AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk

817K views 5K replies 670 participants last post by  Heavy Mettle 
#1 ·
It's finally posted officially on the Vizio website!

the new highly anticipated/hyped Vizio XVT3SV series, with 120 Local Dimming LED zones.

the website prices the 55 inch model for $2,199.

that's insanely cheap for a brand spanking new model.

check it out: http://www.vizio.com/xvt553sv.html

and thoughts/opinions, can't wait to see professional reviews of it..

the other smaller sized models in the series are already posted on Amazon as well, with Amazon shipping them out in August.

55 inch panel already ready for pre-order:

nope, this is not a 3D tv. the 4 series will be 3D but higher priced and later release.

i personally don't give a crap for 3d anyways.

post update: the XVT553SV has started shipping! Currently, according to a Vizio rep, only Amazon , Walmart , Sam's Club and one more online retailer has the XVT553SV, the other smaller sized xvt3sv (47'' and below) might already be available at your local retailers =]

See less See more
#503 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook /forum/post/19116293

I've been wondering about this for a while, but as nanostream brings it up maybe now is a good time. I know Costco doubles (or adds a year) to the manufacturer's warranty. I also know that Amercan Express doubles the manufacturer's warranty period. Does any one know if these two separate extra years combine when you purchase from Costco using American Express? I'm not a Costco member myself. I spoke to someone at American Express a while back. They were a bit confused and passed me off to someone who sounded less confused but was still not convincing. They said that "yes", if I purchased at Costco using American Express I would get three years warranty protection instead of one. They were going to send me something in writing (as I could find nothing on the Web) but I never received anything.

Anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks.

Yes,I called the warranty dept. at American Express and they said their coverage kicks in after Costco's.

#504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbuystinks /forum/post/19116475

The owner's manual says that the HDMI inputs are version 1.4. This means that the tv should be able to do return audio via HDMI. However, I can't get it to work. I will contact Vizio customer support and see if they can help. I'll keep you guys posted.

If the HDMI inputs are in fact 1.4 and your cable(s) are 1.4 you "should" have audio return without having to run the a toslink from the audio out on the display. I'm anxious to hear from any owners who are dealing with this.

#505 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbuystinks /forum/post/19116475

The owner's manual says that the HDMI inputs are version 1.4. This means that the tv should be able to do return audio via HDMI. However, I can't get it to work. I will contact Vizio customer support and see if they can help. I'll keep you guys posted.

The owner's manual maybe incorrect.....keep us informed.

#508 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdefroy /forum/post/19111783

i have done input lag tests and i am pretty disappointed.

i repeatedly get numbers in the low 60s OR numbers in the mid 90s.

i cannot account for the difference in these numbers. i have a laptop connected to a sony CRT over VGA and the 553 connected via HDMI/DVI. the displays are set to CLONE. Should I try a different computer? perhaps a high end video card in a newer computer would make sense? i just dont want to move a desktop all the way over to where i have the TV temporarily set up.

i'm using a camera set to 1/1000 (which dims out the CRT b/c it is only running at 60Hz - so i just take several and wait for the CRT to scan the area on the screen with the timer. i cannot explain why, but I either get 62-66ms or 94-98ms. This is with game mode on OR off. This is disappointing. Perhaps I am doing the tests improperly? Please dispense any advice you might have. is this too much? i'm wondering if I should return the TV, but if I do - i dont have any idea what else I'd buy!

If you don't mind, would you post your results in this thread , instructions for doing so are there as well. If you're not familiar with that thread it's an ongoing compilation of all the input lag numbers for gamers interested in displays.

#511 ·
Per Monoprice.com, for HDMI 1.4, "The new Audio Return Channel allows the HDMI connection between a television and A/V receiver to transmit audio two ways, both upstream and downstream. This eliminates the need for a separate audio cable and ensures you maintain the high digital audio quality of HDMI. Your experience is further enhanced by the LipSync functionality of HDMI which matches the audio and video of your programming compensating for any processor delays."

Sounds good for gamers if it works on this tv.

#512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanp /forum/post/19106827

If you turn the TV so the right and left seats are each 24 degrees off you'll have a fine picture from ALL the seats.

And the Vizio is gonna save you a lot of energy.

Thanks, but the love seat is off the same amount on the other side, so I don't think I can aim the screen any better. May be a moot point though as several people have tested the off angle view as acceptable/good.

Thanks guys!

#513 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler /forum/post/19106897

We never even considered a plasma due to the amount of natural brightness in our home. First consideration LCD, then along came LCD with LED backlighting. We have had the 553 for a 3+ weeks now and it performs excellent in our situation. We have OTA, and have the SMART DIMMING and AMBIENT LIGHT controls in the "ON" position. The 553 provides consistent PQ in all varying light conditions set up this way for us as well as provides a real energy efficiency way to watch TV.

I'm sitting here in my study, 25 feet from the 553, head on, and the picture seems just as good at 12 feet. I just walked off 18 feet at more than 48 degrees and the picture has no noticeable degradation.

Also I'm looking at a 553 from about 45 feet and at about 45 degrees and can read the streamer at the bottom of the screen with 20/20 corrective lenses with no problems.

That's why we chose the 553.

We will be hanging the 553 that can be seen from the study, on an articulating-tilting-extension arm like this one, and will end up with a similar situation as yours, and hope this arm eliminates some of your like concerns: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-arti...0461113&sr=1-7

Will not be able to see this 553 from my study anymore, but I have an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid connected to my '09 24" iMac that will help out. But not surprisingly, I will miss the location of the 553.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I needed to hear.

#515 ·
I finally broke down and bought the TV at Dell.com today (regular season football is getting dangerously close). Found a 15% coupon on ebay that works with electronics at Dell and it made the tv nice and cheap. It doesn't stack with the current 100 dollar sale that they have on the TV, but it still makes it a great deal.

#516 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbz22 /forum/post/19118294

I finally broke down and bought the TV at Dell.com today (regular season football is getting dangerously close). Found a 15% coupon on ebay that works with electronics at Dell and it made the tv nice and cheap. It doesn't stack with the current 100 dollar sale that they have on the TV, but it still makes it a great deal.

I did the same on Friday (although with the $100 sale...didn't look for a coupon).

It's supposed to arrive at my house sometime between Wednesday and Friday via Pilot freight. I've read very mediocre reviews of them on Amazon's forums, which is causing me to be slightly concerned.

#518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbz22 /forum/post/19118294

Found a 15% coupon on ebay that works with electronics at Dell and it made the tv nice and cheap. It doesn't stack with the current 100 dollar sale that they have on the TV, but it still makes it a great deal.

I just saw the same coupon offer...so it worked for you? Was a coupon code emailed to you as soon as you paid for it?

This is a substantial savings over the listed price.

Thanks.

#519 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_BAMA /forum/post/19118593

I just saw the same coupon offer...so it worked for you? Was a coupon code emailed to you as soon as you paid for it?

This is a substantial savings over the listed price.

Thanks.

Yep, I got it about 10 minutes or so after I bought it on ebay. I think the person had 4 or so left of them. Make sure you get the Dell Home one, not the Dell Home Outlet. It takes the 15% off the base price. Even with tax it was a great deal and less than Costco's price before tax.

#520 ·
just wanted to post this in case it helped someone program a harmony remote.

first of all, it is commonly known that vizios are funky with third party remotes, specifically relating to selecting inputs. Logitech has created special programming to handle direct input selection, but when you enter this model number (xvt553sv), it picks some other model as being 'close'...which is all good and well, BUT that model only has FOUR HDMI inputs so it doesn't work for this TV. I found better luck by entering the VF550M as my model number, which has 5 HDMI inputs and allowed me to directly access all five HDMI inputs. I DID have to delete a component input, but that is no big deal.

That was issue ONE - the other issue is that you do have to teach the harmony software some remote codes (such as the VIA button), but since the remote is bluetooth, it doesn't transmit IR codes with the remote is paired to the TV. I found that turning the TV off caused the remote to transmit IR codes for programming purposes OR you can also put the remote in PAIR mode - and for the 30 seconds or so it is in PAIR mode, it will transmit IR codes even while the TV is on. You can access pair mode by holding down record and GREEN for 5 seconds. See this link for details on that issue:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Remote...ls/td-p/458655

Anyway, hope this has helped those of you with harmony remotes - it was driving me CRAZY!

#521 ·
Just picked up a 553 a couple days ago and just noticed a couple purple spots showing up. I don't seem to notice them when the background is white but on a black background it is quite noticeable. Does anybody think I have some blown pixels? Other than that the picture quality is amazing!

#523 ·
Good day all, just joined the forum. Thanks for your in depth and frank discussion. I've been on the fence looking to replace my 7 month old 55 Toshiba that failed and couldn't be repaired locally. Toshiba was good enough to provide a complete refund so I went TV shopping again. After spending FAR too many hours scouring every website and forum conceivable, I stumbled across the XVT553SV. Even though the spousal unit was willing to tolerate 3D, I just couldn't justify the cost at this early stage. However, I found myself intrigued by this unit and set about trying to find this set so I could see for myself. We don't have Costco or BJ's in our area so I've been watching Sam's Club and Wal-mart in hopes of something happening locally. After plenty of blank stares and repeatedly being told that the unit was discontinued back in May or we don't know what's coming in, I was so seriously frustrated that I was ready to call it a day and just pick up an LG this weekend. Then, I came across Ribbz22's post about the Dell coupon on Ebay. Based upon your discussions and CNET's review, I decided I would roll the dice and buy sight unseen. I tracked down the coupon and pulled the trigger. Coupon worked like a charm and, as Ribbz22 pointed out, even though you couldn't stack the coupon, the savings were considerable. ETA for the set is late this week!! Hope to have good news to report to you coming out of the Labor Day Weekend.

#525 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Mettle /forum/post/19120694

I was all over Ebay but was not able to find any coupon.

Search "Dell Home Coupon" and it should pop up. Looks like the guy realized that people were using it to get the 553 at a good price, so it appears he increased the coupons cost by 10 bucks. You still get a deal, but it will cost 10 more than it did yesterday.

#526 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierofever88 /forum/post/19120612

Good day all, just joined the forum. Thanks for your in depth and frank discussion. I've been on the fence looking to replace my 7 month old 55 Toshiba that failed and couldn't be repaired locally. Toshiba was good enough to provide a complete refund so I went TV shopping again. After spending FAR too many hours scouring every website and forum conceivable, I stumbled across the XVT553SV. Even though the spousal unit was willing to tolerate 3D, I just couldn't justify the cost at this early stage. However, I found myself intrigued by this unit and set about trying to find this set so I could see for myself. We don't have Costco or BJ's in our area so I've been watching Sam's Club and Wal-mart in hopes of something happening locally. After plenty of blank stares and repeatedly being told that the unit was discontinued back in May or we don't know what's coming in, I was so seriously frustrated that I was ready to call it a day and just pick up an LG this weekend. Then, I came across Ribbz22's post about the Dell coupon on Ebay. Based upon your discussions and CNET's review, I decided I would roll the dice and buy sight unseen. I tracked down the coupon and pulled the trigger. Coupon worked like a charm and, as Ribbz22 pointed out, even though you couldn't stack the coupon, the savings were considerable. ETA for the set is late this week!! Hope to have good news to report to you coming out of the Labor Day Weekend.

Glad you took advantage. Hopefully we will get it soon so we can post some impressions!

#527 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbz22 /forum/post/19120840

Search "Dell Home Coupon" and it should pop up. Looks like the guy realized that people were using it to get the 553 at a good price, so it appears he increased the coupons cost by 10 bucks. You still get a deal, but it will cost 10 more than it did yesterday.

Ok,got it.Thanks. That's a nice savings. Right now,I'm deciding on whether to take this deal and use the savings to buy an extended warranty from Vizio (which starts after the original one year warranty) or wait for Costco and their generous return and warranty policy purchased with Amex for a total of three years for free. Decisions,decisions. Also, what if there's a problem a few days later with Dell? How the hell do you get it back to them?