AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk

817K views 5K replies 670 participants last post by  Heavy Mettle 
#1 ·
It's finally posted officially on the Vizio website!

the new highly anticipated/hyped Vizio XVT3SV series, with 120 Local Dimming LED zones.

the website prices the 55 inch model for $2,199.

that's insanely cheap for a brand spanking new model.

check it out: http://www.vizio.com/xvt553sv.html

and thoughts/opinions, can't wait to see professional reviews of it..

the other smaller sized models in the series are already posted on Amazon as well, with Amazon shipping them out in August.

55 inch panel already ready for pre-order:

nope, this is not a 3D tv. the 4 series will be 3D but higher priced and later release.

i personally don't give a crap for 3d anyways.

post update: the XVT553SV has started shipping! Currently, according to a Vizio rep, only Amazon , Walmart , Sam's Club and one more online retailer has the XVT553SV, the other smaller sized xvt3sv (47'' and below) might already be available at your local retailers =]

See less See more
#1,057 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowstern /forum/post/19221696

Hi, did you hear anything about the 42" at Costco? Samsclub raised the price, so it's no longer very appealing. Thanks.

Just try & be a little patient; sincerely doubt Sams will be able to hold that price for very long because TV prices in general are definitely bucking a strong downdraft. And Vizio with all its competitors vying for pre-Christmas sales, and the onslaught of 3d TVs (which Vizio doesn't even do...yet) can't imagine that price won't go back down soon, probably below what it was. Note also SamsClub's additional warranty prices increase significantly with the current price.

As a sidenote, at the moment there seem to be a plethora of older LCD models for "bargain basement" prices at these warehouse clubs. I see boxes and boxes of them in NOVA. These clubs tend to be "dumping grounds" for old or excess products sometimes anyway. This might be holding the LED prices a little higher for the short term...

Rest assured, the longer u can wait the more you'll end up getting for your money...

#1,058 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChevy2001 /forum/post/19223420

Same here, except I had mine on order since the 6th. I got a call from Dell yesterday that it would be delivered on the 22th.

I hope their right!

Pilot Freight left a message for me today to schedule the delivery for 9/28. They already picked up the unit, not sure where it's coming from. Can't wait!

#1,059 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 /forum/post/19222942

The cloudy murkiness you see during dark scenes are the nature of LED Technology. Only have 120 LED zones doesn't help either

Don't think that is is "the nature of LED technology". I do not have the Vizio, and my display has not produced a picture like the one described. Nice dark blacks and then good detail on the visible picture without clody murkiness.

I don't watch Chuck so I did not see the scene you mentioned. Perhaps someone can make an mkv of just that scene and post it somewhere so others can play it on their sets.

#1,060 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler /forum/post/19223119

Got 2 - 553's and not any smell new or since 08/03/10. Our house is air tight and any smell is noticeable.

That type of smell is a bad sign and especially for the length of time you mentioned. I would consider 30 minutes at the most, for any break-in smells or noises. I'd be looking at contacting VIZIO and/or taking the set back.

That's what I was afraid of. Even if you get up and whiff the vents on top of your TV you don't smell anything?? Mine gives off a smell all the time, on or off - easily noticeable as you walk by the TV.

Anyone elses Vizio giving off an electronic smell?

#1,061 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuNan /forum/post/19224051

Don't think that is is "the nature of LED technology". I do not have the Vizio, and my display has not produced a picture like the one described. Nice dark blacks and then good detail on the visible picture without clody murkiness.

I don't watch Chuck so I did not see the scene you mentioned. Perhaps someone can make an mkv of just that scene and post it somewhere so others can play it on their sets.

What Display do you own?

#1,062 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhombus7 /forum/post/19224617

That's what I was afraid of. Even if you get up and whiff the vents on top of your TV you don't smell anything?? Mine gives off a smell all the time, on or off - easily noticeable as you walk by the TV.

NOW YOU MADE ME GO AND DO IT!

I got up on top of the 553, facing the front, and stuck my nose to and along the top vent. At 14 inches from the right, I noticed a very faint smell. Why 14 inches? I shinned my flashlight down the vents and it just happens the heart of the TV's electronics and their heat sinks are just below these vents.

Then continued moving my nose over the top vents, right to left, till I noticed another very, very faint smell. This was 10 inches from the left. A peak down the vents at the 10 inch mark, and there lies some more, but noticeably less and further down, electronics and heat sinks.

TV was drawing 75 watts. Differential temp at the right 14 inch area, 30 degrees. Differential temp at the left 10 inch area, 10 degrees.

Depending on your picture setting, your watts and temperature differential could be less or more. lower = less aroma; higher = more aroma. These would be expectred results. Higher Watts = Higher Temperature = More Aroma; Lower Watts = Lower Temperature = Less Aroma.

But the amount of aroma should not be overwhelming, and not noticeable, except upon this type of close inspection.

I would characterize the smell I smelled as the common/normal electronic heat generated aroma. ( there's got to be a smell poem in here somewhere )

So keep those bottom and top vents from being blocked. Allow plenty of clearence around this unit so it can breath well. :))

#1,063 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler /forum/post/19225142

NOW YOU MADE ME GO AND DO IT!

I got up on top of the 553, facing the front, and stuck my nose to and along the top vent. At 14 inches from the right, I noticed a very faint smell. Why 14 inches? I shinned my flashlight down the vents and it just happens that the heart of the TV's electronics and their heat sinks are just below these vents.

Then continued moving my nose over the top vents, right to left, till I noticed another very, very faint smell. This was 10 inches from the left. A peak down the vents at the 10 inch mark, and there lies some more, but noticeably less and further down, electronics and heat sinks.

TV was drawing 75 watts. Differential temp at the right 14 inch area, 30 degrees. Differential temp at the left 10 inch area, 10 degrees.

Depending on your picture setting, your watts and temperature differential could be less or more. lower = less aroma; higher = more aroma. These would be expectred results. Higher Watts = Higher Temperature = More Aroma; Lower Watts = Lower Temperature = Less Aroma.

But the amount of aroma should not be overwhelming, and not noticeable except upon this type of close inspection.

I would characterize the smell I smelled as the common/normal electronic heat generated aroma. ( there's got to be a smell poem in here somewhere )

Thanks! Yep, whether people admit it or not I'll bet almost everyone on this forum is going to go up and get a whiff of their TV tonight. "Honey, what are you doing?" "Ahh, um, well I read about this... (evaluating the amount of 'splaining' to do)...I saw a piece of dust, just blowing it off"
My wife already thinks I have some electronics brain disease.

There probably is a haiku in there somewhere!

Mine gives off quite a lot - noticeable 5 ft away as you walk by with TV off. Since I have 90 days with Costco...I guess I'll monitor this a little longer. Maybe mine has a little more thermal paste on the heat sinks. I didn't try the flashlight - GOOD ONE! - I'll try that tonight.

#1,065 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhombus7 /forum/post/19225280

Thanks! Yep, whether people admit it or not I'll bet almost everyone on this forum is going to go up and get a whiff of their TV tonight. "Honey, what are you doing?" "Ahh, um, well I read about this... (evaluating the amount of 'splaining' to do)...I saw a piece of dust, just blowing it off"
My wife already thinks I have some electronics brain disease.

There probably is a haiku in there somewhere!

Mine gives off quite a lot - noticeable 5 ft away as you walk by with TV off. Since I have 90 days with Costco...I guess I'll monitor this a little longer. Maybe mine has a little more thermal paste on the heat sinks. I didn't try the flashlight - GOOD ONE! - I'll try that tonight.

No smell on mine from a few feet away. Have had it over a month. Have not tried sniffing up close.

#1,068 ·
I was watching Hawaii 5-0 last night on my DVR and I noticed that the TV said the signal was 1080 @ 29Hz. My DVR runs through my Pioneer 1019 via HDMI to the TV. I wasn't able to get that information from the TV by hitting the info button. Does anyone know how to get that info to pop up again on the TV. This same setup shows as 1080 @ 60Hz on my 52B750.

#1,069 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/19227060

I was watching Hawaii 5-0 last night on my DVR and I noticed that the TV said the signal was 1080 @ 29Hz. My DVR runs through my Pioneer 1019 via HDMI to the TV. I wasn't able to get that information from the TV by hitting the info button. Does anyone know how to get that info to pop up again on the TV. This same setup shows as 1080 @ 60Hz on my 52B750.

I'm not home to try but if you select Input on the remote then OK for the input your watching, you should see that in the upper right corner. But i think it will only tell you 1080p/1080i/720p, ect... Not sure if it show's you the hertz.

There is a menu that tells you about what firmware versions your using, that may state the hertz in that screen... but i can't remember where that screen was, its under the main menu... under system or about/help...

#1,070 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/19225951

Not true on an LCD with full backlighting and local dimming. The detail in dark areas of this set are very good and blacks are definitely not murky.

Trust me you will see this. It's especially evident in Movies like:

The Strangers, Chapter 7 I believe of I Am Legend (Warehouse Scene) or any other scene where objects are projected on the screen during dark scenes.

I own a Local-Dimming set & see it. Some scenes are better than others but it's definitely there

#1,071 ·
I love the set but was wondering if anybody else has had their set freeze up completely? It happened to me twice last night and I could not turn on or off the set. I was watching cable too which is weird. Then this morning I wanted to check the weather on cable as well and the set would not turn on. I had to remove the power cord and the set rebooted (took well over a minute with the Vizio logo flashing) then the set turned on. I am well within my return window and am thinking of doing an exchange because I cannot tolerate the damn thing freezing every time I want to watch TV. The only remedy I know is a full power cycle. Am I the only one?

#1,072 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 /forum/post/19227158

Trust me you will see this. It's especially evident in Movies like:

The Strangers, Chapter 7 I believe of I Am Legend (Warehouse Scene) or any other scene where objects are projected on the screen during dark scenes.

I own a Local-Dimming set & see it. Some scenes are better than others but it's definitely there

What set do you own? I'm trying to wrap my head around why this "murky" term is being mentioned all of a sudden and none of the reviews out there mention this problem?

And here I thought the smart dimming was supposed to get rid of this

#1,073 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts /forum/post/19227231

What set do you own? I'm trying to wrap my head around why this "murky" term is being mentioned all of a sudden and none of the reviews out there mention this problem?

And here I thought the smart dimming was supposed to get rid of this

I own the TOSHIBA SV670U. Just because Local Dimming is available, doesn't always mean blooming will not be present. This term 'murky' actually is blooming, but since the object may not be totally WHITE on the screen the blooming gives off a 'murky/cloudy' look on the object when presented on a black screen.

Personally don't let this take away from your viewing experience. I know I haven't

#1,074 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman_76 /forum/post/19227198

I love the set but was wondering if anybody else has had their set freeze up completely? It happened to me twice last night and I could not turn on or off the set. I was watching cable too which is weird. Then this morning I wanted to check the weather on cable as well and the set would not turn on. I had to remove the power cord and the set rebooted (took well over a minute with the Vizio logo flashing) then the set turned on. I am well within my return window and am thinking of doing an exchange because I cannot tolerate the damn thing freezing every time I want to watch TV. The only remedy I know is a full power cycle. Am I the only one?

Read post #999 and #1005 in this thread quite a few of us are having this problem.

#1,076 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 /forum/post/19227309

I own the TOSHIBA SV670U. Just because Local Dimming is available, doesn't always mean blooming will not be present. This term 'murky' actually is blooming, but since the object may not be totally WHITE on the screen the blooming gives off a 'murky/cloudy' look on the object when presented on a black screen.

Personally don't let this take away from your viewing experience. I know I haven't

Ok....so you meant blooming..........I have seen blooming which the reviews do mention, but it's ceretainly not a deal breaker.

#1,077 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cino /forum/post/19227117

I'm not home to try but if you select Input on the remote then OK for the input your watching, you should see that in the upper right corner. But i think it will only tell you 1080p/1080i/720p, ect... Not sure if it show's you the hertz.

There is a menu that tells you about what firmware versions your using, that may state the hertz in that screen... but i can't remember where that screen was, its under the main menu... under system or about/help...

The Hz display was up in the top right corner. It only showed it once and I haven't been able to duplicate that readout using the controls provided to my by the TV. I just want to makes sure I'm getting a full 60Hz input from the receiver. It's never been a problem on my B750.

#1,078 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman_76 /forum/post/19227619

Thank you RayRay. I posted on the other forum as well. I may be jumping ship. Hopefully this gets resolved asap. If not back to LG or Sammy.

I have not had this problem....the random reboot. I did have a momentary freeze due to Directv last night during NCIS.

I will keep an eye out for it.

I'm wondering if it's an internet connection related issue? Mine hardwired to my router and am using FIOS.

#1,079 ·

Quote:
I have not had this problem....the random reboot. I did have a momentary freeze due to Directv last night during NCIS.

I will keep an eye out for it.

I'm wondering if it's an internet connection related issue? Mine hardwired to my router and am using FIOS.

Thats a good point. I am on WI-Fi. It still is not acceptable even if it is related to wireless networking. If it did not happen 3 out of 4 times in the last 2 days I would not worry. Because this is happening frequently I am very concerned. What is it running windows 98?

#1,081 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhombus7 /forum/post/19224617

I have mine for two weeks and I still have "the smell."