Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You should also find out what types of speeds you are getting on your computer as well:
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

My computer download speeds vary greatly for some reason.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme router, and on my wife's Mac laptop, I am getting ridiculous wireless speeds of 35 mbps consistently on this test site:
http://speedtest.net/

But on my Fujitsu Windows laptop and my desktop Windows PC, I am getting around 10 mbps wirelessly.

EDIT: wired connection on the Windows laptop is around 20 mbps (did not test wired connection on my other computers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

My computer download speeds vary greatly for some reason.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme router, and on my wife's Mac laptop, I am getting ridiculous wireless speeds of 35 mbps consistently on this test site:
http://speedtest.net/

But on my Fujitsu Windows laptop and my desktop Windows PC, I am getting around 10 mbps wirelessly.

How about wired?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3333 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

How about wired?

I've only tested wired once on my Windows laptop, and I think it was around 20 mbps.

The thing I noticed about the Vizio speed test is that it is a very short test (like, 2 seconds), so the accuracy of the speed it gives you may not be that good. A longer, larger download test would probably have given a better indication of the actual speed.
post #3334 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Liked: 10
I have had my set for a couple months. Recently, it will start to flicker like a light bulb does before it blows, then it reboots with a flashing Vizio logo. Has been doing this once a day or so. Anyone else have this problem and had it fixed by Vizio?
post #3335 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to manually check for firmware updates for the TV or does it just happen by random? I got a message today that an update was available but my internet happened to be down at the time so I'm not exactly sure if the update went thru or not. Is there even a way to check which firmware version the TV is running?
post #3336 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanjc View Post

Does anyone know if there's a way to manually check for firmware updates for the TV or does it just happen by random? I got a message today that an update was available but my internet happened to be down at the time so I'm not exactly sure if the update went thru or not. Is there even a way to check which firmware version the TV is running?

Seems to be random. Here is my chat with Vizio:

Quote:

Me: Is the updating all random regardless of when you bought your TV?

Vizio: Yes, it is sent out in random order we try to get sent to everyone as fast as possible, but the server can only go so fast, it may take a couple days for you to get.

Me: How does the Vizio server know which TVs to send to? Or does my TV automatically check the server every once in a while? Also, do I need to register my TV... in order for the Vizio server to know that it exists?

Vizio: When you get online, it talks to our server- this alerts the server to the firmware you have.
Vizio: You wouldn't need to, but I would recommend it.

Me: So once your server gets the alert to my old firmware, my TV gets into a queue for firmware updating? ... or something like that?

Vizio: exactly.

Me: Why does Vizio not allow users to manually download firmware from Vizio website, or to manually check and download straight from TV?

Vizio: I think they do not have download available because of the different types of tvs offered have different updates and we do not want updates going to wrong systems and having more issues.

You can check your firmware under the System Info menu item, I think. I'm not in front of my TV. It's the last menu item in the bottom right square, out of the 9 squares.
post #3337 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I was curious about my 553's download speed and tested both wired and wireless speeds last night (under the "Network" menu item).

Wired connection:
~ 10,500 kb/sec (average of 5 tests)

Wireless connection:
~ 5,800 kb/sec (average of 5 tests)

I am assuming the "kb/sec" displayed by Vizio is "kilobits per second", which works out to 10.5 mbps and 5.8 mbps, in regular internet jargon.

This is with Cox cable internet in the San Diego area. My router is very close to my TV, so going wired is not a problem for me.

What kind of speeds are you guys getting?

I get 11,800 wired and 9,000 wireless with my router set to Wireless "N" and with it set for only "G" connections it's 6,650. I tested this quite a few times and the numbers were always similar, so it seems that those using 802.11G might see slower speeds than people using 802.11N. Wired has shown to be a little faster than wireless ("N") for me every time. We regularly use wired ethernet for the TV as we have a ethernet drop right next to the cable outlet in the family room.
post #3338 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliem View Post

Thanks to all for your responses regarding this issue. So I wanted to follow-up and let everyone know the resolution. I went back to Costco and talked to the guy at the Returns desk, and as grpape alludes to above, he explained that the likeliest scenario is that someone returned the unit and lied about never having used it, so Costco simply placed the unit back on the shelf. Unfortunately, he claims he had no way of looking up the history of the set, although he indicated that it must have been a return and not a display unit.

Anyway, the clerk's initial solution was to simply have us return the unit and exchange it for a new one. However, I explained that I didn't really have the means do that (since my original transportation vehicle was only available for the weekend). Further, I mentioned that I was actually willing to keep the set (since it didn't appear to have any issues), but I was unwilling to pay full price for a used item that was advertised as new. So the clerk brought his manager into the conversation. After explaining the situation, the manager said he'd be willing to give me a discount. He said the best he could do was to give me the discount offered for display units, which was 20% (in my case, that worked out to $330). I'm not sure whether grpape considers 20% as being not very much of a markdown, but it seemed pretty reasonable to me, so I decided to take him up on the offer. I also verified that I'm still covered by the 90-day return policy and 2-year warranty. So all in all, I'm very happy that Costco was willing to work with me to come up with what I felt was a reasonable resolution to this issue.

Now I'm off to play with my slightly-used new toy some more and verify that there really isn't anything wrong with it.

Again, thanks to all for the feedback!

The mark downs I usually see are about 10% (display models). So to me, all the hours at torch levels aren't worth the 10% off of any unit. It's just me, but, I like to get new things (I know if it breaks, it's my fault). Your set was probably just a return with not many hours on it (I would figure the most it could have is 900 before the 90 day return period). I personally would take a new set, but that's me (I tend to break a lot of things).

I just got a Pio 1120 AVR and the component (G,B,R) doesn't work (not such a big deal because it's only used for my kids playing Wii). Amazon gave me 30% off which I accepted. They also cracked the base of my RC 50 speaker and also gave me 30%. The only way I agreed to take the 30% instead of a new unit, is because I live in Hawaii and the UPS guys like to damage my stuff in transit (twice returned, twice damaged). It seemed like a lot of units and shipping would be wasted, and this was the best scenario for both parties.

Anyway. Enjoy your set. And if anything comes up, just return it for a new one.
post #3339 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNoob View Post

Thanks Caw. Trying to decide to wait until right before or after the SuperBowl to buy this tv. But, if it isn't going to on sale, I might as well buy it now.

One more question: HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 with this tv? Does it matter since it isn't 3D or would the 1.4 cables work better because of the 240Hz?

Just buy it! As others have said, if it goes on sale within a 30 day window period they refund you the difference. If it goes on sale within the 90 day return period, you could talk to the manager and see if he/she will refund you the difference instead of returning the set and purchasing a new one at the cheaper price. I personally have read people saying they're gonna do this and the manager realizes that it's a silly policy and agrees to the difference.
post #3340 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

I have had my set for a couple months. Recently, it will start to flicker like a light bulb does before it blows, then it reboots with a flashing Vizio logo. Has been doing this once a day or so. Anyone else have this problem and had it fixed by Vizio?

I assume when the VIZIO Logo is flashing, it going from ORANGE to WHITE? If it is, that is the "Watch Dog" software in action. ie: "When the Vizio Logo flashes between ORANGE to WHITE, it’s simply scanning file systems and preparing to be powered on. ( basically the system polls itself to insure it has not crashed / gotten to a state where the user can do nothing ) Ideally if the aforementioned were to occur, the system would power itself off, "Vizio Logo" would flash ORANGE to WHITE for up to 5 minutes, then power itself back on."

But to the bigger problem - I have been on this thread since August and do not remember any reports like yours. It sounds like it is something breaking down and a call to Vizio support is in order. 1-877-698-4946

The only thing I can think of that you could check out yourself, and that might be the problem, is a loose power cord or electrical connection (voltage drops/spikes), as it would cause a similar condition. Vizio would first have you check this out as well.

Hope all goes well.

Tom

ps: please keep us informed of your progress.
post #3341 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Seems to be random. Here is my chat with Vizio:

[/b]

You can check your firmware under the System Info menu item, I think. I'm not in front of my TV. It's the last menu item in the bottom right square, out of the 9 squares.

Thanks. So apparently I have version C1.2.22_RC1. Is that the latest?
post #3342 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks. So apparently I have version C1.2.22_RC1. Is that the latest?

That is not the latest (I believe the latest is something like VIZIO_C3.2.3_RC3). Remember, updates are performed only when the set is turned off and your set is online. So your best bet is when you wake up the next day you should get that screen again stating that you have an update available.
post #3343 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Well just ordered my 553 tonite from Sam's Club. Thanks to everyone in this thread for sharing their experiences and making this decision a little easier and very informed. I'll update with my experience and any problems or concerns I have. Delivery window so far is between this Friday and next, hopefully sooner than later.
post #3344 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpw16 View Post

That is not the latest (I believe the latest is something like VIZIO_C3.2.3_RC3). Remember, updates are performed only when the set is turned off and your set is online. So your best bet is when you wake up the next day you should get that screen again stating that you have an update available.

Ok, thanks.
post #3345 of 4753 Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 PM

Check out Sam's Club, I got the XVT553SV for very good price with about 700hrs. Keep checking online in stores in your area.
post #3346 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM

I guess the only way I'll ever get an update is to wait until DSL is available at my house.

That's assuming I'm still using the Vizio by that time and not watching thru a microchip implanted in my skull.
post #3347 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 AM

Follow up. Contacted Vizio via the website, rec'd email back to:

1) Turn TV Off
2) Unplug
3) Hold Power Button in for 30 seconds
4) Plug TV into different outlet
5) Turn TV Back On
6) Recommended resetting the TV settings (under the help screen.. resets all Audio and Video settings)

Did the above and so far, the volume is totally normal.. if something changes, I'll post.. Only had on for 3 hours. Fingers crossed.

What sucks is I need to reset all the picture settings. Next time, I'll have to write them all down..

JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post

Yep, tried that.. Had football on yesterday, running through the receiver.. turned the receiver off and volume on TV up to 100.. nada... silent.... turned it back down to 20, turned TV off, then on and it works again.

Good thing I saved my box. Just a pain to return it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JK

post #3348 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Reda View Post

Well I just stumbled on something random...I went down in the man cave and the TV was on (553) with the "no signal" box in the middle. Thing is, that TV was off a few days ago and I haven't used it since, so not sure what's up. And it's not remotely connected to the internet so that can't be it.

To quote myself here...

This happened AGAIN! I got home last night to find a mysterious glow coming from underneath the door in the man cave. Sure enough, I open the door and the TV is on yet again, but this time (unlike last time quoted above), the screen is blue and displaying "480P." Not sure how/why this thing is randomly turning on but it's starting to become bothersome.
post #3349 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

To quote myself here...

This happened AGAIN! I got home last night to find a mysterious glow coming from underneath the door in the man cave. Sure enough, I open the door and the TV is on yet again, but this time (unlike last time quoted above), the screen is blue and displaying "480P." Not sure how/why this thing is randomly turning on but it's starting to become bothersome.

My sister was having this problem with her Vizio - it would randomly turn on by itself. I believe the problem was that her wireless internet connection was weak and the firmware update would fail, somehow causing her TV to come on. I moved her router to a closer location and then once she got her firmware update, her TV no longer attempted to turn on by itself. This was the first firmware update (I think it was C1.2.22_RC1) - she finally got that update around Thanksgiving.

She just got the latest update last week.
post #3350 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzonice View Post

My sister was having this problem with her Vizio - it would randomly turn on by itself. I believe the problem was that her wireless internet connection was weak and the firmware update would fail, somehow causing her TV to come on. I moved her router to a closer location and then once she got her firmware update, her TV no longer attempted to turn on by itself. This was the first firmware update (I think it was C1.2.22_RC1) - she finally got that update around Thanksgiving.

She just got the latest update last week.

Despite trying to hook it up when I first got it, my TV is not hooked up to the interwebz (per my quoted OP).
post #3351 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Despite trying to hook it up when I first got it, my TV is not hooked up to the interwebz (per my quoted OP).

OK then perhaps it's just that the updated firmware fixed her problem. Maybe you can contact Vizio support and see if there's any way for you to get the updated firmware without the internet. All I know is her TV had turned on by itself about a dozen times for almost 2 months. And since her firmware update in late November, that has not happened.
post #3352 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzonice View Post

OK then perhaps it's just that the updated firmware fixed her problem. Maybe you can contact Vizio support and see if there's any way for you to get the updated firmware without the internet. All I know is her TV had turned on by itself about a dozen times for almost 2 months. And since her firmware update in late November, that has not happened.

This has happened twice in the past several weeks but in the first case, it displayed the "no signal" box in the center of an all black screen. This time, it was an all blue background with the signal information being displayed at the top right. I'm going to check my firmware version when I get home, maybe it "said" that it didn't connect to the web but actually did?
post #3353 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:

To quote myself here...

Could a neighbor have the same remote code?

Just a thought

Randy
post #3354 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerandy View Post

Could a neighbor have the same remote code?

Just a thought

Randy

Doubt it, the set is on the first floor (behind the garage) of a townhome in a pseudo-basement "flex" bedroom. We have another Vizio in the house but it's rarely ever used.
post #3355 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

What firmware revision is on your TV? ( Bring up the TV OSD, go to Help> System Info, Version:

Also, none of the "no signal" type screens on these sets are blue screens. Sounds like thats coming from whatever source you are connected to.

call vizio tech support and explain the situation and they will likely send you new firmware.
post #3356 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboRUSH View Post
What firmware revision is on your TV? ( Bring up the TV OSD, go to Help> System Info, Version:

Also, none of the "no signal" type screens on these sets are blue screens. Sounds like thats coming from whatever source you are connected to.

call vizio tech support and explain the situation and they will likely send you new firmware.
Agreed, strange indeed as I've seen both the "no signal" message box with a black background and the TV input info at the top right in black on a blue background.

FW Version is: C1.2.12_RC2
post #3357 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Ok, so I know the release date hasn't been released yet, but would it be safe to say the 2011 Vizio TVs will be released within the next 90 days? It'd be nice if I could have the option of returning my XVT3SV in case the 2011 models are vastly improved.
post #3358 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Ok, so I know the release date hasn't been released yet, but would it be safe to say the 2011 Vizio TVs will be released within the next 90 days? It'd be nice if I could have the option of returning my XVT3SV in case the 2011 models are vastly improved.

I could swear I heard "summer" somewhere
post #3359 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan98 View Post

I could swear I heard "summer" somewhere

Ah. Bummer.
post #3360 of 4753 Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Xeo

I just bought a XVT423SV from Dell, and it's going to arrive on Friday. I'm really excited despite some of the complaints I'm reading about here. One thing I'm not sure has been clarified is whether or not this thing can play movies off USB flash drives. I was thinking once the USB ports became active, this would be possible. Is it confirmed that's not the case? If so, that's really a bummer. Also, I assume there's no way to wirelessly connect to my computer and just stream things from there, is there?

Is my only option to play movie files from my computer to hookup my xbox to it and stream them through that?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page