..I wholeheartedly agree with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(Please refer to posts #146,147,149 for more info)

Well, I have updated my Samsung 55" Smart TV UN55ES6100FXZA to firmware 001031, and I am very pleased with the results. The update has drastic improvements on the smoothness of the display while watching cable broadcasts. Below is my "new" changes to my settings, I still have the "wi-fi" and "smarthub" disabled. But I noticed it is still bloody hell trying to watch BBC's "Nightmare Kitchen", it is still very jittery, I think it is the show itself because "Top Gear" shows just fine.

Film Mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off (for those whom enjoys this mode, I noticed the "Standard" setting works very well)

Thank You Samsung!

EDIT: (Aug. 16, 2013) Please read my new post #156 regarding new firmware 001043.
post #153 of 157 Old 08-10-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I have had a UN60D6420 for over 2 years and have always had AMP set to Clear. I prefer to have my Denon X2000 do all video processing from my two sources, which are a DirecTv HR34 HD DVR and a Sony BDP-S5100 BD player. I have the BD player set to output the native resolution on the disc, and I have 24p output set to off because it causes unpredictable lip-sync issues on my set up. I have been generally happy with the Clear AMP setting, but have always hated the ghosting of balls in football (the great american kind) baseball, golf and the puck in hockey. Any setting other than Off is un-watchable for me due to the various reasons that have been discussed in depth already in this thread.

I decided to try some testing using my Spears & Munsil 2 disc to see if there are any differences between Clear & Off and the results surprised me. I used the video test that has 2 wedge shaped images made up of white lines, with the wedge on the left oriented vertically and the wedge on the right oriented horizontally and they move around the screen in a clockwise direction, and they do so in various cadences.

With AMP set to Clear, there were varying amounts of artifacts with some I would call severe, in the wedges depending on the cadence, but when I set AMP to Off, the artifacts lessened by a large degree on each and every test regardless of the cadence. The artifacts were mainly flickering or flashing and were easily seen. Selecting any setting other than OFF (Clear, Standard, Smooth, Custom) produced the artifacts, with some settings better than others depending on the cadence, but all were worse than Off...............So based on this test I have been using Off for the last few weeks, and will do so from now on. The pros of AMP simply don't out weigh all of the negatives it produces.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #154 of 157 Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have my set on Clear & was watching a program which a model train moving down the track & it did not look smooth at all. I changed AMP to Smooth & then the train ran nice & smooth. I guess depending on content one might want to use different AMP settings.
post #155 of 157 Old 08-10-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Agreed. I was watching Saving Private Ryan on BD, and custom 8/3 looked great to me, but that same setting on a MLB game was awful. Hitching, jerking and over crapism is what I saw. I had to switch to either Off or Clear.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #156 of 157 Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(Please refer to my earlier posts #146,147,149,152 for more info)

I just updated both of my tv's (UN55ES6100 & UN46ES6100) with the latest firmware 001043, and my experience with both tv's while watching cable broadcasts has been very positive. I noticed the overall picture quality and smoothness of motion has been nicely improved. Even the tv show Nightmare Kitchen is much more watchable because it is much smoother in picture quality, but now noticed have some ghosting.

Below are my "new" setting changes on both tv's that seems to work well with this new update. Please note that after "all" the updates has been made, I still have the "wifi" and "smarthub" disabled (please refer to post #146).

Picture Settings -
Backlight: 09 or 10 (I prefer 09)
Contrast: 75

Advanced Settings -
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Space: Native

Picture Options -
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
Auto Motion Plis: Off (for those whom enjoys this mode, I noticed "Clear", "Standard", "Smooth" all works very well.)
post #157 of 157 Old 10-26-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I had a 60" 7150 & returned it thinking there was something wrong with the AMP as only OFF & Clear produced no judder/jerkyness...
So i picked up my new 65 7150 & have the same issues..Clearly this is a 7150 issue or a Samsung TV issue...so what is the fix?

I have a Samsung 65' 7150 and give up on trying different settings on 'Auto Motion Plus' without any success on the jerkiness or jittery issue except for the 'Clear' setting.
So I am wondering:
1. Do any of the other brands (Sharp, Sony, LG,etc.) have similar issues with their motion enhancement?
2. What else can I do, turn off/on or different settings that will help give the 'Clear 'setting more depth or real looking?
3. It looks good, but could it look better?

It has a judder, jerkiness or Shuddering in the motion from time to time, but not on everything, only on certain shows like TOP CHEF or Chopped...
What I have noticed is when I replay the scene with the AMP set on 'Clear' it doesn't judder, jerkiness or Shuddering.
I know the simple solution is to leave on 'Clear' when I watch regular TV, but I like how 'Standard' gives a more depth or real look.
I would like to set it to have a little bit more of that look in the 'Clear' mode or set the custom mode to have that look without this problem.
The 60fps makes sense and I know that not all shows are filmed in 60fps or all channels broadcast the same and my guess is that this is at the root of the problem.

But why doesn't the 'Clear' mode do it? and is there any way I can set it have more depth or real look.
Or setting to make the 'Custom' not have this problem.
Watching Sports has been hell, instant replays have all had judder on Anything other than OFF/CLEAR
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page