Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Attached is the gamut chart for the Vizio. All but blue have a Delta Error 1994 of less than 3 with blue being higher because it is oversaturated (see Delta Color Error). This is based on a color setting of 47 will all other color enhancements turned off.

I might try tweaking hue to see if it can be dialed in a little more to correct the Hue error, but this is a very good gamut for an LCD set.

The chart says "Simulated Meter" because I reloaded the data file, but this was done with an EyeOnePro meter and Accupel signal generator.

For comparison, I've also attached the gamut chart from the Sony. Overall, the Delta Error 1994 of the Vizio is arguably slightly better than the Sony.
LL
LL

ISF Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Jim Noyd, I see that you represent ABT/DVDO. Have you had an opportunity to use the DVDO EDGE with the Vizio ? If so, what were the results....with vs. without?
post #723 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noyd View Post

here's another professional review-
Highly Recommended
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/VIZIO_X...DTV_Review.htm

From the review:
The TV does not swivel on its stand, but the viewing angle is as good and wide as I have seen from an LCD.

Strange that CNET would say it has a poor viewing angle.
post #724 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM

I know this is not related but what device do I need to stream blueray movie from my media server to TV wirelessly?
post #725 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuNan View Post

Strange that CNET would say it has a poor viewing angle.

This TV is easily viewable from a 45-60 degree angle, even at 10-15 feet away.

Our family room is parallel to our kitchen, so I really care about off-angle viewing. The only issue with off-angle is the picture takes on a yellowish/brownish tinge.
post #726 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a few weeks and I think I'm pretty set on a 473... Just a couple of questions. First, I'm in NoVA/MD - anyone know of a Costco that has a 473 in stock? I saw a 553 at Costco chantilly but it was an open box display. Also, does Costco deliver? My car is small :P
The other question (and why I quoted you, rflor), is I was wondering - is it possible to turn smart/smooth/whatever motion off completely on the set? Obviously I'm going to give it a chance, but if I absolutely don't like it (like I didn't a couple of years ago when my friend was buying a Sammy and we steered clear of 120Hz sets), I can turn it off, right?
post #727 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemac View Post

Jim Noyd, I see that you represent ABT/DVDO. Have you had an opportunity to use the DVDO EDGE with the Vizio ? If so, what were the results....with vs. without?

I'm in a remodel and won't be able to for another month.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #728 of 4753 Old 09-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguptaweb View Post

The other question (and why I quoted you, rflor), is I was wondering - is it possible to turn smart/smooth/whatever motion off completely on the set? Obviously I'm going to give it a chance, but if I absolutely don't like it (like I didn't a couple of years ago when my friend was buying a Sammy and we steered clear of 120Hz sets), I can turn it off, right?

Yes...you can turn it completely off, and you can also set it per picture settings "profile" to Low, Medium, or High.

My whole question was to see if there was an easy way to macro changing the picture settings profile in a Harmony remote since it takes several button presses to get there.
post #729 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Anyone have any more time to test this set with gaming to get some more lag numbers?

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #730 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Hey All,

I cannot find the static contrast ratio advertised anywhere for the XVT553SV. I emailed vizio, and they told me that they do not have this measurement, and that nobody uses it anymore...

Last time I bought an HDTV, everyone on this forum was telling me that was a "must have" and that dynamic contrast ratios were a false and misleading. Can anyone here tell me if that still holds true. Do I just need to look at another HDTV where they disclose the static contrast ratio or is it really not needed anymore?

Thanks!
post #731 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 AM

It looks like Amazon has the 55"back in stock if anyone was waiting for them.
post #732 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher0 View Post

It looks like Amazon has the 55"back in stock if anyone was waiting for them.

Sams Club also has them in stock now. A very good price to I think with free shipping.
post #733 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

My mother declined to follow my advice on the Vizio and picked up the 55" Sony at Costco (KDL-55HX701). For her generation, Sony will always be the best.

This afternoon I calibrated her Sony, so some observations. Gray scale and gamut essentially the same -- indeed, I would give the Vizio a very slight edge as to both. I suspect most could not tell a difference when both sets are calibrated.

Black levels are excellent on the Sony, but a very slight gray can be seen at 0% luminance with all lights out in the room. Of course no blooming artifacts, but the absolute blacks on the Vizio are better (I could really tell a difference on Nightmare before Christmas).

Rainbow reflections from room lights were very noticeable on the Sony, so that is not uniquely a Vizio issue.

Sony has wireless apps, but you have to buy their USB wireless dongle for around $70. The Vizio has built in wireless. The Sony menus are slightly more annoying than the Vizio and the remotes are equal except advantage to the Vizio for the slide-out keyboard.

Both are great sets, but I love deep and absolute blacks, so for me, I'm glad to own the Vizio over the Sony.

Does the Vizio have discrete remote codes (to work with Harmony)?

I'm looking to upgrade a Pioneer 50" Plasma, and am looking at the Vizio and the Sony (55 & 60") - The 60's at Costco are LED EdgeLit, and have what they [Sony] call Infinite contrast ratio.

My Costco didn't have the Viz the last time I went in.
post #734 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezecoli2001 View Post

Here is a video link to what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp29oZiYhnU

It is harder to see in the video than in person but look at the background behind the text. Notice the first card seems to be fine then the problem starts at the "Screenplay" card and then continues to every other card after... See how it flickers on and off. Doesn't gradually go on and off, but is an abrupt change from dark to lighter... Thanks everyone! Maybe I received a bad panel because I am seeing a couple purple spots as well...

The light around the words in the credit... is that what is known as blooming? If so, that looks worse than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezecoli2001 View Post

Just got the new set back. And problem solved with no more purple spots. Simply lowered the brightness from 53 to 50 and solved the credit issue. Man I feel like an idiot. Thanks evryone!

Did lowering the brightness from 53 to 50 also help with the blooming issue?
post #735 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanp View Post

I am hooking my sources directly to the TV, and then hooking their digital audio outputs to the receiver separately. That way the wife can watch TV and not have to turn on the receiver and main sound system - which draw 230 watts at idle. I am planning on hooking the TV's audio outputs to a subwoofer and maybe some better power speakers if needed - I've got a spare Altec 2.1 set that should do nicely. That way I'll have decent sound for casual watching, and when I do need to power up the big system, I'll just mute the TV. That's the way I've had my old set hooked up for the last 4 years and I think that's how the new one will go.

In other words simultaneous output of audio both to internal speakers and audio out jacks--This is an easily overlooked feature that, believe it or not, is not available in most Sony and some Panasonic among others...they force you to select EITHER internal speakers OR audio out (not both at same time). What's worse, switching between the two is buried in the menu structure. Really infuriating if you want a setup like yours, or occasionally use headphones (if somebody's trying to sleep or something) and save watts. Sometimes very hard to determine what a given TV's capability is concerning audio. Anybody considering another brand AND likes to have flexible audio options, word to the wise... acquire online and thoroughly read the prospective TV's user manual before buying.
post #736 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Has anyone been able to find the "47 XVT3 at a Sam's Club?
I called the store and they said that that they used to carry it but that part # has been deleted from the system (they dont carry it anymore). I dont know if Sam's hasnt gotten many of the 47 in their stores or what?
post #737 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Totally agree with the audio out, I use it for a wireless headset, to keep my wife from going nuts. The other item is a low reflective screen and of course back lighting NOT edge.
Impossible to get all three items in any other brand. But I will wait until the USB is operational. However a nice discount or special sale would change my mind there.I did have a 552 but returned it to Costco because of the missing USB feature.

Costco in the Palm Desert/Indio are has the 553 now.

Eugene

BTW, static contrast of even the BEST available LCD technology maxes out around 2000, average set typically around 1000. Including the
552. I am sure Vizeo and Sony etc know that but will not tell of course.Best way to measure is with a "window signal" a black screen with a 100% IRE white square in the middle measured in a darkened room.
The average human eye maxes out at 5000 I am told. It can handle a lot more but takes too much time to adapt.
post #738 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splackavellie View Post

The light around the words in the credit... is that what is known as blooming? If so, that looks worse than I thought.

Did lowering the brightness from 53 to 50 also help with the blooming issue?

Yes blooming is less noticeable when turning the brightness level down. The picture is perfect as far as my eye can tell... Definitely some of the best blacks I have seen on any HDTV including plasmas.

Evan Colfer

Retro Area Theater
post #739 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM

The 3D feature aside, is it worth waiting for the 3D sets for their 2D PQ? I hear they will be 480hz, and have a few other minor upgrades (anyone know what else?)... or are these just going to be the 553's (re-boxed) with a 3D vid card and software to make it capable? Tech just told me (again) they are supposed to be out late summer/ early Fall... ofr what thats worth.
post #740 of 4753 Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Google to offer free full internet browsing from your TV this fall:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...est=latestnews

Apple vs. Google.....place your bets.
post #741 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barty88 View Post

The 3D feature aside, is it worth waiting for the 3D sets for their 2D PQ? I hear they will be 480hz, and have a few other minor upgrades (anyone know what else?)... or are these just going to be the 553's (re-boxed) with a 3D vid card and software to make it capable? Tech just told me (again) they are supposed to be out late summer/ early Fall... ofr what thats worth.

I was pondering that exact same question not too long ago. For me, I came to the conclusion that the 3d content out there is pretty scarce at the moment, so I won't be missing much if I decide to pass on it. I would rather settle for a set with excellent 2d picture quality until massive amounts of 3d starts flowing in. Also, the difference in price was a deciding factor too. Sony's HX909 cost about 2k more than Vizio's XVT553SV. Why should I pay 2k more for something that I'm hardly going to use? Now what you might want to wait for is LG's OLED coming out March of next year. That TV is freaking gorgeous. Not only does it have excellent 2d picture quality, infinite contrast ratio, superb viewing angles, but it also does 3d content too. It does all this at 31 inches at 1080p. The response time is either 1ms or below with absolutely no blurring during image transference.
post #742 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenking View Post

In other words simultaneous output of audio both to internal speakers and audio out jacks--This is an easily overlooked feature that, believe it or not, is not available in most Sony and some Panasonic among others...they force you to select EITHER internal speakers OR audio out (not both at same time). What's worse, switching between the two is buried in the menu structure. Really infuriating if you want a setup like yours, or occasionally use headphones (if somebody's trying to sleep or something) and save watts. Sometimes very hard to determine what a given TV's capability is concerning audio. Anybody considering another brand AND likes to have flexible audio options, word to the wise... acquire online and thoroughly read the prospective TV's user manual before buying.

You got it! I added powered sub woofers too my Vizio TVs using the audio out and it makes the internal speakers sound decent. Excellent for casual viewing. They have had this feature for a long time. Not to mention they have the best PIP options too. I bought a Samsung and the PIP would only allow you to use it with OTA TV broadcasts. What a waste, I haven't used an antenna in 30 years.
post #743 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I bought a Samsung and the PIP would only allow you to use it with OTA TV broadcasts. What a waste, I haven't used an antenna in 30 years.

you are probably missing out then. OTA HD is far better than whatever you get on cable or satellite. its far less compressed and provides a much clearer picture. not sure why people think that its somehow not cool or not a good thing to view OTA broadcasts. I realize you are making a point about the tv's PIP functionality, but maybe you should try it. I guarantee that you have never seen sports look so good, or any HD for that matter.
post #744 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

you are probably missing out then. OTA HD is far better than whatever you get on cable or satellite. its far less compressed and provides a much clearer picture. not sure why people think that its somehow not cool or not a good thing to view OTA broadcasts. I realize you are making a point about the tv's PIP functionality, but maybe you should try it. I guarantee that you have never seen sports look so good, or any HD for that matter.

Actually, I did try it with a pair of old rabbit ears and you are right. The picture is incredible for OTA. But I'm mainly a movie person, and commercial free, so that pretty much cuts out the local channels. The only time I would tune to it would be for the local news. I do have an antenna behind the set in the kitchen just in case the cable goes out during a storm and I want the local weather.

As far as the PIP goes, I need to have access to other inputs. I have cameras in the house and I can monitor things if I want. Like when I'm doing laundry, I can see in the PIP when the washer/dryer are done. I know, the ultimate in laziness. But I also have one in the furnace room in the basement and if I'm having work done I can monitor the work from the TV. Not too trusting is it, but I did catch one worker taking a wizz in my laundry tub and there was a bathroom right around the corner.

I also use it when I install a new FW in my media player and want to test it. I can keep an eye on it in PIP while watching another programs. I just like the flexibility of other input. In the early Vizios you could even use 2 HDMI inputs, watch one and use PIP in the other. They discontinued that, too bad, it was nice to have.
post #745 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will agree that the picture is better from OTA.....I have a rooftop Winegard UHF/VHF antenna as compared to satellite......I don't have cable, but I imagine it's better.

However, Directv puts out an excellent picture. When I switch back and forth I can definitely see an improvement on OTA, but it's not what I would consider to be huge. They are compressing the picture, but I will have to give them credit for doing a good job.
post #746 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

Totally agree with the audio out, I use it for a wireless headset, to keep my wife from going nuts. The other item is a low reflective screen and of course back lighting NOT edge.
Impossible to get all three items in any other brand. But I will wait until the USB is operational. However a nice discount or special sale would change my mind there.I did have a 552 but returned it to Costco because of the missing USB feature.

Costco in the Palm Desert/Indio are has the 553 now.

Eugene

BTW, static contrast of even the BEST available LCD technology maxes out around 2000, average set typically around 1000. Including the
552. I am sure Vizeo and Sony etc know that but will not tell of course.Best way to measure is with a "window signal" a black screen with a 100% IRE white square in the middle measured in a darkened room.
The average human eye maxes out at 5000 I am told. It can handle a lot more but takes too much time to adapt.

As far as operational USB goes, it's another of those "caveat emptor" areas. With any TV that advertises functioning USB ports, just might not do what you expect them to do. For Vizio non-functionality, there are workarounds, tho not free. i use the Western Digital WDHD media server, which does a fine job with photos, music, and especially video. Smooth as silk whatever i throw at it.

Before getting the Vizio i tried the Samsung 6400 Edge-Lit LED with working usb, which actually is one of the more useable out there. Despite that, .mp2 video files were unacceptably jerky (on camera pans especially); but it does handle .TS files and NTFS formatted media ok. While comparing, have to say Std. Def. wasn't as good as Vizio, plus the wife complained about the burn-in smell, so returned it to Costco. Also during hands-on with a Sony EX701 LED, it took a prize for one of the skimpiest "operational usb port" implementations.

Maybe Vizio will get it right when/if they finally make usb operational, and the WDHD is probably a good standard to emulate (altho itself its video navigation is nothing to write home about). WDHD is maybe a hundred online (earlier models cheaper), and they stream any kind of media from most kinds of storage (including NTFS) to HDMI up to 1280p.

The Windows NTFS file system (which of course allows file sizes greater than 4gb) is another hickup that many tv's "operational usb ports" don't handle (but they make it hard for you to find that out). Some of them don't even handle external hard drive storage at all, and media from cameras can also be a crap shoot.

BTW, concerning 3d, Costco had a Samsung 3D TV set up and glasses available for customers to try; to be honest, looked like s*** to me glasses on or off.
post #747 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Functioning USB ports would be nice and hopefully will occur one of these days, but at the bottom of my list.

YMMV.......but I'm certainly not returning my 553 because of it.

Too many other good things on this set to enjoy.
post #748 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:

you are probably missing out then. OTA HD is far better than whatever you get on cable or satellite. its far less compressed and provides a much clearer picture. not sure why people think that its somehow not cool or not a good thing to view OTA broadcasts.

Only real problem for me is that OTA is not coming in through my FIOS DVR, and I am addicted to being able to pause, skip and replay media as I wish. I suppose I could use the DVR ability of the HTPC, which has a HD ATSC tuner built in, but I rarely do so.
post #749 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 AM

I am about to order this set. I have 2 questions. 1.) does the lighted Vizio logo get annoying in a dark room? 2.) are there any other things I should worry about? I am coming from an old 46" Sammy and really have fallen in love with this set... Thanks

-sanman_76
post #750 of 4753 Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman_76 View Post

I am about to order this set. I have 2 questions. 1.) does the lighted Vizio logo get annoying in a dark room? 2.) are there any other things I should worry about? I am coming from an old 46" Sammy and really have fallen in love with this set... Thanks

-sanman_76

So this has the lighted Vizio logo? Boo! I hate those lit up logos. I was all excited to get this tv, but now will have to consider a few others.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page