Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No stuttering here of any kine on any source. Smooth as silk.

I have the Cnet settings and deviated by setting smooth motion on low and Cinema on smooth.

I have Directv also and it looks great.

Not sure what your issue is. Could be a setting on your blu-ray player and Xbox or the TV is defective.

And yes.....so far this TV has been awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rme1 View Post

I bought an M550NV a couple of weeks ago from Costco. I was super happy with it. I passed on a Samsung that was $500 more because the Vizio looked so good. Fast forward to a few days ago. I was again in Costco, and I saw a XVT553SV on display. I couldn't see much difference between the one I owned and this one, except the XVT553SV was full array LED, and had twice the refresh rate. It was only a couple hundred dollars more so I bought it, and brought back the one I had purchased only a couple of weeks ago.

Once I got it home I started configuring the settings. I used a review on Cnet as a guide. I deviated from Cnet on a couple of settings but overall followed their recommendations. It took me about two hours to get the settings perfect. I loaded up a couple of Blu-rays and watched some Directv HD. Everything was going along perfectly. In fact I could see compression in the Directv signal I hadn't seen before, good and bad news there. The TV was so clear it showed flaws in the Directv signal I never knew were there.

Here comes the bad part. Last night I was watching The Informant on Blu-ray. During the opening scene, Mat Damon is walking through the office and suddenly the screen begins to stutter. It is as though the processor in the TV can't keep up with all the information, so it starts dropping frames. I adjust the smooth motion, and the Real Cinema mode. All the settings had the same stuttering, in fact the only one that was better than the rest was smooth motion set to low, and real cinema set to smooth. However, even that was stuttering and very noticeable.

I thought maybe this was an isolated incident, or the disk was bad. So I loaded up Iron Man, and the Dark Knight. Iron Man had a scene when Tony Stark is about to show off his missile system, two planes fly by. Again the stuttering. I didn't see anything wrong in the Dark Knight. I figured maybe it was the player.

Tonight, I load up my Xbox. I downloaded the trailer to Halo reach, it's also in 1080p. In a seemingly uncomplicated scene a woman is leaning over to talk to her kid, and BAM! the stuttering again. I noticed nothing like this on the less expensive model. Does this have something to do with the 240Hz? Could it be I have a defective TV and the product is normally awesome? The TV is too new to know for sure, but if someone else could run a similar test, I'd really like to know. I really hate taking things back to the store, and I am hoping there is a setting I can play with.

If anyone else has any info I'd appreciate it ryaneldridge@hotmail.com

I would honestly take it back to the store first even though I know it sucks to do that. But you have to get what you pay for, and just make sure first of all that the tv is or is not the issue. If it is the TV, I am sure you just got an unfortunate dud.
post #453 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://g4tv.com/videos/48247/Vizio-T...ew/?quality=hd This is G4 Tv's review of the 553.
post #454 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rme1 View Post

Here comes the bad part. Last night I was watching The Informant on Blu-ray. During the opening scene, Mat Damon is walking through the office and suddenly the screen begins to stutter. It is as though the processor in the TV can't keep up with all the information, so it starts dropping frames. I adjust the smooth motion, and the Real Cinema mode. All the settings had the same stuttering, in fact the only one that was better than the rest was smooth motion set to low, and real cinema set to smooth. However, even that was stuttering and very noticeable.

I thought maybe this was an isolated incident, or the disk was bad. So I loaded up Iron Man, and the Dark Knight. Iron Man had a scene when Tony Stark is about to show off his missile system, two planes fly by. Again the stuttering. I didn't see anything wrong in the Dark Knight. I figured maybe it was the player.

Tonight, I load up my Xbox. I downloaded the trailer to Halo reach, it's also in 1080p. In a seemingly uncomplicated scene a woman is leaning over to talk to her kid, and BAM! the stuttering again.

This certainly seems odd. I am in testing mode with my set; I can try to find some movies with faster action and have a look on mine. So, this is probably not it, but I wanted to ask the forum - is it possible that it is related to a poorly shielded HDMI cable or something like that? I am a big fan of the idea that digital cables either work or they don't so you'll never see me buy Monster HDMI cables (Monoprice=good), but, it IS possible in the IT world to have a network cable that WORKS but at a lower speed than it should (or intermittently) due to improper termination or poor shielding in a high-EM environment. Any thoughts? Should the OP try a different HDMI cable just to be sure?

Also, for the benefit of some past posters, my set is made in MEXICO as well. If the CNET review set really was made in China, maybe it was an earlier hardware revision which could explain why CNET says it doesnt work with 1080/24 but for some reason it works for all of us...
post #455 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM

To rm1:

Have you tried changing the 24fps settings within your bluray player to force it to a specific setting ? or switching the Film Mode in the set from "Auto" to "OFF" ? OFF = force 60FPS, AUTO = detect 24fps/60fps.
post #456 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM

I picked up a 42" model from Sams Club last night, it'll be a few days before I can try it out though. Seems like a lot of the stores have it, just not in the floor.
post #457 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 09:11 AM

post #458 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdefroy View Post

This certainly seems odd. I am in testing mode with my set; I can try to find some movies with faster action and have a look on mine. So, this is probably not it, but I wanted to ask the forum - is it possible that it is related to a poorly shielded HDMI cable or something like that? I am a big fan of the idea that digital cables either work or they don't so you'll never see me buy Monster HDMI cables (Monoprice=good), but, it IS possible in the IT world to have a network cable that WORKS but at a lower speed than it should (or intermittently) due to improper termination or poor shielding in a high-EM environment. Any thoughts? Should the OP try a different HDMI cable just to be sure?

Also, for the benefit of some past posters, my set is made in MEXICO as well. If the CNET review set really was made in China, maybe it was an earlier hardware revision which could explain why CNET says it doesn't work with 1080/24 but for some reason it works for all of us...

One of the questions before vizio is: does the 553 have HDMI 1.4 as per the maunual? Their press release of Friday, 8/20 reads HDMI inputs - 1.3.

If the 553 has HDMI 1.4 would it not require higher grade HDMI cables? I'd like to know as I am new to this type of TV, and it's components, and will be needing HDMI cables and a Blue Ray player and etc...

Country differences, if any: likely due to different part suppliers and adjustments from engineers as problems arose at each plant site.
post #459 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post

One of the questions before vizio is: does the 553 have HDMI 1.4 as per the maunual? Their press release of Friday, 8/20 reads HDMI inputs - 1.3.

If the 553 has HDMI 1.4 would it not require higher grade HDMI cables? I'd like to know as I am new to this type of TV, and it's components, and will be needing HDMI cables and a Blue Ray player and etc...

Country differences, if any: likely due to different part suppliers and adjustments from engineers as problems arose at each plant site.

From Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=help&idx=2

This should explain 1.4

You don't have to use 1.4 cables even if the spec was 1.4. HDMI 1.3 will work fine.
post #460 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmachete View Post

Had a small problem last night:

I hit the apps button to bring up the menu and check the weather. The screen resized to accommodate the apps ribbon on the bottom but the apps never populated. I hit the apps button again and no change. Then I hit a few other buttons on the remote and realized the TV was not responding to commands at all. After about 90 seconds, the TV shut off and the VIZIO light started to blink. I tried to turn it on to no avail. I unplugged it and waited a few minutes and when I plugged the power cord back in, the VIZIO light kept flashing.

I went back to finish dinner, figuring there was nothing more I could do but wait to return it this weekend but after about two minutes, the tv turned on and all was as it should have been.

Odd episode... hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Meant to respond sooner: Do not have any internet connection, but our 553 #87 shutdown and restarted by it self last week, with the orange vizio flashing longer than a normal start up. Scary. This unit is on a UPS with voltage regulation, so that should eliminate any voltage problem problems. It worked OK before and since then. A hiccup as someone said? :-) Hope so.
post #461 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If HDMI 1.4 is a "deal-killer," the Vizio is probably not for you. I don't think it (as well as most present 2D TVs) has the ability to functionally exploit any of the differences between 1.4 and 1.3.

As to source devices, switchers, processors, etc., you may want to make sure they are 1.4 compatible to avoid any problems with future upgrades to your source or display devices, but at the moment, the primary function of HDMI 1.4 is to deliver 3D TV, which is not a feature of the 553.

ISF Certified
post #462 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 02:12 PM

I should be getting my 553 next week...after looking at some of the Vizio online info, I don't see any reference to the Facebook App like in the past. My kids are really looking forward to playing with that particular App.

Can any of you that have the 553 confirm the Facebook App is up and running?
post #463 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

From Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=help&idx=2

This should explain 1.4

You don't have to use 1.4 cables even if the spec was 1.4. HDMI 1.3 will work fine.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure you aware/have it, but here is one for you: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

I did not know that monoprice carried such a variety of things. Looks like they might have the articulating-tilting-extension arm that we're looking for. :-))
post #464 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I'm sure you aware/have it, but here is one for you: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

I did not know that monoprice carried such a variety of things. Looks like they might have the articulating-tilting-extension arm that we're looking for. :-))

Thanks for the link Tom.

I've purchased many items including HDMI cables from Monoprice as many others on this forum have and I highly recommend them.
post #465 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

If HDMI 1.4 is a "deal-killer," the Vizio is probably not for you. I don't think it (as well as most present 2D TVs) has the ability to functionally exploit any of the differences between 1.4 and 1.3.

As to source devices, switchers, processors, etc., you may want to make sure they are 1.4 compatible to avoid any problems with future upgrades to your source or display devices, but at the moment, the primary function of HDMI 1.4 is to deliver 3D TV, which is not a feature of the 553.

Will a HDMI 1.3 handle Audio Return Channel?

As you know, for us newbies, we're dangerous with just education behind us without your kind of hands on experience.

My next Mac will, and possibly my current '09 iMac can, hookup to a TV via HDMI with Audio Return Channel specs for digital sound. This I would like to happen with these 553's.
post #466 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_BAMA View Post

I should be getting my 553 next week...after looking at some of the Vizio online info, I don't see any reference to the Facebook App like in the past. My kids are really looking forward to playing with that particular App.

Can any of you that have the 553 confirm the Facebook App is up and running?

Yes, Facebook app works, great.
post #467 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the settings on my Blu-ray player, but since I saw it both on Xbox, and Blu-ray makes me think it's the TV. If no one else has noticed it, I may be taking it back for another one. I will spend another week with it, and play around with the settings more, I'll post the results. Thank god for Costco's return policy.
post #468 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM

i have done input lag tests and i am pretty disappointed.
i repeatedly get numbers in the low 60s OR numbers in the mid 90s.

i cannot account for the difference in these numbers. i have a laptop connected to a sony CRT over VGA and the 553 connected via HDMI/DVI. the displays are set to CLONE. Should I try a different computer? perhaps a high end video card in a newer computer would make sense? i just dont want to move a desktop all the way over to where i have the TV temporarily set up.

i'm using a camera set to 1/1000 (which dims out the CRT b/c it is only running at 60Hz - so i just take several and wait for the CRT to scan the area on the screen with the timer. i cannot explain why, but I either get 62-66ms or 94-98ms. This is with game mode on OR off. This is disappointing. Perhaps I am doing the tests improperly? Please dispense any advice you might have. is this too much? i'm wondering if I should return the TV, but if I do - i dont have any idea what else I'd buy!
post #469 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 07:08 PM
MKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdefroy View Post

i have done input lag tests and i am pretty disappointed.
i repeatedly get numbers in the low 60s OR numbers in the mid 90s.

i cannot account for the difference in these numbers. i have a laptop connected to a sony CRT over VGA and the 553 connected via HDMI/DVI. the displays are set to CLONE. Should I try a different computer? perhaps a high end video card in a newer computer would make sense? i just dont want to move a desktop all the way over to where i have the TV temporarily set up.

i'm using a camera set to 1/1000 (which dims out the CRT b/c it is only running at 60Hz - so i just take several and wait for the CRT to scan the area on the screen with the timer. i cannot explain why, but I either get 62-66ms or 94-98ms. This is with game mode on OR off. This is disappointing. Perhaps I am doing the tests improperly? Please dispense any advice you might have. is this too much? i'm wondering if I should return the TV, but if I do - i dont have any idea what else I'd buy!

I haven't done any of these testing, so I may not be making sense.

Try swapping the outputs - to the CRT through a DVI->VGA converter and VGA to the TV.

With a few VIZIO mdoels I have there are fewer settings available on VGA mode. That could hint there is less processing with the VGA mode. If I read it correctly you either get 62-66 or 94-98 but never anything in between right?
That could really hint the TV is delaying frames to do processing. (1/60Hz = 16.66ms per frame, 4 frames is exactly 66ms, and 6 frame 99ms)
post #470 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 PM

MKL,

I went to do as you suggested - to swap the outputs, but I was unable to do so as the DVI output on my dell d/dock is digital only and physically cannot accommodate the DVI -> VGA converter...so, sadly, I was unable to do as you suggested - which is too bad because I really wanted to.

Anyway, what I DID do is connect the exact same equipment to my old 60Hz toshiba LCD from 2007 with the fake 120Hz Motionflow or whatever. I consistently hit lag times in the mid 120ms range.

So, obviously, this lag thing isnt that big of a deal because I have logged some serious hours on my Xbox on this trusty Toshiba.

Soooo....getting 60ms is TWICE as good and 90ms is still alot better...i find your analysis interesting as far as frames go, but arent these TVs 240Hz?

Anyway, maybe with processing turned off because it sensed a computer signal, it reverts to 60Hz or something. Point is, 62ms or 96ms is still way better than 125ms, so it probably isnt that big of a deal if i never noticed it before on the Xbox. This IS through an HDMI switch on the Toshiba, but I cannot imagine that would make a difference. Thoughts?
post #471 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Am I the only one torn between this TV and waiting a couple of months for the 3D version?
post #472 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

Am I the only one torn between this TV and waiting a couple of months for the 3D version?

No, not at all I look forward to seeing the 3d model that comes out in a few months myself. It's the same exact tv with added 3d. Looks to be a great set
post #473 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:

I'm actually kind of curious about the new 58" cinema XVT Pro unit. However, full local dimming, better aesthetics than the 552, and current availability (almost), and I'm going to pickup the 553 when I can get my hands on it.
post #474 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Well, since I don't have depth perception, I was waiting to get the best deal on a non-3D set before I can't get one. I think the 553 is the one for me, when my Costco finally gets them in They still have at least 3 of the 552's in the store. I'll have to ask them again to check for the newer ones.

David
post #475 of 4753 Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM

post #476 of 4753 Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 AM

hdefroy,

Your findings make me quite sad, although it is about what I was expecting. The SV472XVT also got around 60ms of lag. Link: http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233747

Thank you very much for testing the input lag. I'll check back to see if you have any other results, but in general, your numbers put this TV in a coffin for me. 60ms of lag is bad for competitive fighting games. It's a shame, because everything else about this TV looks great. =(
post #477 of 4753 Old 08-28-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMOAN View Post

hdefroy,

Your findings make me quite sad, although it is about what I was expecting. The SV472XVT also got around 60ms of lag. Link: http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233747

Thank you very much for testing the input lag. I'll check back to see if you have any other results, but in general, your numbers put this TV in a coffin for me. 60ms of lag is bad for competitive fighting games. It's a shame, because everything else about this TV looks great. =(

no problem. it was a pretty interesting test. sadly, I could do nothing to get it down below 62ms. But, I just sat down and played Gran Turismo for quite awhile and it just looks plain awesome. The lag on this TV is way better than my old one (62ms vs 125ms). I was pretty bummed out when I made that post about my lag results, and considered returning it tomorrow, but I thought about it and realized that 1) there is nothing else out there even close for the money 2) this is the only nice TV with a matte screen that I could find and 3) I dealt just fine with TWICE the lag playing fallout 3, bioshock, and halo...

So i am going to just suck it up and enjoy this pretty sweet TV. I still cannot believe how inexpensive it is - it costs HALF what a sony hx909 does!

i wish the menu interface was a little slicker and i wish the remote was a little less blocky (and backlit), but you cannot complain for an otherwise solid offering. The VIA internet apps are great too - again, just wish they'd worked on the polish a little. But they definitely spent time on the PQ and it blows my old TV away.

my understanding is that the sharp TVs have lower input lag and I would have considered a 920, but they are JUST now coming out (so who knows how long before you can actually get one), cost almost 1,000 more than this TV, and don't have full array local dimming...
post #478 of 4753 Old 08-28-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:

These two appear to be the same review.
post #479 of 4753 Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 AM

I bought my XVT423SV tonight from Sam's Club in Roanoke, VA. Set it up and have been playing Fallout 3 on it for most of the night. Very impressed with the picture quality and internet apps. Pairing the tv with my Vizio VHT210 soundbar makes for a killer combo. Also, I'm using tweaked settings from the CNET review. I definitely recommend using these.

As for the lag, I haven't really noticed much. There is no way to tell until I get on MW2 or Halo 3 but our internet connection is dismal here so that will not do much good.

However, I am a big FPS fan and Reach is right around the corner. If I think input lag is an issue, I have a slightly more "competitive" setup I can use. I understand plasma tv's are supposed to be the best for lag/response time but I'm not ready to make that kind of monetary commitment. The specs and performance of this tv simply cannot be beaten for the price. Thumbs up Vizio.
post #480 of 4753 Old 08-28-2010, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

I believe all such HDMI spec's have backwards compatability for legacy devices and of course this panel is not 3D so it shouldn't be a concern - there are other features within the 1.4 spec besides 3D but anyone's HDMI 1.3 should operate just fine.

HDMI 1.4a add's
  • 3D Over HDMI
  • Ethernet Channel
  • Audio Return Channel
  • 4k × 2k Resolution Support
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page