Official Sony XBR HX909 owners' thread (52HX909, 46HX909, HX9, HX900) - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 2897 Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm, how much would it cost to ship to California ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2897 Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM

Does anyone know of a place I can find out the protocol for the RS-232 port to control an HX909?

Thanks!

-Tom
post #2883 of 2897 Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 PM

I wrote (in http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259856/official-sony-xbr-hx909-owners-thread-52hx909-46hx909-hx9-hx900/2850#post_22591638 post #2866 in this thread):
Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone1 View Post

Has anyone else had a problem where Braviasync and ARC just quit working?

Has no one else encountered this problem?

As suggested earlier in this thread, I added a TOSLINK cable between the TV and the receiver, so now we can at least get audio again from sources that pass first through the TV. However, it is a bit of a pain because, unlike with ARC audio, we have to change the input selection on the receiver each time.

But the big annoyance is still the loss of Braviasync (CEC) control. We have to keep swapping remotes or change mode on the remote whenever we wish to adjust volume because the Bravia TV will no longer control the receiver. Also, we can no longer set up system power up/down behavior. (Back when Braviasync was still working, if we turned on a Bluray player, cable box , or game console, the TV would come on and also turn on the receiver. When we turned off the TV, the CEC features would power down the receiver and any BD players.)

I think it also doesn't play Bluray 3D content anymore; it no longer recognizes the PS3 as a 3D-capable device. (I'm not 100% sure on that; it has been a long time since I was testing it. I think 3D still worked when the TV streamed 3D content from the Sony network, but not when the content instead came from an HDMI source.)

Is there possibly some extra-special factory reset method (other than the "power up while pressing UP arrow" method)? Or some way to get it re-load all the firmware? It appears that either the firmware has become corrupted or the hardware itself is fried.
post #2884 of 2897 Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomUT View Post

Does anyone know of a place I can find out the protocol for the RS-232 port to control an HX909?

Thanks!

-Tom
A little late but you could try here:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=other&db=other&br=codes&dv=devicers232protocolsheets&md=sonytelevisionskdlxxxbr5&kw=&st=&ar=&dt=&so=&pg=2&file=rs232/sony-tv-kdlxbr5.zip

Those are for the XBR5 but most of the codes are probably the same though there may be additional ones for the HX909 that don't appear there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whetstone1 View Post

I wrote (in http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259856/official-sony-xbr-hx909-owners-thread-52hx909-46hx909-hx9-hx900/2850#post_22591638 post #2866 in this thread):
Has no one else encountered this problem?

As suggested earlier in this thread, I added a TOSLINK cable between the TV and the receiver, so now we can at least get audio again from sources that pass first through the TV. However, it is a bit of a pain because, unlike with ARC audio, we have to change the input selection on the receiver each time.

But the big annoyance is still the loss of Braviasync (CEC) control. We have to keep swapping remotes or change mode on the remote whenever we wish to adjust volume because the Bravia TV will no longer control the receiver. Also, we can no longer set up system power up/down behavior. (Back when Braviasync was still working, if we turned on a Bluray player, cable box , or game console, the TV would come on and also turn on the receiver. When we turned off the TV, the CEC features would power down the receiver and any BD players.)

I think it also doesn't play Bluray 3D content anymore; it no longer recognizes the PS3 as a 3D-capable device. (I'm not 100% sure on that; it has been a long time since I was testing it. I think 3D still worked when the TV streamed 3D content from the Sony network, but not when the content instead came from an HDMI source.)

Is there possibly some extra-special factory reset method (other than the "power up while pressing UP arrow" method)? Or some way to get it re-load all the firmware? It appears that either the firmware has become corrupted or the hardware itself is fried.
Sounds like there's a problem with your mainboard, where the HDMI CEC commands are probably handled. I doubt it's a software/firmware issue but you could try the USB firmware update method and see if it will try to reload the firmware like that. The mainboards for HX909s look like they go for about $100 on eBay so it's not too pricey if that's your problem.
post #2885 of 2897 Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks like not much activity on this thread anymore but seems like most people enjoy their HX909. I'm thinking of buying a used one, any owners think of a reason not to? Though there won't be any warranty or return policy of course so might as well ask these questions here first...

Is the Netflix really that bad on this TV? Not really going to use it much, would it be acceptable for occasional use? Is it true you can't browse Netflix titles on this model (as there ever updated firmware to be able to do that?). Given it's a few model years old, how do the other internet features compare to 2012+ Bravias (which aren't that great in that department anyway)?

Seems like this was one of the Sonys that needed the stupid Wi-Fi adapter for Wi-fi but that's okay because I have to run the cable from the other wall in the room anyway and I have ethernet there as well. IIRC back then they made the weirdo LX900 with the 3D and Wi-fi built in but that set was edgelit.

The 3D IR sync bar seems to be available cheaply these days (like $20 or so off eBay), so not too big a deal that it's not built-in. 3D crosstalk seems to be one of the gripes but I guess that's to be expected with a first gen 3D set. I doubt 3D would ever be used on it anyway.

Anything else I should know about?
post #2886 of 2897 Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM

Are you still looking for a stand? I have one that I'm not using that's taking up space in my house. There is a very slight cosmetic scratch on the back of the stand (looks like a fingernail scratch).
I'm in San Diego, CA.
post #2887 of 2897 Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 PM

Earlier today I was watching Amazon instant prime content on my TV. I left t to do a quick errand and left the TV on with the Amazon instant prime menu on the screen so that I could pick up where I left off when I got back. When I returned, my receiver was still on, but my TV was not. When I tried to turn it on, the front panel light went from red to green but nothing else happened - no lit-up Sony logo, no "chime" sound, etc. Then, after about 10 seconds, the green light went back to red. I've tried this several times and always get the same result. I tried unplugging the TV, I tried turning the master power toggle switch off and then back on and still no change. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and/or what I can do to get my TV to turn back on??

Also, I remember a long time ago reading somewhere that there is a way to reset the TV via a combination of the buttons on the side of the TV. For example, holding "power" AND "menu", etc. Now, I can't find that info anywhere. Does anyone know the sequence or combinations of buttons to push in order to reset the TV?

Many thanks!

John
post #2888 of 2897 Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Question to all of you fellow HX909 owners: If I wanted to sell this TV on craigslist, what is a fair price? It's 46 inch, in pristine condition, no scratches whatsoever, the stand is practically unused since I mounted it, it has the latest software update, and works perfectly. Any input would be appreciated.

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
post #2889 of 2897 Old 08-28-2013, 01:02 PM

In my area I saw the 52 inch hx909 for 1600 on craigslist. I've been thinking about selling mine too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
post #2890 of 2897 Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Do you have a 46 or 52"?

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
post #2891 of 2897 Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

Earlier today I was watching Amazon instant prime content on my TV. I left t to do a quick errand and left the TV on with the Amazon instant prime menu on the screen so that I could pick up where I left off when I got back. When I returned, my receiver was still on, but my TV was not. When I tried to turn it on, the front panel light went from red to green but nothing else happened - no lit-up Sony logo, no "chime" sound, etc. Then, after about 10 seconds, the green light went back to red. I've tried this several times and always get the same result. I tried unplugging the TV, I tried turning the master power toggle switch off and then back on and still no change. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and/or what I can do to get my TV to turn back on??

Also, I remember a long time ago reading somewhere that there is a way to reset the TV via a combination of the buttons on the side of the TV. For example, holding "power" AND "menu", etc. Now, I can't find that info anywhere. Does anyone know the sequence or combinations of buttons to push in order to reset the TV?

Many thanks!

John

Do you the latest firmware updated? According to Sony's site

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version 4.117) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version 4.114:
Improved performance and stability of the Internet features
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 4.117:
Improved stability for the initial/add scan for receiving digital channels.
Improves usability of the TV with 3D sources with updated function of the 3D button on the remote commander.
Improves performance and stability of IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) features.
Note: IPTV allows you to enjoy HD (High Definition) programming from the Internet on your BRAVIA television that is connected to a broadband Internet connection.
Adds support for future IPTV services.
Adds support for the Hulu™ online video service.
Note: The Hulu service is only available in the United States.
Adds support for 3D video using the Sony Entertainment Network services.
Installs an updated version of the on-screen i-Manual built into the BRAVIA television.
Resolves an issue where the television may unexpectedly power off and back on shortly after it is turned on.

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
post #2892 of 2897 Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM

I have the 52 inch

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
post #2893 of 2897 Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 PM

Can anyone answer if the google chromecast will jive with this series? [52hx909 here] I haven't seen a definitive answer as of yet.rolleyes.gif
And as usual, sony is high on something regarding their 'dongle' pricing.

Thanks in advance.
post #2894 of 2897 Old 12-26-2013, 11:07 PM

Liked: 11
how come my kdl900a 3d glasses won't work on my hx909?
post #2895 of 2897 Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM

I wrote (in http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259856/official-sony-xbr-hx909-owners-thread-52hx909-46hx909-hx9-hx900/2880#post_23181354 post 2883 in this thread) about problems with BraviaSync and ARC no longer working. I thought I should follow up on that in case anyone else is wondering whether I found resolution.

Well, I tried everything suggested (short of sending it in for after-warranty replacement of the boards) and anything else I could think of. Nothing helped. I gave up.

But a couple months after I last posted on this (and over a year since the problem began) it just started working again. So, I'm happy, but have no advice to any others who have encountered the problem.
post #2896 of 2897 Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey fellow HX909 owners.

I have a HX909 52 inch and I'm ready to move up to a bigger set. I am not going to buy a new XBR as they are just too expensive. I got a smoking deal at Brandsmart on my HX909 it was their last model. I think $1200 brand new.

My question is this. I'm looking at picking up a 65w850a or a 65w950b. Do you think I will be disappointed coming from the XBR?
post #2897 of 2897 Old 08-16-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Hey fellow HX909 owners.

I have a HX909 52 inch and I'm ready to move up to a bigger set. I am not going to buy a new XBR as they are just too expensive. I got a smoking deal at Brandsmart on my HX909 it was their last model. I think $1200 brand new.

My question is this. I'm looking at picking up a 65w850a or a 65w950b. Do you think I will be disappointed coming from the XBR?
Just a couple things to point out:
The 850a is last year's model. But it has active 3D so you'll get full res when watching 3D but glasses are more expensive and have to recharge. The 950B is this year's model. Looks like contrast might be higher on it. It has passive 3D so less expensive glasses and no charging but half the resolution.

They're both edge lit. The new edge lit TVs seem to be far and away better than older edge lit TVs. They don't seem to have the light bleeding like they used to.

I haven't seem the picture of them in person so I can't speak to this directly. But I can say, a few months ago, I got an XBR-55X850A. It's a 4k tv with active 3D. I love the tv with one exception. The color looks amazing if I'm sitting directly in front of the TV. If I'm off to the side, there is a ton of bronzing in skin tones. Again, only off to the sides, and not real far off to the sides.

If I were you, I'd go look at those TVs in person and watch for that. Because I know my HX-909 doesn't have that problem. I don't know if it has to do with being edge-lit or the triluminous display or something else. That's my single complaint with my 55X850A.

Aside from that, the 3D things I mentioned might make a difference in your opinion.

Good luck.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page