AVS Forum banner

Vizio M550NV

63K views 158 replies 58 participants last post by  venky80 
#1 ·
The Vizio VF552XVT got pretty good reviews over at cnet but the design is pretty fugly. I saw the M550NV over at Wal-Mart and it is far more attractive. I'm considering the LG LE5500 as well, but have been reading mixed reviews about the local dimming and the purple bezel is a little odd.

I have been looking for reviews of the Vizio M550NV but have come up pretty empty since it's so new -- does anyone have any thoughts? The thin design is a big plus and there is a lot of natural light in the room (so matte or semi-matte is a requirement). We need a fairly wide viewing angle as well.

Thoughts?

#52 ·
The m550nv has been awesome for me as far as picture quality (HDTV via ComCast, Blu-Ray, 360/PS3) so far.

The issue that I am having is that the TV constantly reboots itself (as mention in an earlier post). This only happens when I am watching cable via ComCast's SA8300HDC STB and never happens on other HDMI inputs when playing games or wathing movies on the 360 or PS3.

I had the TV connected wirelessly and decided to disable the connection to see what would happen and the TV has not rebooted once since. I wonder if the issue is that each time an APP is updated the TV needs to reboot?

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please post details and/or fixes.

Thanks.

#53 ·
I took the chance and got this TV, and it's pretty nice. I emailed Vizio last night about the panel, and they emailed back saying it's an MVA panel, but it looks more like a plain S-IPS to me.

There is NO color/contrast shifting like on the Sony Bravia I tried which is a *VA, and when looking directly in the center, there are white shimmers in the corners on black screens, and I think that's IPS. My H-IPS monitor still looks better, but it's still really good.

The colors look a bit off though, anyone know any good settings? I'm not good with calibrating.

Anyone feel like posting their settings, including the advanced stuff? Skin looks slightly yellow to me, and I don't know what to change to fix it.

#57 ·
Hey I just got this tv.

So far I love it. I do need to go through and calibrate the color. But the out of box settings seem pretty good (after turning down the brightness and some of the after effects processing).

The film mode is weird and makes normal tv look like soap operas but i think it is just something to get used to and can be turned on and off.

xbox 360 looks great on this tv. no problems at all. one really nice thing is I have the older xbox 360 without HDMI, and this tv will accept 1080p over a component connection.

So far I am happy with the tv.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie /forum/post/19493810

Any word on if this is an S-IPS panel? I'd love to know!

I've also read that LED edge-lit can give unbalanced lighting, has anyone noticed this, and if yes, is it all that bad?

Oh, and does it have/require the use of Game Mode for gaming? I tried the normal 47" Vizio and the input lag was horrible unless changed to Game in the picture settings. Problem with that is it also disables EVERY SINGLE tweakable setting, even backlight brightness!

I have noticed that the lighting does kind of bleed into the other areas when the whole screen is black and a small bit of it is not, it isn't horrible though and you only notice it in extreme cases.

As far as gaming, i havent dont a ton yet but i did not notice any lag while playing xbox 360 over component.

#59 ·
Well, since no one has answered my previous question I figured I would post an update; just in case anyone else is having the random shutdown problem:

After calling Vizio and actually getting a very nice rep, she informed me that this is a common problem referred to as random vizio reboot (RVR) that has only been reported with their Internet-Connectable HDTVs. She also stated that the tech team has found the potential answer to the problemm stating:

"The RVR is caused by the HDTV being connected wirelessly to one's network, which creates an environment where Apps' updates and TV firmware updates cause the TV to perform a power cycle..." The problem here is that the more Apps you install the more frequent the RVR will be.

SOLUTIONS:

- Disconnect the TV from the network all together, or

- Hardwire your connection.

I tested this solution by disconnecting my TV from the wireless connection and have NOT had one single reboot since! It sucks that I have to sacrifice my wireless connection to get the TV to stop rebooting. However, I will try the hardwire the rest of this weekend and into next week and report back as to whether I had any reboots.

Peace in the Middle.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDale /forum/post/19514871

Well, since no one has answered my previous question I figured I would post an update; just in case anyone else is having the random shutdown problem:

After calling Vizio and actually getting a very nice rep, she informed me that this is a common problem referred to as random vizio reboot (RVR) that has only been reported with their Internet-Connectable HDTVs. She also stated that the tech team has found the potential answer to the problemm stating:

"The RVR is caused by the HDTV being connected wirelessly to one's network, which creates an environment where Apps' updates and TV firmware updates cause the TV to perform a power cycle..." The problem here is that the more Apps you install the more frequent the RVR will be.

SOLUTIONS:

- Disconnect the TV from the network all together, or

- Hardwire your connection.

I tested this solution by disconnecting my TV from the wireless connection and have NOT had one single reboot since! It sucks that I have to sacrifice my wireless connection to get the TV to stop rebooting. However, I will try the hardwire the rest of this weekend and into next week and report back as to whether I had any reboots.

Peace in the Middle.

Thanks for the info!

Do you have any idea what app it is that was causing it? Did you install any additional apps? What if you remove certain apps?

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 /forum/post/19513795

Hey I just got this tv.

So far I love it. I do need to go through and calibrate the color. But the out of box settings seem pretty good (after turning down the brightness and some of the after effects processing).

The film mode is weird and makes normal tv look like soap operas but i think it is just something to get used to and can be turned on and off.

xbox 360 looks great on this tv. no problems at all. one really nice thing is I have the older xbox 360 without HDMI, and this tv will accept 1080p over a component connection.

So far I am happy with the tv.

Congrats on the unit! Try the settings and then see if you can get it pro calibrated if you are not happy with them as that seems to make perfect for your enviroment

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 /forum/post/19514884

Thanks for the info!

Do you have any idea what app it is that was causing it? Did you install any additional apps? What if you remove certain apps?

I installed Yahoo Fantasy Football and XBOX Live Alert (can't remember the actual name), so it may have been one of those two.

Also, I am not sure of there has been a recent firmware upgrade or not; if so, that could have caused it.

Please post if any of you are have the same reboot issue. Thanks.

#67 ·
I just got one of these this week. Nice pic, great whites, very detailed images, but do you guys notice the edge light bleeds or blooming especially in the corners with a solid black image, or with an input selected with no signal? Sure seems like the edge light bleeds into the outer perimeter of the display. Or is there settings to alleviate this anomoly? I've tried numerous adjustments, only one I find eliminates the edgelight bleed is to turn down edgelight to < 40%, and that sucks. Comments?

#68 ·
Reboots - Bobby Dale,

Try it again. I am shopping this TV and saw your post about reboots. I called Vizio tech support directly and asked them about it and he checked and said they already did a firmware update that should fix the issue. I asked him for the date of the update and he told me it was 19 November. I need to know if your issue is now solved or not before buying this TV, the update for the firmware is dated the same day as your last post. Check it and/or try manually updating it.

Hope that helps.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio /forum/post/19518205

I just got one of these this week. Nice pic, great whites, very detailed images, but do you guys notice the edge light bleeds or blooming especially in the corners with a solid black image, or with an input selected with no signal? Sure seems like the edge light bleeds into the outer perimeter of the display. Or is there settings to alleviate this anomoly? I've tried numerous adjustments, only one I find eliminates the edgelight bleed is to turn down edgelight to

Hey I noticed the blooming being an issue as well. but I only notice it when the entire screen is black and an icon comes on the side or the tv. It really isnt a huge issue and it doesnt affect every day viewing.

#71 ·
I started a new thread as I am choosing tonight between the Vizio 550NV and the plain no wireless/LCD not LED/apparently not an LG IPS panel, but large LG 60" 60LD550. It seems several folks own the LG but aren't talking much about their experience with it. I have to order a new Blue Ray player anyway as I only have a plain DVD player now, so if I hear that the LG is has excellent PQ, I can get the new BlueRay DVD player with wifi built in for a few bucks more. If I get the Vizio I'll get a Blue Ray player without wifi. I have seen the Vizio and love the pic in the store. But have never seen the LG 60" personally.

So I'll ask here as well. I already called Vizio customer service and they were fast and understandable, and if you read my previous post above answered another's question about reboots on the Vizio.

I am replacing a 52" Samsung that had its PQ go South about a month ago. It was great until then.

Any thoughts?

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Jr /forum/post/19537963

I started a new thread as I am choosing tonight between the Vizio 550NV and the plain no wireless/LCD not LED/apparently not an LG IPS panel, but large LG 60" 60LD550. It seems several folks own the LG but aren't talking much about their experience with it. I have to order a new Blue Ray player anyway as I only have a plain DVD player now, so if I hear that the LG is has excellent PQ, I can get the new BlueRay DVD player with wifi built in for a few bucks more. If I get the Vizio I'll get a Blue Ray player without wifi. I have seen the Vizio and love the pic in the store. But have never seen the LG 60" personally.

So I'll ask here as well. I already called Vizio customer service and they were fast and understandable, and if you read my previous post above answered another's question about reboots on the Vizio.

I am replacing a 52" Samsung that had its PQ go South about a month ago. It was great until then.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the late reply! This all happened prior to November 19th, so I will hook it up tonight and see what happens. I may be late in responding, but at least will give some others peace of mind; I just know it has not happened at all since I disconnected from my wireless connection.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Jr /forum/post/19537963

Any thoughts?

2 weeks in with the TV and I still love it a lot. I would not hesitate at all to purchase this tv. The web features i could do without but they dont hurt.

Picture quality is amazing, especially from blu ray sources.

#74 ·
So I have been with the TV for about a month and think I have settled on the settings that I am happy with. I didn't use a calibration disk but did it quick based on a test pattern I have PVR'd in HD.

The one setting I keep waffling on is the Adaptive Luma. Does anyone know exactly how it works? Most people on-line are saying to keep it off which for the most part seems ok. But for some programming I think it looks better on. I think if I new the logic behind what it was doing exactly it might help me make up my mind.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmax /forum/post/19579406

So I have been with the TV for about a month and think I have settled on the settings that I am happy with. I didn't use a calibration disk but did it quick based on a test pattern I have PVR'd in HD.

The one setting I keep waffling on is the Adaptive Luma. Does anyone know exactly how it works? Most people on-line are saying to keep it off which for the most part seems ok. But for some programming I think it looks better on. I think if I new the logic behind what it was doing exactly it might help me make up my mind.

What settings did you use? and what do you primarily watch (BluRay, TV, etc...)

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 /forum/post/19584240

What settings did you use? and what do you primarily watch (BluRay, TV, etc...)

I hesitate to post my settings as I'm not an expert. To my eyes the following seem to work for my set:

Pic Mode: Custom

Backlight: Not controlled with ambient setting on

Bright: 45

Contrast: 70

Color: 55

Tint: 0

Sharp:4

Temp: Normal

Smooth motion: Low

Real Cinema: Smooth

Noise red: Off

MPEG NR: OFF

Color enhancement: OFF

Adaptive Luma: Low (help on this one please)

Film: Auto

Smart Dimming: ON

Ambient Sensor: Medium

I primarily watch 720P HDTV. Also watch Blu-Ray. All seem great with these settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.