Hi all. Lots of talk, expectations, speculation about this unit. Let's put HX praise, reviews, gripes, observations, calibration settings, etc. in a thread here, away from the massive "2010 Bravia" thread.
So I just received my 52HX909, replacing a 60NX800 that I had for a month. The sticker says it was manufactured in June 2010. Minty fresh.
I have it in a very bright room with floor-to-ceiling windows. In my first couple of hours, I can make a few positive observations:
1. Reflections are significantly darker and less distracting than the NX series
2. Reflections are not doubled as they are in the NX series (due to Opticontrast resin)
3. Off-axis viewing is better than the NX series
Non PQ observations:
1. I can see ribbon connectors through the top of the chassis in the back, likely feeding the matrix or columns of backlighting. Through the same grille in the back, I can also see several columns of white LEDs themselves.
2. The power cord is surprisingly thin, compared to the NX cord and has a non-polarized "electric razor" style end as opposed to the appliance or computer PSU style end.
3. I'm not hearing the plastic warm-up cool-down cracking (yet?) as I did on the NX. It never actually bothered me on the NX, but I see some people here talking about it.
4. The stand swivels (unlike the 60NX800). I suppose it will fit in a slotted metal Sony Bunchin stand (I've seen photos) but SonyStyle isn't currently saying so explicitly.
Not news to anyone following this TV's release but the first real English review appears to be CNET:http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33943224.html