Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

You're absolutely right... the last 25 pages of complaints posted by a few repetitive complainers totally negates all the numerous positive reviews out there written by people who review HDTVs for a living

Oh I thought we were done mudslinging for a bit. But anyway, As I said before it does not matter how many positive reviews a set has when you are the one with a faulty unit. It does not matter if said reviewer does it for a living when you are the one with a faulty unit. Why in the later part of this thread do we have blooming discussions when there is barely talk in the beginning.... As I said before maybe the panels are differant now, where did the reviewers get their panels? When did they get them? Did they come hand picked from Vizio? And dont think that any company is above doing something like sending top end hand picked units to reviewers, it happens alot esp in the computer world. But I'm just speculating.

In regards to reboot issues. I have had them on and off but nothing major although I dont really use many of the apps except pandora. There is a whole other thread about the Random Vizio Reboot with quite a few pages of troubleshooting and advice. (Probably what we should of done with the blooming issues as well).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan98 View Post

Can't we all get along? ;-)

Is anyone's blooming WORSE than the videos I've posted in my signature?

I'm no pro or anything, but on my set, it is worse when watching Netflix streams. Watching BD content, I never get the blooming. I also notice more blooming at 45*, but when does anyone watch a TV @ this angle? I also have the TV on a stand that puts eye level @ 1/3 from the bottom. I have a huge U-shaped couch, and the most extreme angel is 30*. The blooming isn't bad @ this angle.

I guess I have to side with the posters that wonder why one would keep a set if they are having so many problems and hate it so much. I've had problems with Sharps and my first 551 Vizio. You bet I returned them after trying to find a fix for a week. I'm not sure, but Josh211, are you the only one left with two sets that hates it so much? I see Guitar returned his and loves his new set. That's great for him. You should so the same and be happy. Life is too short to watch bad TV!
post #3243 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman211 View Post
Oh I thought we were done mudslinging for a bit. But anyway, As I said before it does not matter how many positive reviews a set has when you are the one with a faulty unit. It does not matter if said reviewer does it for a living when you are the one with a faulty unit. Why in the later part of this thread do we have blooming discussions when there is barely talk in the beginning.... As I said before maybe the panels are differant now, where did the reviewers get their panels? When did they get them? Did they come hand picked from Vizio? And dont think that any company is above doing something like sending top end hand picked units to reviewers, it happens alot esp in the computer world. But I'm just speculating.
This is one of the reasons why I mentioned Chad B, the well known ISF calibrator. Do you think he went got a hand picked unit as well?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3244 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
This is one of the reasons why I mentioned Chad B, the well known ISF calibrator. Do you think he went got a hand picked unit as well?
I dont know. No... Probably not. It was just a thought as I mentioned dont turn it into anything more then that.
post #3245 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

joshman211....did you miss this?

Quote:
OK...so you like the TV except for the blooming.

How does your set compare to Sharkfan's videos?
What do you think of Sharkfan's videos?

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3246 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post
I'm no pro or anything, but on my set, it is worse when watching Netflix streams. Watching BD content, I never get the blooming. I also notice more blooming at 45*, but when does anyone watch a TV @ this angle? I also have the TV on a stand that puts eye level @ 1/3 from the bottom. I have a huge U-shaped couch, and the most extreme angel is 30*. The blooming isn't bad @ this angle.

I guess I have to side with the posters that wonder why one would keep a set if they are having so many problems and hate it so much. I've had problems with Sharps and my first 551 Vizio. You bet I returned them after trying to find a fix for a week. I'm not sure, but Josh211, are you the only one left with two sets that hates it so much? I see Guitar returned his and loves his new set. That's great for him. You should so the same and be happy. Life is too short to watch bad TV!

You asked the same question as chang did earlier and it was responded to. Dont go throwing around words like hate when I never said once "I HATE THIS SET!" because I did not. If you go back to my posts and even the pics I posted of the blooming issues. I have said some scenes this set produces and incredible picture when blooming does not exist. Why does blooming not exist on some scenes where it probably should (high contrast on dark background). This is why i think its a firmware issue. But then again I my second set did not have it as bad as the first so that kinda leaves out firmware I would think, but then brings into question the quality of panels and just having luck.

Quote:
I'm no pro or anything, but on my set, it is worse when watching Netflix streams. Watching BD content, I never get the blooming.
I would imagine this has more to do with the content your watching then anything else. All my tests were in Netflix and BD content. I can see it on both but again its alway been the content not the source.
post #3247 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

joshman...have you listed the settings you are using on both sets?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #3248 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Chad hasn't done a full review yet, has he? I've always enjoyed his reviews but I think he has only done a quick peak so far. Or did I miss it?
post #3249 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
Chad hasn't done a full review yet, has he? I've always enjoyed his reviews but I think he has only done a quick peak so far. Or did I miss it?
Not a full on review....just observations while calibrating one.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19829814

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #3250 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
So how many grand total points are you giving the 553 in that comparison table on your site? I want to see where it ranks as per your subjective (but informed) opinion

http://hdtvbychadb.com/reviews.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Thanks, glad to do it!
I'd like to get some time with it in a dark room first so I can get a handle on the haloing and contrast. Though I suspect those things will be very much like the LG LH90 that I'm very familiar with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

I think he's still working on his final review.
post #3251 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSD View Post
Hello,
Wow, you can really get caught up in this thread. LOTS of info and much appreciate all the things that I read. Just like almost everyone of you I am deciding between a couple of different sets but am very close on deciding on getting the 553. Other one is samsung pn58c7000. My question is about the blooming issue and vertical angle.
Even with the comments about blooming I was comfortable in still buying this set, given all the positive reviews. And I do realize that there will be issues with any TV. My concern now is recent comments suggesting that the blooming is at its worst when mounted on the wall and tilted down....which is exactly were mine will be. Mounted about 4 feet up with it being tilted down a bit. So eye level from the couch is about at the bottom of the TV. Am I reading into the comments correctly that blooming may be the worst in this setup? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially from the people that have this type of setup.
Thanks
I made some of the comments you refer to. I just rewatched the scene from "The Gauntlet" that looked horrible before I adjusted the tilt on our wall mount down a few more degrees. While the blooming was still there, it was not particularly objectionable. In fact, I watched the scene from various horizontal (normal) viewing angles and the blooming never became bad. Now if I ducked down, YUCK! So, I think I've determined why there is so much variation in the reported blooming on these sets. It does appear that they may be VERY sensitive to vertical viewing angles with respect to blooming. I believe you will find that if you adjust the tilt such that you are looking down at the vertical plane of the set ever so slightly, you will be ok. At least, that is my current belief. I'm not 100% done playing yet but I'm greatly relieved by this relevation with respect to my set... FWIW
post #3252 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post
After 45 minutes, with only 28 seconds of your video loaded, the video stopped working. So I did not get to see the full production. :-((

Did try though...

Tom
Slow Internet or what? You can change the stream to standard def if that helps.
post #3253 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Okay, I've read literally this entire thread, tried to help some out, etc. I'd like to say I'm in no way a fanboy of this set, and so on. I'm currently almost completely happy with it, and I've only seen blooming once or twice in my entire run using it for almost a month in extreme amounts. Once in Inception in one scene in the beginning for about 25 seconds, and second for about 15 seconds in Blade Runner's opening scenes but it was subtle.

Motion may be a little choppier on mine than on most peoples, but that's a small price to pay for the color, blacks, whites, and so on.

The point I'm getting to is, frankly, I don't need to show you proof. I think its ridiculously insulting for you to even imply any of us are vizio fanboys and are just pretending to not have the issues you are. You're coming to our thread, insulting us, all these different things, then you're surprised when people react sour?

Now please, as others have said, there is a very simple solution. Nobody here can offer any insight into fixing the issues you have. You've tried various settings I assume, and you've tried making the set perpendicular to your eye-line, so please, if you can deal with the blooming, keep it, if you can't, return it. It really is that simple, and I promise, I'm not some exec from vizio demanding you keep your set.

I'm just an honest guy giving my two cents,

-Vader
post #3254 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
Okay, I've read literally this entire thread, tried to help some out, etc. I'd like to say I'm in no way a fanboy of this set, and so on. I'm currently almost completely happy with it, and I've only seen blooming once or twice in my entire run using it for almost a month in extreme amounts. Once in Inception in one scene in the beginning for about 25 seconds, and second for about 15 seconds in Blade Runner's opening scenes but it was subtle.

Motion may be a little choppier on mine than on most peoples, but that's a small price to pay for the color, blacks, whites, and so on.

The point I'm getting to is, frankly, I don't need to show you proof. I think its ridiculously insulting for you to even imply any of us are vizio fanboys and are just pretending to not have the issues you are. You're coming to our thread, insulting us, all these different things, then you're surprised when people react sour?

Now please, as others have said, there is a very simple solution. Nobody here can offer any insight into fixing the issues you have. You've tried various settings I assume, and you've tried making the set perpendicular to your eye-line, so please, if you can deal with the blooming, keep it, if you can't, return it. It really is that simple, and I promise, I'm not some exec from vizio demanding you keep your set.

I'm just an honest guy giving my two cents,

-Vader
I'm coming to our thread? What does that mean? Insulting? What did I say to you? Stop crying nobody was referring to you. The beef between me and the other guy id suspect is over lets move on.
post #3255 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'm coming to our thread? What does that mean? Insulting? What did I say to you? Stop crying nobody was referring to you. The beef between me and the other guy id suspect is over lets move on.
I say our thread under the context of the general users of this television that routinely come in here. This is what I mean, I feel my post was at least respectful, and you're saying inflammatory remarks about me crying and this and that, and you didn't address my main point that everyone else seems to be telling you: if you can stand the blooming, great, if not, return it for either another model, or a different tv in the same range, and if you need help finding one the people on this board are usually more than happy to help.

-Vader
post #3256 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
I say our thread under the context of the general users of this television that routinely come in here. This is what I mean, I feel my post was at least respectful, and you're saying inflammatory remarks about me crying and this and that, and you didn't address my main point that everyone else seems to be telling you: if you can stand the blooming, great, if not, return it for either another model, or a different tv in the same range, and if you need help finding one the people on this board are usually more than happy to help.

-Vader
As it stands until they go back I have both of them. I will continue to stay here like it or not.
post #3257 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The beef between me and the other guy id suspect is over lets move on.
There was never any beef on my end. Your frustration with the TVs, and you not moving on is just odd. I just keep asking questions that you don't want to answer....

Quote:
What do you think of Sharkfan's videos?
Quote:
joshman...have you listed the settings you are using on both sets?
And I will add one more:

What type of vertical angle are you viewing the TV's?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #3258 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
As it stands until they go back I have both of them. I will continue to stay here like it or not.
Hey, all I'm saying is be constructive. You keep posting the same things and getting the same answers. I guess my general question is, why if you have such a problem with the blooming, are you keeping the sets?
post #3259 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
There was never any beef on my end. Your frustration with the TVs, and you not moving on is just odd. I just keep asking questions that you don't want to answer....

And I will add one more:

What type of vertical angle are you viewing the TV's?
Im at work cant see the videos and dont have them in front of me.
post #3260 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie555 View Post
There is a setting that tries to keep your volume level steady (not get louder during commercials, etc...) and it works very poorly IMHO. It seems to take silent or quiet scenes and set that as the baseline and then when people start talking again you can't hear them at all.
I totally agree. It's like this on all my Vizio sets bought in the last 3 years. I espicially wanted this for the bedroom but it makes it worse. People talking go from a whisper quiet to the next scene with music and noise blasting. There are scenes that get so quiet I can't even hear them. My 4 year old 52" Vizio worked fine but from then on something is messed up. My 37", 42" and 55" don't work correctly.
post #3261 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Im at work cant see the videos and dont have them in front of me.
You have been asking for examples from others, the videos have been posted for 3 days, and you haven't bothered looking at them?

How high is the 553 that is mounted? Do you look up at it when viewing?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #3262 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post
I totally agree. It's like this on all my Vizio sets bought in the last 3 years. I espicially wanted this for the bedroom but it makes it worse. People talking go from a whisper quiet to the next scene with music and noise blasting. There are scenes that get so quiet I can't even hear them. My 4 year old 52" Vizio worked fine but from then on something is messed up. My 37", 42" and 55" don't work correctly.
I think you know this, but just in case:
You CAN shut this setting off.

Your TV will sound "normal", but yeah, you won't get the benefit you were looking for on nighttime viewing in a bedroom set.

I have seen this behavior on both my set and a friends Vizio that is a totally different model.
post #3263 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan98 View Post
Slow Internet or what? You can change the stream to standard def if that helps.
Yeah, dial-up at 24K. Thanks, I'll try the SD version.

I guess I need to purchase "The Gauntlet". Will the DVD version complement what y'all are doing?

Tom
post #3264 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
You have been asking for examples from others, the videos have been posted for 3 days, and you haven't bothered looking at them?

How high is the 553 that is mounted? Do you look up at it when viewing?
Just got a call and they are picking them up tonight. Thanks for those who helped and the rest of the vizio fan boys can p*** off (ronin the stars are for you buddy!).

Buyer beware on this tv if your new to this thread. Watching dark movies is pretty much impossible because of the blooming. Dont bother reporting the issue as you will be attacked by ravenous vizio fan boys who dont want you to tell the truth. They will accuse you of having defective eye balls, faulty wiring, watching the tv incorrectly, all while claiming they have no problem. But in reality they do have the problem.

They got a good deal on the tv and you cant blame them for wanting to defend their hard earned sub $2k expense. It wouldnt matter if the tv displayed people upside down they would still defend it to the death.

Anyway I bid you adieu and wont be visiting this thread anymore. That should make you fan boys all so happy.
post #3265 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Just got a call and they are picking them up tonight. Thanks for those who helped and the rest of the vizio fan boys can p*** off (ronin the stars are for you buddy!).

Buyer beware on this tv if your new to this thread. Watching dark movies is pretty much impossible because of the blooming. Dont bother reporting the issue as you will be attacked by ravenous vizio fan boys who dont want you to tell the truth. They will accuse you of having defective eye balls, faulty wiring, watching the tv incorrectly, all while claiming they have no problem. But in reality they do have the problem.

They got a good deal on the tv and you cant blame them for wanting to defend their hard earned sub $2k expense. It wouldnt matter if the tv displayed people upside down they would still defend it to the death.

Anyway I bid you adieu and wont be visiting this thread anymore. That should make you fan boys all so happy.
See ya! You were really looking for help and didn't look at Sharkfan's videos.

I'll bet you will be back in some form or another.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #3266 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:

snip ...
And just when I was going to get into the pissing game... :-))

Originally Posted by joshman211, post 3112
Tom, I think you mentioned that you have no blooming? As with the others that have no blooming or minimal at best. I want what you guys have. My pics show blooming, you guys say none exist in your sets. Thats what I want. Want to trade sets?"

Quote post 3114:
Feel for you buddy, but come on over a see one for yourself. :-))

Then, ASAP, you'd call Vizio Tech at 1-877-698-4946 and tell them your problem and for them to fix it! Be sure to get your case number. And tell them there might be a chunk of them out here like yours. Point them to this thread and the blooming pictures.

Seriously... Good luck!

All this blooming problems and not involving Vizio has always been puzzling to me?

Tom
post #3267 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post
All this blooming problems and not involving Vizio has always been puzzling to me?
Many puzzling comments by joshman211 (and RX7_dude) and non-action.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #3268 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
See ya! You were really looking for help and didn't look at Sharkfan's videos.

I'll bet you will be back in some form or another.
And he never answered your questions about how high his TV was. (Maybe he had it mounted on his ceiling or something and was too embarrassed to tell us )
post #3269 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And he never answered your questions about how high his TV was. (Maybe he had it mounted on his ceiling or something and was too embarrassed to tell us )
If he wasn't a troll or negative marketer, then he has some other problems than the TV's.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #3270 of 4753 Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Anyway I bid you adieu and wont be visiting this thread anymore.
Come on dude, you said that yesterday ...

Quote:
I'm done with this thread though.
... and yet you came back and posted even more swill.

And I know you're still reading this, Joshie-boy
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page