Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #811 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a dedicated, light-controlled theater downstairs, but the Vizio is in the family room with a wall of south-facing windows directly behind the sitting area. My wife also likes to decorate with light, so the 85 is just a standard setting for my particular environment. If I lowered it too much, it could not compete with all of the ambient light in the room. I also like to leave the backlight at the same level because changing it impacts almost all other settings

With Smart Dimming, even at 85 the Vizio will still go absolutely black, so for my purposes its the best of both worlds -- plenty of lumins to look good in a bright environment but still able to go jet black when its dark.

I will pull out my calibration gear again and play with the backlight setting to see if I'm missing something.

ISF Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

I have a dedicated, light-controlled theater downstairs, but the Vizio is in the family room with a wall of south-facing windows directly behind the sitting area. My wife also likes to decorate with light, so the 85 is just a standard setting for my particular environment. If I lowered it too much, it could not compete with all of the ambient light in the room. I also like to leave the backlight at the same level because changing it impacts almost all other settings

With Smart Dimming, even at 85 the Vizio will still go absolutely black, so for my purposes its the best of both worlds -- plenty of lumins to look good in a bright environment but still able to go jet black when its dark.

I will pull out my calibration gear again and play with the backlight setting to see if I'm missing something.

Thanks for the clarification Kevin!

My family room does have some ambient light coming from the kitchen next to it and if a light is turned on the the room.....they are on dimmers. No windows. Sliding glass door, but to the right and behind the TV.

We watch most of our programming with either a dimmed light in the room or with the light off and some light coming from the kitchen. The 13 backlight setting from CNET works great for us.
post #813 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM

The closest Costco still doesnt have any stock but they are finally offering the 47" online so I went ahead and bought it even though it cost me $100 for the shipping. I figured the extra year warranty and the 90 day return window justified it. Havent received a shipping date yet but suppose it will be sometime mid next week.

Appreciate all the info you contributors have posted here. It sounds like a great set (I have only seen a 32 at Sams Club in person but it looked good). Will post my thoughts once I receive it.
post #814 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

A lot of enthusiasm for this set. I look forward to seeing one in a store.
post #815 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Someone asked for other settings, so for what they are worth, here are my calibrated settings using Calman software, EyeOnePro spectrometer, and Accupel signal generator. Not everyone likes the look of an ISF calibration, but try it for a while and see if it doesn't grow on you. That being said, it's your TV so watch it anyway you want - just know that blown-out whites and neon greens and reds and are not necessarily what the director intended.

No warranty express or implied; proceed at your own risk; caveat emptor; your mileage may vary; kids, don't try this at home; etc.

Backlight 85
Brightness 50
Contrast 49
Color 47
Tint 0
Sharp 3

Gains: R=116; B=123; G=111
Bias: R=119; B=125; G=125

All Advanced Picture features turned off except Smart Dimming

Kevin, thanks for posting these. These are by far my favorite settings I've tried. I too have a really bright room but I lowered the backlight to 72 and it is just right. I think I can finally stop messing around with this thing. Thanks again!
post #816 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 PM

What about the "Wide" setting, which controls the aspect ratio?

To maximize picture quality, should it be set at Normal or Wide? Is it different for Blu-rays and cable 1080i broadcasts? Thanks...
post #817 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottfather View Post

What about the "Wide" setting, which controls the aspect ratio? To maximize picture quality, should it be set at Normal or Wide? Is it different for Blu-rays and cable 1080i broadcasts? Thanks...

To achieve one-to-one pixel mapping for 1080 sources (i or p sources), use the "Normal" setting -- the Vizio does perfect pixel mapping (verified with a magnifying glass). From my seating distance, the Vizio delivers more resolution than my eyes can resolve.

ISF Certified
post #818 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I discovered I have the "Ambient Light Sensor" set to "Middle." When I turned it off, I see that a backlight setting of 85 could burn your retinas. I think my actual backlight setting is approximately 50.

I'm impressed that I hadn't notice this before because it means this feature works unobtrusively and explains why I've been happy with lights both on and off.

I'll continue to play with backlight settings, but clearly 85 is too high.

ISF Certified
post #819 of 4755 Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Does anyone have any information on the XVT423SV being stocked at Costco? My local Samsclub has it in stock but I'd prefer to use my Amex and buy at Costco. Thanks.
post #820 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 AM

Football looks great on this TV! I just wish they put the composite and component inputs in another spot. The bar from the rack is completely blocking them. Do side angle cables exist?
post #821 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck37 View Post

daveytn

I have dish network and the remote will control about 90% of the Visio features. I scanned the codes and found #598 worked for me. I hope this helps.

Hey - Thanks for the reply. That is a big help. One other question; how high is the infared eye on the TV? Can someone that owns this series of TV (and who is using the stand) measure the distance from the bottom of the stand where the TV sits to the infared eye? The reason I'm asking - We have a Sony Soundbar that I would like to place in front of the bottom of the TV but don't want to block the infared eye on the TV (in case I use the Dish Network IR remote). Thanks!!
post #822 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowstern View Post

Does anyone have any information on the XVT423SV being stocked at Costco? My local Samsclub has it in stock but I'd prefer to use my Amex and buy at Costco. Thanks.

I got mine at SamsClub not only because it wasn't available at Costco, but lately SamsClub seems to be offering lower prices on identical TVs that both clubs have (sometimes ALOT lower). Also, you'll notice SamsClub's additional 3-year warranty (3 years on top of the manufacturer's warranty), whose cost is based on the price of the item, is a pretty good deal. (Just a suggestion... i don't work for them)
post #823 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenking View Post

I got mine at SamsClub not only because it wasn't available at Costco, but lately SamsClub seems to be offering lower prices on identical TVs that both clubs have (sometimes ALOT lower). Also, you'll notice SamsClub's additional 3-year warranty (3 years on top of the manufacturer's warranty), whose cost is based on the price of the item, is a pretty good deal. (Just a suggestion... i don't work for them)

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the 42" at sam's as well. It's such a good deal. I have been going back and forth between this tv and the Panasonic G25 46". I'll post impressions if I get this tonight.
post #824 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm so envious of you guys, ha. I just don't have 1.8k laying around right now. Besides I'm starting my Christmas shopping for my son early. You have to nowadays instead of waiting until the last minute. If you guys wouldn't mind posting pics of your setups so that I can drool over them until I can actually pick mines up. I also heard some guy saying something about him owning a 360 and was really interested in him posting a video with showing how well it works with gaming. Just a thought cheer to you mate.
post #825 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM

After reading through 27 pages of this post, I feel I've earned the right to make a few observations:
  1. Some people are really anal. Glad I don't work in retail.
  2. Watching the television is such an enormous part of some people's lives that the idea of waiting a few days or weeks for a particular model to arrive is almost unbearable.

I'm currently in the market and from what I can see, the best thing about the XVT3 series is bang-for-the-buck, i.e., full array local dimming for an amazing price. That's what attracts me. If these sets were priced more in line with other full array local dimmers, like the LGs, it could be a very different story.

I'm still not sold on the superiority of LEDs to CCFLs. I'm like the majority who don't watch TV in blackout conditions, and I have yet to be convinced of the need to spend extra hundreds of dollars for an LED-based TV (and then to have to put up with the idiosyncrasies of that technology). From what I have read, LED-based TVs are better for the manufacturers than for consumers.

The XVT3 sets are interesting because they narrow the cost differential between CCFL and full array local dimming LED. That's particularly true when you consider that there's no need to spend extra on a WiFi dongle.

But I'm still not convinced. I've been down this road too many times, spending extra money for features that barely matter after the first two weeks.
GatorJZ likes this.
post #826 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoviper View Post

After reading through 27 pages of this post, I feel I've earned the right to make a few observations:
  2. Watching the television is such an enormous part of some people's lives that the idea of waiting a few days or weeks for a particular model to arrive is almost unbearable.

I'm currently in the market and from what I can see, the best thing about the XVT3 series is bang-for-the-buck, i.e., full array local dimming for an amazing price. That's what attracts me. If these sets were priced more in line with other full array local dimmers, like the LGs, it could be a very different story.

I'm still not sold on the superiority of LEDs to CCFLs. I'm like the majority who don't watch TV in blackout conditions, and I have yet to be convinced of the need to spend extra hundreds of dollars for an LED-based TV (and then to have to put up with the idiosyncrasies of that technology). From what I have read, LED-based TVs are better for the manufacturers than for consumers.

The XVT3 sets are interesting because they narrow the cost differential between CCFL and full array local dimming LED. That's particularly true when you consider that there's no need to spend extra on a WiFi dongle.

But I'm still not convinced. I've been down this road too many times, spending extra money for features that barely matter after the first two weeks.

I think you have a good point - my 2007 Toshiba 46" Cinema TV, other than black levels, still has a great picture - and some of those CCFL Samsungs are excellent values. In fact, i prefer it when using it connected to a computer. Personally, I prefer the look of the whites on a CCFL over those on an LED TV, but, that said, I have the 55 inch model XVT3, and it is impressive. LED (with that wonderful local dimming) is the only way to get those deep blacks with LCD-based technology - so in that sense the price premium is worth it. I am 100% with you that the LED technology is overpriced, and overhyped - if you arent using local dimming tech, then I have a hard time getting the point of LED tech unless a 1/2 inch thick panel is a high priority for you. This TV was the only way I was willing to go for it - the other TVs are just too damn expensive - I had considered getting another CCFL TV, but since I already had one, i didnt feel like there was enough of an improvement to justify the purchase. The XVT3 is a hell of an improvement though - still, i wish the whites were more like they were on my toshiba. However, with the calibration settings that were just recently posted with green dialed way down to like 116 or whatever, that issue is MUCH improved.
post #827 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM

You can also just shift the color temp settings to "cool" to get those computer style whites.
post #828 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2494 View Post

I'm so envious of you guys, ha. I just don't have 1.8k laying around right now. Besides I'm starting my Christmas shopping for my son early. You have to nowadays instead of waiting until the last minute. If you guys wouldn't mind posting pics of your setups so that I can drool over them until I can actually pick mines up. I also heard some guy saying something about him owning a 360 and was really interested in him posting a video with showing how well it works with gaming. Just a thought cheer to you mate.

posting a pic/video isn't really going to help you decide so i dont really see the point there, but I can tell you that gaming lag, while not incredibly low, isnt as high as my old TV. I just played through the entire Bioshock 2 DLC, called Minerva's Den - and it was great. this game looks really nice on the xbox - save up your cash and get one of thease TVs if you can. i found that leaving adaptive luma turned ON for gaming DID help lighten up some of the dark areas in games. interestingly, adaptive LUMA is a setting that is NOT persistent across all inputs, so i can leave it ON for my PS3 and XBOX, but then OFF for watching movies or TV. Very cool.
post #829 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboRUSH View Post

You can also just shift the color temp settings to "cool" to get those computer style whites.

ohh that made it sooo blue...if anything that is the opposite of where I want to be!
post #830 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going to buy the LG Infinia 8500 55" and after owning the 553 for a few weeks now, I'm fully convinced that I made the right decision regardless of the price.

Why do I say that? I was leery of the highly reflective screen on the LG, but figured I could work around it. I was less concerned about the banding issues.

I am so glad that the Vizio has the matte screen. My room is light controlled, but inevitably there will be a light on occasionally and the screen handles ambient light very well.

As to LED's in TV's and whether they are worth the price of admission.....I would say that the edge-lit sets are not. A well-designed CCFL will be just as good if not better especially in screen uniformity over the edge-lit LED. You do however get the thinness factor that many people love.

LED's in a fully backlit configuration with local dimming are a big improvement over other LCD lighting technologies. Having great black levels reallly enhances PQ and makes the picture much more real.

IMO the Vizio xx3 series are priced right and to sell.
post #831 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:

I would love to argue with you, but you are right. Sadly, I get caught up in "getting my new toy" and want it NOW. I did the same thing with a car - you read, research, post on message boards, etc., and you've GOT TO HAVE IT.

For me, some of the fun is the "chase" in getting something. I like finding a great deal from a respectable retailer.

Bottom line for me is I chased down a great price on a really good TV. I'm happy.
post #832 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

I was going to buy the LG Infinia 8500 55" and after owning the 553 for a few weeks now, I'm fully convinced that I made the right decision regardless of the price.

Why do I say that? I was leery of the highly reflective screen on the LG, but figured I could work around it. I was less concerned about the banding issues.

I am so glad that the Vizio has the matte screen. My room is light controlled, but inevitably there will be a light on occasionally and the screen handles ambient light very well.

I can tell you that you made a good choice, one you should not regret. I just returned my LG 55LX9500 for uniformity and banding and purchased the 553. Each set has it's benefits...but given the flaws on the LG, the 553 is definitely the set I would choose to keep. Without the LGs flaws I would choose the LG no question.

I'm torn on the glossy vs matte screen thing. On one hand, the glossy screen on the LG really makes the colors and contrast pop in dark viewing, which I really do miss, and on the other hand daytime viewing was a little tedious with all kinds of relections.
post #833 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 04:12 PM

When watching a 2.35:1 movie, has anyone been able to get the black bars on the top and bottom of the image to be black, as in totally turned off?

I have dimming on, but they have that characteristic LCD 'glow'.
post #834 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdefroy View Post

posting a pic/video isn't really going to help you decide so i dont really see the point there, but I can tell you that gaming lag, while not incredibly low, isnt as high as my old TV. I just played through the entire Bioshock 2 DLC, called Minerva's Den - and it was great. this game looks really nice on the xbox - save up your cash and get one of thease TVs if you can. i found that leaving adaptive luma turned ON for gaming DID help lighten up some of the dark areas in games. interestingly, adaptive LUMA is a setting that is NOT persistent across all inputs, so i can leave it ON for my PS3 and XBOX, but then OFF for watching movies or TV. Very cool.

Thanks for the response, but I wasn't requesting it to decide on the set. I'm already set on buying the tele, just would like to see how some people have it set up in their homes. As for the videos, I haven't actually seen this set in motion except for the Cnet.com review. Just thought it would be nice to see how some games run on this set. I'll be posting pics/videos as soon as this puppy is set up in my house.
post #835 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree that "LED" has become the new marketing gimmick for LCD tvs, just as "1080p" , "120 hz", "4 ms", etc were employed in past to get people to upgrade. However, the Vizio XVT553SV imho has raised the bar for black level peformance in LCD sets. This tv has a bunch of other features (wifi, bluetooth remote, widgets, etc.), but the bottom line to me is picture quality. This tv is so nice that I cannot bear to watch my other tv, a Sony 46Z5100 (considered mid to high end a few years back). If you don't mind the hassle of lugging a big a** box home I would recommend buying one at a local retailer (Sam's, Costco, etc.) and testing it out. Maybe your hesitancy is buying a Vizio branded tv? I was extremely hesitant in buying a Vizio, but was also amused at the how much Sony, Samsung, and LG wanted for their high end LED sets. Heck, I don't think Sony even offers local dimming until you reach the $3k price point. Give this set a chance and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
post #836 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdefroy View Post

I think you have a good point - my 2007 Toshiba 46" Cinema TV, other than black levels, still has a great picture - and some of those CCFL Samsungs are excellent values. In fact, i prefer it when using it connected to a computer. Personally, I prefer the look of the whites on a CCFL over those on an LED TV, but, that said, I have the 55 inch model XVT3, and it is impressive. LED (with that wonderful local dimming) is the only way to get those deep blacks with LCD-based technology - so in that sense the price premium is worth it. I am 100% with you that the LED technology is overpriced, and overhyped - if you arent using local dimming tech, then I have a hard time getting the point of LED tech unless a 1/2 inch thick panel is a high priority for you. This TV was the only way I was willing to go for it - the other TVs are just too damn expensive - I had considered getting another CCFL TV, but since I already had one, i didnt feel like there was enough of an improvement to justify the purchase. The XVT3 is a hell of an improvement though - still, i wish the whites were more like they were on my toshiba. However, with the calibration settings that were just recently posted with green dialed way down to like 116 or whatever, that issue is MUCH improved.

I want to understand. Are the whites on the XVT3 brillant white or toward the grayish side? I hope it is the former.
post #837 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

I want to understand. Are the whites on the XVT3 brillant white or toward the grayish side? I hope it is the former.

i'd love to know this too - i'm really interested in this tv for hockey. i saw a sony kdl60ex700 and the whites blew me away. i hope this tv is similar =but i'm having trouble finding a sams with it in stock.

anyone see hockey on this set?

eddieras
post #838 of 4755 Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:

I discovered I have the "Ambient Light Sensor" set to "Middle." When I turned it off, I see that a backlight setting of 85 could burn your retinas. I think my actual backlight setting is approximately 50.

I'm impressed that I hadn't notice this before because it means this feature works unobtrusively and explains why I've been happy with lights both on and off.

I'll continue to play with backlight settings, but clearly 85 is too high.

Thanks for your posts with the ISF settings Kevin! I am really enjoying them so far, but had two quick questions.

What is you actual backlight setting? I have mine at 50, and even that still seems bright. Also, with the advanced features, do you have film mode set to off, or auto? I'm assuming off.

I've also been playing around with the smooth motion settings while watching sports, and it really helps. But, I'd like to know what the differences are between the smooth and precision modes?

Thanks, and I am LOVING this TV!

Ron
post #839 of 4755 Old 09-11-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbuystinks View Post

Maybe your hesitancy is buying a Vizio branded tv? I was extremely hesitant in buying a Vizio, but was also amused at the how much Sony, Samsung, and LG wanted for their high end LED sets. Heck, I don't think Sony even offers local dimming until you reach the $3k price point. Give this set a chance and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

What makes XVT3 a potential game changer is the low price. I mean, holy cow, it's low to start with and you don't have to pay for a (WiFi) dongle. I wish the USB ports worked (and I have little faith in Vizio's promises), and I wish it had DLNA, and I'm leery of firmware with "RC1" in its name...but, heck, it's got PQ that the reviewers really like. For a low price.

What bothers me about Vizio is that everything is third party. Vizio itself is just a small sales office in California. That's a great way to keep your costs down, but it doesn't lend itself to good service.

Then there's blooming, which gets worse off-angle (or so I have read) and other issues inherent in LED technology.

Do I really want to deal with all that when I can buy a perfectly good CCFL which has none of those issues? I'm certainly open to persuasion, but I have a hard time believing that LED is in the consumer's interest.
post #840 of 4755 Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I dont see how its anyone's responsibility to convince anyone else to buy a tv. Either you want it, and buy it...or you dont. Its that simple. No one is trying to do any persuading in this thread. Its a thread for owners and potential owners. If you are not convinced by the technology or quality, then perhaps you should just move on. I dont mean any malice in this reply, I just dont get why in every tv thread there are people who need to be convinced by others to purchase a product. Its your money, spend it how you please.

I guess its not enough that there are several dedicated threads to this discussion of ccfl vs led, it has to be carried into every individual tv thread now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page