Official Sony XBR HX909 owners' thread (52HX909, 46HX909, HX9, HX900) - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 2897 Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post

You will see a very dramatic and noticeable improvement if you use a $99 AppleTV or a PS3 for Netflix. You're missing a lot of quality and ease of use.

Odd comment. I watch Netflix on my two Sony 52HX909 TV's as well as my two Sony BD players. Netflix looks and sounds the same on all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2897 Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I will start by saying that I have owned an 47le8500 and a 50vt20 this year prior to buying this set. The le8500 had a banding issue that was very distracting, but produced an excellent picture. The LG did have the ability to produce deep black, but that was totally lost because the local dimming method was very poor way to much blooming(halos around objects). I filed a complaint with LG for the le8500 and they gave me a refund so I saw the deal for this Sony and figured I would use it as a game room TV. It has been a month and the Sony hasn't left my home theater room. This television is the closest to my old Sony HD picture tube that I have seen as far as black performance. The image this TV is superior to both the vt20 and the le8500. The picture is so deep, perfect black really is really an asset that lets the image pop. Most sets these days just can't perform well in a dark room. The vt20 looks great if there is some ambient light, but the black depth is just too grey compared to the hx909. This set has only one picture short coming, but the blooming (halo around bright objects on dark background) are very minimal compared to the LE8500 I used to own.

The Panasonic I got as a closeout deal at Best Buy and it has very solid performance as will most plasmas. I just feel that local dimming LED's have surpassed the plasma technology. The Pioneer Kuro still praised as the best sets ever made the Panasonic implemented some of pioneers tech, but the depth of black is still not even close. I was perfectly happy with the vt20 it is also a great set. Comparing to a plasma this TV beats it almost every way, I would give the edge to plasma in shadow detail not that the hx909 is terrible, but it does tend to crush near black material some. My jaw has been dropping watching Planet Earth Bluray and Battle Los Angeles and Avatar 3d were spectacular. I have also watched the Star Wars movies all 6 episodes and wow. The local dimming works wonderful on this set the star fields and space scenes are perfect. During Star Wars bright planets and stars against the pure black of space is just awesome visual experience.

For games the set is also a solid performer. I have noticed purple streaking around characters and game objects in game mode, it is strange because it comes and goes randomly. In game mode with local dimming activated I have not had any lag issues and there is no discernable difference between this set and my vt20. I would definitely recommend this set and I have been researching the hx929 and I am interested in getting a 55" one of those when they come down in price. From the owner of 3 top tier 2010 TV's this is the best. The hx909 is my favorite set since my CRT.
post #2793 of 2897 Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

Hi all -

Is there any difference, or are there any pros/cons, between having a wireless connection to the HX909 via the Sony USB device, as opposed to a "wired" connection via ethernet cable between the TV and an Apple AirPort Express, which, in itself, is receiving IT'S connection to my router wirelessly, since my router is in a different room? In this case, they are both "wireless" connections in terms of speed, but one is using the ethernet port and the TV sees it as a wired connection...

Many thanks

Anybody? Could really use some help with this one... Thanks.
post #2794 of 2897 Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I've never owned a plasma TV and I'd love to hear, from the perspective of HX909 owners, the pros/cons of our set vs. a set like the Samsung D8000, which is so highly rated, has great viewing angles, inky-deep blacks, no blooming or backlight bleeding, etc. I have a chance to get a great deal on one, so I'd love some critical feedback. in addition to just positive feedback from D8000 owners.

Many thanks!

Hi all - again, I'd REALY appreciate some input and experience/opinions here from xx909 owners. Many of you have experience with both plasma - perhaps even the Samsung D8000 I'm looking at - and local dimming LED technology and have opted for the xx909. Your input as to why would be very valuable to me.

Again, thank you.
post #2795 of 2897 Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uubji View Post

For games the set is also a solid performer. I have noticed purple streaking around characters and game objects in game mode, it is strange because it comes and goes randomly.

I noticed this same issue just yesterday. I tried adjusting all kinds of settings and I finally resolved it by notching the B-Bias in game mode up to +4 or +5. Seemed to fix things for me.
post #2796 of 2897 Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
In game mode I use led dimming set to standard. I found increasing the brightness from 50 to 51 nearly eliminated the purple streaking effect entirely.
post #2797 of 2897 Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Odd comment. I watch Netflix on my two Sony 52HX909 TV's as well as my two Sony BD players. Netflix looks and sounds the same on all of them.

I stand by my comment with certainty. Blu-ray players often have fairly slow CPU's. But I will re-test, to see if any firmware differences have changed things. When I last tried Netflix on my 909, it looked absolutely horrible -- the image was obviously lower resolution and very blocky, compared to the crisp video from the PS3. Additionally, the TV did not allow me to browse titles on Netflix, I had to select movies on my PC to make them available foe viewing. With the PS3 and AppleTV, I can browse movies on the TV.

My old PS3 recently died and I finally replaced it with the PS3 "Slim," which has CEC BraviaLink support. It works very well with the HX909 television.
post #2798 of 2897 Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:

Hi all -

Is there any difference, or are there any pros/cons, between having a wireless connection to the HX909 via the Sony USB device, as opposed to a "wired" connection via ethernet cable between the TV and an Apple AirPort Express, which, in itself, is receiving IT'S connection to my router wirelessly, since my router is in a different room? In this case, they are both "wireless" connections in terms of speed, but one is using the ethernet port and the TV sees it as a wired connection.

No, the AirPort Express route seems better, especially if both options cost $100. The Sony USB stick can't do anything else. Airport Express can also play music from any iPod or iPhone, and you can use it with another TV or computer if you want. I take my AirPort with me when I travel, and I use it to create a WiFi hotspot in hotel rooms that have only Ethernet.
post #2799 of 2897 Old 10-09-2011, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've been looking at these models as well as others, just curious to know if the sony logo can be turned off? I had read that it lights up.
post #2800 of 2897 Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

I've been looking at these models as well as others, just curious to know if the sony logo can be turned off? I had read that it lights up.

There is a setting that controls its behavior. In the "off" configuration, the logo will only glow when the TV is in the process of powering up.
post #2801 of 2897 Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanator View Post

There is a setting that controls its behavior. In the "off" configuration, the logo will only glow when the TV is in the process of powering up.

Thank you, kind sir!
post #2802 of 2897 Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

If it is an issue (blooming, off-angle viewing), buy a Plasma (but they have far bigger problems elsewhere, in my opinion) or wait until we finally have a real CRT replacement, which might happen around 2015 if OLED finally comes out in larger sizes at somewhat affordable prices. Everything you buy today is a compromise in several areas of performance, you just have to pick what compromises you're OK with.

Thanks - can you tell me what the "far bigger problems" are that you are referring to when talking about plasma? I was looking at the Samsung 51-inch D8000 and it has great color accuracy and off-angle viewing (I could walk around the apartment while the TV was on and no matter where I was standing, it looked great). However, I did notice it was very quick to develop image burn-in (if only temporary) when watching letterbox movies and sports with static graphic boxes, like team names/scores, etc.). What are the other problems with plasma that lead so many here to fully back-lit LED?

Thanks!
post #2803 of 2897 Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Well i just pulled the trigger and ordered a 52" at sony store online the only thing is that its refurbished it was in my budget range paid $1500 with tax,free shipping hope i did good what you guys think? i was almost going to buy a 46" but with more resarch 46 vs 52 i came to the forums and i was really unsure what size to get but i was reading all the comments about how they wished they got bigger and in time the Tv shrinks,so i wanted to futureproof my self and buy the bigger set so when i buy my house in 1 year ill put it on my living room
post #2804 of 2897 Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 PM

I think for me a 65 would have been nicer.... Can't go wrong with a 52, but 46 is a bit too small for me.... But meh I got a deal on it.... It really depends on how far you are sitting from the tv... I sit about 10' away and 46 looks small, its all personal preference.
post #2805 of 2897 Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM

I was watching "Hardball" on MSNBC and couldn't tell if Chris Matthew's jacket was black or dark blue. I then watched it on a Samsung Plasma D8000 and, sure enough his jacket was "inky" black. So, yes, the HX909 can make the blacks look dark blue, as noted in the CNET review.

Does anyone know which settings or combination of settings might contribute to this and how to minimize this issue?

Also, I keep wanting to boost "contrast" on this set, as it looks kind of washed out, but "picture" is already at "max" backlight is usually around 4 and brightness is at 45. Is there anyway other way to boost contrast without the enhanced contrast advanced setting, which I don't care for?

Thanks,

John
post #2806 of 2897 Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post

I think for me a 65 would have been nicer.... Can't go wrong with a 52, but 46 is a bit too small for me.... But meh I got a deal on it.... It really depends on how far you are sitting from the tv... I sit about 10' away and 46 looks small, its all personal preference.

Yea i sit around 10' but later it will be 12' so its good, like i said i was really close on getting a 46 for a really good deal but spend $400 more for the bigger set i think its worth the money, im pretty sure when i get my 52 and in 1 or 2 months its going to shrink on me lol but im coming from a 27' sony trinitron when i bought it 10 years ago and its still going strong never had problems with the 27' hope my xbr52hx909 wont either
post #2807 of 2897 Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino4980 View Post

Yea i sit around 10' but later it will be 12' so its good, like i said i was really close on getting a 46 for a really good deal but spend $400 more for the bigger set i think its worth the money, im pretty sure when i get my 52 and in 1 or 2 months its going to shrink on me lol but im coming from a 27' sony trinitron when i bought it 10 years ago and its still going strong never had problems with the 27' hope my xbr52hx909 wont either

I was coming from a 36" Panasonic CRT. God that thing was heavy. It blew up after like 4 years of use... A CRT for god sakes.... I have my 24" Sony CRT going strong for like 8 years now.... Oh wellz....
post #2808 of 2897 Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM

I have an issue that I haven't been able to resolve with my 52HX909. One of my devices (an iLink 9500 HD FTA receiver) connected via a Monoprice 4x4 HDMI switcher, will have the picture and sound cut in and out intermittently (blinking black screen). Some days are worse than others, but one thing I have noticed is that it doesn't do it as much when viewing the HD channels. This TV has replaced a Toshiba 52XV645U, which did not have this problem at all. Therefore I thought the issue was for sure with my 52HX909.

Then I considered trying different setups: the problem goes away when viewing my other devices connected to the 4x4 HDMI splitter: a PS3, a Dishnetwork HDPVR Receiver, etc. I figured therefore it could also be my HD FTA receiver that is causing the problem.

Then I tried taking out the 4x4 HDMI splitter and connected my HD FTA directly to the HX909, and the problem went away as well. So now I believe it could also be the 4x4 HDMI being the issue. All I know is that the 3 components together, cumulatively have an impact on the HDMI signal power/transmission to the TV.

My ideas:
1) The HX909 has a lower HDMI input power threshold, therefore my Toshiba was able to take the signal better than this HX909.

2) The HD FTA Receiver has a lower HDMI power output than my PS3 and Dishnetwork HDPVR.

3) The 4x4 HDMI Splitter sucks some of the signal power out of the setup. My two Samsungs and a Sony Projector (also connected to the 4x4 matrix) all do not have the problem.

What I've tried:
1) A standard Monoprice HDMI Equalizer/Repeater, placed in circuit next to the TV - Made NO Difference.

2) A premium (adapter powered) Monoprice HDMI Equalizer/Repeater, very slight improvement. The problem is still persistent.

3) Swapped for thicker (22AWG) HDMI cable. Made NO difference. (HDMI Cable run is only 25' to the HX909. The cable runs to my other TVs are 30', 75' and 100'. Those TVs do not have any issues.

There are two options I am considering, and would like your guys' opinion or if you have any better ideas:

1) Call a Sony tech (I'm still under warranty) and see if I have an abnormally "sensitive" HX909.

2) Try one of those HDMI Amplifiers (I heard they are different than the HDMI Equalizers I had tried).

Thanks for any input!
post #2809 of 2897 Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM

bbbbump
post #2810 of 2897 Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO81 View Post

bbbbump

Try running the output of the 4x4 switch to a different HDMI input on the Sony TV.
post #2811 of 2897 Old 10-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the thought! But same problem, no luck
post #2812 of 2897 Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Setting Memory: Common
Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 3
Picture: 73
Brightness: 46
Color: 53
Hue: R3
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 43
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG Noise Reduction: Auto
Motionflow: Clear 1
CineMotion: Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: R-Gain -5
G-Gain 0
B-Gain -4
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhance: Off

Ambient Sensor: Off

To me these settings seem very accurate for me. Let me know what you all think of them.
post #2813 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Just when I decided to keep my 46HX909, the issue of sudden reboots and on-screen menu lagging has re-emerged. Specifically, when I try to access and navigate the on-screen menus, they take forever to respond, then nothing happens, even though I'm pushing the arrow buttons and the green light on the TV is blinking. Then, without warning, even after I've stopped pushing the buttons on the remote, the menus zip across the screen.

This behavior, like the sudden reboots, occurred when I first got the TV a couple of months ago, and then stopped happening. I figured a firmware update fixed the issue. Still, to be safe, I had an authorized Sony technician take a look at the TV. They, in turn, contacted Sony, who recommended replacing the main board and the remote receiver board. Since the problem had subsided, I elected, at that time, to hold off on the repairs.

It looks like you got your set replaced, but I did just discover a related issue with my 52HX909 and I wanted to note it in here in case it will help anybody.

The past couple of weeks my TV had been acting a little funny. The volume control on the TV seemed to be unresponsive, when raising or lowering the volume I could only get it to raise or lower by repeatedly pressing the control, holding it would no longer work. This meant the remote control became essentially useless for raising and lowering the volume.

My receiver is controlled using HDMI-CEC, and it had been working fine for months-- but I did have some weird behavior before that I was able to fix by pulling the power/HDMI on the receiver, then plugging it all back in.

But the volume control was still unresponsive after the receiver had been unplugged-- and I realized there might be an issue with my remote control hardware, or ever worse, an issue with the TV like above.

Luckily, I found what was really causing the issue. Apparently when your remote control batteries are low, the volume control is the first thing that misbehaves. I replaced my batteries with a freshly charged pair and everything returned to normal.

Just a heads up for anybody still monitoring this thread. If your volume controls start acting strange, it's time to change the batteries in your remote.
post #2814 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxrmero View Post

Setting Memory: Common
Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 3
Picture: 73
Brightness: 46
Color: 53
Hue: R3
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 43
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG Noise Reduction: Auto
Motionflow: Clear 1
CineMotion: Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: R-Gain -5
G-Gain 0
B-Gain -4
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhance: Off

Ambient Sensor: Off

To me these settings seem very accurate for me. Let me know what you all think of them.

Tried them not bad but i think its a little dark i like your older settings better there more bright. Just my opinion, have you tried blackvette94 calibration on post # 2483 i guess those are proffesional calibrations
post #2815 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanator View Post

It looks like you got your set replaced, but I did just discover a related issue with my 52HX909 and I wanted to note it in here in case it will help anybody.

The past couple of weeks my TV had been acting a little funny. The volume control on the TV seemed to be unresponsive, when raising or lowering the volume I could only get it to raise or lower by repeatedly pressing the control, holding it would no longer work. This meant the remote control became essentially useless for raising and lowering the volume.

My receiver is controlled using HDMI-CEC, and it had been working fine for months-- but I did have some weird behavior before that I was able to fix by pulling the power/HDMI on the receiver, then plugging it all back in.

But the volume control was still unresponsive after the receiver had been unplugged-- and I realized there might be an issue with my remote control hardware, or ever worse, an issue with the TV like above.

Luckily, I found what was really causing the issue. Apparently when your remote control batteries are low, the volume control is the first thing that misbehaves. I replaced my batteries with a freshly charged pair and everything returned to normal.

Just a heads up for anybody still monitoring this thread. If your volume controls start acting strange, it's time to change the batteries in your remote.

Awsome man good to know, thanks for posting that
post #2816 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 01:16 PM

I did make one change and that was the Picture setting. I moved it from 73 to 77, not much but a bit of improvement in brightness.

Quote:

Tried them not bad but i think its a little dark i like your older settings better there more bright. Just my opinion, have you tried blackvette94 calibration on post # 2483 i guess those are proffesional calibrations

post #2817 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I did make one change and that was the Picture setting. I moved it from 73 to 77, not much but a bit of improvement in brightness.

Cool, so your more satifsfied with the new settings than your old?
post #2818 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM

I think so at least to me they seem more accurate

Quote:

Cool, so your more satifsfied with the new settings than your old?

post #2819 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Does anyone know what the last build date for the 46HX909 was?
post #2820 of 2897 Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I think so at least to me they seem more accurate

You know what i forgot to put it on cinema, it looks better, ill play with my settings a little. I got my sony last week and pluged everything in and i wasnt really impressed i was calibrating and still the picture wasnt impressive so 2 days ago i went to my cable company to change my 7 year old cable box and im telling you WOW what a difference now im more than impressed, the lady told me that i had the old outdated box so that did the trick. HD looks Beautiful and SD looks ok , so now i want to get the best calibration i could find to make it even better
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page