AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk

817K views 5K replies 670 participants last post by  Heavy Mettle 
#1 ·
It's finally posted officially on the Vizio website!

the new highly anticipated/hyped Vizio XVT3SV series, with 120 Local Dimming LED zones.

the website prices the 55 inch model for $2,199.

that's insanely cheap for a brand spanking new model.

check it out: http://www.vizio.com/xvt553sv.html

and thoughts/opinions, can't wait to see professional reviews of it..

the other smaller sized models in the series are already posted on Amazon as well, with Amazon shipping them out in August.

55 inch panel already ready for pre-order:

nope, this is not a 3D tv. the 4 series will be 3D but higher priced and later release.

i personally don't give a crap for 3d anyways.

post update: the XVT553SV has started shipping! Currently, according to a Vizio rep, only Amazon , Walmart , Sam's Club and one more online retailer has the XVT553SV, the other smaller sized xvt3sv (47'' and below) might already be available at your local retailers =]

See less See more
#3,983 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLOUDDEAD /forum/post/20008675

I purchased an XVT3D554SV over the weekend (was going to get a 553 but I was able to get the 554 cheaper than the 553), but the 554 thread is pretty light on posters so I thought I'd try posting this here as it could potentially be a 553 issue as well:

When I play Playstation 3 games (actually I've only tested this with SOCOM: Confrontation) everything works fine until I put the tv into Game Mode. As soon as i do after a minute or so the picture flickers a little and then after another 20 or 30 seconds it goes completely black for a half second or so and then comes back on. Then it goes in 20 to 30 second cycles of either flickering or going black. Sometimes when it goes black there is also a small amount of green in the picture for a split second. As soon as i turn Game Mode off the problem stops. Trying different HDMI cables and different HDMI inputs did not help.

Any ideas?

I spoke with Vizio Chat Support and the rep did not know why Game Mode was bugging out. I did find another 554 owner having the same issue in the 554 thread and he said he had read a post from a 553 user having the same issue in this thread. The Vizio rep emailed the engineering department and said he would email me when he gets a response back.

#3,984 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinatx /forum/post/20005465

Hello, First post here. Joined after we got our XVT473SV at Costco with the $200 instant rebate. This is our first flat panel TV and we love it except for 1 little glitch. Not sure how worried I should be or whether I should return the set to Costco before March 8 when the 90 day return policy runs out.

The glitch is that when we turn on the TV & Time Warner Samsung HD DVR using the DVR "System Power" button on the remote, we get a glitch where the sound drops out and sometimes the sound stays off. This happens once a day or so. Recycling the TV power gets the sound back in this case.

The DVR is connected to HDMI #1 and I've checked the cable several times for tightness and even replaced it once.

I saw in some earlier posts that a few other folks had a similar sounding problem and someone proposed that there was some problem with HDMI power and that if the device on the input was powered up before the TV, it can cause a sound glitch or failure. Powering up the TV first is supposed to get rid of the problem. Indeed, the "System Power" button on the Samsung remote does power up the DVR first and the TV second. I've played around for a couple of days now, turning the TV on first and the the DVR after and I haven't seen it fail yet this way. Haven't tested this procedure long enough to say for sure that the problem goes away completely.

If this is indeed the "fix", it's kind of a pain because for ordinary TV watching the DVR remote is easier to use.

I'm also wondering if I have a bad TV or if "they all do that".

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, did you swap out the TV during the 90 day period and does the new one have the same problem?

-jj

My XVT553SV also experiences sound fluctuations during the first couple of minutes after powering up. The TV is attached to a DirectTV and a BD player. It does not matter which input source I use. If the TV has been off for several hours (8 hours) then the sound volume will fluctuate while "warming up". I called Vizio tech support and they instructed me to turn off the "TruSound" option in the Audio settings. After doing so, the volume fluctuations went away. But, what if I like the "TruSound" option since it dampens the volume on obnoxious commercials? Should Vizio be pressured for a better fix or live with it?

#3,985 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Igor /forum/post/0

My XVT553SV also experiences sound fluctuations during the first couple of minutes after powering up. The TV is attached to a DirectTV and a BD player. It does not matter which input source I use. If the TV has been off for several hours (8 hours) then the sound volume will fluctuate while "warming up". I called Vizio tech support and they instructed me to turn off the "TruSound" option in the Audio settings. After doing so, the volume fluctuations went away. But, what if I like the "TruSound" option since it dampens the volume on obnoxious commercials? Should Vizio be pressured for a better fix or live with it?

They should be pressured for a better fix. You didn't by the set to turn of it's features. You bought the set for it's features. If you wanted them off. You'd look for a set without the features. I would never settle for them to tell me to simply "turn it off" for the problem to be fixed. I had a problem like that with Samsung. All they had told me to do was to turn off the set. The got a mouth full. In the end. I won my argument. And I'd never intend it to end any different way b

#3,986 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Igor /forum/post/20015800

See Post #3968

#3,987 ·
So I've had the 55" XVT3SV I bought from costco and from what i've gathered from this thread I got pretty lucky as mine is near perfect with no strange issues.

costco currently is selling 2 other models being the samsung 55" LCD UN55C6400 and the 60" plasma LG60PKS40. both of them cost as much or less than the vizio I have. Are either of these other 2 models better than the vizio? 60" seems to tug at the bigger is better mentality but I don't much about plasmas, and the samsung is a much better physically looking TV. any advice?

#3,988 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritolove /forum/post/20017821

So I've had the 55" XVT3SV I bought from costco and from what i've gathered from this thread I got pretty lucky as mine is near perfect with no strange issues.

costco currently is selling 2 other models being the samsung 55" LCD UN55C6400 and the 60" plasma LG60PKS40. both of them cost as much or less than the vizio I have. Are either of these other 2 models better than the vizio? 60" seems to tug at the bigger is better mentality but I don't much about plasmas, and the samsung is a much better physically looking TV. any advice?

If you have a perfect TV, why are you wanting another? You need to dig into the plasma threads here and do some general reading on them. They have issues as do all technologies.

#3,989 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts /forum/post/20018951

If you have a perfect TV, why are you wanting another? You need to dig into the plasma threads here and do some general reading on them. They have issues as do all technologies.

Yeah, given the reality that every TV has some issues, I wouldn't push your luck if you think the TV you have now is perfect.

#3,990 ·
I just wanted to give everyone an update. I own a xvt553, I absolutely love this television. Two days ago I picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver. I now let the Pioneer do all of the processing and upconversion for movies and for gaming. The ARC function works flawlessly between the 553 and the receiver and if I thought the picture was awesome before, a good quality receiver with awesome video processors and sound processors , absolutely blows me away. I just finished watching Sin City again and this is a great movie for the 553 to see just how good the contrast really is. If you get a chance try this movie out with your Vizio, you wont be disappointed. I have absolutely no problems with my 553 (knock on wood) it is one of the best televisions I have ever owned.

#3,991 ·
With a few days left before I hit the 90 days from Sam's I've decided to see about getting my cold start HDMI issues fixed by Vizio. I have stuttering from my ps3, xbox 360, and cable box over HDMI for the first minute or so.

My off-angle blooming is pretty bad, but I've decided to let that go. I also get a screen flash when I set the tv to AV input with nothing plugged into AV, and the ambient light sensor turned off - which is kind of odd. They were pretty proud of fixing that for me the first time I called by resetting everything back to defaults - but as soon as I set the sensor to off again the flash starts back up.

So far I've been in contact with them three times. If anyone is on the fence about keeping the set due to blooming, hdmi handshakes, or AV flashes you might want to start the warranty process. Based on my experiences so far I'm a less than pleased with the hoops I am jumping through to prove issues several others on this board seem to be experiencing.

It's a nice TV with a good picture, but I am concerned about the workmanship behind the one I have and the support I am getting from Vizio.

#3,992 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmoonman /forum/post/20023363

With a few days left before I hit the 90 days from Sam's I've decided to see about getting my cold start HDMI issues fixed by Vizio. I have stuttering from my ps3, xbox 360, and cable box over HDMI for the first minute or so.

My off-angle blooming is pretty bad, but I've decided to let that go. I also get a screen flash when I set the tv to AV input with nothing plugged into AV, and the ambient light sensor turned off - which is kind of odd. They were pretty proud of fixing that for me the first time I called by resetting everything back to defaults - but as soon as I set the sensor to off again the flash starts back up.

So far I've been in contact with them three times. If anyone is on the fence about keeping the set due to blooming, hdmi handshakes, or AV flashes you might want to start the warranty process. Based on my experiences so far I'm a less than pleased with the hoops I am jumping through to prove issues several others on this board seem to be experiencing.

It's a nice TV with a good picture, but I am concerned about the workmanship behind the one I have and the support I am getting from Vizio.

When I switch to "AV'" input with no input connected, the screen flashes for me too. I assume this is normal. I only feed the signals through HDMI anyways. I contacted Vizio about my cold start issue and they offered to fix or replace the TV, but since the issue only occurs with 1080P sources and lasts less than a minute, I will live with it for now.

#3,993 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quorthon /forum/post/20023199

I just wanted to give everyone an update. I own a xvt553, I absolutely love this television. Two days ago I picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver. I now let the Pioneer do all of the processing and upconversion for movies and for gaming. The ARC function works flawlessly between the 553 and the receiver and if I thought the picture was awesome before, a good quality receiver with awesome video processors and sound processors , absolutely blows me away. I just finished watching Sin City again and this is a great movie for the 553 to see just how good the contrast really is. If you get a chance try this movie out with your Vizio, you wont be disappointed. I have absolutely no problems with my 553 (knock on wood) it is one of the best televisions I have ever owned.

I assume you don't have a source for hd movie playback because you mention you're letting the receivers video processors doing the upconversion? If you're using DVD and think it looks good, an actual bluray that passes thru the receiver untouched and back to the tv will look even better. Last I checked, a 1080p source passes thru untouched, if I'm wrong let me know.

#3,994 ·
So I've noticed that when I'm using my 473 with my TiVo HD I'm sometimes getting a little bit of crackling audio when the TiVo switches between 480p content and 1080i content. It also crackles a little when I fast forward the TiVo. I don't hear the TiVo's normal "pop, pop, pop" noise when I fast forward.

Is this normal hdmi handshake stuff? Or is it something I should be worried about? It's not happening with any of my other devices.

Would I be better off using component cables with the TiVo?

#3,995 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts /forum/post/20025148

I assume you don't have a source for hd movie playback because you mention you're letting the receivers video processors doing the upconversion? If you're using DVD and think it looks good, an actual bluray that passes thru the receiver untouched and back to the tv will look even better. Last I checked, a 1080p source passes thru untouched, if I'm wrong let me know.

I have a Sony Blu-ray player and a PS3. Most new receivers also clean up HD sources. My Pioneer has the choices of your standard definitions 480, 720, 1080i, 1080p, also 1080p/24fps. The problem with most blu ray players under $2000 is their upconversion chips are sub standard. Most blu ray players tell you they can upconvert 720 to 1080p, but that is just not possible with the $2000 and under price range. Most high end stereo receivers can upconvert much better than your average blu ray player. I didnt give this much thought until I tested back and forth. First letting the blu ray pass through the receiver and watching it (stunning picture!) Then letting the receiver do all the processing , either 1080p or 1080p/24fps, you have the choice (picture even more stunning) What I like is that I can even control all my video settings as well with the Pioneer, way more video setting options than the Vizio xvt553 gives you. What Im saying is that the receiver makes Blu ray even better when it takes control. It also is able to upconvert all content on Netlfix to 1080p, whether streaming through the television app or streaming from the PS3. Its a combination that is pretty tough to beat.

You do have a choice to let your blu ray player pass through or for the Pioneer to clean up the 1080p blu ray signal. I never would have thought there was a difference, but I can assure you that blu ray looks even better when the receiver "cleans the signal"

#3,996 ·
How to make the XVT3 practicly lag free

So I've been gaming on a lag free LCD for about 2 years now and when I hooked up my 360 to the XVT3 I noticed how horrible input lag makes the controls. The first thing you want to do is disconnect from the internet. I setup a static IP so all I do is go into manual setup and change one of the numbers and then when you exit out your offline (this makes a huge difference). The next thing is to disable TruSurround and TruVolume, I know it sucks but get a 5.1 and you will be much happier. The next thing is to enable game mode (doesn't do much) and disable most of the advanced picture options. I leave on color enhancement and smart dimming which don't cause lag, but adaptive luma does
. Last of all set your console to the games native res so your console doesn't have to convert. Enjoy an almost lag free TV.

#3,997 ·
Hi all,

I have seen various posts about HDMI Handshakes and thought that I would share some of my HDMI Handshake stories.

I did notice that when I first got my Vizio that this could happen, however when I set up my Components ON Sequence and made sure that the Vizio powered up first then it was usually OK.

I have a Time Warner Cable box DVR that HDMI's into my Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver and then HDMI's from my 1020 to my Vizio HDTV,

so lot's of HDMI Handshakes going on.

The Vizio comes on first (see the V) then my DVR and lastly my Pioneer 1020...when the 1020 kicks in, it handshakes with the Vizio HDMI and I usually see a green screen followed by the TV Channel from my TWC Cable box.

When I switch back and forth between my HDMI DVR Input and my HTPC HDMI Input I never have a problem nor with the Power-Up Sequence described above.

The LG HDTV that I had before the Vizio was also setup with the above power on sequence.

It just seems the most HDTV's want to be ON first to experience the HDMI Handshake.

Lastly my Pioneer 50" Plasma Kuro will sometimes (Rarely) experience the Audio cutting in and out from my TWC DVR after "Power On"- Clearly a Handshake Issue...I simply change to a different HDMI Input (HTPC on HDMI 4) on my Pio Kuro and then back to my DVR HDMI Input 5 and the Pioneer's HDMI reacquires and the Audio is Fine!

With the Vizio..if my DVR & Pioneer do come on first then like my Kuro I can switch channels or the HDMI input...Just so the Vizio see's a change on the HDMI to initiate a handshake.

Once the Handshake is successful I do not experience any further issues..It is just at the initial Start-Up...

The HDMI Handshake Experience is a common issue with today's High Tech Equipment...Not just Vizio..After you figure it out and move on..You are fine..

I do not really even think about it.

And at that...I'm talking seconds here at Start-Up...

Life is just too short!

Have a Great Day!

Bud B

#3,998 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20034239

Hi all,

I have seen various posts about HDMI Handshakes and thought that I would share some of my HDMI Handshake stories.

I did notice that when I first got my Vizio that this could happen, however when I set up my Components ON Sequence and made sure that the Vizio powered up first then it was usually OK.

I have a Time Warner Cable box DVR that HDMI's into my Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver and then HDMI's from my 1020 to my Vizio HDTV,

so lot's of HDMI Handshakes going on.

The Vizio comes on first (see the V) then my DVR and lastly my Pioneer 1020...when the 1020 kicks in, it handshakes with the Vizio HDMI and I usually see a green screen followed by the TV Channel from my TWC Cable box.

When I switch back and forth between my HDMI DVR Input and my HTPC HDMI Input I never have a problem nor with the Power-Up Sequence described above.

The LG HDTV that I had before the Vizio was also setup with the above power on sequence.

It just seems the most HDTV's want to be ON first to experience the HDMI Handshake.

Lastly my Pioneer 50" Plasma Kuro will sometimes (Rarely) experience the Audio cutting in and out from my TWC DVR after "Power On"- Clearly a Handshake Issue...I simply change to a different HDMI Input (HTPC on HDMI 4) on my Pio Kuro and then back to my DVR HDMI Input 5 and the Pioneer's HDMI reacquires and the Audio is Fine!

With the Vizio..if my DVR & Pioneer do come on first then like my Kuro I can switch channels or the HDMI input...Just so the Vizio see's a change on the HDMI to initiate a handshake.

Once the Handshake is successful I do not experience any further issues..It is just at the initial Start-Up...

The HDMI Handshake Experience is a common issue with today's High Tech Equipment...Not just Vizio..After you figure it out and move on..You are fine..

I do not really even think about it.

And at that...I'm talking seconds here at Start-Up...

Life is just too short!

Have a Great Day!

Bud B

Interesting outlook on the handshake issue. However, there is one facet you miss the point on: Why is it that the majority of these XVT553SV's DO NOT have the "handshake" issue? As was previously stated, there is a design / circuit board component tolerance stacking issue ( as was mentioned by a tech who repairs these) that exists on some of these tv's. Don't dismiss the real problem many of us have with this particular model of tv by working around the deficiancy of the design. With this kind of problem, it doesn't get better as time goes on. Components ( such as capacitors, etc) do age and if they are on the verge now, long term reliability is a real issue I would be concerned with. Vizio must step up and resolve this! At the very least there should be a recall with redesigned HDMI boards offered to all or a multi-year warranty extension given until they resolve this issue.

#3,999 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe /forum/post/20035161

Interesting outlook on the handshake issue. However, there is one facet you miss the point on: Why is it that the majority of these XVT553SV's DO NOT have the "handshake" issue? As was previously stated, there is a design / circuit board component tolerance stacking issue ( as was mentioned by a tech who repairs these) that exists on some of these tv's. Don't dismiss the real problem many of us have with this particular model of tv by working around the deficiancy of the design. With this kind of problem, it doesn't get better as time goes on. Components ( such as capacitors, etc) do age and if they are on the verge now, long term reliability is a real issue I would be concerned with. Vizio must step up and resolve this! At the very least there should be a recall with redesigned HDMI boards offered to all or a multi-year warranty extension given until they resolve this issue.

My old TV had handshake problems but this one seems perfect. The only problem I had was the reseting problem but that completely went away when I went back to default. TV is problem free ATM

#4,000 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinatx /forum/post/20005465

This is our first flat panel TV and we love it except for 1 little glitch. Not sure how worried I should be or whether I should return the set to Costco before March 8 when the 90 day return policy runs out.

The glitch is that when we turn on the TV & Time Warner Samsung HD DVR using the DVR "System Power" button on the remote, we get a glitch where the sound drops out and sometimes the sound stays off. This happens once a day or so. Recycling the TV power gets the sound back in this case.

The DVR is connected to HDMI #1 and I've checked the cable several times for tightness and even replaced it once.

Update on the sound glitch. As suggested by many, reprogramming the Time Warner DVR remote so it turns the TV on first looks like it fixed the problem of the sound dropping out completely and having to recycle the TV power to fix it.

If it's a "handshake" problem and not a poorly spec'ed component, seems like a firmware fix should correct it, unless the "handshake" problem is with the HDMI device and not the TV. Is everyone experiencing the problem have a TW Samsung cable box on HDMi 1 with the box coming on first?

-jj

#4,001 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinatx /forum/post/20040927

Update on the sound glitch. As suggested by many, reprogramming the Time Warner DVR remote so it turns the TV on first looks like it fixed the problem of the sound dropping out completely and having to recycle the TV power to fix it.

If it's a "handshake" problem and not a poorly spec'ed component, seems like a firmware fix should correct it, unless the "handshake" problem is with the HDMI device and not the TV. Is everyone experiencing the problem have a TW Samsung cable box on HDMi 1 with the box coming on first?

-jj

I find that with some programming I recieve on DirecTV DVR I get random sound drops for a second or 2. But if I back up the program and play it again the drop out is still there so that definitely has to be with DirecTV and not my Vizio.

#4,002 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum /forum/post/20041058

I find that with some programming I recieve on DirecTV DVR I get random sound drops for a second or 2. But if I back up the program and play it again the drop out is still there so that definitely has to be with DirecTV and not my Vizio.

Same here I get drop outs with direct tv. I have the direct tv box hooked up directly to my sound bar with toslink and still get drop outs so it has to be direct tv.

#4,003 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambientech /forum/post/20041116

Same here I get drop outs with direct tv. I have the direct tv box hooked up directly to my sound bar with toslink and still get drop outs so it has to be direct tv.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but there is 600+ post thread over at DBS Talk regarding DTV audio dropouts.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=182017

#4,004 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguewing16 /forum/post/20041961

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but there is 600+ post thread over at DBS Talk regarding DTV audio dropouts.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=182017

Ya I know This is my only problem with Direct Tv. I switched from U-Verse and the PQ is totally worth the occasional split second audio drop out. Still hope one day they will get it figured out.

#4,006 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman182
I have no audio dropouts on the channels I watch from DirecTV on my Vizio.

I never watch locals, if that's where you are experiencing the problem.
I get it mainly on Starz, but it doesn't happen very often. The picture doesn't break up, just the sound drop for a second or 2. When I watch local channels i watch it OTA. Much better picture.

#4,007 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmoonman

Good post. My mind boggles when I use the HTPC in the other room, connected to a 2007 Sharp LC52D64...and it has zero problems instantly displaying a perfect picture.

P