Streaming.php

Looking forward to checking this out tonight. More free 3D content from Sony is good news to me (even though I have mixed thoughts on the 909 3D).

I just got the 909 a few weeks ago, and hope to write my impressions later. Overall I am very pleased with the set.
post #2607 of 2897 Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

look foward to seeing them.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #2608 of 2897 Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 PM

I am looking for a cheap wireless adapter for my 909. Any suggestions?
post #2609 of 2897 Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
David Katzmaier at CNET thought the TV was tinged blue in dark areas, so I'm curious as to why he didn't adjust B-gain in his recommended white balance settings. He left it at zero (0). He did feel the need to turn down red (-4) and green (-1) in dark areas, so this puzzles me since he didn't mention that dark areas were overly red or green, but seems to go out of his way to mention that dark areas are tinged blue in many of his LCD TV reviews.

Anybody know what's up? Are the blue-tinged dark areas he's mentioning something only a finer, 10-point white balance could accurately correct for, and he felt the 2-point system was just too blunt?

Just curious what gives.
post #2610 of 2897 Old 07-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Here's a curious behavior that perhaps someone here can shed some light on:

I noticed last night that when I turn the set off and then back on quickly, sometimes it responds immediately (light turns green, set comes right back on) and, depending on how many seconds I wait, sometimes it responds immediately and other times it doesn't respond until I've clicked the power button on the remote five times or more. Sometimes there's a click sound after I power off/on, sometimes not; sometimes I get the Sony splash screen and sound, sometimes not. A few times the set even powered on, immediately shut off, and then turned itself back on! There doesn't seem to be any pattern here. I thought maybe the set had a bad switch, but I tried it on both my display unit and the one I bought new in the box and they both had similar issues. I also thought it might be the batteries in the remote, but the delay always occurs when powering the TV on, never off. Any thoughts?

FYI, the "quick start" option is set to off.

Many thanks,

John
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page