AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk

817K views 5K replies 670 participants last post by  Heavy Mettle 
#1 ·
It's finally posted officially on the Vizio website!

the new highly anticipated/hyped Vizio XVT3SV series, with 120 Local Dimming LED zones.

the website prices the 55 inch model for $2,199.

that's insanely cheap for a brand spanking new model.

check it out: http://www.vizio.com/xvt553sv.html

and thoughts/opinions, can't wait to see professional reviews of it..

the other smaller sized models in the series are already posted on Amazon as well, with Amazon shipping them out in August.

55 inch panel already ready for pre-order:

nope, this is not a 3D tv. the 4 series will be 3D but higher priced and later release.

i personally don't give a crap for 3d anyways.

post update: the XVT553SV has started shipping! Currently, according to a Vizio rep, only Amazon , Walmart , Sam's Club and one more online retailer has the XVT553SV, the other smaller sized xvt3sv (47'' and below) might already be available at your local retailers =]

See less See more
#1,732 ·
Thanks for the GREAT response.

I am really trying hard to justify buying this TV based on seeing it, all the fabulous reviews and outstanding value. However, there are a few issues keepin me from buying.

Anybody offer some advice on them?

1. The USB ports. Do you really think Vizio is going to activate them via a firmware update or are they just making promises and keeping our hopes up? Really want to be able to plug in a camera, video cam or device to view directly on the TV, this is a big deal for me.

2. Read a review regarding difficulty using the Picture In Picture mode. Having 2 small children I like to use this with there shows on and my sports in the small screen. Anyone have any problems or limitations using the PIP mode?

3. Unable to stream content from a CPU to the TV. Would love to be able to stream video, pics, etc from CPU to TV directly. I guess, the solution would be a seperate third party streaming type device. I know this is on another Forum, but what I wanted to know if anyone out there has used a seperate streaming device with this TV and if there have been any issues with this.

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

#1,733 ·
Sam's: I bought mine from Sam's, 2 days ago. AFAIK (from the BF sites), this set will NOT be on sale on BF...only the SV.

USB ports: They have power...I'm running a set of speakers for another device off of USB 1 right now.

Color: My set is calibrated, but I definitely like the look of Color Enhancement>Normal, better. When you go back and look at the pattern with the blue filter, it is out of adjustment...but *proper* color/tint looks washed out.

P

#1,734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidian /forum/post/19513927

3. Unable to stream content from a CPU to the TV. Would love to be able to stream video, pics, etc from CPU to TV directly. I guess, the solution would be a separate third party streaming type device. I know this is on another Forum, but what I wanted to know if anyone out there has used a separate streaming device with this TV and if there have been any issues with this.

CPU? Do you mean a PC (Computer)? I run an HTPC just fine (DVI to HDMI 1, Nvidia GT430).

P

#1,735 ·
As far as the USB ports being activated, I just spoke with tech support. They told me that they were in the final testing stages of a firmware update to enable them. I don't know if it's true but I have to think it is because I don't think they would make up such an elaborate lie. As far as pip goes, on my xvt423sv I can not watch tv in the pip screen. I can play xbox in pip or pop through hdmi but to my understanding you need two tuners to watch two shows at once(pip) this tv only has one

#1,736 ·
I searched this thread and only found one reference to Hulu, can you watch it on this model? I'm not really familiar with Internet Apps, do you need a special Widget for this? I'm helping a friend choose a TV and she watches a lot of Hulu. Thanks.

#1,737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro /forum/post/19514367

Sam's: I bought mine from Sam's, 2 days ago. AFAIK (from the BF sites), this set will NOT be on sale on BF...only the SV.

USB ports: They have power...I'm running a set of speakers for another device off of USB 1 right now.

Color: My set is calibrated, but I definitely like the look of Color Enhancement>Normal, better. When you go back and look at the pattern with the blue filter, it is out of adjustment...but *proper* color/tint looks washed out.

P

That is correct retailers will do certain models but usually they are specific models that are not the more expensive ones. Also the units that go on special usually run out fast.

#1,738 ·
Kevin,

Thank you for your reply, very helpful!

As far as PIP goes, do you think I can watch something trhough my cable box and the kids can watch a DVD at the same time? What about one channel through cable box and the other from the TV tuner?

Hope the USB's are activated soon.

Any regrets buying this TV? Also considering a Sony 7 or 8 series, but don't need 3-D or the price tag!

Thanks again.

#1,740 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidian /forum/post/19515281

Kevin,

Thank you for your reply, very helpful!

As far as PIP goes, do you think I can watch something trhough my cable box and the kids can watch a DVD at the same time? What about one channel through cable box and the other from the TV tuner?

Hope the USB's are activated soon.

Any regrets buying this TV? Also considering a Sony 7 or 8 series, but don't need 3-D or the price tag!

Thanks again.

Pip only has the ability to go through hdmi. I have to have the tv on through my cable (coax) and for pip I can choose any hdmi but not component, av, or rgb. If ur cable box is hooked up through hdmi, you should be able to have two shows. You would put the coax cable on the screen and then choose hdmi (your cable box) for the pip. You can then choose the pip size (small,medium,large) and location or pop (splits the screens evenly). I love this tv and have no regrets!!! The sound is just fine for me and better than others Ive seen. I love the widgets and use them more than I initially thought I would. Before purchasing this tv, I was looking online for about two months of research. I liked the samsung led series and this. At first both were way out of my price range. The full array led's are typically more than edge lit ones. I was actually leaning more towards the razor series. I went to sams and it was on sale for a way low price and picked it up. I too did not want 3-d due to the huge price and little content. There are lots of picture settings for your liking. This is the brightest tv I have ever seen. I never ever thought I would have to turn the backlight down but on this tv I did. I recently watched taken on blu ray and let me tell you it felt like I was actually there! Another great thing I like about this tv is the wireless internet. Its really nice to know if there is a problem with it, they can come out with a firmware update to fix it. I would defiantly recommend you get this tv!! For the features you get for the price you can not beat it!! Sams is having this tv (xvt553sv) on sale bf also. One last thing I forgot to mention is the bluetooth. Its nice not to aim the remote directly at the tv to change channels etc. I also paired my blutooth headphones to it. If you need it quiet because everyones sleeping, its extremely nice to just put the headphones on and turn the volume to your liking. Hope this helps! Any other q's just ask.

#1,743 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5832 /forum/post/19514527

As far as the USB ports being activated, I just spoke with tech support. They told me that they were in the final testing stages of a firmware update to enable them. I don't know if it's true but I have to think it is because I don't think they would make up such an elaborate lie. As far as pip goes, on my xvt423sv I can not watch tv in the pip screen. I can play xbox in pip or pop through hdmi but to my understanding you need two tuners to watch two shows at once(pip) this tv only has one

Kevin -- how are you working with tech support -- did you just call their 1-800 support number?

My sister's Vizio is turning on by itself. It happens at least once per week. She called the support number and those people don't know anything about the TV. They just read things off a list (e.g. try power cycle the TV, try plugging it into another plug). They are going to schedule to have someone come out to look at it, but it would be helpful to actually talk to someone over the phone (or via e-mail) who is a real technician. I speculate that the TV is trying to do an automatic update, fails and then turns on. She is still on the older firmware, even though she does have internect connectivity and is able to check her Facebook on her TV. I would have thought she would have gotten an update by now, since it sounds like everyone else has.

I'm tempted to tell her to just return the TV to Costco and buy it again during the BF sale at Sams. It's a hassle, but at least she would save some $$$. She really likes the TV otherwise.

#1,744 ·
I was havling a problem with my picture. The cable tv through coax would not extend fully to the edges of the tv. I called the regular number and they told me to take pictures of the problem and send them to pictures@visio.com . Someone called my cell two days later and it was someone who knew what they were talking about. Its weird that her tv doesnt have the latest firmware. Is she is strapped for cash and wants to wait for that bf deal I would say just do that. But if their sending a technician out I would say let them fix it. Supposedly when you turn off the tv, it looks for an update. when you turn it on the next time it will say installing firmware update and have the vizio logo flash and youll be all set. hope this helps

#1,749 ·
Reading a few earlier posts a few people were interested to find out wether it made a difference were their TV was assembled.

Seems like Sam's Club TV's were assembled in China while Costco in Mexico.

Anyone think there are any differences in performance or issues like frequently turning on an off or random PQ issues between the two different assemblies?

#1,750 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidian /forum/post/19517155

Reading a few earlier posts a few people were interested to find out wether it made a difference were their TV was assembled.

Seems like Sam's Club TV's were assembled in China while Costco in Mexico.

Anyone think there are any differences in performance or issues like frequently turning on an off or random PQ issues between the two different assemblies?

I just bought one 3 days ago from costco, they got them in that morning and it was built in China.

#1,751 ·
I originaly posted this in the RVR thread and was asked to copy it here for people to read. To understand it a little better you can refer to the prior post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19488000

I took the Sony back Monday and looked at sets again. I looked at the 553 and figured it was going to be like the Vizio 552 which I did not like at all. But Costco was out of them and said they would get more in on Wednesday. So that made that decision. I looked at a bunch of sets including the 3D. Money wasn't the factor, the best sound and picture was. And Variable audio out and PIP was desired.

Wednesday I called in the morning and they got 4 sets in. I called my brother and said lets go get them and give it a try.

I set the TV up yesterday and I am totally amazed at the picture. I am a big fan of Samsung Glossy screens for their blacks and picture depth. This is a close second. At 40% Backlight and Contrast this set is 50% brighter than the Sony or Samsung at high settings.

The sales lady at Costco told me that this set would stream media from a home server, I said are you sure and she said absolutely (I knew it didn't). She also told me this set was LED backlit while the others use a Liquid Light. (Hope they don't spring a leak). She should NOT be on that sales floor, she doesn't have a clue about these TVs. And she has been there a few years.

So in conclusion, So far I am totally satisfied with this set. I connected my sub to it and the sound is great for TV sound. The picture is excellent. I wasn't too sure of the local dimming but I turned it on and did some adjustments and so far I am pleased. I put my kill-a-watt and when watching a 4:3 program with the bars on the side it was using around 70 watts and actually dropped down to 23 watts on a dark scene. Even with local dimming off and watching a HD picture it was only using 150 watts. Not bad at all.

I haven't played with the widgets yet since they aren't high on my list but I will get to them. I may renew my subscription to NetFlix for a while and try it out.

One thing I did notice, on a totally black screen with local dimming off, the left side of the screen is not uniform. I have a couple large lighter blotches on it. I think this is referred to clouding, am I correct? I'll see if it goes away after using the set. My 52" Vizio had this and it dissappeared with age.

Keeping my fingers crossed this will be a good set.

#1,753 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidian /forum/post/19515996

OTA?

How is your Satellite hooked up?

Thanks, that is good to know, probably gonna grab this TV, wondering how to find out if Sams will definitely have it on sale BF...

OTA: On The Air (or, Over The Air) - This is the broadcast TV sent by TV stations via, well - the air. I never realized how hard this is to describe
. Think of it as old-fashioned TV with a roof antenna or rabbit ears and no need for satellite or cable service. It isn't really old-fashioned; I'm just using that term to explain

My Satellite receiver is connected to the TV through the HDMI1 input.

#1,755 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum /forum/post/19517903

Could you give a little more detail on this. Are you running USB powered speakers from the USB port? If so, what speakers.

They are a set of USB powered 2.0 speakers that play audio from my surveillance camera set up (Windows Home Server running Blue Iris). I plugged them into port 1 to get power, as my HTPC's USB ports are all full.

P

#1,756 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5832 /forum/post/19515805

I was havling a problem with my picture. The cable tv through coax would not extend fully to the edges of the tv. I called the regular number and they told me to take pictures of the problem and send them to pictures@visio.com . Someone called my cell two days later and it was someone who knew what they were talking about. Its weird that her tv doesnt have the latest firmware. Is she is strapped for cash and wants to wait for that bf deal I would say just do that. But if their sending a technician out I would say let them fix it. Supposedly when you turn off the tv, it looks for an update. when you turn it on the next time it will say installing firmware update and have the vizio logo flash and youll be all set. hope this helps

Thanks Kevin. I went to my sisters house and doubled checked her firmware version and it is still on the .14 version. It seems odd to me that there is no way to force the TV to check for an update, and that it can only happen automagically when it wants to while the TV is turned off. Hmmm???