Samsung Auto Motion Plus not HD Compatible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I just bought a Samsung LN40C610N1F, which overall I love, but I can't determine if the TV is deffective, or if the Auto Motion Plus (AMP) feature is flawed by design. I've been reading a bunch of threads, and it seems like a lot of people have complaints regarding the AMP feature.

When I watch a low def source such as TV, Auto Motion Plus does a great job of making scrolling text and camera panning smooth as butter.

But when I watch an HD movie at 1080P (or 1080i) off my xbox via eaither component or HDMI, I get 3-10 seconds of ultra smooth scrolling/panning, then it stutters for a second, then it's smooth again for 3-10 seconds, then it stutters again, etc. In fast paced scenes, it stutters so badly that it looks like someone is bouncing the camera around. I tried watching a regular DVD off the xbox as well, and it stutters too (I'm assuming because xbox upconverts to 1080P).

I called Samsung support, and the guys said it shouldn't do that, but reading the forums, it seems like this happens for everyone.

So my question is, is my TV deffective, or is the AMP processor in it just too slow to cope with 1080P?

When I turn AMP off, the stuttering goes away, but the text scrolling and camera panning aren't as smooth & clear. Since I bought the TV based on the smoothness of the AMP demo (which seemed to be HD), I expect it to work properly.

Can anyone clarify if this is a physical defect with the TV, or just a design flaw (i.e. AMP processor too slow)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Ever since I purchased my new TV I have wondered the same. My old LCD did not have AMP. From what I have read your experiences are common and I guess somewhat normal. I use the custom setting and set my blur to 10 and judder to 3 and it is seems to be a happy medium point. I found the below explanation from another thread - It is a recent post. It is perhaps one of the better explanations I have found on the matter and seems to hit most of the points exactly.

Originally Posted by uw99
I know the issue has been brought up several times in this thread, but I'm not sure there has been a definitive resolution at this point, so I thought I would resurface the issue. I recently purchased UN55C6400...very happy with the picture and like the "look" Auto Motion Plus provides. That said, whenever I have it turned on at any level (I prefer standard), the picture is almost unwatchable due to extensive shaking and skipping of frames. Is this normal? Is there anyway to remedy this or is it a possible issue with the television? I was under the impression this would make the picture "smoother"...I realize I could turn it off, but really do like the picture more so with it on--as somebody appropriate said, the "live" feeling it provides. Any suggestions, tweaks, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

So far, from what I've seen directly with my setup, using very new drives to read the movie media (and my HD for a couple of the DVD rips I did from my own collection), this is what to expect/use:

DVDs

Use AMP set to Clear. You won't get as much "soap opera camera" effect, but the picture will almost never stutter. Standard and Smooth stutter like crazy. The reason is mentioned further down.

TV/STB/SAT

AMP can be used in any mode with minimal stutter (if any). Best used for sports programs, with the exception being soccer, as the ball becomes a VERY blurry blob on Smooth.

Blu-Ray Discs

AMP can be set to Smooth in most circumstances and will give you a very good result with some exceptions, which are listed with the reason for stutter below.

The reason for the Stutter..er..er..er...ugh

AMP uses interpolation of two adjacent frames to create an intermediary frame. This works very well for 24 FPS (24 Hz) video because there is a long enough gap between them that the motion blur effect is not as adversely diminished, and enough time to calculate the frame used to create the smoothing effect.

Video that is 30 FPS or 60 FPS (30/60 Hz) can also be done this way, but will be subject to more stutter. There is less time in between each frame. 30 FPS has a better result than 60 FPS, oddly enough.

The MPEG Artifacting Factor

Satellite and digital TV broadcasts have little to no artifacting, aside from upscaling done by the TV. As such, there is not much to cause problems for the TV's processor with regard to AMP.

DVDs, on the other hand, are rife with artifacts. In fact, the only DVDs that are unlikely to suffer significantly (i.e. be even remotely watchable) with AMP higher than Clear, are animation DVDs that are very very very well encoded. For instance, Transformers: Beast Wars does (relatively) well in AMP: Smooth. Not anywhere near perfect, but it's the best I've seen so far. On the other end of the spectrum is say Babylon 5. There are several scenes in nearly every episode that have a "top down" view, and are VERY poorly encoded. AMP set to anything higher than Clear will stutter almost as bad as Elmer Fudd. No joke there either, sadly.

Blu-Rays are a mixed bag. The earlier MPEG-2 encoded BDRs were of a lesser quality than the AVC and VC-1 encoded BDRs. Case in point: Stargate (original BD release) was MPEG-2 and had very off color (especially flesh tones), and artifacts could be readily seen. Stargate: 15th Anniversary BD release solved those issues and uses VC-1 as its codec. The first release Stargate BDR has noticeable stutter at aything higher than Clear on AMP. SG: 15TH Anniversary plays very well on the Smooth setting. Oddly enough, 10.5: Apocalypse (I'm a sucker for disaster movies!) plays very well on Smooth as well.

One thing you'll need to consider though with any iteration of AMP vs. Game Mode is that there will be about a 100ms audio sync issue. You'll need to adjust your AVR to delay the audio, starting at 100ms and increase/decreasing if the 100ms mark isn't close enough for you. My Yamaha can go to 160ms if necessary.

TL;DR Version: For DVDs, use Clear. For TV/STB, use whatever you like. For Blu-Ray, Smooth works most of the time, with a few exceptions.

Apparently a colon followed by a D = smiley even as part of an acrynym. Grr.
post #3 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I hadn't found that post, but it does sound in line with what some other posts were elluding to.

I've got to say it's pretty dissapointing. It sounds like the AMP processor just isn't powerful enough to cope with all encoding formats at 1080p...or it's just very picky about what formats it works well with.

I did some more testing, and found that clear doesn't stutter, but on clear, the judder is horrible in slow panning scenes Pretty much as bad as with AMP off. Feels like very low fps.

At Standard or Smooth, the panning is smooth and clean between stutters. When it stutters, it actually looks like it's dropping out of AMP mode, dropping a few frames, and then jumping back into AMP a few frames ahead.

I tried your suggested custom settings, but found the judder was worse than AMP standard, and it still stuttered badly

Image contrast and color on this TV is great compared to my old CRT HDTV, but the jutter makes slow panning scenes look horendous without AMP on standard or smooth. But with AMP on, the stutter is unbearable!

Threads complaining about this seem to go back to 2007, so it's dissapointing that Samsung hasn't fixed this. It seems like they should be able to come out with AMP-style hardware/firmware that works seemlesly on all common encoding formats. I'd much rather have a smooth, solid image than USB and LAN ports.

Sorry for the rant...just really suprised and disappointed in the image quality of video playback. Seeing it so perfect for a few seconds gets you jazzed...and then the stuttering kills the buzz! Annoying
post #4 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM

You should never even use AMP during game play anyways. It introduces a lot of lag.
I left my AMP on by accident playing Red Dead Redemption. There will be times where I'll see macro blocks and triple ghosting image in and around the character. Turning AMP off removes all that effect.
post #5 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM

I don't think it is just Samsung. The other manufacturers call it different names but from what I gather it is around to some extent on them all. You might try moving the judder up and down and see if you can find a sweet spot. I found one review on a UK site that suggests Blur at 10 and Judder at 0. Besides just turning it off ( I know, then why is it even a feature) I have found no real answers. I think it is simply a feature that LCD manufacturers came up with to compete with plasma and a way to charge us all a little more.
post #6 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

You should never even use AMP during game play anyways. It introduces a lot of lag.
I left my AMP on by accident playing Red Dead Redemption. There will be times where I'll see macro blocks and triple ghosting image in and around the character. Turning AMP off removes all that effect.

I'm talking about video playback (i.e. DVD, HD DVD, downloaded videos, etc) played from my xbox, or other sources.

I'm not talking about the image quality in video games.
post #7 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post

I don't think it is just Samsung. The other manufacturers call it different names but from what I gather it is around to some extent on them all. You might try moving the judder up and down and see if you can find a sweet spot. I found one review on a UK site that suggests Blur at 10 and Judder at 0. Besides just turning it off ( I know, then why is it even a feature) I have found no real answers. I think it is simply a feature that LCD manufacturers came up with to compete with plasma and a way to charge us all a little more.

Ya, I know they all have similar features...just suprised that they sell you a feature that doesn't do what it's supposed to. I guess that doesn't really matter to sales or marketing though But seriously, if you bought a car with a feature that "smooths acceleration", and the car lurched back and forth whenever you drove, unless you turned off the "smooth" feature, in which case it just miss-fired regularily but yet still made the ride smoother, you'd probably drive it through the dealer's front window! This is what AMP seems like...to me, as bad as the judder is, the stutter is even worse!

Unfortunately there is no sweet spot with the judder. Once I turn it above 0, the video stutters. It's bearable on some movies, but on others it's not

Fixing judder by adding stutter is unfortunately pointless in terms of video quality and watchability. The blur doesn't seem to cause stuttering at any setting, so yes, 10 and 0 works, but I'm still stuck with the horendous judder.

I'll try complaining at Samsung for a while, and get them out to look at it, and we'll see if there is anything they can do.
post #8 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike300zxt View Post

I'm talking about video playback (i.e. DVD, HD DVD, downloaded videos, etc) played from my xbox, or other sources.

I'm not talking about the image quality in video games.

Ah, my apologies.
post #9 of 157 Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 PM

We need to find a person who works for Samsung in this country and ask them if they buy Samsung TV's and do they like that feature. Of course if we find one we may want to ask other questions too. Such as - do you like banding, flashlighting, clouding, ........
post #10 of 157 Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM

I've posted about this issue before. I have a 46 inch LCD 650 model A series from 2 and a half years ago. The automotion plus feature works perfectly. It never studders...not once. You can put it on high and it's smooth as can be. Then I bought a 55 inch 650 C model last year and it studdered so much that I returned it to Amazon within the 30 day period. This past week, Fry's had a great deal on the Samsung UNC8000 LED tv. I figured I'd give it another shot. It's the same deal. On certain things, it stutters like crazy. If you ever wanna see this problem at it's most obvious, check out Modern Family and turn the AMP on anything but off or clear. It's a complete mess. It's pretty much unwatchable. You can turn judder down to 0 and it still skips like crazy. I still can't believe Samsung released these amazing tv's with this glaringly obvious problem. I absolutely love everything about this tv with the exception of this but it's a big enough issue that I'll once again be returning because of it. I haven't read much of anything about this being a problem with Sony sets or anyone else for that matter. The thing that really gets me is Samsung had it right a couple years ago with the A models and somewhere along the line, they screwed it up. Wouldn't you just go back to what worked? Maybe they're trying to cut costs with a cheaper processor? I don't know but they ruined a perfect tv with they're seriously flawed AMP.
post #11 of 157 Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

This thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd share a few more tests I've done as this TV drives me nuts, and Samsung support has been useless at correcting the flaw, or even having anyone knowledgable discuss it with me.

I've found that the problem only seems to effect certain HDMI and component cable connections. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with any particular DVD/HD DVD or encoding format. They all suffer.

Any DVD played from my old 480i DVD player work flawlessly with AMP on any setting. The same DVDs played at 1080P 60Hz from my xbox 360 suffer terrible studdering/frame drops if AMP is on any setting higher than clear. Same with HD DVDs. The picture will typically be butter smooth and flawless for 3-4 seconds, then suffer studdering for 1-2 seconds, repeatedly. The exact timing seems random, and if you replay a scene, it doesn't stutter at the same place. So it's not the video encoding.

AVI/WMV/MKV and DVDs of various formats played from my PC over 1080i component cable suffer the same terrible studdering/frame drops if AMP is on any setting higher than clear. However, the same video files played to the TV over ethernet cable, or by USB HDD play flawlessly with AMP on any setting. Thus it's not the movie/DVD encoding. It's the TV not dealing with certain inputs properly.

On the affected HDMI and Component modes, AMP must be set to clear. Then you see the normal 24fps judder, but no frame drops/stuttering.

I'm not sure how to resolve this with Samsung. I bought the TV for it's Auto Motion Plus on movies. But the Auto Motion Plus just doesn't work with supported HDMI and component inputs. How do you deal with something like this under warranty? They already replaced the input board and updated the firmware to no effect, so it seems like it's deffective by design.
post #12 of 157 Old 05-21-2011, 01:46 AM

Glad I found this thread. I bought a 46" c630 and it is driving me nuts. I absolutely love the color and blacks this tv produces but the juddering/frame skipping is a killer. I'm probably going to return it and get something else. I really don't want to though because on top of the picture looking great I also love the sets build quality. Why oh why would they do this to such a great tv.
post #13 of 157 Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 AM

This is a known issue for "C" (2010) Samsung tvs. It affected my LN40C630 and it seems to be in all models with AMP regardless of size or lcd/led or 120/240hz. It is unknown if it affects every single tv, or ones with a certain processor or whatever, but it doesn't seem to have affected the "D" models so it looks like Samsung fixed whatever was causing the problem of last years tvs.
post #14 of 157 Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 AM

I spent quite a bit of money on the UN55C7000 because it was supposed to have an excellent auto motion plus feature. Unlike many others, I love the "soap opera effect" created by motion smoothing, and I was extremely pleased with the result I received by turning this feature on with the standard and smooth settings. However, it didn't take long for me to notice the stutter, lag, skip, whatever you want to call it, when the feature is on. I could notice this happening every twenty seconds at the best and every two seconds at the worst with all sources (standard definition, hi definition, and dvd player hooked up with both hdmi cables and component cables). With auto motion plus turned off this was not an issue.

I researched online and found out a lot of other Samsung owners were having the same problem, such as you (but I couldn't find anyone complain about this happening with the UNC7000 series up until now). I did the firmware update hoping that it would fix the problem. The firmware update actually made the problem worse, and to add insult to injury took away most of the "soap opera effect" that I originally had with the tv. The smooth setting is not nearly as strong as it was, and only when I do the custom setting with both the judder and motion blur reducers turned all the way up can I get closer to the motion smoothing that my tv had before the update, although it still isn't really close. I'm left with a tv that is unbearable to watch with auto motion plus turned on, which was the only reason I paid the extra money for this tv. I'm disappointed that the update didn't help, that Samsung would tone down the "soap opera effect" in their firmware updates with no regard for customers who may have enjoyed this feature. I'm returning it.
post #15 of 157 Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 AM

This tv was purchased a week ago (August 2011). And it has the same stutter/judder/skip problem that Samsung tvs have had for years, as described in these forums.

What is wrong with this company/industry????

This tv replaced a Sony XBR2 1080p from 2005 and the Sony NEVER had any of these problems. Sure, it didn't have any of the bells and whistles (internet apps, social networking, wireless, ARC to receiver, etc.) but seriously?????
post #16 of 157 Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike300zxt View Post

Ok, I just bought a Samsung LN40C610N1F, which overall I love, but I can't determine if the TV is deffective, or if the Auto Motion Plus (AMP) feature is flawed by design. I've been reading a bunch of threads, and it seems like a lot of people have complaints regarding the AMP feature.

When I watch a low def source such as TV, Auto Motion Plus does a great job of making scrolling text and camera panning smooth as butter.

But when I watch an HD movie at 1080P (or 1080i) off my xbox via eaither component or HDMI, I get 3-10 seconds of ultra smooth scrolling/panning, then it stutters for a second, then it's smooth again for 3-10 seconds, then it stutters again, etc. In fast paced scenes, it stutters so badly that it looks like someone is bouncing the camera around. I tried watching a regular DVD off the xbox as well, and it stutters too (I'm assuming because xbox upconverts to 1080P).

I called Samsung support, and the guys said it shouldn't do that, but reading the forums, it seems like this happens for everyone.

So my question is, is my TV deffective, or is the AMP processor in it just too slow to cope with 1080P?

When I turn AMP off, the stuttering goes away, but the text scrolling and camera panning aren't as smooth & clear. Since I bought the TV based on the smoothness of the AMP demo (which seemed to be HD), I expect it to work properly.

Can anyone clarify if this is a physical defect with the TV, or just a design flaw (i.e. AMP processor too slow)?

I bought a UN55D6050 and it has the same problem. I have found that the "Clear" setting provides the best results to the problem.

Also, you can setup your own custom settings to correct this too.

I cannot get "Standard" or "Smooth" to be reliable with blu rays, directive, ps3 or xbox360. I have to stick with "Clear" or create a custom setting with "Judder Reduction" at "0".

Judder reduction seems to be the problem, not Blur Reduction. Thats why "Clear" works correctly. Blur reduction is all you need for clean text and images anyway. Judder reduction just puts those fake frames in for smoothness. It is the Blur reduction setting that provides the true benefit to the image.

Either set your tv to "Clear", or "Custom' with "Judder reduction" set to "0"

I see you said it doesn't look good with these settings....from that point on I am not sure what to tell you.
post #17 of 157 Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am going to revive this thread since this happens on my UN55D8000. It's the same exact problem as other people have described. However, I have something new to add that's not mentioned in this thread.

This does NOT HAPPEN on my Samsung UN55B8000 whatsoever. It doesnt matter what input I use. All AMR settings work smooth as butter for 1080i/1080p cableTV sources. It worked right out of the box. So, for people that thing the "processor is not powerful enough" to handle AMR, that's not true. This feature is simply broken for 1080p/1080i standard North America HDTV broadcast standard since version "C".

Why something this simple hasn't been noticed my Samsung is beyond me. Out of all the people that have reported this issue, has anyone actually been persistent enough to get a straight answer from Samsung; and, have them work on a fix? Out of all the people who have reviewed this TV online, nobody noticed that AMR is broken for regular TV?

Maybe we're using the wrong kind of HDMI cable?

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #18 of 157 Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM

I do also have the same problem with 40d6000, but worse with built in media player even setting the mp to max 10+10 or standart smooth movies 1080p dont give any stutter, sure in some scenes there are some artifacts but nothing like frame skipping or freeze.

When i connect my ps3-360 even turning off the motion plus doesn't matter it stutters in games! yeah amp off= stutter frame skipping etc... when i set it to clear it partially fixes but also creates ball trailing effect in sports games. I know you ll suggest to turn on the game mode but , i hate the game mode it just blurs and flickers in camera panning scenes especially sports!

My old A series samsung with motion plus doesnt do that.

Another problem with d6000 is when i connect my pc via hdmi, when in 3d mode watching a movie or playing game motion plus works. Switch to integrated media player or hdmi connected console devices , i can sellect all motion enhancements as they are selectable but no effect on image as if it doesnt work. All 3d images suffer from blur and flickering. Back to pc works without problem.

edit: when i choose 576i 50hz from ps3 display settings even though picture looks absymal there is no stutter or frame skipping motion plus off.
post #19 of 157 Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post

AMP uses interpolation of two adjacent frames to create an intermediary frame. This works very well for 24 FPS (24 Hz) video because there is a long enough gap between them that the motion blur effect is not as adversely diminished, and enough time to calculate the frame used to create the smoothing effect.

Video that is 30 FPS or 60 FPS (30/60 Hz) can also be done this way, but will be subject to more stutter. There is less time in between each frame. 30 FPS has a better result than 60 FPS, oddly enough.

This is working so far for me. Mac Mini -> HDMI -> UN46C6800.

Was set to 1080i/60 and couldn't get any of the TVs settings to handle full screen panning. Changed the Mini's output to 1080p/24 and only Clear is not smooth as glass.
post #20 of 157 Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've been doing that for a while now. However, without good IVTC, you could be losing picture detail for TV shows and movies. I ended up using the dscaler mpeg2 decoder which can handle IVTC right (much better than anything display card IVTC does).

Samsung has IVTC (aka "Film Mode"); however, it's not powerful enough to handle anything beyond 480i. That's why its gets greyed out for 1080i.

As far as I know the only way to get great realtime IVTC is via Dscaler (IVTC Mod) mpeg2 decoder or recently, madVR has support for it too via the video renderer; both are native Windows apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post

This is working so far for me. Mac Mini -> HDMI -> UN46C6800.

Was set to 1080i/60 and couldn't get any of the TVs settings to handle full screen panning. Changed the Mini's output to 1080p/24 and only Clear is not smooth as glass.

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #21 of 157 Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 AM

Try upgrading to the latest firmware and then doing a factory reset. This appears to have worked for me. Haven't noticed any skipping going on since! (fingers crossed).

To do the factory reset:

Turn OFF (standby mode)
Press INFO, MENU, MUTE and POWER
then i think it's in options and then factory reset (i found it easy enough)
the TV switches off when done. I left mine for 30 secs and switched back on.

You'll have to go through the set up questions again (like when you first got it) and reset your preferred picture settings, but for me it was well worth it to get rid of the annoying motion plus frame skipping issue.

Hope this helps somebody.
post #22 of 157 Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryke72 View Post

Try upgrading to the latest firmware and then doing a factory reset. This appears to have worked for me. Haven't noticed any skipping going on since! (fingers crossed).

To do the factory reset:

Turn OFF (standby mode)
Press INFO, MENU, MUTE and POWER
then i think it's in options and then factory reset (i found it easy enough)
the TV switches off when done. I left mine for 30 secs and switched back on.

You'll have to go through the set up questions again (like when you first got it) and reset your preferred picture settings, but for me it was well worth it to get rid of the annoying motion plus frame skipping issue.

Hope this helps somebody.

Don't be offended but this is your 1st post on this forum. Long time Samsung owners have been complaining of this issue for a long time and even Samsung states it's working by design. Which we all know it is not! If your fix works I will send you a big hug! Lol. Not sure I want to go through the hassle of resetting my tv to try this so hopefully someone else out there will?

Why do you need to upgrade to latest firmware then reset? Isn't resetting it going back to original anyways? After its reset , should you upgrade the firmware to newest updated again or is the new upgrade the issue?
post #23 of 157 Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My 4671 stutters like crazy with AMP on, will even stutter some with AMP off. This will be my first and last Samsung TV. They replaced boards in it twice, refused to take it back and give me something else. As above, it is a feature I paid for and should be fixed no matter what it takes at their end, but they refused to do any more when the warranty expired.
post #24 of 157 Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

This issue isn't specific to Samsung. This exact issue has been reported on other TV manufacturers (specific models) as well. However, on Samsung its most probably the worst.

BTW: The factory reset just resets the user settings back to their defaults. Unfortunately, this TV stutters on cableTV/Satellite TV input right out of the box (with AMP enabled and set to anything but "clear" preset. Im sure if there was an easy fix someone would have figured it long ago.

There are some cableTV/satellite/HD Media boxes that don't cause this kind of stutter. Unfortunately, there's no documentation on which specific models are compatible. On PC's it's very easy... just change the refresh rate to 24Hz or 23Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

My 4671 stutters like crazy with AMP on, will even stutter some with AMP off. This will be my first and last Samsung TV. They replaced boards in it twice, refused to take it back and give me something else. As above, it is a feature I paid for and should be fixed no matter what it takes at their end, but they refused to do any more when the warranty expired.

post #25 of 157 Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

Don't be offended but this is your 1st post on this forum. Long time Samsung owners have been complaining of this issue for a long time and even Samsung states it's working by design. Which we all know it is not! If your fix works I will send you a big hug! Lol. Not sure I want to go through the hassle of resetting my tv to try this so hopefully someone else out there will?

Why do you need to upgrade to latest firmware then reset? Isn't resetting it going back to original anyways? After its reset , should you upgrade the firmware to newest updated again or is the new upgrade the issue?

Hi, yes I can appreciate that. I thought I'd share what appears to have worked for me. I upgraded to 1016 as soon as I got the tv so not sure what version it was running b4hand. After the reset it's still running 1016 so it doesn't divert back to the original firmware. Had to reset my preferred picture settings and wifi but other than that it wasnt any hassle. Anyway I still have no judder/skipping. Tested with all motion plus settings on 1080p blu ray, Xbox Netflix, sky hd and happy days so far.
post #26 of 157 Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM

So it kept the newest update after a factory reset? That seems strange? I really wish we could find another person out there to test this reset out to see if this indeed fixes the stutter issues. So are you saying that the stutter/judder is completely gone but regardless of setting of AMP? And it was there on all setting previous to reset? Hhmmm? It would be very interesting I this really worked..lol
post #27 of 157 Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Why not just set it to clear?

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #28 of 157 Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Why not just set it to clear?

It helps setting it to clear , but still an issue.
post #29 of 157 Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

It helps setting it to clear , but still an issue.

Yes I tried setting it to 'clear' and although it reduced the stutter to a minimum, it was still missing a frame/skipping about every 40 seconds or so. Brilliant picture but this was driving me crazy. Must have spent the best part of a day fiddling with settings and looking at forums for a fix :-).

I'll have a look through my settings and triple check that "I'm stutter free" before I post again. Will try and have a look today If I have time. But in the mean time if someone else can be arsed to try it to see if they experience the same divine miracle, that would be useful.
post #30 of 157 Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryke72 View Post

Yes I tried setting it to 'clear' and although it reduced the stutter to a minimum, it was still missing a frame/skipping about every 40 seconds or so. Brilliant picture but this was driving me crazy. Must have spent the best part of a day fiddling with settings and looking at forums for a fix :-).

I'll have a look through my settings and triple check that "I'm stutter free" before I post again. Will try and have a look today If I have time. But in the mean time if someone else can be arsed to try it to see if they experience the same divine miracle, that would be useful.

The only other thought I had was that with my Xbox or apple mac, whenever I download an update I have to 'restart' the machine in order for that update to take effect and maybe that's what's happened with doing a factory reset? Although someone said earlier that a FR doesn't do an aweful lot. Anyway just a thought...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Electronics