Forum Jump: 

post #4651 of 4753 Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSac View Post

Hello all, I contacted Vizio about my XVT473SV Stuttering , twitchy , weird motion video issues. They said it was first they heard, so we def need to put the press on. After IM Chat and calls I did not really get anywhere yet.

The stuttering, twitchy, weird motion video issues continue.

The had me do a soft memory clear then a memory clear through the service menu. If you want to try here are the instructions:

hit input and go to a blank/non-used input, wait till no signal, then hit input and 2489 in quick order. Then nav to setup and select to clean storage. Then turn off, unplug, and hold power button on TV for 30 secs.

Good luck.

I think the only way we ill get this resolved is if we band together.

Thanks

You should also send them a link to this thread for more evidence! I know I would be raising hell if either of my sets were acting up after an update! I'm fed up with updates breaking stuff, the whole Skyrim ordeal made me insane!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4753 Old 01-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 14
Someone must be telling the reps to always say that they haven't heard of any other instances of a problem. I swear they've said that every time I've contacted them about something (this and the not-so-smart dimming.)

I just watched "The Hangover" on Blu-Ray, unrated version letting it play straight through and it went into 'stuttering mode' twice. First was when they're showing kids how to use the stun gun and it went on for several scenes after that then went back to normal, then started again during the drive home where the guy drives up and throws them suits, and that continued until the end credits which appeared to scroll normally. Going back to these scenes duplicated the problem, and pausing and re-starting caused the TV to go back to normal. There must be some sort of motion that is flagging the TV to do this. Someone is supposed to be contacting me this week for a service call, not sure what they're going to do but I'll be able to use this movie to show the problem and see if it's been fixed.
post #4653 of 4753 Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Liked: 10
Can any of you get video examples of the stuttering/video and post the links here? Vizio is asking for examples to be sent to them and I do not have the ability to take/send.

Thanks
post #4654 of 4753 Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM

I'm not sure if it would be possible to capture the effect on camera, especially for video posted on the internet. I've never seen internet video be able to handle 30 frames per second anyways. The best bet is to keep looking for points on easily-available discs which trigger this behavior so that hopefully someone at the company can get ahold of that disc and duplicate the effect there.
post #4655 of 4753 Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM

It also appears that the CEC settings have a bug. I can't get the CEC device control on/off setting to stick to off during a power-off, power-on cycle on my xvt 553. Can anyone else confirm this problem?

This problem means that my harmony remote and the xvt553 both power on my attached pioneer receiver. This leads to random states where once the sequence is complete the receiver may be on or off. I used to set the cec setting in the vizio to off to avoid this. It no longer works.

Thanks
post #4656 of 4753 Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same as the rest of you. The stuttering I'm seeing is almost like a drop in frames-per-second that you'd get playing a complex game. The video doesn't break up or anything, but the motion just isn't as fluid as I'd expect.

Is that what others are seeing? Or, do you get actual pauses or breaks in the video?
post #4657 of 4753 Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM

No pauses on mine, just odd-looking motion. Some movies have scenes like that on purpose, which is why I wasn't sure if it was a malfunction right away. You can tell it is though if you watch something you've already seen many times before, or can pause and re-play to see the effect go away. I'll try to post movies I've seen it on- latest was "Hangover Part 2" on Blu-Ray, happened only once during a straight play-through but is repeatable. Happens roughly from 14 to 25 minutes in- when they go to the airport there's a slow-motion shot then the weird motion on the TV gets triggered for about 10 minutes until a scene where they're by an elevator at the party then the motion goes back to normal for the rest of the movie. There's something early on that's triggering the TV, since if you skip too far past the airport scene the TV will behave normally.

If anyone else notices this on a specific movie, please mention it here and I will check it out on my system if I have it. (Please specify format, though again I've seen this happen on laserdiscs too which of course are analog.)

Just got an email from Vizio saying I need to call a different number since I have the warranty, so will do that ASAP.
post #4658 of 4753 Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM

You are correct. This is exactly what I see as well. Just used "stuttering" for a lack of a better word. Just funky/non-fluid motion. I called Vizio again. I think we all need to continue to keep bugging them about this so they know its an issue. I think the problem is that someone without a keen eye my not notice or know that it is the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkodey View Post

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same as the rest of you. The stuttering I'm seeing is almost like a drop in frames-per-second that you'd get playing a complex game. The video doesn't break up or anything, but the motion just isn't as fluid as I'd expect.

Is that what others are seeing? Or, do you get actual pauses or breaks in the video?

post #4659 of 4753 Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Didn't have time to call today, but I found yet ANOTHER problem- when playing PAL DVDs, they somehow force the TV into smooth motion! This was on my modified Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player. It sends out PAL natively through its HDMI output, which my TV can display usually at the right frame rate but not this time. I know PAL film transfers are sped up a bit, but they haven't looked like video before.

Anyone else who's been having this problem should check any PAL DVDs if they have them.
post #4660 of 4753 Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM

I have the same problem. I would describe it as fuzzy choppiness. My TV looks like sharpness is lost and the same can be said about motion while this is happening.
I can stop his problem by hitting the menu button. This seems to reset whatever the problem is until it starts again, which is pretty frequently.
It barely happens at all with the smooth motion is set to low.
This seems to have started recently.
I get hdtv signal by antenna if it matters.

I have a 473 which is out of warranty so if this isn't some weird firmware problem I will have to get it fixed eventually.
If anyone could shed some light on how much this will cost to fix, that would be great.
Thanks in advance.
post #4661 of 4753 Old 02-01-2012, 02:05 PM

I started a new thread yesterday about the motion problem, so please re-post your problem there to keep the thread on top and hopefully get the attention of the people responsible. You shouldn't have to pay to fix something that was the result of a firmware update sent by the company- they could've done it just to sell more warranties! After this experience, whatever TV I get next likely won't have any internet apps unless it can have firmware manually applied to it. I'd be better off with a TV with no internet connection and using a Roku box or something for the internet stuff. Besides, those are easier to replace once they get obsolete.
post #4662 of 4753 Old 02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

I started a new thread yesterday about the motion problem, so please re-post your problem there to keep the thread on top and hopefully get the attention of the people responsible. You shouldn't have to pay to fix something that was the result of a firmware update sent by the company- they could've done it just to sell more warranties! After this experience, whatever TV I get next likely won't have any internet apps unless it can have firmware manually applied to it. I'd be better off with a TV with no internet connection and using a Roku box or something for the internet stuff. Besides, those are easier to replace once they get obsolete.

I've had my 553 disconnected from the internet for the past 3 months, I don't use the apps so I guess I'll keep it that way after reading about the latest FW. I have media players I use for media and internet. Although, my brother has the same set and his updated a while back and he said he hasn't had any problems.

I don't understand Vizio with their FW. Users should be able to update if and when they want and be able to go back if there is a problem.

And for them to make someone prove they are still in warranty for a FW update is unbelievable.
post #4663 of 4753 Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkodey View Post

This is the same as what I am getting. It happens while watching HD cable, mkv playback from a WDTV and bluray on a ps3. I can make it stop by pausing and restarting the video. It is really annoying
post #4664 of 4753 Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Hmm! I have been having stuttering issues as well on my 552 since the update. I thought it was the source material. It doesn't happen on Blu-rays, but does on Netflix streaming and television broadcast (antenna) HD and SD.

My 553 updated oh, 1 to 1.5 months back and since has had jittery video and this green horizontal line that pops up and disappears quickly always in the same location about 1/3 of the way down from the top. Only happens in Neflix...and seems to happen a LOT more with 4:3 aspect ratio films. If I pause and rewind to play the same section over again it doesn't repeat. I've tried searching and searching Google to see if this could be a Neflix issue...with no success. I'm glad (ok, not glad we're all having problems with otherwise perfectly good TVs) that I found these comments and I'm not going crazy.

Does anyone else get the magically appearing and disappearing green horizontal line along with the stuttering video?
post #4665 of 4753 Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 AM

Haven't gotten the green line, but found out yesterday it's forcing the smooth motion not only on my PAL DVDs but also on some cartoon shows on Netflix and Vudu. Check out the opening of any episode of Archie's Funhouse, Ghostbusters, or Fat Albert. Doesn't do it on all 4x3 standard-def material, so don't know what the deal is here. Funny since I tried playing with the smooth motion on some online video a while ago and couldn't get it to look like video then.
post #4666 of 4753 Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM

Glad I found this thread. Add me to the stuttering issue list.... I knew I wasn't crazy! I found ESPN, or any channel with scrolling text at the bottom, to be the most obvious way to see this issue. Its definitely on all sources, so I will be joining the crowd by contacting Vizio.
post #4667 of 4753 Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with people's picture settings because my set has been flawless. In fact, the halo effect on dark scenes is almost non exists with the latest firmware.

They've also improved the CEC functionality.My Onkyo AVR now powers on with the tv and the volume level of the receiver is displayed on screen.
post #4668 of 4753 Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 AM

I don't use smart-dimming because it completely cuts the backlight whenever the picture goes to black or close to it- it looks the same as the TV being powered off, there should always be SOME sort of light on the screen whenever there's a picture on it! (As I mentioned before, when I complained to Vizio about this they didn't seem to understand, and they ended up unnecessarily replacing the whole TV!) The haloing effect was annoying too but not as much as this.

I made sure I got a receiver that did NOT display the volume level onscreen whenever turning it up or down, that would annoy the hell out of me too.
post #4669 of 4753 Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't use smart-dimming because it completely cuts the backlight whenever the picture goes to black or close to it- it looks the same as the TV being powered off, there should always be SOME sort of light on the screen whenever there's a picture on it! (As I mentioned before, when I complained to Vizio about this they didn't seem to understand, and they ended up unnecessarily replacing the whole TV!) The haloing effect was annoying too but not as much as this.

I made sure I got a receiver that did NOT display the volume level onscreen whenever turning it up or down, that would annoy the hell out of me too.

The whole point of the smart-dimming feature is to increase the contrast and produce fantastic black levels. This is a big selling point for LCD/LED fully backlit TV's with local dimming.

post #4670 of 4753 Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Vizio Logo in the front is white when the TV is on and Orange when it's off. That should be clear enough. Without smart dimming the blacks would look gray.
post #4671 of 4753 Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Not on mine- I put black tape over it so it won't annoy me!

What this thing does with "smart dimming" is the equivalent of turning the sound completely off during any silent portions.

THIS is why the current way it works is wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FooNiB2coc

When there's credits on the screen, the background has a bit of grey. It HAS to, that's the nature of how the picture is! When the credits fade out, the background goes completely out, only to pop back on again when the next credit fades up. Also look what it does at the 2:36 mark as the scene pans over a black wall. It's just silly.
post #4672 of 4753 Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Not on mine- I put black tape over it so it won't annoy me!

What this thing does with "smart dimming" is the equivalent of turning the sound completely off during any silent portions.

THIS is why the current way it works is wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FooNiB2coc

When there's credits on the screen, the background has a bit of grey. It HAS to, that's the nature of how the picture is! When the credits fade out, the background goes completely out, only to pop back on again when the next credit fades up. Also look what it does at the 2:36 mark as the scene pans over a black wall. It's just silly.

Is yours a local dimming set? The video is weird and your explanation of there always needing to be grey on the screen is also weird. My TV would only turn on a few local dimming zones to light up the text. The rest of the screen would remain off and completely black. In that manner the effect is not as strange as shown in your video. Your video shows the entire screen lighting up when only a few zones in the center are needed to light up the text.
post #4673 of 4753 Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazaks View Post

I wonder if it has anything to do with people's picture settings because my set has been flawless. In fact, the halo effect on dark scenes is almost non exists with the latest firmware.

They've also improved the CEC functionality.My Onkyo AVR now powers on with the tv and the volume level of the receiver is displayed on screen.

I checked my settings after reading this to see if the update had somehow overridden my settings. Nope, everything is the same as I've been using for the last 1.5 years (CNET settings with all smoothing features turned off). Started after the update and only does it in Netflix. Luckily I have 6 months of my Costco warranty left to see where this goes.
post #4674 of 4753 Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think my 553 did an update this evening.....

The version of firmware says VIZIO_C7.0.1.S

Although that looks like what others have, as I got an update last month, but did not check the version. So maybe it just rebooted.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #4675 of 4753 Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 AM

That's the same firmware mine has. You'll know when the firmware updates because when you turn the TV on, the screen will go black except for a display on the left saying something like "Please wait while we install a firmware update." The Widget Gallery can update too but that doesn't affect the firmware and doesn't make as prominent a display when it does that; if the TV reboots while it's on it's likely just run into a glitch or something.
post #4676 of 4753 Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Is yours a local dimming set? The video is weird and your explanation of there always needing to be grey on the screen is also weird. My TV would only turn on a few local dimming zones to light up the text. The rest of the screen would remain off and completely black. In that manner the effect is not as strange as shown in your video. Your video shows the entire screen lighting up when only a few zones in the center are needed to light up the text.

I turned the brightness up in that video so the effect would show on camera, but it does that when set darker also. If you have it set so low that there's zero background on black credits then it's really too dark, even a projected film will have some film grain or what-not in that area.
post #4677 of 4753 Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 AM

During startup (during the Vizio apps screen), I have a patch of pink dots in the upper third of the screen, so I guess this TV is going back for exchange.

Same model though since I REALLY like it, and the dots aren't visible during TV viewing or anything else.

I haven't hooked it up to the internet yet either since I saw some people were having issues with the latest firmware. Should I try updating firmware first to see if it solves the pink dots issue? Should I not update to this firmware at all, and just wait to update until a new firmware comes out?

Update: Vizio customer support (which was really helpful) suggested trying the firmware update (since at least one of the firmware updates has changed the splash screen on startup) to rule out that it's a problem with the startup screen image. Worth a shot to save the hassle of reboxing it up and exchanging it.
post #4678 of 4753 Old 02-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I think my 553 did an update this evening.....

The version of firmware says VIZIO_C7.0.1.S

Although that looks like what others have, as I got an update last month, but did not check the version. So maybe it just rebooted.

Quote:

That's the same firmware mine has. You'll know when the firmware updates because when you turn the TV on, the screen will go black except for a display on the left saying something like "Please wait while we install a firmware update." The Widget Gallery can update too but that doesn't affect the firmware and doesn't make as prominent a display when it does that; if the TV reboots while it's on it's likely just run into a glitch or something.

My XVT553SV also has firmware C7.0.1.0S, but it did that update on December 28, 2011 (about 5-6 weeks ago). After that, our problem with video freezing and spontaneous reboots started for the first time (never before that, and we've been using the TV for over a year). So I think this firmware made the problem worse, not better.

Ever since soon after we got the TV, we've had the HDMI handshake problem during warm up. For the first five minutes or so on 1080i or 1080p sources the screen is heavily pixelated. After the warm up period it stabilizes and is fine after that. It also does it on 720p sources, but the effect is much less noticable (more like "swigglies" in high contrast edges).

Both the HDMI handshake problem and the freeze/reboot problem are related to cold startup. The reboots occur very frequently (maybe 1 out of 3 times we turn on the TV), but always during the first minute or two of use. It seems to occur most frequently on 1080i/p sources during the handshake pixelation period, making me think that the two issues are somewhat related.

I'm still hoping for another firmware update that addresses these issues.

The wide viewing angle and matte-finish low glare display are key priorities for where we use this TV, so we'd really like to keep this thing working. But right now, I'd have a hard time buying another Vizio.
post #4679 of 4753 Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

...What this thing does with "smart dimming" is the equivalent of turning the sound completely off during any silent portions.

You may be among a small minority that finds this to be problematic. If so, smart dimming just isn't for you, just like some are irked by smooth motion. Turn it off, and it won't bug you.

"Turning the entire screen off" when there is nothing in the video seems perfectly natural to me. The reason that the higher absolute black level of CFL LCDs is annoying compared to local dimming LEDs or plasmas is exactly because they display a level of grey when there is no video. That is not something you see in nature, so it takes you out of the concept of suspending disbelief that what you are seeing is real and not just lighted pixels, while having a proper absolute black level (which local dimming simulates pretty well) is not as annoying, because it doesn't.

For instance if I see a wide shot of a full moon, local dimming might put a bit of a halo around the moon, but at least the dark area of the picture does not look artificially bright. To me, that is preferable, and probably to many others, which is why local dimming exists; to improve the viewing experience.

And anyone who ever owned an old Trinitron-tube Sony (or basically any good TV properly adjusted from the 70's to the 2000's) knows that it is natural for the screen to go completely black when black is what is being broadcast. My 7-year old niece complained that our kitchen TV kept "going on and off", but that was because she had never seen a TV that didn't keep some grey on the screen when there was a dip to black between commercials. That was some time ago; she's 36 now. And the reason why was a combination of a dark piece of glass over the tube along with great DC restoration, and these were aspects introduced by Sony that every single other TV manufacturer soon mimicked, so dipping to full black is much more ubiquitous than it is weird.

You will see that gating artifact when the screen goes completely black, and maybe they should learn to ramp that gate to make it more natural, but most of us really have no complaints. After owning this set I wouldn't think of buying one without local dimming. I think its a great feature and that Vizio's implementation if it is pretty spectacular.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #4680 of 4753 Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to configure the router to block the Vizio from downloading new FW and still be able to use the apps. Right now I'm still with the previous FW and have my TV disconnected from the Internet.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page