Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Besides contrasty program material, blooming appears dependent on how "torchy" your preferences are, how much backlighting, brightness and contrast you use. If you like a vivid display, you'll notice it more. More modest settings (mine are backlight 20, brightness 43, contrast 48 which presents an eye-pleasing display at moderate room lighting), there is no noticeable blooming no matter what the material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM

My first post.

Just got my 553 yesterday from COSTCO. This is the second HDTV. I got my first HDTV 5 years ago (a 720p Plasma without TV tuner).

I have hunting for this TV for several weeks in our local North SanJose COSTCO, but still no luck yesterday. Then I asked an employee to search the SKU:553100, she told me there were two available in South SanJose COSTCO, and there were a bunch of them in Gilroy. So I drove 12 miles to South SanJose and picked one. The package is huge and barely fit our middle sized SUV.

Have played it a while last night and have to goto bed since it's too late. I should have take one day off today ...

-grandleaf
post #633 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

I'm still waiting for my shipment from Adorama. A couple of reviews in Amazon mentioned something about a weird smell and a high pitched sound emanating from the TV. Has anyone here experienced this? I'm a little worried since this is going into my bedroom.

I think I know the smell they are referring to, and I don't think it's anything to worry about. My computer had tge same smell after I built it. It should go away.
post #634 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaiwolfe View Post

I think I know the smell they are referring to, and I don't think it's anything to worry about. My computer had tge same smell after I built it. It should go away.

Its like the new car smell but with electronics. I hear that high pitch sound also but only behind the tv... not sure if that is good or not but i've heard other electronics do the same thing for a while they are burning it
post #635 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Ah ok, no worries then. Thanks!
post #636 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

With the gain and bias controls, you can get a very flat and accurate grayscale. I turned down contrast to 47 to get rid of a slight green tint at 100% luminance.

As expected, there are no CMS controls on the Vizio (that kind of functionality is reserved for the most expensive bad boys). Primaries and secondaries are reasonably accurate (they all fall within the small target box of the gamut chart) and certainly better than most LCD TVs I've calibrated. By cranking down color to 46-47, I was able to reduce all saturation errors to less than 5 with most around 3.

Gamma was also very flat from 20% to 100% running at 2.2 to 2.3. The LED dimming impacts gamma as it comes out of absolute black to 10-20% luminance, but again this is only noticeable in a completely dark room.

I didn't save my calibration charts, but if I get a chance I'll rerun and post them.

If you are a die-hard videophile and this is your primary display device, you would want to spend more money, but the Vizio offers very impressive bang for the buck and I suspect will give most folks the best picture they've seen from an LCD TV.

ISF Certified
post #637 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

With the gain and bias controls, you can get a very flat and accurate grayscale. I turned down contrast to 47 to get rid of a slight green tint at 100% luminance.

As expected, there are no CMS controls on the Vizio (that kind of functionality is reserved for the most expensive bad boys). Primaries and secondaries are reasonably accurate (they all fall within the small target box of the gamut chart) and certainly better than most LCD TVs I've calibrated. By cranking down color to 46-47, I was able to reduce all saturation errors to less than 5 with most around 3.

Gamma was also very flat from 20% to 100% running at 2.2 to 2.3. The LED dimming impacts gamma as it comes out of absolute black to 10-20% luminance, but again this is only noticeable in a completely dark room.

I didn't save my calibration charts, but if I get a chance I'll rerun and post them.

If you are a die-hard videophile and this is your primary display device, you would want to spend more money, but the Vizio offers very impressive bang for the buck and I suspect will give most folks the best picture they've seen from an LCD TV.

Kevin......that would be great!

Even if you are a die-hard videophile, this set may convince you that you don't need to spend the extra money.
post #638 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 01:10 PM

The review that I read on CNET said that it couldn't handle 1080p/24 content properly. Can anyone (especially those that have the set) say what this actually means?
post #639 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Vizio @ facebook Tom: Yes the XVT3 series TV's are (ARC) compatible. "Insta-port" is a HDCP connection that allows for faster video recovery when switching to a HDMI input.

I do not have anything to test if the ARC ( Audio Return Channel ) works on our 553's.

Someone have a receiver with HDMI 1.4 ARC they can test for the 3's ARC?

And from Vizio @ facebook: "For the (ARC) capabilities to work you would need to have a reciever that has the 1.4 (ARC) HDMI port also. Not all recievers are to this point yet."
post #640 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM

I've been reading this thread for some days now. Thanks for all the helpful comments. I'm looking for a TV with good off angle viewing and a non-glare surface. I returned to Amazon the LG 47" 8500 set I purchased because of its very reflective glass panel. I'm not worried about glare with this Vizio. I've seen comments in here that off angle performance is good, but I also note the CNET reviewer's comment that it is poor. It is not yet available in my local Costco to see for myself.

Would any of you who have lived with this TV for a while post your thoughts on the XVT3SV's suitability for off side viewing...say at about 45 degrees?
post #641 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb1138 View Post

The review that I read on CNET said that it couldn't handle 1080p/24 content properly. Can anyone (especially those that have the set) say what this actually means?

It can play 1080p/24 content, but you might get some "judder". Basically, the screen refreshes 60 times a second, and 1080p/24 content only has 24 frames per second. Obviously, those two don't match up nicely. The result is jerkiness or judder during high motion scenes.

Some TVs try to compensate with that 120Hz and 240Hz "refresh". It's not actually upping the refresh of the TV, just adding more frames inbetween the ones provided to make the motion seem more fluid. That's what 120Hz does and it gives the "Soap Opera Effect" because that's what soap operas are shot on(30 fps). 240Hz has something to do with moving black bars, I don't understand it fully.

ANYWAY, this TV has a 240Hz, so I too am confused about why CNET says it can't handle 24fps content.

Also, I too would like to hear about he off-angle performance of this TV. I have a Samsung UN46C5000(CN panel) and I hate it's off-angle viewing, it's horrible. Colors, and especially blacks, wash out very easily. If this TV does off-angle well, I'll return the Samsung. My only hesitation is buying online and then getting a dud that needs exchanging. Any sites that pay for exchange shipping?
post #642 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Hey has anybody come across this problem? Was trying to setup a spare universal remote. Successfully got the TV to turn off/on and other basic commands with a few IR-only remotes including the Vizio XRU9M universal IR remote. HOWEVER, the Menu button on all of them brings up the Vizio Apps function (same as the big round middle button on stock remote), NOT the Menu screen. Also tried copying the IR for Menu button off the stock remote onto a learning remote, same result. Since the "Jag" wheel doesn't bring up the Menu either, guess what...you can access the TV's main menu ONLY ONE WAY, thru the stock remote, so if you drop, lose, break, or somehow disable it, yu can't get to the TV's main menu...

[Edit] Never mind.. you can go via the Apps bar to HDTV Settings which is the "Main Menu"
post #643 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you read a few pages back there has already been a few posts from owners stating the 553 does just fine with 24fps content.
post #644 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM

If this TV does off-angle well, I'll return the Samsung. My only hesitation is buying online and then getting a dud that needs exchanging. Any sites that pay for exchange shipping?

I am very impressed with Amazon's return policy. For returning the LG 8500 I received a full refund at no cost to me. Though it took 3 weeks from pick up for the refund to come through, its hard to complain when there is no shipping charge and no restocking fee.
post #645 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post

Vizio @ facebook Tom: Yes the XVT3 series TV's are (ARC) compatible. "Insta-port" is a HDCP connection that allows for faster video recovery when switching to a HDMI input.

I do not have anything to test if the ARC ( Audio Return Channel ) works on our 553's.

Someone have an HDMI 1.4 receiver they can test for ARC?

Just because a receiver (or any device) supports HDMI 1.4 doesn't mean it also supports ARC. You will need to verify that both devices explicitly support Audio Return Channel. I think the Ethernet channel was also added to HDMI 1.4 although I haven't seen very much actual device support for it. Unfortunately this is one of the issues with HDMI. In my opinion it is a big mistake to have a standard but then not enforce users to adhere to the standard...

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #646 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

Just because a receiver (or any device) supports HDMI 1.4 doesn't mean it also supports ARC. You will need to verify that both devices explicitly support Audio Return Channel. I think the Ethernet channel was also added to HDMI 1.4 although I haven't seen very much actual device support for it. Unfortunately this is one of the issues with HDMI. In my opinion it is a big mistake to have a standard but then not enforce users to adhere to the standard...

Your correct. Edited my post: "Someone have a receiver with HDMI 1.4 ARC they can test for the 3's ARC?"

And from Vizio @ facebook: "For the (ARC) capabilities to work you would need to have a reciever that has the 1.4 (ARC) HDMI port also. Not all recievers are to this point yet."
post #647 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBill View Post

I'm looking for a TV with good off angle viewing and a non-glare surface.

One of the reviews said it had a good off-axis angle of view of 45 degrees on either side, which is better than most LCDs. This is consistent with my own experience.

A major consideration for me was a non-glare screen (we have windows directly behind the TV), and the Vizio was one of the few I could find with this feature. Most of the higher-end LCD TVs that I was initially going to buy have the gloss screen that is very annoying with any background light (certainly more annoying to me than the blooming artifact). I'm not sure why manufacturers are going this route other than it creates an initial perception of sharpness.

ISF Certified
post #648 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandleaf View Post

My first post.

Just got my 553 yesterday from COSTCO. This is the second HDTV. I got my first HDTV 5 years ago (a 720p Plasma without TV tuner).

I have hunting for this TV for several weeks in our local North SanJose COSTCO, but still no luck yesterday. Then I asked an employee to search the SKU:553100, she told me there were two available in South SanJose COSTCO, and there were a bunch of them in Gilroy. So I drove 12 miles to South SanJose and picked one. The package is huge and barely fit our middle sized SUV.

Have played it a while last night and have to goto bed since it's too late. I should have take one day off today ...

-grandleaf

Good to know, I was actually just about to call some North San Jose stores. Last time I called the closest ones were the ones in Gilroy. So tempted to pick one up tomorrow.
post #649 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

Doesn't HDMI set the spec and thus devices must meet the 1.4 criteria before HDMI will allow them to carry the 1.4 designation?
post #650 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

My kids watch a lot of standard def on cable TV. How does SD look on the 553?
post #651 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Doesn't HDMI set the spec and thus devices must meet the 1.4 criteria before HDMI will allow them to carry the 1.4 designation?

Some things are mandatory such as clock rate, throughput, and resolution while others are optional.

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #652 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhit View Post

I also purchased this television from Costco using my American Express Card. However, I believe the total warranty is still only 2 years. Both Costco and American Express extend the warranty by one additional year after the manufacturer's (Vizio's) warranty of one year. Therefore, during year 2, the television would actually be under warranty by both Costco and American Express. However, I haven't read anything in the American Express warranty that would indicate that their warranty would take effect AFTER Costco's in year 2, and therefore cover the TV in year 3. If anyone has any proof of this, please share... Thanks.

If you read the terms of extended warranty at the AMEX web site, you'll see that the year starts even after extra warranty from the store.
post #653 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

This industry should have scrapped HDMI back when they had a chance. Now any equipment manufacturer can designate it stuff as 1.4 but has no real obligation to list what features of the 1.4 spec are included...what a joke!
post #654 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaiwolfe View Post

The smell is from the styrofoam packing material and the styrofoam protective sheet. It goes away in a few hours. No need to worry.
post #655 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post

Someone have a receiver with HDMI 1.4 ARC they can test for the 3's ARC?

I got a response from a second tech at Vizio. The second tech had the same response as the first one: The 553 does not support ARC. I have a Pioneer 1120-K receiver (supports ARC) and have been unable to get ARC to work. Maybe a firmware update is necessary?
post #656 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I have experienced this as well with my VF552XVT. When my wife turns on her Ott light 12 feet away from the tv, the image of the light is both reflected on the screen and diffracted into an X rainbow pattern. This has nothing to do with the LEDs in the back of the screen, but with the panel itself. It is simply light diffraction, nothing more. Turn off the light and don't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with your television.

Thanks. Good to know that it's not the tv. However, this is the first tv I've owned that has ever done this and this is my 5th flat panel.
post #657 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Just wondering if the Vizio remote will work to teach other programmable remotes. I know the Samsung from last year that had a bluetooth remote did not work which was a deal breaker for me.
post #658 of 4753 Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Has anyone else encountered the issue when the Credits come on (The single card credits before the rolling Credits) where the TV turns completely off and then when a card comes back on the picture jumps on and then off again when the card goes away. It is pretty annoying. This is of course when Smart Dimming is set to On...

Evan Colfer

Retro Area Theater
post #659 of 4753 Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBill View Post

I've been reading this thread for some days now. Thanks for all the helpful comments. I'm looking for a TV with good off angle viewing and a non-glare surface. I returned to Amazon the LG 47" 8500 set I purchased because of its very reflective glass panel. I'm not worried about glare with this Vizio. I've seen comments in here that off angle performance is good, but I also note the CNET reviewer's comment that it is poor. It is not yet available in my local Costco to see for myself.

Would any of you who have lived with this TV for a while post your thoughts on the XVT3SV's suitability for off side viewing...say at about 45 degrees?

I have decided to go plasma myself for the combo of picture quality and cost, and from what I understand you can't beat plasma for off side viewing.
post #660 of 4753 Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbuystinks View Post

I got a response from a second tech at Vizio. The second tech had the same response as the first one: The 553 does not support ARC. I have a Pioneer 1120-K receiver (supports ARC) and have been unable to get ARC to work. Maybe a firmware update is necessary?

The reply from your 2 tech's is totally opposite from the Vizio@facebook reply.

See the question and answer at: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...36&topic=15157

I just hope you have a bad cable, and not with your 553 or your receiver.

If I got your permission, I could quote your problem at that link or you can join in if you are a facebook member.

We need to resolve this issue ASAP.

Tom
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page