Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhombus7 View Post

Is yours a local dimming set? The video is weird and your explanation of there always needing to be grey on the screen is also weird. My TV would only turn on a few local dimming zones to light up the text. The rest of the screen would remain off and completely black. In that manner the effect is not as strange as shown in your video. Your video shows the entire screen lighting up when only a few zones in the center are needed to light up the text.

While I agree with "weird", I think that more than just a few zones light up if there is video only in one place. Those of us with DirecTV DVRs can easily demonstrate this by simply pausing video long enough for the screen saver to come on.

The new HD screen saver does have a halo around it, but that is actually part of the graphic and should be there, local dimming or not. But this screen saver is a logo that traverses the entire screen like a Pong or BrickBreaker object, and it is clear that even when it is on the far side of the screen, that the near side of the screen is partly lit by the local dimming effect. The level of black ramps down smoothly in all directions from wherever the logo happens to be, and ramps back up as the logo approaches that area.

I assume that this is on purpose and if they did it more severely it would begin to annoy most of us, and would REALLY annoy 8trax.

Bottom line, it's a workaround, not a full fix of the higher absolute black level for LCDs. It works beautifully in most situations, such as when you are watching a scene with real video in it. It can be a little artifacty for credits and dips to black between scenes, but to me that's a small price to pay for the benefits it brings most of the time.

Its immature, fairly new technology. It will only get better. And of course more dimming zones will allow for a better affect. I have heard that Viz sets have from 80 to 128 zones, but I recently heard they only have 32 zones (that may be for edge-lit). Fewer zones means the ramp must be less steep meaning it will be less effective than it would with more zones, for the rare instances that seem to be irking some of us.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

"Turning the entire screen off" when there is nothing in the video seems perfectly natural to me.

What if your eyes automatically closed whenever you were in a dark place?

I worked for many years as a theater film projectionist, so another effect I would compare this to would be shutting the "dowser" on the projector every time there was a black picture. If the smart-dimming didn't do that I'd be happy with it, since it does improve the black levels but that effect is just to annoying to tolerate. They should have at least put in an option to have it always leave some backlight partially on. It was certainly not very smart of Vizio to replace an entire TV when I complained about this; they should have known this was how all their TVs were programmed to work.

Meanwhile still waiting to get my frame rate fixed, warranty people still have a new board on order though I think a flash-drive with the old firmware on it would probably work and be a lot less trouble for everyone involved. Wonder what they'll do if they replace the board then the current firmware forces itself on it and the problem comes back?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Whats the difference, black is black. Would you rather see gray? Oh wait, someday you will, have you heard of Cataracts?

I like the way it works, when watching SD programs I would rather see black bars instead of gray bars and great blacks with videos.

I have the 553 and 554 and think they both very good sets.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While I don't see that (no pun) as even close to a comparative analogy, if it were dark enough, it really wouldn't matter if your eyes were open or closed. The whole climactic scene from Wait Until Dark is based on that very concept. And how do you screw up Hellen Keller's day? (move her furniture)

Quote:
I worked for many years as a theater film projectionist, so another effect I would compare this to would be shutting the "dowser" on the projector every time there was a black picture. If the smart-dimming didn't do that I'd be happy with it, since it does improve the black levels but that effect is just to annoying to tolerate...

I did this for a couple of summers for my brother-in-law (never long enough to become the expert you probably became). But this is probably a clue why this bothers you so much. You are not the typical viewer due to your preconditioning.

I know the Viz gates rather than ramps to black when black is broadcast. I notice it, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I think they should ramp it to make it less abrupt, which would be very simple and ergonomically sound, but once again, the designers did not consult with me beforehand. If this is the largest problem in your day, consider yourself lucky, and deal with it.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post

It sounds like your problem may not be very universal, and that you may just have a lemon. If you are not the only one, the subset of folks with this problem is apparently small or they would by now have a mature targeted plan for dealing with it. It is beginning to sound like as far as they are concerned, you may be patient zero.

There are a lot of things that can cause video to stutter, but most of them are in compression, delivery, decoding, etc., and rarely are in the TV itself, although it seems this problem is definitely in the TV since it is doing it on virtually all inputs.

When you send video via HDMI that video is already decoded and no longer compressed. All the TV needs to do with that is DAC it and display it, essentially. IOW there are no CPU-heavy tasks going on in the TV when receiving via HDMI. Possibly you got a bad firmware up rev, meaning a roll-back may not be needed, just another download or a forced download of the same version.

Good luck, post back your results.

OK, I registered solely to reply to this very shortsighted reply. Do you have any idea what percent of vizio owners might happen to be on this forum?? I am quite confident that it is a tiny fraction that is FAR less than 1%. So to say that his problem is rare is ridiculous. I am having stuttering and random reboots constantly since the new update. It was a rare problem before but now it happens daily.

Searching the web turns up millions of hits with similar problems, so I HIGHLY doubt that his set is just a lemon. I would be more willing to admit that there is a significant design problem with these sets that has produced a very large number of problems. From my very informal discussions with several vizio owners has uncovered that there are a large number of people with these problems. Just because they don't happen to belong to your forum and post doesn't mean that they are not out there.

I am pretty upset that I spent this much on a TV only to have these kind of problems. Having someone say that they are rare is just as irritating as when tech support echoes that stupid comment ... "Gee, this is the first time I have heard of this problem" We all know that is a lie.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's strange that some people are reporting problems and others state they don't. My brothers set updated and he said he has not experienced these problems. I have mine disconnected from the internet so it won't update.

It would be interesting to find out if it's releated to sets that would have the same part but from a different supplier. That would be impossible for a user to determine. But it would also be interesting to see if the sets that are having problems were built in the same location China or Mexico.

If people who report problems or not state where their set was built. Perhaps this would make a good poll. Are you having problems or not and where was your set manufactured. If the problem sets seem to all come from one location maybe it would help to get Vizio to acknowledge and investigate the problem.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazaks View Post

I wonder if it has anything to do with people's picture settings because my set has been flawless. In fact, the halo effect on dark scenes is almost non exists with the latest firmware.

They've also improved the CEC functionality.My Onkyo AVR now powers on with the tv and the volume level of the receiver is displayed on screen.

If you could let me know your settings I would be more than willing to give them a try to see if it helps. as it is this problem is a complete distraction while watching anything.

EDIT: I am currently on hold with Vizio Chat regarding this problem I'll report back to the forum what they have to say.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Vizio is sending a repairman to look at the TV. I told them that I didn't think it was a hardware issue but I'm not gonna argue with anything that can get this problem fixed.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCat
It sounds like your problem may not be very universal, and that you may just have a lemon. If you are not the only one, the subset of folks with this problem is apparently small or they would by now have a mature targeted plan for dealing with it. It is beginning to sound like as far as they are concerned, you may be patient zero.

There are a lot of things that can cause video to stutter, but most of them are in compression, delivery, decoding, etc., and rarely are in the TV itself, although it seems this problem is definitely in the TV since it is doing it on virtually all inputs.

When you send video via HDMI that video is already decoded and no longer compressed. All the TV needs to do with that is DAC it and display it, essentially. IOW there are no CPU-heavy tasks going on in the TV when receiving via HDMI. Possibly you got a bad firmware up rev, meaning a roll-back may not be needed, just another download or a forced download of the same version.

Good luck, post back your results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro972b View Post

OK, I registered solely to reply to this very shortsighted reply. Do you have any idea what percent of vizio owners might happen to be on this forum?? I am quite confident that it is a tiny fraction that is FAR less than 1%. So to say that his problem is rare is ridiculous. I am having stuttering and random reboots constantly since the new update. It was a rare problem before but now it happens daily.

Searching the web turns up millions of hits with similar problems, so I HIGHLY doubt that his set is just a lemon. I would be more willing to admit that there is a significant design problem with these sets that has produced a very large number of problems. From my very informal discussions with several vizio owners has uncovered that there are a large number of people with these problems. Just because they don't happen to belong to your forum and post doesn't mean that they are not out there.

I am pretty upset that I spent this much on a TV only to have these kind of problems. Having someone say that they are rare is just as irritating as when tech support echoes that stupid comment ... "Gee, this is the first time I have heard of this problem" We all know that is a lie.

You have every right to be upset, but do you really have a right to take that out on those who are trying to help you?

Call my post whatever you like, but "short-sighted" is a bit ironic coming from you. That would be the narrow view and emotional response I would expect, from my five-year-old nephew. But he's five.

Here is what I said, in an abridged/paraphrased version:

a) It might be that your particular set has problems that others with that model do not have, which may point to a problem with your individual set, and possibly that might extend to a few others, maybe more.

b) You can probably rule out other issues such as reception (with reasons given why).

c) It is unlikely that it is a case regarding CPU overload (with reasons given why) which is why I suggest a forced download of the latest firmware in case you got a corrupted one (as an Engineer in the industry, I have the credentials to make that educated guess and suggest it to you with every good intention of it possibly being of help to you).

d) And then I graciously wished you good luck, and

pretended that any of the rest of us actually care by inviting you to continue to post more whining regarding your suffering. A, B, and C were genuinely good-hearted positive attempts to help you wrap your mind around the problem and gently steer you away from being concerned about how widespread it is, which is very far away from and beside the actual point. D, was just a foolish mistake on my part; believe me, it won't happen again.

It seems that a much closer definition of "short-sighted" would be to ignore the post and nearly every thing it said and queue in on the minor aspect of how wide-spread the problem is.

Here's how widespread it is at your house: 100%. That is all that really matters regarding you and your problem. Accept that, and move towards something more constructive. Or don't. I don't care anymore.

And here is a little secret: It doesn't matter how widespread it is, unless it is so very widespread that you may be able to mount some sort of grass roots campaign using some esoteric forum that can actually get the company to help you (and we all know how very successful that always is [not!]). It just does not matter.

And I can't see how believing that the problem is widespread when it probably isn't, or maybe even is, can really give you much control of or power over the matter, or even much comfort, other than the old base emotional instinct of misery loving company, which is also far from a constructive approach.

Further, no one is going to believe the hyperbolic statement "millions of hits" regarding this, so you are only undermining your own credibility by stating it. You and none of the rest of us really have any idea how widespread this is, and Vizio may not have any idea either. And they aren't talking.

Again, none of that matters. Your problem is your problem with Vizio, regardless of the "millions" of alleged hits, and while I would like to think that Vizio is responsive to such matters, whether you get relief or not all of a sudden means very little to me. After being treated the way you treat people who are trying to help you I could not care if you are forced to wallow in this problem with no resolution for the rest of your miserable life.

So, most sincerely, Good Luck With That.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Sorry to interrupt the troubleshooting, but I was looking to pick up an xvt323sv on the post-season close-outs, but I seem to have waited too long and now they look like they are totally discontinued at Sam's, Costco, even Amazon. There also seems to be no current replacement model on the market from Vizio in the 32" class, but maybe I missed it.

Does anyone here know what Vizio is doing in this space as to timing and product. I see an xvt3d325kp was announced, but not on market yet. Is there going to be a non-3d offering?

Also, Sam's still has the 32" E series, but I'm reluctant to go for it with the lower refresh rate. Anyone here have an opinion of whether the xvt is that much of an improvement over the E series?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

It's strange that some people are reporting problems and others state they don't. My brothers set updated and he said he has not experienced these problems. I have mine disconnected from the internet so it won't update.

It would be interesting to find out if it's releated to sets that would have the same part but from a different supplier. That would be impossible for a user to determine. But it would also be interesting to see if the sets that are having problems were built in the same location China or Mexico.

If people who report problems or not state where their set was built. Perhaps this would make a good poll. Are you having problems or not and where was your set manufactured. If the problem sets seem to all come from one location maybe it would help to get Vizio to acknowledge and investigate the problem.

My XVT553SV was built in China. Had it now for 1.5yrs. I think the age of the set may also tell us something about this issue.

Who knows, maybe it is all coincidence that our sets are displaying these problems after the firmware update. For all we know this is just the first signs of a common component dying in some percentage of the TVs.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Hey "drunkmunk" can you let us know the result after the repairman checks your TV? I had the main board in mine replaced yesterday and it did NOT fix the frame rate problem. They're going to send someone else out later to do what they call "diagnosing".

I really hate when I have to reset this TV since it not only loses all my channels and picture settings, but I have to re-register all the online video stuff too. At least I got another free $5.99 Vudu credit, will have to find a new release to watch before the TV has anything else done to it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My 553 was bought in August of 2010. I have the latest firmware update and don't see any issues with stuttering and I have been looking carefully.

For those that do have this issue, let us know if/when it gets resolved and the details.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an XVT553SV. I figure it I'm going to do it, I'd better do it before the model disappears.

As you know, this unit is about a year old.

The down side is that it won't have the latest, greatest technology. (If the set is as good as the reviews, I can live with that.)

The up side is that it won't have the latest, greatest technology. (By this time most of the major problems should be known.)

Here's my question to those of you who already own this set:

Knowing what you know now, would you buy this set again?

If not, why?

If not, what would you buy?

Thanks,

Burt

The Consultant's Creed:
I can do it right.
I can do it cheap.
I can do it fast.
You get to choose any two.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I would buy this set all over again. At it's current price point, it's a steal.

If I was looking at a set today and the 553 was unavailabe,I would be looking at the Sony 929 which is much more expensive......or more than likely a 60" plasma.

I'm not sure if Vizio has any plans for a new TruLed set, but there is nothing currently on their website.

It's been fantastic and everyone who comes over comments on how good the picture is.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpers View Post

Even with the minor (for me) annoyances with the latest firmware, absolutely yes. Great value and really suits my needs.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 PM

For me it would depend on the other choices available. When I got this it seemed to have the most bang for the buck; right now I mainly wish that it could do 3D and that it had better black levels without the annoying side effects of the smart-dimming that I've mentioned. I'm glad that it CAN display PAL-format video and that it has a flexible horizontal and vertical control that lets me adjust overscan and correct material that is improperly stretched or squeezed. Other TVs don't seem to have that so that's what I'd mainly miss if I got a different one.

The problem I'm having now with the frame rate exemplifies why it isn't good to have equipment updated via an internet connection. Whatever introduced this problem cannot be gotten rid of by me, so I now have to deal with repair people coming over to check it out (and that's only because I got the extended warranty- I shudder to think what Vizio would do if it were out of warranty, even though this was most likely caused by THEIR firmware.) Based on this I would probably not buy another TV with an internet connection, instead I would buy a separate box for the online video and music services. That would also be easier to replace once it became obsolete. Whether my next TV is a Vizio or not at this point depends on how they deal with the frame rate problem.

One thing I would not do again is buy a TV straight from the company- I would instead buy it from a local retailer so I could easily exchange it if there were any problems, and hopefully get better support for any problems also. I bought my TV straight from Vizio because they were doing a promotion where you could be one of the first to get this TV and provide feedback. I was hoping that I'd get to give them direct feedback on everything related to this TV, but they only seemed interested in pre-written questions mostly dealing with how the internet apps worked. I sent them several pages' worth of my impressions of the TV itself and how it operated, but they didn't seem to care about that. I could submit ideas for the ULTIMATE TV (at least in terms of its user interface, design and controls) if any company took the time to listen to my suggestions.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

Burt

Yep, I would. The picture is great, and the value seems very strong given the quality and price. The online widgets are a bit slow and buggy, but they account for a miniscule amount of what I do/watch. And I have no idea if other connectable TVs are any better in this regard. For TV watching, though, I am very satisfied. Got mine last March.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:

I would buy again. The picture is great once you tweak it to your tastes/environment. I use the internet apps mostly to stream movies.

I got the update only a few weeks ago (more than a month after some of the first reports) and I do not see the problems that others have. Lucky I guess. I bought my set back in December 2010. If anything, my eyes tell me that the overall picture quality improved slightly (enough of an improvement that I noticed). It is very difficult to observe the halos now. I have to go to extreme angles to find them.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
Here's my question to those of you who already own this set:

If not, why?

If not, what would you buy?

Thanks,

Burt[/quote]

Definitely. I have had no problems whatsoever and I have the latest firmware.

Larry
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Bought in Nov 2011 starting to shut down restart and sometimes remote will not work and cannot control TV unless it is unplugged and restarted. No I would not buy this again. I recently bought 3 new lg tvs.(42lk520 and 47lk520) and I like the picture better on this TVs and they get much better reviews on amazon. Vizio customer service is terrible. I recently had trouble with the blue tooth headphones by vizio. They went out and vizo refused to honor the warranty despite the fact that I had the receipt and they were only a few months old. I wrote the president of the company and in a few days I got a call form vizio about how sorry they were to put me through so much trouble and my new headphones are in the mail. Yes they did come a few days later.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Hey "drunkmunk" can you let us know the result after the repairman checks your TV? I had the main board in mine replaced yesterday and it did NOT fix the frame rate problem. They're going to send someone else out later to do what they call "diagnosing".

I really hate when I have to reset this TV since it not only loses all my channels and picture settings, but I have to re-register all the online video stuff too. At least I got another free $5.99 Vudu credit, will have to find a new release to watch before the TV has anything else done to it.

Well that's a little disheartening because they said they are coming to replace the main board in mine this Saturday. The rep Said They think it's a result of a corrupted firmware update. I will keep you posted on the results
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 AM

The same guy is coming back next week to look at mine, not sure what he's going to do. There's another board in the TV that he says is for video processing, don't know if replacing that would do any good or not. It must cost the company some money to replace boards that don't need replacing.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios View Post

I would buy again. The picture is great once you tweak it to your tastes/environment. I use the internet apps mostly to stream movies.

I got the update only a few weeks ago (more than a month after some of the first reports) and I do not see the problems that others have. Lucky I guess. I bought my set back in December 2010. If anything, my eyes tell me that the overall picture quality improved slightly (enough of an improvement that I noticed). It is very difficult to observe the halos now. I have to go to extreme angles to find them.

+1

Had my tv over a year now. Still amazed at the picture quality. No regrets buying it. I haven't noticed any problems since the firmware update, but I rarely use the internet apps. I keep a laptop next to my chair. I mostly watch Directv and rarely watch a DVD.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguewing16 View Post

+1

Had my tv over a year now. Still amazed at the picture quality. No regrets buying it. I haven't noticed any problems since the firmware update, but I rarely use the internet apps. I keep a laptop next to my chair. I mostly watch Directv and rarely watch a DVD.

Count me in the same boat. The only difference is that I do watch quite a few DVD's. Still VERY pleased with this TV.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Are you asking about the 553? This model is a year and a half old.

The comment you replied to was a spam bot. They copy an actual post from the beginning of the thread, then follow up with some sort of spam message.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM

And to answer the current going question, I'd most definitely buy this set again! The picture looks great and I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM

I'm looking into buying this TV (424SV) among others in the next couple of months. Would it be a good idea to buy this as a refurb or is it best to find it new?

PSN:Trav_Kool-Breeze
TWC - NYC, N. Manhattan
CISCO 8642HDC ODN 7.2.0_5

Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Liked: 11
I love this TV. Got a 55-incher brand-new 8 months ago, and nary a problem. The firmware updated around 11 PM on New Year's Eve (Happy New Year from Vizio!), and still no problems. And it now has access to YouTube!

I bought it with a credit card that adds a year to the warranty, figuring that if I'm covered for 2 years and then it goes out on me, well, then I'll just have an excuse to pick up one of the 4K (or even 8K) OLEDs that will be selling at heavy discounts at the big-box stores by then.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

The same guy is coming back next week to look at mine, not sure what he's going to do. There's another board in the TV that he says is for video processing, don't know if replacing that would do any good or not. It must cost the company some money to replace boards that don't need replacing.

Have you been able to get it to do it on demand? The repairman is coming sometime this afternoon and I have the feeling that we're both going to be staring at a perfect screen waiting for it to happen. I just haven't been able to figure out what triggers it to be able to show him with out just watching TV until it happens.

I hate intermittent problems

UPDATE: Of course the problem didn't show up while he was here but he went ahead and replaced the Main Board and one called the T Con board. The firmware actually reset back to a 6. something so I'm just going to leave it off line and not have it do any firmware updates.

As a side note I did take some pictures of the back with the cover off, I wasn't aware that this TV actually has an LG panel. I'm going to go back through and rename my Inputs and adjust the picture back to CNET settings and will report back if there is still a problem.