Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4753 Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post

Tom, thanks for sharing the link. While the review bursted my bubble a bit, it really seems as if they put it through the ringer. I'm wondering about their comment saying that the screen is reflective. I've read elsewhere that it has a matte finish. One of the reasons I want to replace my plasma is the room it's going in is very bright and it makes it hard to watch TV during the day. Can someone please comment on the review's reflection comment and whether or not you agree? Thanks!

Vizios have matte finished screens. I wouldn't trust any reviewer who said the screen was too reflective. Or anyone who tests black levels with smart dimming off. What would be the point of testing an LED model with the dimming off?

Even Vizio's ordinary CCFLs have good blacks---certainly not poor. What's the reviewer talking about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4753 Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanp View Post

It's also odd that the televisioninfo review set the backlight to 100 and has no mention of cutting the color down slightly as in the AVguide review. I think tvinfo is trying to get a set of measured numbers, NOT the best looking picture..

Backlight should never be set to 100. In fact, CNET recommends setting the backlight as low as possible.

Also, some people here are confusing "auto-dimming" with "smart dimming." They are not the same. Auto-dimming refers to raising or lowering the entire backlight setting to give the artificial impression of better blacks for ordinary CCFL sets. In Vizio's CCFL models, this setting is called DCR (for adjustable Dynamic Contrast Ratio) in the Advanced backlight setting. (You get better blacks but lose shadow details almost completely.)

As I recommended before, go out and see a movie in a theater. The blacks are terrible! They are no better than the LCD sets of three or four years ago! See for yourselves.
post #363 of 4753 Old 08-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanostream View Post

I've had good luck with a senior person at Vizio who brought my technical questions directly to an engineer and responded quickly (and honestly) about the specs on the set. The company's request to snail mail the letter to headquarters is inappropriate. I've left a message with him about your letter and inability to get hard answers promptly. Let's see what happens.

nanostream, thanks

This will be most helpful.
post #364 of 4753 Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 PM

Tom wrote:
Funny story: The cc'ing of the letter to amazon.com prompted them to arrange for the pick up of the units. I got an e-mail from them a hour ago giving a tracking number and who the pick-up company is, and they would be out in a few days to pick them up. A quick call to amazon.com stopped this action and extended the 30 day return policy in hopes that vizio responds.

Tom,

Are you returning your TV? If so, why are you returning?

Thanks.
post #365 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have several Sam's clubs in my area. just called them and they stated that the 553 is listed as a "deleted" item, meaning they don't have any and don't have any on order. What's up with that? Did they put a hold on them to sell the other TVs?
post #366 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacam View Post

I have several Sam's clubs in my area. just called them and they stated that the 553 is listed as a "deleted" item, meaning they don't have any and don't have any on order. What's up with that? Did they put a hold on them to sell the other TVs?

Call back tomorrow and you will probably get different answer. Similar things have been reported with Amazon and the Costco going all the way back to the 551. Since they are a new release and supply seems to be lagging behind demand for right now, availibility will be all over the board. In person as opposed to over the phone may be the best option for a correct answer to availibility.
post #367 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute584 View Post

Tom,

Are you returning your TV? If so, why are you returning?

Thanks.

absolute584,

Well, not yet anyway. We really like how the 553's work as a TV, but I am concerned about our future uses for this multifunctional device. That is what lead to writing the vizio letter. page 11, post #323

"12) BUT: We "pre-ordered" these units from Amazon.com on 07/24/10 thinking we would have resolved these issues before Amazon.com had them in for shipping, late August. But much to our surprise, the units shipped on 07/27/10 and arrived on 08/03/10. It is not to late for us to return them to Amazon.com for a full refund." (from page 11, post #323) In other words, if vizio had not resolved our concerns, we would cancel our order before amazon.com shipped late Aug, which is about now.

We have been trying to get some resolution from vizio since the middle of July, weighting on waiting for the 3D554, or purchasing the soon to be released 553. We decided we do not need 3D, so went for the 553. And that is when the discrepancies and/or errors really began to shine as we began planning on the uses for the 553.

I thought, as concerned consumer, we are being helpful pointing out these discrepancies and/or errors. A reputable company, one would think, would be eager for such feedback/critique , since their internal operations did not catch them before going public with it. We feel sure there are other discrepancies and/or errors and concerns but these are the ones, we as lay people, can determine.

We would also like to think some of our concerns are some of y'alls concerns.

But enough of my rattling. It is in vizios ballpark now. If they do not respond, then the units go back. I have no other units in mind as we have been planning on vizio's for the last couple of years.

Hope this helps in understanding our position.

Tom
post #368 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 AM

What some of you have been waiting for ...

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...hreadID=407007
post #369 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkasten View Post

I've had a standalone VUDU box for some time and am ready for a new TV. I held off buying the XVT552SV because VUDU themselves said Dolby 5.1 wasn't supported for their movies on the 552 and a number of 552 owners commented that 5.1 actually wasn't output for any of the 552's internet apps. Is this true for the new 553? Thanks.

I'm still trying to determine if the 553 supports Dolby 5.1 on the internet apps - especially VUDU. Netflix only supports stereo on their streamed movies but VUDU is capable of 1080p and Dolby 5.1. Vizio claimed there would be a firmware upgrade on the 552 to support their advertised capabilities but never did so. I'm worried about the 553 and, for that matter, Vizio in general as a trustworthy company.

1) Promised but never delivered Dolby 5.1 VUDU on previous generation XVT552SV.
2) Includes 3 USB ports on XVT553SV but they don't function.
3) Claims nonexistent Bluetooth support for headphones. Promises firmware upgrade (see #1 above).
post #370 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post

absolute584,

Well, not yet anyway. We really like how the 553's work as a TV, but I am concerned about our future uses for this multifunctional device. That is what lead to writing the vizio letter. page 11, post #323

"12) BUT: We "pre-ordered" these units from Amazon.com on 07/24/10 thinking we would have resolved these issues before Amazon.com had them in for shipping, late August. But much to our surprise, the units shipped on 07/27/10 and arrived on 08/03/10. It is not to late for us to return them to Amazon.com for a full refund." (from page 11, post #323) In other words, if vizio had not resolved our concerns, we would cancel our order before amazon.com shipped late Aug, which is about now.

We have been trying to get some resolution from vizio since the middle of July, weighting on waiting for the 3D554, or purchasing the soon to be released 553. We decided we do not need 3D, so went for the 553. And that is when the discrepancies and/or errors really began to shine as we began planning on the uses for the 553.

I thought, as concerned consumer, we are being helpful pointing out these discrepancies and/or errors. A reputable company, one would think, would be eager for such feedback/critique , since their internal operations did not catch them before going public with it. We feel sure there are other discrepancies and/or errors and concerns but these are the ones, we as lay people, can determine.

We would also like to think some of our concerns are some of y'alls concerns.

But enough of my rattling. It is in vizios ballpark now. If they do not respond, then the units go back. I have no other units in mind as we have been planning on vizio's for the last couple of years.

Hope this helps in understanding our position.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for clarifying your position for me. I was worried that I missed something on the board. Your letter to Vizio is very helpful to me and surely for others. This TV has been great so far. The most important aspect to me is the picture quality which it is delivering. I don't use my TV like the other folks in here so do not mind as much with the promised multi-function features that do not work now. Hopefully the Vizio warranty will resolve these issues for those like myself who may want to use them in the future.

The only issue that I've had so far is a lag of sound / dialog that did not match with the lips. While watching a TV show, I noticed an actor talking but could not hear anything. About a second later, his words came through the speaker. This worried me and I have been watching this closely. On the bright side, it has only happened once.

Once again, your feedback is greatly appreciated and you can rattle to me any time!

Thanks!
post #371 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really wish Vizio would produce an updated version of the 551 in the 553 mode. I don't need the extra - and so far not really ready for prime time - extras as my HTPC provides most of those in a far better way. So I'd love to see the improved picture quality of the 553, better styling and somewhat thinner case WITHOUT all the extra network and USB stuff. But as these probably don't cost Vizio much, if anything to include, it's unlikely that they'll be selling such sets.

I wonder how much Vizio gets from VUDU, Netflix and such for having their content built into the set? Probably more than the minimal cost of the additional circuitry and application programming..
post #372 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:28:12 AM PD

http://www.vizio.com/news/SuperiorTe...andardforHDTVs

Details of the units in the announcement is not improving my situation with vizio any. ie: HDMI was 1.4 - now 1.3, and I get the funny feeling there are two 473's, one with 80 zones for 1,569 MSRP and one with 160 zones for 1,799 MSRP.
post #373 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What some of you have been waiting for ...

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...hreadID=407007

Cool! Hopefully the review itself is not far behind.

Except for the backlight which I had set on 27 based on the 552 review, using Spears & Munsil blu-ray disc, the settings are about right on the money.

I am extremely happy with this set. My main concern with any display device is PQ and this set has it.

The widgets and internet connectivity are secondary to me and considered a bonus.....I watched "24 - season 7 (couple of episodes) last night and it played flawlessly.

This set is a keeper so far.
post #374 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:28:12 AM PD

http://www.vizio.com/news/SuperiorTe...andardforHDTVs

Details of the units in the announcement is not improving my situation with vizio any. ie: HDMI was 1.4 - now 1.3, and I get the funny feeling there are two 473's, one with 80 zones for 1,569 MSRP and one with 160 zones for 1,799 MSRP.

Tom.......yes, there are discrepancies in some of the specs on these sets and clarification would be great.

Hopefully someone will be able to pull the required information from them.

In the meantime, I just watched Hawaii defeat new Jersey in the Little Leaque World series and the PQ was outstanding!

Enjoying my 553!
post #375 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Tom.......yes, there are discrepancies in some of the specs on these sets and clarification would be great.

Hopefully someone will be able to pull the required information from them.

In the meantime, I just watched Hawaii defeat new Jersey in the Little Leaque World series and the PQ was outstanding!

Enjoying my 553!

cawgijoe,

Now I know how the game ended! I watched some of the game and the PQ was awesome with OTA 1080i. My wife likes football and she enjoyed the Cowboy game last night with the TV set on football verses standard, also OTA 1080i. Of course she only uses the TEK PAL remote, you know the one that just has on/off, channels up/down and volume up/down - with big buttons and really back-lit. So I get to set up the fun stuff for her for now.

Glad you found the cnet stuff handy. It reads at the top for MOVIES. Would one use these settings for just movies or for anything else?

Been playing with the set-up some, but have not been able to change the backlight level. The selector skips over the selection for backlight no matter what I have done. Let know how it is done.
post #376 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute584 View Post

Tom,

-- SNIP --

The only issue that I've had so far is a lag of sound / dialog that did not match with the lips. While watching a TV show, I noticed an actor talking but could not hear anything. About a second later, his words came through the speaker. This worried me and I have been watching this closely. On the bright side, it has only happened once.

Once again, your feedback is greatly appreciated and you can rattle to me any time!

Thanks!

absolute584

From the manual, AUDIO, page 40 -

"Lip Sync
Lip Sync is designed to adjust the audio of the program being viewed so that it matches the movement of the lips of someone talking on the screen."

I am waiting to see if a channel we receive will be doing the lip out of sync stuff on this TV. It was really bad with the digital to analog converter or maybe it was the TV station causing it. Have not seen this problem yet. If we do, lets hope the Lip Sync works.
post #377 of 4753 Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cawgijoe,

Now I know how the game ended! I watched some of the game and the PQ was awesome with OTA 1080i. My wife likes football and she enjoyed the Cowboy game last night with the TV set on football verses standard, also OTA 1080i. Of course she only uses the TEK PAL remote, you know the one that just has on/off, channels up/down and volume up/down - with big buttons and really back-lit. So I get to set up the fun stuff for her for now.

Glad you found the cnet stuff handy. It reads at the top for MOVIES. Would one use these settings for just movies or for anything else?

Been playing with the set-up some, but have not been able to change the backlight level. The selector skips over the selection for backlight no matter what I have done. Let know how it is done.

You have to turn off the ambient light sensor. You will then be able to change the backlight setting.

I put all my inputs on "movie" mode and the used the Cnet settings. I had previously used the Spears & Munsil blu-ray setup disc and most of the settings from Cnet were very close. I did set the smooth motion to "smooth" and not "off". I also set the real cinema mode to "low".

The settings look great!
post #378 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 AM

Has anyone tested the input lag on this series? The TV looks great, but the ~60ms lag on the earlier model SV472XVT has me worried. I play many games, so I absolutely despise input lag.

SV472XVT lag shown on AVS forum: 72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233747
post #379 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 AM

My cabinet opening can fit a TV with a width of no more than 51.5". The 551 and the 552 would just fit but for some reason the 553 is over 52" wide.

Since I can't fit the 553, should I look for someone that's still got a 552 in stock or are the 1080-24p problems someone mentioned enough to look at another brand. I want the full array LED that these Visio models have, but I can't use the 553.

GB
post #380 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobrick View Post

My cabinet opening can fit a TV with a width of no more than 51.5". The 551 and the 552 would just fit but for some reason the 553 is over 52" wide.

Since I can't fit the 553, should I look for someone that's still got a 552 in stock or are the 1080-24p problems someone mentioned enough to look at another brand. I want the full array LED that these Visio models have, but I can't use the 553.

I have a friend with a 551 and another with a 552......both are extremely happy. I don't personally think the 1080-24p issues would stop me if I really needed one to fit in a cabinet. If you can find the 551, you may be able to save some money and just use a blu-ray player for internet widgets.
post #381 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks, So far I only saw a display model of a 552 at a local costco. Their price for a display model was only about $100 less then what you'd expect to pay for a new one. Not a good deal at all.

GB
post #382 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

absolute584

From the manual, AUDIO, page 40 -

"Lip Sync
Lip Sync is designed to adjust the audio of the program being viewed so that it matches the movement of the lips of someone talking on the screen."

I am waiting to see if a channel we receive will be doing the lip out of sync stuff on this TV. It was really bad with the digital to analog converter or maybe it was the TV station causing it. Have not seen this problem yet. If we do, lets hope the Lip Sync works.

Thanks for the pointer Tom. The settings are 0-3 and have yet to test because it has not been an issue for me again. This is great to know if it does so I can test if it really works.
post #383 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Just bought mine yesterday from CostCo. Upgraded from a Samsung LNT4665F.

Initial impressions are very, very positive.

Will follow up on gaming when I can, but I do want to note that with factory defaults, I got some horrible artifacting and moire from the opening IMAX sequence in The Dark Knight (the first thing I popped in to test).

Once I turned off Smooth Motion Effect and Real Cinema Mode - as well as switched 1080/24 on my PS3 from "automatic" to "on" - the problem went away.
post #384 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The cnet review is up! Excellent review

http://reviews.cnet.com/search-resul...1.2;riverPost2

8 9 8

Check it out.
post #385 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Being an LCD and especially a Vizio, that review is pretty high praise coming from Katzmaier.
post #386 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

You have to turn off the ambient light sensor. You will then be able to change the backlight setting.

I put all my inputs on "movie" mode and the used the Cnet settings. I had previously used the Spears & Munsil blu-ray setup disc and most of the settings from Cnet were very close. I did set the smooth motion to "smooth" and not "off". I also set the real cinema mode to "low".

The settings look great!

That did the trick! Put in the cnet settings and your suggestions to work. The 49'ner vs Vikings game looks excellent. The main difference noticed was the watts went up about 15 watts with the ambient light sensor turned off. Watts were 55 "ON" and 70 "OFF."

I have not had the time to check out the accuracy of the UPS Watts Meter yet, but feel they are close, at least with an increase or decrease in load.

Both of our sets each have the same model CyperPower 1000LCDAVR UPS and indicate consistently the same values on each set, or as expected with both sets in bright day light with ambient light sensor turned "ON." With both sets on the same channel at 1080i, the one in brightest daylight area has reached about 150 watts in the brightest part of the day, while the other set was about 90 watts in a the less lit daylight room, at the peak sun light of the day. At night time, both sets have been at around 60 watts with the ambient light sensor turned "ON."

I sure hope the wattage's are correct, as these units peak wattage's added to together are lower than one of our old CRT TVs. It says a lot about the initiative the reduce power consumption of TV's. Will let you know shortly about the accuracy of the UPS as I have a volt/amp/watt/power factor meter with a 99.5% accuracy.
post #387 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM

What's the speed switching between HDMI inputs on this set? I'm looking to buy it, and our current JVC D-ILA set has a lag switching inputs, so I have everything routed through the receiver, and only one HDMI cable going to the TV.

Curious if there's any annoying lag when switching inputs!

post #388 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks for y'alls help. Will post if and when VIZIO responds. :-)

Dear VIZIO:

Subject, Model Number: XVT553SV

Case Number: XXXXXXX

Serial Numbers: XXXXXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXXX

For others and my own information, would you please address the following discrepancies and/or errors in your specifications in both the Manual and Website for your Model XVT553SV:

1) Energy Star 4 rated: VIZIO's website and the manual's info reads 225 watts, but Energy Star 4 Calculations indicate 178 max for this size screen (1,276 sq in) in order to be Energy Star 4 Rated? I believe the same question can be asked of the XVT473SV and XVT423SV.

2) The bolt size for mounting this unit: Manual & Website - M8 x 16 mm x 0.7 mm pitch. After visiting 2 different hardware stores, the actual pitch turns out to be 1.25 mm. It is hot here where I live, and this made it a little hotter! And what torque value should these bolts be tightened to? Chat.Vizio Tech did not find the correct size.

3) Lamp life on the website now reads 50,000 hours? This was changed from 30,000 hours, on about 7/18/10, after I had called and asked about this as compared to the 552 at 40,000 hours. website note - the 473 and the 423 still show 30,000 hours. The Manual reads 30,000 hours for each unit.

4) Speakers in watts: Website - 15, Manual - 10. Same for the 473 and 423. Since we will be dependent on the built in sound system, by the way they sound very good, it will be nice to know what I really have!

Watts are relative, the things that really matter about the speakers are the frequency response of the speakers, and the SPL (Sound pressure level) they can manage. We would like to know this info and the type of speakers that are in these units.

5) USB Ports x 3: Shipping box reads JPEG, Website - (is silent), Manual - Reserved for future functions; Service port for use by a professional service technician. What is correct? If the manual is correct, when will they be functioning?

6) Website: Signal Compatibility: No 1080P, but 1080P is listed in Display Compatibility. Does this mean that 1080P is generated by the TV CPU and not through signals to the TV? The Manual does not address this, just shows it in Features?

7) Manual: HDMI 1.4 (ARC), Insta Port. There are 5 HDMI ports. Are all five 1.4? Are these ports backwards compatible?

8) Weight of the unit: Website; with stand - 77.16 lbs, without - 76.06 lbs. Manual; 55.18 lbs with stand, 51.7 lbs without stand. Gross is the same at both locations at 96.12 lbs.

9) Registration Website does not have this model listed, so I have not been able to register these units through your website.

10) Chat.Vizio Tech does not have this model listed either. Causes confusion for your Tech Support and frustration to us.

11) We really like these TV's.

12) BUT: We "pre-ordered" these units from Amazon.com on 07/24/10 thinking we would have resolved these issues before Amazon.com had them in for shipping, late August. But much to our surprise, the units shipped on 07/27/10 and arrived on 08/03/10. It is not to late for us to return them to Amazon.com for a full refund.

We feel most of the above discrepancies and/or errors are typo's, but in order to make sound buying decisions, we must put TRUST in what the manufacture, VIZIO, says their products has and does.

It is not just the big things, the little things can also destroy a good relationship.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

p.s.: will the XVT3SV series support BlueTooth Stereo Headphones?

E-mail:
Telephone:

cc: Amazon.com

Tom,

I spoke to the previously mentioned helpful manager at Vizio a few moments ago. He's retrieving your letter from the site right now and will send directly to the engineering department. I'm sure returning TV's due to poor communication isn't in anyone's best interest. Hopefully we'll have some answers forthcoming.
post #389 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM

"Unlike most other Internet-enabled TVs, the XVT3 series currently does not offer streaming of your music, photos, and video via a home network (DLNA) or USB stick. Vizio says it will add such functionality in time for the 2010 holiday season." - Cnet

USB by Christmas?
post #390 of 4753 Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanostream View Post

Tom,

I spoke to the previously mentioned helpful manager at Vizio a few moments ago. He's retrieving your letter from the site right now and will send directly to the engineering department. I'm sure returning TV's due to poor communication isn't in anyone's best interest. Hopefully we'll have some answers forthcoming.

THAT IS GREAT!!! Can not tell you how good that makes me feel. We'll be waiting for a his/their reply.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page