AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio XVT3SV Series NO PRICE or Coupon talk

817K views 5K replies 670 participants last post by  Heavy Mettle 
#1 ·
It's finally posted officially on the Vizio website!

the new highly anticipated/hyped Vizio XVT3SV series, with 120 Local Dimming LED zones.

the website prices the 55 inch model for $2,199.

that's insanely cheap for a brand spanking new model.

check it out: http://www.vizio.com/xvt553sv.html

and thoughts/opinions, can't wait to see professional reviews of it..

the other smaller sized models in the series are already posted on Amazon as well, with Amazon shipping them out in August.

55 inch panel already ready for pre-order:

nope, this is not a 3D tv. the 4 series will be 3D but higher priced and later release.

i personally don't give a crap for 3d anyways.

post update: the XVT553SV has started shipping! Currently, according to a Vizio rep, only Amazon , Walmart , Sam's Club and one more online retailer has the XVT553SV, the other smaller sized xvt3sv (47'' and below) might already be available at your local retailers =]

See less See more
#4,608 ·
I had this thing for over a year and NEVER got "video playback error" when watching my anime, since the upgrade I get that everytime. I have to try and play it 2-4 times before it will actually play back. Other webvids just give me a black screen and tries to load. I wish they'd stop this automatic update thing.

The wierd thing about vizio products is everyone seems to suffer differently which is screwed up because you'll see one person's problem and think you can deal with it and end up with a totally diffrent or even worse issue. How can an upgrade give so many different issues? It leaves me to believe the components they use are suspect at best, and not uniform.

And here they go, denying everything.

#4,611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferb /forum/post/21495873

Any advice on getting a Logitech Harmony remote(I have the 680) to work with the 553? I have added it successfully to the remote. It will the the tv off, but it won't turn it on.

The Harmony software lists three power options, Toggle, On, Off. You want to use Toggle and need to go into "Adjust power settings" and make sure it's set properly

#4,612 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule /forum/post/21494380

I think you're talking about Smooth Motion, which essentially makes stuff shot on film look like video by interpolating 'missing' frames to make the frame rate look higher than it was shot. Film Mode is supposed to ensure that material shot on film keeps its native frame rate.

Well, yes; that is exactly what I was speaking about. "Film mode" does not seem to be the actual name of any feature of the Vizio TVs, and that is for good reason; "film mode" refers precisely to a long-standing feature of MPEG transport delivery which removes redundant frames from content that was originally 24 fps (most film, some video) but has been converted to 30 fps with 3:2 pulldown. It automatically removes the repeated fields and transports only the 24 unique fields that represent the original 24 frames. It also sends a metadata flag that tells the MPEG decoder in your STB to recreate pulldown and 30 fps directly using those 24 fields right there locally in the MPEG decoder, so the entire process is invisible to the viewer, yet the efficiency of transport (including the quality) is improved significantly by not having to send redundant info. That means that any original film content with pulldown converted to 1080i30 video is actually delivered as 1080p24, then converted back to 30 fps content. "Film mode" has been a feature of the standard delivery method for MPEG-2 transport streams since the beginning; it is automatic and is always invoked when the content was at one time 24 fps, and turned off when content was not ever 24 fps.

You may be using the term to describe something else, which would be....?

#4,613 ·
I noticed when I bought my Viz with internet apps that it wanted me to pair the remote via bluetooth. I've never seen the advantage of this; all communication still seems to be via IR (if I don't point the remote at the set's IR receiver it usually won't respond). So I shook my head and ignored it.

But now I am wondering, is there a way to use AirPlay from iTunes to stream audio to this TV via bluetooth? or via Wifi? (that is without an AppleTV or an Airport Express)

#4,614 ·
Looks like I've got yet another problem- if I have Pandora playing music then hit Exit, it will go back to the TV tuner for 5 seconds then resume Pandora with a black screen. Hitting Exit again only repeats the process, switching to any input will also end up with the music coming back. I already did a 'clean storage' trying to fix the Film Mode problem which didn't help, and also because Netflix wasn't working but is now after resetting everything but seems to have introduced this new problem with Pandora.

#4,617 ·
Hello Everyone, my first post to this forum. I need help getting the audio from my Vizio XVT553SV while watching one of the streaming apps such as Netflix, to play properly through my new Denon AVR-4311CI.

The manual for the Vizio is woefully inadequate, and while the Denon is very thorough, it's also very confusing. I've posted links to both manuals to make it easier. I posted this question to the Denon 4311 thread first. I'll post my question, their answer, and my return post for you to read.

Vizio XVT553SV manual: http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...-473-553SV.pdf

Denon AVR-4311CI manual http://www.usa.denon.com/DocumentMas...I-OM-E_108.pdf

All in all, it seemed to work fine, but I'm not getting anything out of my center channel. I don't have my surrounds hooked up yet.

So I'm gradually hooking up everything to the 4311.

I have a Vizio HDTV (XVT553SV) that streams via WiFi things such as Blockbuster, HUDU, Netflix, etc.

Tell if I'm right in the way I'm connecting it to be able to watch this streaming stuff. Below I've copied the URL of the TV user manual for reference.

It appears the TV does not have any video outputs, only audio. It has both RCA audio out and Optical (I assume Toslink).

The manual says the TV is HDMI 1.4 (ARC) back in the spec section of the manual. It does not say 1.4a. I assume the "ARC" means Audio Return Channel. So, if I switch the TV to watch streaming video, does the audio go backwards through the normal HDMI connection between the receiver and the TV?

Is there anything I have to change on the receiver? In the TV manual, I couldn't find anything about the Audio Return Channel, but perhaps I missed it.

The cables I am using, Monoprice ferrite core and Monster 900THX indicate they do handle the Audio Return Channel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcrandon

Tell if I'm right in the way I'm connecting it to be able to watch this streaming stuff. Below I've copied the URL of the TV user manual for reference.

Connect the HDMI cable from the 4311CI to the HDMI1 on the Vizio as that is the only input that supports ARC.

Quote:

It appears the TV does not have any video outputs, only audio. It has both RCA audio out and Optical (I assume Toslink).

Correct. TV's generally don't have video outputs, rather only the ability to pass the audio to external speakers (ie. home theater).

Quote:

The manual says the TV is HDMI 1.4 (ARC) back in the spec section of the manual. It does not say 1.4a. I assume the "ARC" means Audio Return Channel. So, if I switch the TV to watch streaming video, does the audio go backwards through the normal HDMI connection between the receiver and the TV?

Is there anything I have to change on the receiver? In the TV manual, I couldn't find anything about the Audio Return Channel, but perhaps I missed it.

No, you didn't miss it ... there's apparently nothing mentioned in the Vizio manual except to use HDMI1. On the Vizio, under the HDMI1 settings, you'll need to enable HDMI-CEC, set Dolby Digital to ON, and disable TV speakers. Contact Vizio for more detailed instructions if necessary. Also, on the AVR, set HDMI Control to ON. With the TV source selected on the AVR, the audio from the Vizio should pass back to the AVR.

Quote:

The cables I am using, Monoprice ferrite core and Monster 900THX indicate they do handle the Audio Return Channel.

HDMI cables are bi-directional regardless of whether it says it can handle ARC or not.

Ok, so most of this worked. But now, when watching one of the streaming programs such as netflix, I get sound out of my two main speakers, but not my center (I don't have the surrounds hooked up yet).

Also, did you see anything in the manual about HDMI - CEC, I didn't. Lastly, to confirm, the audio out should be set to Dolby Digital, not PCM, correct?

#4,621 ·
We are having the same issue w/r/t Pandora as well. We play Pandora a lot for our 15 month old and then when she goes to bed, I switch the input to DirecTV/HDMI and 3-5 seconds later it reverts to Pandora/VIA with a black screen. Haven't tried the stop button. Will try that later tonight. I did do a power cycle (unplug for 15 seconds) on the TV, but that didn't fix it.

We got new firmware on 12/31/11. This problem started after that firmware d/l. I recently went to Vizio's website to learn more about the firmware update (since it didn't really seem to update anything for us, instead it just seems to be causing problems) and found an article that was first published in October 2010 about a firmware update, then updated as of 1/17/12 saying there was new firmware on the way and it would take 3 weeks to roll out. So my question is, does anyone know if there is, perhaps, a NEW, new firmware that might be rolling out to fix whatever was mucked up by this other recent update?

#4,622 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdobolina /forum/post/21521575

We are having the same issue w/r/t Pandora as well. We play Pandora a lot for our 15 month old and then when she goes to bed, I switch the input to DirecTV/HDMI and 3-5 seconds later it reverts to Pandora/VIA with a black screen. Haven't tried the stop button. Will try that later tonight. I did do a power cycle (unplug for 15 seconds) on the TV, but that didn't fix it.

I submitted a support request on the Pandora issue with Vizio and got the following response:

"When exiting Pandora, press the Stop button on the VIZIO remote. Once that is done, press the red button on the VIZIO remote to exit the app. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So it sounds like they may be aware of the issue, I'm going to ask if they have any plans to resolve it.

#4,623 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_m /forum/post/21523284

I submitted a support request on the Pandora issue with Vizio and got the following response:

"When exiting Pandora, press the Stop button on the VIZIO remote. Once that is done, press the red button on the VIZIO remote to exit the app. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So it sounds like they may be aware of the issue, I'm going to ask if they have any plans to resolve it.

Latest response:

"I believe this was done by design. This way people can still have the music from Pandora playing in the background while using other apps."

Which doesn't make sense on the face of it, but you can actually navigate to other apps (after confirming to stop "video playback" of Pandora - the audio persists).

Sounds like a borderline "undocumented feature" which it might be nice to read about if they provided any information at all regarding the update.

#4,624 ·
*SIGH* I can't believe how uninformed these Vizio "reps" are sometimes! Some of them obviously know little about electronics, and they don't seem to get to spend much time with the actual equipment they're talking about either. The Pandora glitch can in no way be considered a "feature" because it doesn't allow you to do ANYTHING else with the TV! I just tried opening Netflix and 5 seconds later it went black again playing music. If it would let me browse movies while listening to music, THAT would be a "feature". Having it go black when I don't ask it to is a glitch.

#4,625 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule /forum/post/21524520

*SIGH* I can't believe how uninformed these Vizio "reps" are sometimes! Some of them obviously know little about electronics, and they don't seem to get to spend much time with the actual equipment they're talking about either. The Pandora glitch can in no way be considered a "feature" because it doesn't allow you to do ANYTHING else with the TV! I just tried opening Netflix and 5 seconds later it went black again playing music. If it would let me browse movies while listening to music, THAT would be a "feature". Having it go black when I don't ask it to is a glitch.

FWIW I am able to use the Flickr app while still listening to Pandora. Must be some apps that work and some that don't. I stopped using Netflix after the 30 day trial so can't comment on that one. It may have something to do with apps that have their own audio?

In any case, it's a bit of a pain as you have to go back to the Pandora app to stop the music. Definitely not well-thought-out functionality, but at least we seem to be figuring out what is going on.

#4,627 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule /forum/post/0

I agree. This sounds much more like an "engineering oversight" than an "undocumented feature."

#4,628 ·
I got a little scare from my 8-month-old Viz today; it would not respond to the remote or to the power button, although the amber pilot light was lit.

I shut it down to take a shower, and a half hour later decided to crank it up to check the weather and traffic apps before going to work. Radio silence. Not good.

So I pulled the power for about 5 minutes while I mentally wrote a eulogy, perusing my options.

But on return of power, it booted (pilot flashes white and amber as during a download) and now seems to work perfectly.

Was this a glitch? Or am I expecting continuing issues going down hill in the future?

They are computers these days, after all; maybe it just needed a reboot.

(fingers crossed)

#4,629 ·
Stuttering problem continues regardless of source. It will stutter for about 10 to 15 seconds and then continue on fine. If I pause the input and play it fixes it as well. So weird. Why did they have to "fix" something that wasn't broke. They always find a way to make things worse.

#4,630 ·
Yep, this stuttering this is REALLY annoying me. It's not only doing it on Blu-Rays but also on analog video sources, digital broadcasts and I watched a movie on Vudu tonight and it did it through that- I replayed a scene that stuttered and it looked fine the 2nd time. It looks like either a black screen and/or a long static shot will trigger whatever is doing this, with any following material having a lot of motion stuttering, though it seems like pausing and then resuming straightens it out so maybe I'm just imagining things. I've already reset the TV back to defaults AND done the "clean storage" thing (which meant I had to spend an hour or so setting everything back properly, including re-activating my online stuff.) Despite what I mentioned previously, turning off Film Mode does not seem to be helping, neither does Game Mode.

I'm going to contact Vizio chat tomorrow and send a snail-mail to the company if I get no satisfaction there (haven't done their chat before but I have next to NO confidence left in their phone reps from my previous experiences). I bought the extended warranty too so they will have to do SOMETHING about this.

#4,631 ·
They're sending over a "courtesy repair" in a few days- of course the rep said that he hadn't heard of any problems with the new firmware, despite all the reports here to the contrary. Hope they give me a flash drive I can use to roll it back to non-faulty firmware if this happens again.

#4,632 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule /forum/post/21532666

They're sending over a "courtesy repair" in a few days- of course the rep said that he hadn't heard of any problems with the new firmware, despite all the reports here to the contrary. Hope they give me a flash drive I can use to roll it back to non-faulty firmware if this happens again.

It sounds like your problem may not be very universal, and that you may just have a lemon. If you are not the only one, the subset of folks with this problem is apparently small or they would by now have a mature targeted plan for dealing with it. It is beginning to sound like as far as they are concerned, you may be patient zero.

There are a lot of things that can cause video to stutter, but most of them are in compression, delivery, decoding, etc., and rarely are in the TV itself, although it seems this problem is definitely in the TV since it is doing it on virtually all inputs.

When you send video via HDMI that video is already decoded and no longer compressed. All the TV needs to do with that is DAC it and display it, essentially. IOW there are no CPU-heavy tasks going on in the TV when receiving via HDMI. Possibly you got a bad firmware up rev, meaning a roll-back may not be needed, just another download or a forced download of the same version.

Good luck, post back your results.