post #541 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanostream View Post

Vizio responded today to most of the questions that were asked last week regarding TV specs and functionality. Apologies, but I don't have the time now to pair up Tom's original questions with the answers provided. Information was supplied by an official source at VIZIO. Answers were provided by company engineers:

1. The Energy Star test revolves around a series of test images/videos which Energy Star has compiled to qualify all TV products. The average power consumption of a television is largely dependent on the image being displayed. ( eg: an all white background will draw more power then an all black background. ) Rest assured, our products do in fact meet current energy star requirements or they would not carry the energy star seal.

2. It is in fact 1.25mm pitch. We associate no actual torque value to the screws. Hand tight ( basic hand tools eg: screw driver) is sufficient.

3. The correct value is 50,000 hours under typical use.

4. The XVT553SV has 2x 15W speakers.

5. The User's Manual is in fact correct. Multimedia functionality for the USB ports is expected in the form of a firmware update in the very near future.

6. The native panel resolution of the XVT553SV is in fact 1920x1080 full 1080P.

7. All of the HDMI ports are 1.4 and backwards compatible.

8. The website appears to have the correct values for the weight of this model.

9. This issue will be addressed shortly.

Thank you for your business and continued support
We are very happy to hear that you are enjoying your new XVT553SV.

In reference to #7 have any owners been able to get the audio return to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the market for a large (55"+) tv and had pretty much been dead set on a Panasonic VT25 series and then saw this tv pop up on cnet and then started reading this forum. My local costco finally got theirs in today and set up the display (none for sale yet) and of course it looks bad with their source material - it is not feeding off a standalone player. I currently have the 58" vt25 on order from BB at a crazy price ($500 more than this model) but have one big issue - 3d pretty much is only good within a 10' range and the rec/media room in our new house is huge, so the 3d feature will probably hardly ever be used.

So my big question is this - has anyone compared the picture quality between this unit and the vt25's? I know they are completely different techs but am more worried about a awesome picture with "inky" blacks. Thanks in advance for your input.
post #543 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checo001 View Post

In the market for a large (55"+) tv and had pretty much been dead set on a Panasonic VT25 series and then saw this tv pop up on cnet and then started reading this forum. My local costco finally got theirs in today and set up the display (none for sale yet) and of course it looks bad with their source material - it is not feeding off a standalone player. I currently have the 58" vt25 on order from BB at a crazy price ($500 more than this model) but have one big issue - 3d pretty much is only good within a 10' range and the rec/media room in our new house is huge, so the 3d feature will probably hardly ever be used.

So my big question is this - has anyone compared the picture quality between this unit and the vt25's? I know they are completely different techs but am more worried about a awesome picture with "inky" blacks. Thanks in advance for your input.

This unit does not have 3d just FYI
post #544 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbz22 View Post

Found a 15% coupon on ebay that works with electronics at Dell and it made the tv nice and cheap. It doesn't stack with the current 100 dollar sale that they have on the TV, but it still makes it a great deal.

Congrats on getting the TV for a steal. I was out of town this weekend and unable to check this thread and am kicking myself for missing this deal. I searched ebay and I'm guessing the coupon well ran dry. If anyone knows of anything similar, please let me know. At that price it's simply a no-brainer.
post #545 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Vizio responded today to most of the questions that were asked last week regarding TV specs and functionality. Apologies, but I don't have the time now to pair up Tom's original questions with the answers provided. Information was supplied by an official source at VIZIO. Answers were provided by company engineers:

1. The Energy Star test revolves around a series of test images/videos which Energy Star has compiled to qualify all TV products. The average power consumption of a television is largely dependent on the image being displayed. ( eg: an all white background will draw more power then an all black background. ) Rest assured, our products do in fact meet current energy star requirements or they would not carry the energy star seal.

2. It is in fact 1.25mm pitch. We associate no actual torque value to the screws. Hand tight ( basic hand tools eg: screw driver) is sufficient.

5. The User's Manual is in fact correct. Multimedia functionality for the USB ports is expected in the form of a firmware update in the very near future.

Link to the questions http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19071578
post #546 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:

5. The User’s Manual is in fact correct. Multimedia functionality for the USB ports is expected in the form of a firmware update in the very near future.

nanostream, Thanks. This is good news. I went ahead and sent the letter to Irvine, Ca, via certified mail, and they received it this morning.

#9 deals with the registration website and the 3's are now included as of last week.

#10 deals with chat.vizio not having the 3's. I have not checked that out today.

Probably #6 and #7 have the biggest impacts on all of us. Y'all understand that stuff a lot better than myself, so I'll leave it to you, the wizards of multi-functioning TV's to confirm.

We are several months away before our 553 becomes more than a TV. :-))
post #547 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Liked: 11
Any news on when this set will be available again from Amazon? I have a some gift certificates that I would like to use.
post #548 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

The problem with the Vizio's hasn't been the type of panel, but their processing engine is never 'off' even when in game mode. This introduces a lot of lag. You'll need to wait until owner reviews start turning up before you'll get an answer to this question.

If the processing engine is never 'off', does that mean that you cannot get rid of the Soap Opera Effect on movies?

Thanks
post #549 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmuldrow View Post

This unit does not have 3d just FYI

Yes I do know that - if the benefit of the 3d on the panny is a mute point, how does the picture compare between this model and the vt25 series for 2d.
post #550 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post

Any news on when this set will be available again from Amazon? I have a some gift certificates that I would like to use.

Available now at Amazon, but its new-found popularity appears to be reflected in an "adjusted" price:

http://www.amazon.com/XVT553SV-55-In...3218202&sr=1-1
post #551 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM

Please disregard the prior post, nothing has changed at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #552 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post

Congrats on getting the TV for a steal. I was out of town this weekend and unable to check this thread and am kicking myself for missing this deal. I searched ebay and I'm guessing the coupon well ran dry. If anyone knows of anything similar, please let me know. At that price it's simply a no-brainer.

They still have the coupon on ebay. You should still be able to pounce. Search "Dell Home Coupon"
post #553 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:

They still have the coupon on ebay. You should still be able to pounce. Search "Dell Home Coupon"

Nice! Glad he got more codes. LOL This is a great deal. You can't beat it. Just checked.The expiration date on the codes for the three auctions are 8/31/2010. Don't know if it's a marketing ploy or not.
post #554 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huegs View Post

dont see anything about additional warranty on Vizio's website. Where are you folks finding the info?

My most recent Dell Preferred Account bill has a coupon code for 15% off of the 55" television. I am looking at the 47" but went on to Dell's website to see if it would work for the 47. It did not. I then tried it on the 55 and it didnt affect the price either. ?????

Here's the Vizio warranty info http://www.vizioserviceplans.com/page/Home-Page.aspx

As far as using your code. I had trouble at first. Make sure you have your "O" and "0s" correctly typed. Good luck.
post #555 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:

ribbz22, found it! When I searched earlier, all he had were the two for the outlet store. I was going to hold out and get it at Costco for the 2 year warranty but at this price I feel comfortable with the one-year from Vizio and another year from Amex. Thanks again for the tip! I wonder who this coupon guy is.
post #556 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:

ribbz22, found it! When I searched earlier, all he had were the two for the outlet store. I was going to hold out and get it at Costco for the 2 year warranty but at this price I feel comfortable with the one-year from Vizio and another year from Amex. Thanks again for the tip! I wonder who this coupon guy is.

Did you use the one that says "GPS PHONES" and it worked?
post #557 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_BAMA View Post

Did you use the one that says "GPS PHONES" and it worked?

It worked for me. They have the 553s at the Dell Home Outlet too. Read the entire auction and click the link to the store.
post #558 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I am sure things covered under warranty on TVs over a certain size well warrant repair techs to make trips out to your house to fix an issue under warranty. However, I would make sure to take a really good look at the tv when it is delivered to your house. Make sure you turn it on to make sure it is working and you are satisfied before you sign for the item. I believe if you are unsatisfied you can force them to take it back and return it.

Best to call Dell though and hear what their policy is first hand on televisions (especially ones this large).

Apparently it's FEDEX that's delivering this. It'll be difficult to check this out with them delivering it.
post #559 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Mettle View Post

Here's the Vizio warranty info http://www.vizioserviceplans.com/page/Home-Page.aspx

As far as using your code. I had trouble at first. Make sure you have your "O" and "0s" correctly typed. Good luck.

Dell is not listed as an authorized dealer. I'm really thinking about cancelling my purchase.
post #560 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Dell is not listed as an authorized dealer. I'm really thinking about cancelling my purchase.

Here's the list from Vizio. I was on there looking at the cost of a possible extended service plan and noticed that Dell wasn't listed as an authorized dealer. Starting to scare me...
post #561 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM

post #562 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Here's the list from Vizio. I was on there looking at the cost of a possible extended service plan and noticed that Dell wasn't listed as an authorized dealer. Starting to scare me...

Neither is Costco or Wal Mart....
post #563 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post

From the vizio 3's manual (4/26/2010), page 22: "HDMI delivers the best image quality of any of the cable types available and it's all done over one cable. You get a great picture and cut down on your cable clutter. HDMI provides digital quality and amazing sound so if your TV has HDMI, this is the connection type you should be using."

If your receiver has an audio capable HDMI, one should expect the 3's to provide audio to the receiver based on the above quote? I'm probably wrong, as through out the manual, there is this HDMI note as on page 23: "Note: There are no dedicated audio ports for HDMI so there may or may not be audio from the TV with this connection". Kinda cancels out the page 22 HDMI quote?

Let us know what you find out and how you resolved the sound hookup.

Tom

I got a response from Vizio tech support that referred me to the specs as stated in the owner's manual. Bottom line is that the only digital audio out is via the optical jacks. Sorry, it doesn't appear HDMI audio out is supported. If anyone gets HDMI to work please let me know.
post #564 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 553 is mounted over my living room fireplace. I have ceiling lights as well as two 60w lights directly opposite the tv. I turned on the 60w lights and the craziest thing happened: An "x" pattern of red, green, and yellow lights appeared across the screen. When I turn the lights off the "x" pattern disappears. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not a big deal to me since I typically watch tv with only the ceiling lights on. My camera is unable to capture the christmas light effect so I can't post any pics. Is this common with LED tv's? My old Samsung plasma never did this.
post #565 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Good point. Best Buy is listed but they don't sell Vizio. Go figure. If people only bought from "authorized dealers," Vizio would be out of business.
Got this off of Vizio's site.
" This one year limited warranty does not cover Products sold “AS IS”, “FACTORY RECERTIFIED”, or by a non-authorized reseller." To me,REseller is a place that sells refurbished or used items.Eventhough a dealer is not an "authorized dealer," as long as the item is NEW,you get the one year coverage.
post #566 of 4753 Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I assure you that Dell, Costco and Walmart are authorized dealers even if they do not show on the Vizio list. They are probably Vizio's biggest dealers. I don't know why they are not on the list - but as Vizio often has errors in their documentation this is not a big deal.

And I just got the Ebay coupon and used it too. As of right now he's still got a couple left.
post #567 of 4753 Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 AM

Well....woke up to some disappointment today. My order was delayed at Dell and pushed back from 9/2 to 9/8. Better be the last time because that is really pushing it close to the football season!
post #568 of 4753 Old 08-31-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbuystinks View Post

I got a response from Vizio tech support that referred me to the specs as stated in the owner's manual. Bottom line is that the only digital audio out is via the optical jacks. Sorry, it doesn't appear HDMI audio out is supported. If anyone gets HDMI to work please let me know.

bestbuystinks,

Manual Spec's for the 3's: "HDMI 1.4 (ARC), Insta Port". Vizio has replyed to us the HDMI's are all 1.4. We did not specifically ask about "ARC" or what "Insta Port" means. Hope they are not playing word games with us. Just wasn't smart enough at the time to ask about "ARC and Insta Port", but will do so ASAP or someone else can feel free to do so. nanostream, where are you?

The "ARC", as you know, stands for Audio Return Channel. From the HDMI Org website: "The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data upstream to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection."

And they further state: "All HDMI cables will support Audio Return Channel functionality when connected to Audio Return Channel-enabled devices. You can use your existing HDMI cables or choose a different cable type."

I think a lot of people can use the ARC of the HDMI.

The following 2 links I have found helpful in understanding HDMI's.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-De...edia_Interface
post #569 of 4753 Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 AM

I got the same email. Ugh.
post #570 of 4753 Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foz32 View Post

I got the same email. Ugh.

Dell is famous for moving dates. I've had it happen when ordering computers too.

Keep your fingers crossed that they have enough in stock.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page