AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk

817K views 5K replies 670 participants last post by  Heavy Mettle 
#1 ·
It's finally posted officially on the Vizio website!

the new highly anticipated/hyped Vizio XVT3SV series, with 120 Local Dimming LED zones.

the website prices the 55 inch model for $2,199.

that's insanely cheap for a brand spanking new model.

check it out: http://www.vizio.com/xvt553sv.html

and thoughts/opinions, can't wait to see professional reviews of it..

the other smaller sized models in the series are already posted on Amazon as well, with Amazon shipping them out in August.

55 inch panel already ready for pre-order:

nope, this is not a 3D tv. the 4 series will be 3D but higher priced and later release.

i personally don't give a crap for 3d anyways.

post update: the XVT553SV has started shipping! Currently, according to a Vizio rep, only Amazon , Walmart , Sam's Club and one more online retailer has the XVT553SV, the other smaller sized xvt3sv (47'' and below) might already be available at your local retailers =]

See less See more
#429 ·
Have not heard anything back from vizio, but:

The website for the 553 now has the correct bolt size.

"2) The bolt size for mounting this unit: Manual & Website - M8 x 16 mm x 0.7 mm pitch. After visiting 2 different hardware stores, the actual pitch turns out to be 1.25 mm. It is hot here where I live, and this made it a little hotter! And what torque value should these bolts be tightened to? Chat.Vizio Tech did not find the correct size."

and was able to register our 553's as of yesterday.

"9) Registration Website does not have this model listed, so I have not been able to register these units through your website."

So, some things are getting cleared up. 2 down and 10 to go. :)

note: items in quotes "" are from the letter.

#430 ·
Scottus

I think the response from Vizio is only partially correct. Any Dolby 5.1 audio that is received via HDMI will appear at the optical output as a 2 channel digital signal. If it is Dolby 5.1 audio entering via the antenna port (cable (QAM) or over the air) it will come out of the optical port as a digital signal with the Dolby 5.1 encoding. It is unclear what the capabilities are for VIA apps. This is true of most TV's not only Vizio. Excellent dialog about this appears on Facebook in the Vizio discussion section ( http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...36&topic=15112 ).

#431 ·
Had a small problem last night:

I hit the apps button to bring up the menu and check the weather. The screen resized to accommodate the apps ribbon on the bottom but the apps never populated. I hit the apps button again and no change. Then I hit a few other buttons on the remote and realized the TV was not responding to commands at all. After about 90 seconds, the TV shut off and the VIZIO light started to blink. I tried to turn it on to no avail. I unplugged it and waited a few minutes and when I plugged the power cord back in, the VIZIO light kept flashing.

I went back to finish dinner, figuring there was nothing more I could do but wait to return it this weekend but after about two minutes, the tv turned on and all was as it should have been.

Odd episode... hopefully this doesn't happen again.

#432 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire80 /forum/post/19104857

I call Sam's Club every few days for the 47" xvt473sv TV and they always tell me its a deleted item and they do not carry that item anymore. I just have to wait a bit longer untill they get it in stock.

I got the same response from my SoCal Sams (Glendora), then two days later the deleted item miraculously showed up on the floor (47"). I'm still waiting for the 55". Costco didn't have any, but they could at least tell me it was on order and should arrive early September. I really want this thing in place for NFL season kickoff...

#433 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital169 /forum/post/19105602

Scottus

I think the response from Vizio is only partially correct. Any Dolby 5.1 audio that is received via HDMI will appear at the optical output as a 2 channel digital signal. If it is Dolby 5.1 audio entering via the antenna port (cable (QAM) or over the air) it will come out of the optical port as a digital signal with the Dolby 5.1 encoding. It is unclear what the capabilities are for VIA apps. This is true of most TV's not only Vizio. Excellent dialog about this appears on Facebook in the Vizio discussion section ( http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...36&topic=15112 ).

My older Samsung LCD has the same behavior. It is definitely annoying when digital copy protection schemes interfere with legitimate usage scenarios. I don't use my sound system for anything other than TV, so to me it makes perfect sense and simplifies the setup to use the TV as the hub and pass through high quality audio to a single input on the tuner. Unfortunately, doesn't look like this will be supported any time soon.

#434 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital169 /forum/post/19105602

Scottus

I believe this to only be true of the older Vizio tv's. The VIAs output 5.1 as long as source content is outputting it. ( you may need to go into the DVD menu of bluray's and set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 rather then DTS. or within your player itself. Also, need to set the optical output of the TV to output dolby 5.1 )

#435 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmachete /forum/post/19105691

Had a small problem last night:

I hit the apps button to bring up the menu and check the weather. The screen resized to accommodate the apps ribbon on the bottom but the apps never populated. I hit the apps button again and no change. Then I hit a few other buttons on the remote and realized the TV was not responding to commands at all. After about 90 seconds, the TV shut off and the VIZIO light started to blink. I tried to turn it on to no avail. I unplugged it and waited a few minutes and when I plugged the power cord back in, the VIZIO light kept flashing.

I went back to finish dinner, figuring there was nothing more I could do but wait to return it this weekend but after about two minutes, the tv turned on and all was as it should have been.

Odd episode... hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Could have been a hiccup in your internet connection or power.

When initially setting up the TV, the orange Vizio light does blink a number of times before it turns solid orange....I'm assuming it's "booting up"......while moving the TV I knocked the power cord loose a couple of times and when plugged back in it would "reboot".

Hopefully it's just nothing.

These TV's have now almost become computer-like.

I have a friend with a 52" Sony W series LCD that had his TV freeze up one day and to fix it he had to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in. Came right back up.

#437 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 /forum/post/19106301

So I am close to deciding between this TV or a Samsung but have a question for the owners. When I go to BB or Fry's they usually have the new samsung led tvs for display. I really like the 3D like picture it displays. Can this Vizio display that type of look?

The 553 that I own is excellent and as far as I'm concerned has a better PQ than any of the current Samsungs because of it's black level (full LED backlighting with local dimming).

Samsung does not have a set this year with this superior LCD technology.

#438 ·
I've been following both threads for these 2 TVs for a while now, thanks to all who have been posting reviews!

I am very close to pulling the trigger on either a Sammy B860 or the Vizio 553. I found the Sammy at a great price, due to being last year's model and was about o get it when I came accross the 553. I will be watching in a room that has significant ambient light during the day, so the LED really appealed to me. My only question would be whether it looks great from off axis (the plasma definately will). My couch sits off center with the far right seat being dead center from the TV and about 12ft away. The far left seat is about 18ft away, which translates into about 48 degrees off center.

If any owners could comment on this please, it would be much appreciated!!!

#439 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakozacho /forum/post/19106361

I've been following both threads for these 2 TVs for a while now, thanks to all who have been posting reviews!

I am very close to pulling the trigger on either a Sammy B860 or the Vizio 553. I found the Sammy at a great price, due to being last year's model and was about o get it when I came accross the 553. I will be watching in a room that has significant ambient light during the day, so the LED really appealed to me. My only question would be whether it looks great from off axis (the plasma definately will). My couch sits off center with the far right seat being dead center from the TV and about 12ft away. The far left seat is about 18ft away, which translates into about 48 degrees off center.

If you turn the TV so the right and left seats are each 24 degrees off you'll have a fine picture from ALL the seats.

And the Vizio is gonna save you a lot of energy.

#440 ·

Quote:

We never even considered a plasma due to the amount of natural brightness in our home. First consideration LCD, then along came LCD with LED backlighting. We have had the 553 for a 3+ weeks now and it performs excellent in our situation. We have OTA, and have the SMART DIMMING and AMBIENT LIGHT controls in the "ON" position. The 553 provides consistent PQ in all varying light conditions set up this way for us as well as provides a real energy efficiency way to watch TV.

I'm sitting here in my study, 25 feet from the 553, head on, and the picture seems just as good at 12 feet. I just walked off 18 feet at more than 48 degrees and the picture has no noticeable degradation.

Also I'm looking at a 553 from about 45 feet and at about 45 degrees and can read the streamer at the bottom of the screen with 20/20 corrective lenses with no problems.

That's why we chose the 553.

We will be hanging the 553 that can be seen from the study, on an articulating-tilting-extension arm like this one, and will end up with a similar situation as yours, and hope this arm eliminates some of your like concerns: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-arti...0461113&sr=1-7

Will not be able to see this 553 from my study anymore, but I have an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid connected to my '09 24" iMac that will help out. But not surprisingly, I will miss the location of the 553.

Hope this helps in your decision.

#441 ·

Quote:

The Samsung has a glossy screen while the Vizio has a matte one. You may have glare issues with the glossy screen.

#443 ·
picked up the 553 at Costco today in Southlake, TX. the box is friggin huge. almost lost it out of my pickup due to the wind!

will post once I get it set up this weekend - i am waiting on a mount but I will probably test with my PS3 to check for judder on bluray before I install it - b/c if I see it, it's going back!

anyway, in the DFW area, Southlake had one left as of 4PM today and the Arlington store off of I-20 has 5. I think the store in Duncanville had some too but not sure how many - i think 3.

So they are out there!

#444 ·
I'm still waiting on input lag specs from someone. An early thanks goes out to anyone willing to take the time to figure it out. :-(

I don't care about upscaling input lag since I never play 480i games on HD anyway. I'm only really concerned about the 1080p native input lag that previous models had from Vizio. This TV looks perfect for me, but not if it lags by 60ms.

#446 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdefroy /forum/post/19107534

picked up the 553 at Costco today in Southlake, TX. the box is friggin huge. almost lost it out of my pickup due to the wind!

will post once I get it set up this weekend - i am waiting on a mount but I will probably test with my PS3 to check for judder on bluray before I install it - b/c if I see it, it's going back!

anyway, in the DFW area, Southlake had one left as of 4PM today and the Arlington store off of I-20 has 5. I think the store in Duncanville had some too but not sure how many - i think 3.

So they are out there!

I am in DFW here and looking for the 37". I don't think costco carry that yet but Sam has it in stock. I will wait another week and might just get it from Sam.

#447 ·
for the record, 1080p is smooth, no judder with the motion correction set to low, medium, or high. honestly can't tell the diff between those settings so i left it on low. i have my ps3 hooked up to it for testing. i will see if i can dig up a CRT and test input lag tomorrow. so far a really nice TV for HALF the cost, literally, of the sony HX909 and NO GLARE! Wish the menu system was a little slicker though - it works well but its not as 'pretty' as the XMB on Sony TVs - but cannot complain for the price and it's leaps ahead of my 2007 Toshiba

#448 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridlon /forum/post/19107934

I work at Costco in Idaho. The 473sv is in our system so we will be getting it.

I'm pretty sure we'll get all the XVT 3's There is a 32", 37", and 42" coming soon too.

What's the Costco stock# for the XVT473SV? Is it 473100 like the 553? I tried that but it wasn't in the system at my local costco in Roseville, CA. There have been six of the 553's in stock for the last week though...

#449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdefroy /forum/post/19108035

for the record, 1080p is smooth, no judder with the motion correction set to low, medium, or high. honestly can't tell the diff between those settings so i left it on low. i have my ps3 hooked up to it for testing. i will see if i can dig up a CRT and test input lag tomorrow. so far a really nice TV for HALF the cost, literally, of the sony HX909 and NO GLARE! Wish the menu system was a little slicker though - it works well but its not as 'pretty' as the XMB on Sony TVs - but cannot complain for the price and it's leaps ahead of my 2007 Toshiba

Thank you! =D

#450 ·
I bought an M550NV a couple of weeks ago from Costco. I was super happy with it. I passed on a Samsung that was $500 more because the Vizio looked so good. Fast forward to a few days ago. I was again in Costco, and I saw a XVT553SV on display. I couldn't see much difference between the one I owned and this one, except the XVT553SV was full array LED, and had twice the refresh rate. It was only a couple hundred dollars more so I bought it, and brought back the one I had purchased only a couple of weeks ago.

Once I got it home I started configuring the settings. I used a review on Cnet as a guide. I deviated from Cnet on a couple of settings but overall followed their recommendations. It took me about two hours to get the settings perfect. I loaded up a couple of Blu-rays and watched some Directv HD. Everything was going along perfectly. In fact I could see compression in the Directv signal I hadn't seen before, good and bad news there. The TV was so clear it showed flaws in the Directv signal I never knew were there.

Here comes the bad part. Last night I was watching The Informant on Blu-ray. During the opening scene, Mat Damon is walking through the office and suddenly the screen begins to stutter. It is as though the processor in the TV can't keep up with all the information, so it starts dropping frames. I adjust the smooth motion, and the Real Cinema mode. All the settings had the same stuttering, in fact the only one that was better than the rest was smooth motion set to low, and real cinema set to smooth. However, even that was stuttering and very noticeable.

I thought maybe this was an isolated incident, or the disk was bad. So I loaded up Iron Man, and the Dark Knight. Iron Man had a scene when Tony Stark is about to show off his missile system, two planes fly by. Again the stuttering. I didn't see anything wrong in the Dark Knight. I figured maybe it was the player.

Tonight, I load up my Xbox. I downloaded the trailer to Halo reach, it's also in 1080p. In a seemingly uncomplicated scene a woman is leaning over to talk to her kid, and BAM! the stuttering again. I noticed nothing like this on the less expensive model. Does this have something to do with the 240Hz? Could it be I have a defective TV and the product is normally awesome? The TV is too new to know for sure, but if someone else could run a similar test, I'd really like to know. I really hate taking things back to the store, and I am hoping there is a setting I can play with.

If anyone else has any info I'd appreciate it ryaneldridge@hotmail.com

#451 ·
No stuttering here of any kine on any source. Smooth as silk.

I have the Cnet settings and deviated by setting smooth motion on low and Cinema on smooth.

I have Directv also and it looks great.

Not sure what your issue is. Could be a setting on your blu-ray player and Xbox or the TV is defective.

And yes.....so far this TV has been awesome.

#452 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rme1 /forum/post/19108385

I bought an M550NV a couple of weeks ago from Costco. I was super happy with it. I passed on a Samsung that was $500 more because the Vizio looked so good. Fast forward to a few days ago. I was again in Costco, and I saw a XVT553SV on display. I couldn't see much difference between the one I owned and this one, except the XVT553SV was full array LED, and had twice the refresh rate. It was only a couple hundred dollars more so I bought it, and brought back the one I had purchased only a couple of weeks ago.

Once I got it home I started configuring the settings. I used a review on Cnet as a guide. I deviated from Cnet on a couple of settings but overall followed their recommendations. It took me about two hours to get the settings perfect. I loaded up a couple of Blu-rays and watched some Directv HD. Everything was going along perfectly. In fact I could see compression in the Directv signal I hadn't seen before, good and bad news there. The TV was so clear it showed flaws in the Directv signal I never knew were there.

Here comes the bad part. Last night I was watching The Informant on Blu-ray. During the opening scene, Mat Damon is walking through the office and suddenly the screen begins to stutter. It is as though the processor in the TV can't keep up with all the information, so it starts dropping frames. I adjust the smooth motion, and the Real Cinema mode. All the settings had the same stuttering, in fact the only one that was better than the rest was smooth motion set to low, and real cinema set to smooth. However, even that was stuttering and very noticeable.

I thought maybe this was an isolated incident, or the disk was bad. So I loaded up Iron Man, and the Dark Knight. Iron Man had a scene when Tony Stark is about to show off his missile system, two planes fly by. Again the stuttering. I didn't see anything wrong in the Dark Knight. I figured maybe it was the player.

Tonight, I load up my Xbox. I downloaded the trailer to Halo reach, it's also in 1080p. In a seemingly uncomplicated scene a woman is leaning over to talk to her kid, and BAM! the stuttering again. I noticed nothing like this on the less expensive model. Does this have something to do with the 240Hz? Could it be I have a defective TV and the product is normally awesome? The TV is too new to know for sure, but if someone else could run a similar test, I'd really like to know. I really hate taking things back to the store, and I am hoping there is a setting I can play with.

If anyone else has any info I'd appreciate it ryaneldridge@hotmail.com

I would honestly take it back to the store first even though I know it sucks to do that. But you have to get what you pay for, and just make sure first of all that the tv is or is not the issue. If it is the TV, I am sure you just got an unfortunate dud.