Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4753 Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Hopefully the 553 will also be available at Costco which is my preferred option due to the 90 day return policy as well as the extra year warranty.

It's always difficult to be an early adopter, but this set is based off of the 551 and 552 with more dimming zones, so more than likely an improvement in PQ.

The only other LCD/LED set that I've been interested in is the 55" LG Infinia 8500, But it's quite a bit more.

I've even been asking myself lately.....why not go with a plasma?.....heck, I can get a 58" Samsung for less than the 553...........I don't really know what to do......

exact same boats as u lol.. the 8500's a fair amount more for a seemingly equally good pq set.. i've chosen the 8500 or lh90 if the 553 doesnt work out for me in the end hehe.

and yeah, i saw a few panny plasmas at Fry's, i absolutely loved them too, except my preference was slightly more towards "more pop", so led sets became the route for me.

do u know if costco will price around the same as amazon? how about tax too, if i had a choice i would perhaps go costco as well since you mentioned the 90day returns..do they charge restocking fee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4753 Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknakk View Post

exact same boats as u lol.. the 8500's a fair amount more for a seemingly equally good pq set.. i've chosen the 8500 or lh90 if the 553 doesnt work out for me in the end hehe.

and yeah, i saw a few panny plasmas at Fry's, i absolutely loved them too, except my preference was slightly more towards "more pop", so led sets became the route for me.

do u know if costco will price around the same as amazon? how about tax too, if i had a choice i would perhaps go costco as well since you mentioned the 90day returns..do they charge restocking fee?

Looks like we are of one mind!

Costco will likely be about $100 less than Amazon based on the price trend of the 552. That's my guess.

There is tax unless you live in Delaware...or another state without sales tax.

No restocking fee.

No clue as to when they will receive.

I hate to spend the amount required for the LG 8500....wish it was about $2K........but it has received good reviews and does pique my interest. I'm hoping the Vizio draws me away so I can save a few clams.
post #63 of 4753 Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Looks like we are of one mind!

Costco will likely be about $100 less than Amazon based on the price trend of the 552. That's my guess.

There is tax unless you live in Delaware...or another state without sales tax.

No restocking fee.

No clue as to when they will receive.

I hate to spend the amount required for the LG 8500....wish it was about $2K........but it has received good reviews and does pique my interest. I'm hoping the Vizio draws me away so I can save a few clams.

yeah im in cali, costco will tax, amazon wont..thats where the 100buck diff would play out i guess lol.
i really appreciate you mentioning the costco policy, that in itself already helps with my current struggle i been rambling about lol..just that yeah, no eta on when they will go live over there, but on amazon there is eta launch within the next 2 or 3 weeks!!

i wish the LE8500 was in budget range too, it still goes for over 2.5grand on amazon..and after reading the owner's thread and seeing it for myself in the store, banding troubles and one of the most reflective sets on the market yet, hence it's an after thought now after this new Vizio for me..after thought, not exclusion, the 8500 is one of the best panels i looked at in person in terms of pop and natural/high-end PQ and most important to me, viewing angles.

this new Vizio should match if not beat the 8500, and having a matte screen is like super awesome.. we'll wait for the pros to review it soon enough =)
post #64 of 4753 Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah im in cali, costco will tax, amazon wont..thats where the 100buck diff would play out i guess lol.
i really appreciate you mentioning the costco policy, that in itself already helps with my current struggle i been rambling about lol..just that yeah, no eta on when they will go live over there, but on amazon there is eta launch within the next 2 or 3 weeks!!

i wish the LE8500 was in budget range too, it still goes for over 2.5grand on amazon..and after reading the owner's thread and seeing it for myself in the store, banding troubles and one of the most reflective sets on the market yet, hence it's an after thought now after this new Vizio for me..after thought, not exclusion, the 8500 is one of the best panels i looked at in person in terms of pop and natural/high-end PQ and most important to me, viewing angles.

this new Vizio should match if not beat the 8500, and having a matte screen is like super awesome.. we'll wait for the pros to review it soon enough =)

I've stared at the 8500 at both Best Buy and Crutchfield in Charlottesville for easily an hour each time. Have not seen banding, but have definitely seen the reflections. Store lighting not helping. I have controlled lighting at home, so reflections would not be an issue most of the time. It's a beautiful set. However, I would probably be just as happy spending $700 - $ 800 LESS on the Vizio even if it was not quite up to the status of the LG. That's alot of money to give away.

I really hope that the 553 pans out by getting good user reviews as well as pro reviews.

Anybody work for or know someone at Costco who can give us a heads-up on when the stores might get them? A Costco Item # would be wonderful!
post #65 of 4753 Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Does anybody know if this set will include dlna support and play mkv files and divx hd files?
post #66 of 4753 Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfreaks View Post

Does anybody know if this set will include dlna support and play mkv files and divx hd files?

Did you check the manual?

http://www.vizio.com/documents/downl...r%20Manual.pdf
post #67 of 4753 Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It says that these models can reproduce over a billion colors. Does that mean these sets support deep color?
post #68 of 4753 Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
beq

^ Do you mean something similar to those wide color gamut computer monitors (such as the NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2-BK with a 26" 1920x1200 H-IPS panel, which I recently bought for a family member)?

Speaking of, I have a newbie question -- do all HDTVs on the market also use IPS, or a different panel technology?
post #69 of 4753 Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

don't understand what you are asking... how would you stream mkv files directly onto a tv set? through a usb port? i thought everyone uses a dvd/bluray player, or ps3, or xbox, or pc for all "dlna/mkv/divx" stuff.. ._.
if anything it should be "compliant" or "compatible" .. but playing the files itself? -confused-

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

It says that these models can reproduce over a billion colors. Does that mean these sets support deep color?

that shouldn't really matter...all just part of marketing gimmicks..if you want to know, the previous xvt1 and xvt2 series picture quality/color accuracy was better if not on par with the best samsungs/LGs at the time for the price range, go find the Cnet videos.
hence everyone here is predicting this new xvt3 model would do even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beq View Post

^ Do you mean something similar to those wide color gamut computer monitors (such as the NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2-BK with a 26" 1920x1200 H-IPS panel, which I recently bought for a family member)?

Speaking of, I have a newbie question -- do all HDTVs on the market also use IPS, or a different panel technology?

eeps! don't ask that here, you'll get ur ass handed to ya by the oldtimers on avs...just do a Search, this site has discussions covering all that already =)

from my own 8 or so months of reading/googling/forums, i only found 3 brands to use IPS panels. LG, Panasonic, and Vizio. not sure about Sony, but i know Samsung caters to "mass market" and they don't care about IPS, majority of their panels are a form of PVA and some TN too, hence when you're at a Bestbuy or walmart their black levels get smashed from different viewing positions..but if you're in their "sweetspot", they have one of the most breathtaking pictures! which is just what PVA does..

that's a diff topic, but for the vizio 3sv, i remember they posted utilizing IPS panels again, as they did with the predecessors (check the amazon or vizio site comments stuff, it's somewhere there)

hope this helps =)!
post #70 of 4753 Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 AM

[quote=niknakk;18964129]don't understand what you are asking... how would you stream mkv files directly onto a tv set? through a usb port? i thought everyone uses a dvd/bluray player, or ps3, or xbox, or pc for all "dlna/mkv/divx" stuff.. ._.
if anything it should be "compliant" or "compatible" .. but playing the files itself? -confused-[/QUOTE=niknakk;18964129]

Basically, you can use DNLA, if the set supports it, and stream it over ethernet or wi-fi and the set will decode it and play the supported files. I did check the user manual and it doesnt mention dnla support.
post #71 of 4753 Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM
beq

Quote:

eeps! don't ask that here, you'll get ur ass handed to ya by the oldtimers on avs...

Good to know And thanks for the info!

Quote:

Basically, you can use DNLA, if the set supports it, and stream it over ethernet or wi-fi and the set will decode it and play the supported files. I did check the user manual and it doesnt mention dnla support.

Unfortunately I don't think Vizio (including its new XVT**3SV series) supports DLNA/UPnP AV to play networked media. Not sure if/when it will? For example, here's a quote from CNET's review of the VF552XVT:

"Unlike most other Internet-enabled TVs, the 2XVT series currently does not offer streaming of your music, photos and video via a home network (DLNA) or USB stick."

I recall that at least a couple of Samsung TV models do support DLNA, not sure about any others?
post #72 of 4753 Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ahh okie thanks for clearing that up : D but for me personally, this aspect won't matter to me, i'll be handling any decoding or whatsoever from my pc/ps3/wii, this tv will do simply what it does best, display the picture!
remember, everyone has their own individual needs and wants in a set, there's no perfect tv in the market! =)

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't think Vizio (including its new XVT**3SV series) supports DLNA/UPnP AV to play networked media. Not sure if/when it will? For example, here's a quote from CNET's review of the VF552XVT:

"Unlike most other Internet-enabled TVs, the 2XVT series currently does not offer streaming of your music, photos and video via a home network (DLNA) or USB stick."

I recall that at least a couple of Samsung TV models do support DLNA, not sure about any others?

hmm if cnet pointed that out for the old model, i'm pretty sure vizio would have taken that into account in designing its successor, so even if there's nothing documenting support for dlna or not, can't be too sure until people start getting their hands on it ^^
post #73 of 4753 Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Based on what I've read about LEDs, I would imagine the loss in brightness has to do with current LED technology. Even expensive LEDs have ~50,000 hrs lifetime when properly cooled.
post #74 of 4753 Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hay now, no reason to get so harsh about tv manufacturers, they simply cater to what the market today demands and market trends..bigger, cheaper, retina-searing.

and Vizio said on their site that their goal is to keep their products within the $2k range regardless, which was one of the contributing factors to why the ended up cancelling the 72inch model..so i don't think you'll ever see Vizio with a "4k tv", at least any time soon.

lastly, who the hell has 16hours to spend every day 7 days a week watching tv? @_@ we have jobs, kids have school.

we won't deny tube tvs "crt" are still the superior form over today's lcd/plasma...but yeah, they lose brightness regardless too. nothing is perfect. in fact every type of tv will lose brightness too..plasmas also lose their black level deepness regardless of brand/manufacturer, simply the way "plasma phosphors" behave (as recently quoted directly from panasonic)..older ccfl lcds also lose their lamp lifes, even dlp does/did too.

and to say "won't even last 5 years" is really cutting it short..it will easily run past 7 if not 8 years for the average "2000 dollar" shopper.

everything has their "lifespan"...cars you replace within 5-10years because of market depreciate, computers and laptops you replace every 2 or 3 years infact.. televisions, are the last thing anyone would think about "replacing" simply because they don't see any need to, why? 'cus they last the longest, doesn't matter what they were "specced at".

so stop whining about the led brightness. it's not like this is a 5grand Kuro or a 3grand Sony or something. it's a sub 2grand panel..guarantee your other samsungs and lgs at the same price if not even pricier would last the same amount of time as these vizios. there's other more critical technical flaws to focus on like blooming, uniformity, halo, judder, the list goes on.. led lifespan would be one of the last things to affect your decision when you're shopping.

and cawgijoe, costco seems to be off the retailers list for the 3sv, at least for now.. ._. i just saw something on the amazon comments saying retailers only include amazon, some other online retailer, and sams club.
poop. i don't have a sam's club membership.

I do have a Sam's Club membership..........as well as Costco............
post #75 of 4753 Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A quick reminder of the forums basic rules, see below.

Thanks

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #76 of 4753 Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM

Amazon shows it in stock.
post #77 of 4753 Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Liked: 11
Sure does. So who will be the first to buy?
post #78 of 4753 Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post

Sure does. So who will be the first to buy?

If it was this time last week, I would have ordered one but I ordered another TV and it's due to be delivered any day now. The nice thing about ordering a Vizio is their 'zero bright pixel' policy.
post #79 of 4753 Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

First person who gets one.....please post pics and review......thanks!
post #80 of 4753 Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

If it was this time last week, I would have ordered one but I ordered another TV and it's due to be delivered any day now. The nice thing about ordering a Vizio is their 'zero bright pixel' policy.

Did you give back the Sharp?
post #81 of 4753 Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Did you give back the Sharp?

I did. Stuck pixels were bothering me. Which is why I like Vizio's pixel policy. Although I ordered an LG.
post #82 of 4753 Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It would have been nice if Vizio would have done an XVT 3 series in a 60".
post #83 of 4753 Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 PM

I don't normally do this but just purchased the TV today from Amazon. It will be arriving a little over a week from now. I am excited and nervous at the same time because I typically wait for reviews. There are no reviews out there so I am crossing my fingers that it is a great TV.

I have been watching the costs for Vizio 55" VF552XVT and Samsung C8000. There is a huge cost difference and 3D is not up to par yet. After speaking with Vizio support, not sales because their phone systems always disconnected me when I tried to connect to sales dept., they said a newer TV was expected in a month or two. I spoke to the support team member about a month ago so the guy was pretty accurate. I held off from buying the 552 and now the 553 is finally here.

Someone else here wrote it should be Ok for early adopters to purchase this TV because it's based off the 551 and 552 technology. Does anyone else agree? How about the batch concept where the later batches are better and possibly issues are resolved? I am second guessing my purchase but if I keep on waiting, there is no point in buying a TV.

Once I get the TV and spend a little time watching it, I will try to post my review here. Hopefully it will be all positive and I also hope to see other reviews here too!

From Vizio's website: One Year Parts & Labor Free Lifetime Technical Support (this should make buyers feel better)

Happy shopping everyone!
post #84 of 4753 Old 07-31-2010, 07:55 PM

Anyone know when the 423XVT will be released? I was about ready to jump for a E420VL with its newer 100,000:1 DCR, but if the 423 is coming soon and the price is right at Costco . . .
post #85 of 4753 Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenport47 View Post

Anyone know when the 423XVT will be released? I was about ready to jump for a E420VL with its newer 100,000:1 DCR, but if the 423 is coming soon and the price is right at Costco . . .

Amazon should have the 423 in stock on the 16th of August. Im interested in gettin that set too.
post #86 of 4753 Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:

I also wonder what kind of internal changes were made to be able to flatten the 552's 5" profile down to 3" thickness on the 553 model? And has the hardware (to run Vizio Internet Apps, etc) been upgraded for faster performance?

Probably not much. There is a lot of empty space inside the 552.
post #87 of 4753 Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Just curious: Are people on this thread completely convinced that Vizio's TruLED sets are worth significantly more ($1050 vs. $650 for the new "E" series with 100,000:1 DCR).

I realize that Dynamic Contrast Ratio is a bit flakey, but are we buying XVTs mainly for the apps, better blacks, or what? (I'm skeptical of paying for apps I may never use.)

Is the XVT processor itself is of higher quality? The technology is changing so quickly, I'm thinking of minimizing my investment at this time, but no one wants to sacrifice too much quality for the sake of a future purchase. These are difficult choices, even for a person who has been carefully looking at these sets (and who has tried a couple of different brands without satisfaction!). Comments welcome.
post #88 of 4753 Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenport47 View Post

Just curious: Are people on this thread completely convinced that Vizio's TruLED sets are worth significantly more ($1050 vs. $650 for the new "E" series with 100,000:1 DCR).

I realize that Dynamic Contrast Ratio is a bit flakey, but are we buying XVTs mainly for the apps, better blacks, or what? (I'm skeptical of paying for apps I may never use.)

Is the XVT processor itself is of higher quality? The technology is changing so quickly, I'm thinking of minimizing my investment at this time, but no one wants to sacrifice too much quality for the sake of a future purchase. These are difficult choices, even for a person who has been carefully looking at these sets (and who has tried a couple of different brands without satisfaction!). Comments welcome.

The main difference between the TruLED XVT series and the E series is that the TruLED XVT series uses full array LED backlighting with local dimming, while the E series uses conventional CCFL backlighting. Full array LED backlighting with local dimming (what Vizio calls TruLED, versus their Razor LED which is edge lit LED) is considered the best LCD technology available today. If your not familiar with the technology differences, I'd refer you too this CNET article. (sorry if you already knew this, but based on your question, it didn't sound like you did)

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-revi...contentBody;pm

I don't plan on spending the extra money on the xvt3 for the apps, though they're a welcome addition, I'm doing it for the full array LED backlighting with local dimming. And its not just about black levels, TruLED allows the set to show dark pictures in one part of the screen and brighter parts in another by dimming individual LED zones. Traditional backlighting schemes can only dim the entire backlight, so while they may have deep blacks, they can't display deep blacks at the same time as brights as well as a set with local dimming can.
post #89 of 4753 Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 PM
MKL

Regarding panel life, I have an old 20" VIZIO and I remember on the box it said "40000 hours panel life (time to half brightness)". Seems like 30000 hours is the time it takes for the brightness of the original to dim to half of original, not turning off once it hits 30k. I can't tell if they still measure lifetime this way however.
post #90 of 4753 Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeave View Post

The main difference between the TruLED XVT series and the E series is that the TruLED XVT series uses full array LED backlighting with local dimming, while the E series uses conventional CCFL backlighting. Full array LED backlighting with local dimming (what Vizio calls TruLED, versus their Razor LED which is edge lit LED) is considered the best LCD technology available today. If your not familiar with the technology differences, I'd refer you too this CNET article. (sorry if you already knew this, but based on your question, it didn't sound like you did)

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-revi...contentBody;pm

I don't plan on spending the extra money on the xvt3 for the apps, though they're a welcome addition, I'm doing it for the full array LED backlighting with local dimming. And its not just about black levels, TruLED allows the set to show dark pictures in one part of the screen and brighter parts in another by dimming individual LED zones. Traditional backlighting schemes can only dim the entire backlight, so while they may have deep blacks, they can't display deep blacks at the same time as brights as well as a set with local dimming can.

Thanks. I do know the basics.

On the matter of bright areas and dark areas, a conventional CCFL will have subjectively excellent blacks when bright areas appear on the screen. This just has to do with the way the brain interprets combinations of light and dark. I suppose, however, that a zone LED set will give more subtle image variety in dark scenes.

But does LED backlighting cause other unwanted artifacts? Are there disadvantages to this technology as well as advantages, picturewise?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page