LG CMS - Figured out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Knd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We own 2 LG LCD TV's, a 42ld450, and a 60ld550. I use an i1Pro and HCFR to calibrate.

A little over a year ago, I purchased an Epson 6500 UB and have really enjoyed it. I caught the calibration bug, and thanks to Stereomandan, I have been calibrating the 6500 according to his calibration guide here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134710

Also, thanks to Alluringreality, for the great AVSHD calibration disk that has the saturation patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I had done some calibrations of the ld450 and was pleased with the results, but really couldn't figure out how the "color" and "tint" controls worked on the primary colors.

I then got the ld550, and calibrated that up (BTW the 10 pt grayscale for these sets works wonderfully and provides great results on one pass). I was disappointed with the results - primarily with the green.

Becasue of Stereomandan's guide, what he described as his problem initially with his Epson projector seemed to be what I was seeing with the 550, so I decided to run the saturation points.

Here is what I got:

As you can see the 75% green saturation is closer to the 50% point than the 75% point.

So what I did was to put up a 75% Green Saturation pattern and low and behold the "color" control moved the saturation location toward D65 or out to 100% saturation. This worked for Red, Green and Blue. The "tint" control still moved the point back and forth over the line from 100% saturation to D65 as it should.

When you get to the secondary colors though, the "color" control adjusted lightness, and "tint" moved the point between the 2 supporting primaries, as it should.

What's important is that the 100% saturation points for the primaries are fixed on the LG, you can't move them.

Here's my suggested CMS calibration approach:
1) Put up a 75% saturation pattern for red. In HCFR go to free measures and using the "color" and "tint" controls move this point to: x 0.558, y 0.330.
2) Put up a 75% saturation pattern of green, and using the same controls, move this point to: x 0.303, y 0.532.
3) Finally put up a 75% saturation pattern of blue, and move this point to: x 0.191, y 0.127.
Don't worry about adjust the lightness of these points at this point. Once you take your reading if the lightness is off, I would suggest using the main color control (but I left mine at 50, and I got good lightness results, so I didn't test this part).
You can also put up the CIE diagram in HCFR and move the point visually, and then go Free measures to fine tune the location. I did this with blue as I was having trouble finding the correct 75% location (I probably wasn't patient enough).
4) Put up a 100% color pattern of yellow, and use the "color" control to adjust this color to 92.8% of the 100 IRE white Y value. Use the "tint" control to balance the red and green percentage so they are equal.
5) Put up a 100% color pattern of cyan, and use the "color" control to adjust this color to 78.7% of the 100 IRE white Y value. Use the "tint" control to balance the blue and green percentage so they are equal.
6) Put up a 100% color pattern of magenta, and use the "color" control to adjust this color to 28.5% of the 100 IRE white Y value. Use the "tint" control to balance the blue and red percentage so they are equal.

Once you have adjusted the 6 colors, then run your primary and secondary color measures. Also, run the 30 Saturation color measures. This is what I got.

Also attached is the HCFR file for this calibration. I got similar results for the 3 other calibrations that I did. The picture looks fantastic.

BT709 Saturation daytime.zip 56.8916015625k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 298
How to post pictures:

A Go to http://tinypic.com/ and upload an image.

B Open a new window for AVS message, click 'insert image' - click 'script window' then click 'insert image'.

C (left) click in Tinypic Directe link for lay-outs BOX - (right) click in AVS 'Please enter the URL of your image' BOX - click 'paste' - click OK.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Knd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

How to post pictures:

B Open a new window for AVS message, click 'insert image' - click 'script window' then click 'insert image'.

C (left) click in Tinypic Directe link for lay-outs BOX - (right) click in AVS 'Please enter the URL of your image' BOX - click 'paste' - click OK.

Thanks. I tried this, but my dillema is that I have Excel Charts that I can't save as .jpg, bmp, etc. Any ideas? The workbook is passworded also (by the creator, not me).
post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe you can get these charts from somewhere else,it seems that the only thing you can do is go to the source and make a copie over there.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-07-2010, 06:11 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Do you have Windows Vista or 7?

There is a "snipping tool" one can use to snip images from any open window (e.g., excel or Word) and copy them as a jpg file or whatever.

Just click on teh start bar and type in "Snipping Tool"...

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If you can save the pictures to a jpg format (or bmp, or whatever) on your drive, you then click on manage attachments, add the files. Then in the "Manage Attachments" window, click on the little icon to the left of the file name that was added and another window should pop up with the jpg picture. Copy and paste the link. Then in the body of your message, click on where you want to put the picture so the cursor is there, then click on the little "landscape" icon to insert an image (next to the "quotation" icon), and another pop up window will come up that you then paste the link you copied into and click ok and it will put a "[IMG]" and "[/IMG]" around the link.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Knd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

How to post pictures:

Thanks I finally got it. I converted the Excel Chart to a .pdf, and then saved the image to a .jpg. I then use your Tinypic suggestion. I've Edited the post to insert the pictures.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Knd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Do you have Windows Vista or 7?

There is a "snipping tool" one can use to snip images from any open window (e.g., excel or Word) and copy them as a jpg file or whatever.

Just click on teh start bar and type in "Snipping Tool"...

I have XP, and couldn't find the "snipping tool". This laptop has a reduced version of XP on it, so maybe that is why.

Have you taken any saturation reading on your ld450 yet? I'm curious to see if any of the primaries are off, and how the adjustment went.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
Thanks I finally got it. I converted the Excel Chart to a .pdf, and then saved the image to a .jpg. I then use your Tinypic suggestion. I've Edited the post to insert the pictures.
My TV is pro-calibrated a few days ago

Emile - Detailed Calibration Summary.pdf 26.1533203125k . file
post #10 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just wanted to add that this method did not work for my LG 42LD520. I managed to get the 75% saturation points set perfectly using the above method but that threw the 100% saturation points off substancially (went from deltaE's averaging around 5, to 50, waaay off and visibly so).

I did, however, use your method for setting the secondaries, which worked splendidly.

Thus far, on my set, I've been unable to set the primaries appropriately. It appears that any adjustments made leads to a less accurate color gamut. My approach has been to nail down the greyscale and gamma in the 10 point IRE, leave the primaries alone, and use your method to set the secondaries. This is what I ended up with:

I plan on tinkering with the primaries further but am not holding much hope. Regardless, gamma is a straight line at 2.2, greyscale is perfectly balanced... and the color gamut is pretty darn close with the primaries at their defaults.

EDIT* I do realize this is a very old thread. I wanted to update it because it's still regularly referenced as a viable option for setting some LG sets. It belongs in the Display Calibration section and not the LCD section however, maybe a mod can get it moved over?
post #11 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello first post...

I have LG LD465 and would like to calibrate it to get beater picture
but in my tv options expert settings i can only put values like
Best settings expert 1

BACKLIGHT 48
CONTRAST 81
BRIGHTNESS 69
H SHARPNESS 65
V SHARPNESS 54
COLOR 50
TINT G3

BLACK LEVEL LOW
COLOR BT709
EDGE ENHANCER Low
COLOR TEMPREATURE WARM
GAMA 2.2
METHOD 10 PONT
IRE 100 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0
LUMINANCE 150
RED 3 0 9 5 7 7 8 16 10 9 50
GREEN 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 12 5 2 -50
BLUE 6 25 22 19 17 12 14 20 15 3 -50

CMS
RED COLOR -1
RED TINT 6
GREEN COLOR 2
GREEN TINT 8
BLUE COLOR -2
BLUE TINT -11
YELLOW COLOR 0
YELLOW TINT -1
CYAN COLOR 1
CYAN TINT 1
MAGENTA COLOR 18
MAGENTA TINT 8

so can you show me the way to put these setting in my TV thanks...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page