Official Toshiba XXUX600U Thread (55UX600U, 46UX600U, 40UX600U) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 140 Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Welcome all. I'm new here but I've been ghosting the forums for a while. I got a lot of helpful information here and I thought I would return the favor by starting this thread.

I have recently bought a new loft and with it I need an equally trendy entertainment system. () After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think I'm going with the Toshiba 55UX600U.

I've not purchased it yet but I thought I'd start a discussion and give this sweet piece of gear an official home while I make my final decision. Feel free to pontificate, question, and praise herein.

So without further adieu, let's kick it off!

Toshiba's Marketing Speak

"The UX600 series is a high quality LED TV line that is both simple and fun! We have packed amazing LED picture quality with deep blacks, robust Internet capability, and a long list of key Toshiba technologies, into our beautiful, Thin Air Lagoon design. In addition, the included Wi-Fi® Adapter makes it a total pleasure from day one."

Official Website

The Sexy

(Standout features in bold)
  • 1080p Full HD Display
  • 3,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
  • ClearFrame 120Hz Anti-Blur Technology
  • PixelPure® 5G 14-Bit Internal Digital Video Processing
  • Resolution+ Super Resolution Technology
  • AutoView
  • DynaLight Dynamic Back-Light Control
  • Cinema Mode 24 fps (5:5 Pulldown)
  • Cinespeed LCD Panel
  • TheaterWide® Modes
  • Color Temperature Control
  • Built-In ATSC/NTSC/QAM Digital Tuning
  • Native Mode
  • Deep Color

Audio
  • Invisible Speakers
  • Dolby® Volume
  • Audyssey EQ
  • Mute/Half Mute

Convenience
  • Net TV
  • 802.11 Wi-Fi® Capable
  • Included Wi-Fi® Adapter
  • DNLA Certified
  • Photo Frame Capability via USB
  • InstaPort Fast HDMI Switching
  • REGZA-LINK® (HDMI®-CEC)
  • Auto Aspect Control
  • Gaming Mode
  • Sleep Timer
  • Channel Browser
  • Channel Labeling
  • Input Labeling
  • Logo Light On/Off
  • SD Card Slot
  • 4-Item Universal Remote*

Connections (Note Toshiba lists this as "JackPacks", which I cannot in good faith repeat here )
  • HDMI® Digital Inputs: 4 (2 Side)
  • ColorStream® HD Component Video Input (1)
  • Side A/V: 1
  • High Res PC Input (S-XGA, 15 pin, D-sub)
  • IR Pass Through
  • Dolby® Digital Optical Output
  • USB Ports: 2
  • Ethernet Port (RJ45)

Weights and Dimensions
  • Dimensions: 52.87 x 32.95 x 1.96 (WxHxD)
  • Weight With Stand: 62.8 lbs.
  • Dimensions With Stand: 52.87 x 34.96 x 15.59 (WxHxD)
  • Weight With Packaging: 77.2 lbs.
  • Dimensions With Packaging: 57.68 x 36.85 x 8.97 (WxHxD)

Power
  • ENERGY STAR Certified

Reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 07-15-2010, 01:40 AM

I guess I'll be the first to chime in on this T.V.

Bought the 55UX600U about 2 week ago and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. I currently also own a Samsung PN50B650 plasma which is known for having an outstanding picture. So right off the bat, this T.V. had a lot to live up to.

At first I was a tad sceptical at the idea of buying anything other than plasma (I love the inky blacks and great contrast ratio.), but we needed a new T.V. for our remodeled den which has a few windows in it, so I really wanted something that was a bit brighter than my plasma and that could handle some outside light.

I'm quite picky when it comes to video quality, and I have to say that the Toshiba rivals my Samsung plasma. In a side by side comparison, blacks were fairly identical if not just about the same. Lots of detail in the dark, shaded areas of many of my Blu-rays. However, this was really only when viewing both sets in a lit room. In a darkened room, I think the Samsung had a bit deeper blacks, but not by much.

The Toshiba, for sure, has much more "POP" than the plasma. It just seems to me that the "3D" effect and detail in the picture is much better on the Toshiba LED. My friend, who owns the 58" version of Samsungs plasma, even commented on how much more detail and "POP" the Toshiba had over the Samsung. (Especially with Blu-ray)

Once I calibrated the Toshiba, colors are accurate and right on par with my Samsung. (Once again, the Toshibas colors just seemed to "POP" a bit more without being oversaturated.)

The one thing that the Samsung has over the Toshiba is the viewing angle. If you go about 60 degrees off axis from the center of the T.V. colors get pretty washed out. This isn't an issue for me as we have one couch that sits directly in front (center) of the T.V. But, for those who might have company over to watch a movie and have couches or recliners that sit off axis from the T.V. than LED might not be for you. This is obviously a non issue for plasmas.

All in all, I quite happy with my purchase. Got a great deal on Amazon. Won't be returning this set. The included USB Wi-Fi dongle was a nice included addition.

As a lover of plasma, this T.V. has won me over and convinced me that LED is closing the gap when it comes to pictue quality.
post #3 of 140 Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Posted this elsewhere with no replies, thought i would give this thread a shot.

Anyone have settings for this panel (55UX600U), my brother-in-law purchased one and asked me to help him find out if there is a way to make it look better. Sound, Picture, any type of settings you can think of.
Thanks

--Football, Movie, Basketball, PS3, Soccer, Brodcast T.V., Lacrosse, Kids Cartoons, More Sports --
post #4 of 140 Old 07-17-2010, 02:35 PM

Here are my settings:

Picture: Standard
Backlight: 30
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 0
Color: -8
Tint: 3
Sharp: -14

Advanced Settings:

Color Temp: 5
Dynalight: On
Dynamic Contrast: 5 (for deeper black...doesn't seem to crush blacks either)
Static Gamma: -3
Clear Frame: On
Film Stablization: Standard

I wanted to use Movie mode as a referance point, but couldn't seem to get the yellow out of skin tones. Standard seemed to work so much better. Just my opinion though.

Most people prefer to turn the Dynamic Contrast off, but for me, it gives deeper blacks without (from what I can see) crushing them.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 140 Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks rufus101
Anyone else with any ideas?

--Football, Movie, Basketball, PS3, Soccer, Brodcast T.V., Lacrosse, Kids Cartoons, More Sports --
post #6 of 140 Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus101 View Post

Here are my settings:

Picture: Standard
Backlight: 30
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 0
Color: -8
Tint: 3
Sharp: -14

Advanced Settings:

Color Temp: 5
Dynalight: On
Dynamic Contrast: 5 (for deeper black...doesn't seem to crush blacks either)
Static Gamma: -3
Clear Frame: On
Film Stablization: Standard

I wanted to use Movie mode as a referance point, but couldn't seem to get the yellow out of skin tones. Standard seemed to work so much better. Just my opinion though.

Most people prefer to turn the Dynamic Contrast off, but for me, it gives deeper blacks without (from what I can see) crushing them.

Good Luck!

Brightness 0?
post #7 of 140 Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Yeah...

0 is the "middle" setting for brightness. It goes both negative and positive from there.
post #8 of 140 Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Now that I'm not a noob around here I've added a few review links and a link to the official website.

Thanks for the insights guys. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on this but its looking better!
post #9 of 140 Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Rufus, I'm hearing complaints of uneven backlight (seems like EVERY single LED set has this though..) and edge bleeding. How is it for you?
post #10 of 140 Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM

There are some issues with "uneven" backlighting and edge bleeding. However, I think this is fairly common in most LED (and LCD) TVs. For me, it's only a real issue when watching the TV at night with all the lights off...then it becomes quite noticeble. For me, its a non issue because when we watch a movie at night, it is in our family room on the Samsung plasma. The Toshiba is in our den, mainly for daytime watching. I really only notice the edge bleeding and uneven backlighting when the screen is dark or no image is on it at all. Also, if you keep the backlight setting at or below 30, it diminishes the effect by quite a bit. Some LEDs might be better at controlling these issues, but from what I've heard, most of them have this issue to some extent. If you're going to do a lot of night time viewing on your TV, then LED or LCD may not be for you. I'd recommend plasma for this.
post #11 of 140 Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM

Does anyone here know how bad the INPUT LAG is on this TV (in particular the 40 inch)? If it's not that bad I'll definitely be picking one of these up!
post #12 of 140 Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM

I'm having a problem noticing the 120hz "clearframe" feature on this TV. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It's turned on watching a blu-ray on the PS3 and im not seeing it. This is comparing it to a Standard Def TV with no Clearframe feature and also a Samsung A650 with Auto Motion Plus.

I cannot notice it on this tv. Any thoughts?
post #13 of 140 Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusPingus View Post

I'm having a problem noticing the 120hz "clearframe" feature on this TV. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It's turned on watching a blu-ray on the PS3 and im not seeing it. This is comparing it to a Standard Def TV with no Clearframe feature and also a Samsung A650 with Auto Motion Plus.

I cannot notice it on this tv. Any thoughts?

I am having this same problem with a set my parents in law just got... I think i read somewhere that ClearFrame only works with film and not with the cable signal but even when I pop in a BluRay disc, I am not experiencing the 120hz effect which is usually pretty easy to see.

I have even set the Film Stabilization setting to smooth, standard and off but still doesn't seem to work much.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering whether or not we need to return this unit back for another one in-case its defective.....
post #14 of 140 Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Trying to choose between Sony 40EX700($749-Dell) and Toshiba 40UX600($700-Brands Mart). Any input?
post #15 of 140 Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post

Trying to choose between Sony 40EX700($749-Dell) and Toshiba 40UX600($700-Brands Mart). Any input?

I would go with the toshiba if a glossy panel doesnt bother you. I would imagine pq would be pretty comparable but I havent viewed the sony extensively. I dont like the bottom of the bezel on the sony and the toshiba is actually a very good looking tv. I would have bought one myself except for the glossy panel. Another reason to go with the toshiba is the included wi fi adapter which will save you about 80-100 dollars if you will be using the internet widgets.
post #16 of 140 Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM

I would be forever grateful to someone kind enough to run an input lag test on one of these tv's. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Toshiba 40UX600U if it doesn't have horrible input lag for video games.
post #17 of 140 Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 AM

I have the same problem, I cannot notice the clearframe, I set it smooth , standard and off and it is the same...................... maybe it exist some kind of configuration to make it work?????????????????

woodyjoe
do you have this problem?
post #18 of 140 Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The Clear Frame feature on the TOSHIBA doesn't give you that "Soap Opera" Effect that other brands do when enabling Clear Frame. So if you were looking for that effect, you won't get it with the TOSHIBA.

Does this TV have a Film Stabilization Mode? If so then setting that to SMOOTH will give you a minor "Soap Opera" like efect
post #19 of 140 Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

The Clear Frame feature on the TOSHIBA doesn't give you that "Soap Opera" Effect that other brands do when enabling Clear Frame. So if you were looking for that effect, you won't get it with the TOSHIBA.

Does this TV have a Film Stabilization Mode? If so then setting that to SMOOTH will give you a minor "Soap Opera" like efect

yes, it is 40ux600u, the problem here is I cannot notice anything, i turn it on and off, set it standar and smooth, and nothing, then why put on this tv the option for clearframe when it doesn't work, am i doing somthing wrong?

thanks for you help
post #20 of 140 Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjovi View Post

yes, it is 40ux600u, the problem here is I cannot notice anything, i turn it on and off, set it standard and smooth, and nothing, then why put on this tv the option for clear frame when it doesn't work, am i doing something wrong?

thanks for you help

As I said before the feature is working, it just doesn't give off that Soap Opera Effect like Samsung & SONY give.

You will probably need to use some TEST Disc to see the difference. Here's a link to the AVS HD 709 Calibration Disc. On this Disc there are test patterns you can use to test motion.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Once you burn the disc & test-it, you should be able to see the difference between Clear Frame & Film Stabilization when set to OFF, Standard & Smooth
post #21 of 140 Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Canada Comp. has this Tv for $1099.99

I just recently got a Samy un40c6300 and I'm considering switching it for this Toshiba.

some minuses with my LED:
clouding/flashlights
Off angle viewing is not to my liking
Soap Opera Effect

Going to go check out the Toshiba in store and see if it's any better.
Primarily want to use the 40UX600U for Blu-Ray movies(PS3) and HD content off my WDTV Media Player.
Can anyone comment on blu-ray play back on this tv?..etc

Thx
post #22 of 140 Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 AM

This is on sale at Amazon for $999 with free shipping right now. I am thinking of pulling the trigger, but I am am planning on doing a fair amount of gaming on it. Has anyone had a chance to test the input lag on these yet?
post #23 of 140 Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM

Hello everyone, new to this forum . I recently just purchased the 46ux600u after exchanging a Sony 46ex501 for this. I really loved that model but had some weird sound problems which couldnt be fixed so here I am. I really like this set but I am wondering if anyone has profesionally calibrated this model yet. Settings out of the box are so so but that is always to be expected. It took me some time to adjust my old set to my liking.
post #24 of 140 Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 PM

I have a question about this set. i have triple checked all my settings so i am wondering if anyone can help. i have my xbox 360 hooked up through component (older 360 no hdmi ) and when i hit info on the tv it shows it displaying 1080p but the format is 4:3. whats up with that? i have everything set to 16:9 in the 360. now my picture doesnt look like it is in a zoom mode looks 16:9 just wondering if this is the tv.
thank you
post #25 of 140 Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr6 View Post

I have a question about this set. i have triple checked all my settings so i am wondering if anyone can help. i have my xbox 360 hooked up through component (older 360 no hdmi ) and when i hit info on the tv it shows it displaying 1080p but the format is 4:3. whats up with that? i have everything set to 16:9 in the 360. now my picture doesnt look like it is in a zoom mode looks 16:9 just wondering if this is the tv.
thank you

You should have a button on the TV Remote called Pic Size. Hit that button & set the TV to NATIVE. You should be good to go from there
post #26 of 140 Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM

bfj96
thank you for the response. i will have to look into that and see if that helps. by the way do you have this set and if so what do you think of it?
post #27 of 140 Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

here's a silly question:
my old wall mount screws don't fit this set(46ux600u) and the toshiba help line wouldn't give them to me saying i needed a new mount. my old lcd was about 40 pounds heavier so i'm not concerned about the weight, but i was curious if anyone knows what size screw/thread are required to mount this set. i guessed early that it was 5/16-24 or 5/16-18 but both screw in about 1.5 revolutions and stop.
thanks in advance if you do know.

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #28 of 140 Old 10-12-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

found it. M8-1.25 @ 20mm

thanks for all your help!

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #29 of 140 Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM

BFJ96. I Tried switching over to native. the input is still saying 4:3 . i am thinking it is a glitch in the tv.
post #30 of 140 Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 PM

I am in for the 40". Looking forward to seeing this thread develop.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page