Vizio TV Restarts Itself When Watching DirectTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My grandparents just bought a Vizio E370VA tv about 3 weeks ago and when they watch tv about once a day the volume will get really loud then the tv will turn itself off and then come back on.

So they exchanged the tv for another one of the same model and it is also having the problem which makes it appear to be a problem with the directTV HD receiver.

But since there is only about a week more that they have to return the tv I wanted to get some people's opinions about whether it is the tv or the satellite receiver that is causing the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Is the volume being controlled by the volume control on the TV's remote or by the volume control on the direcTV receiver box's remote. Your parents need to check for what the volume is set at using the volume control on the Vizio remote With my Vizio I make sure that that the Vizio volume setting is between 14 and 16.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

The volume is controlled through the tv. As far as i am aware there are no volume controls for the receiver.

The receiver is connected to the tv through an hdmi cable.
post #4 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 05:24 PM

Are they using the remote for the receiver or the remote from the tv? This may sound stupid but maybe one of the remotes may be causing this?
post #5 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I doubt it could be the remote just based on the fact of what is happening.. the volume gets loud (nothing displays on the screen to show the volume is going up) and then the tv turns off and then turns itself back on.. like its restarting itself.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 05:30 PM

The receiver has no volume control so you can rule that out. This is strange. How often does it happen?
post #7 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

They tell me it happens about once a day
post #8 of 23 Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc1988 View Post

I doubt it could be the remote just based on the fact of what is happening.. the volume gets loud (nothing displays on the screen to show the volume is going up) and then the tv turns off and then turns itself back on.. like its restarting itself.

Strange, It almost sounds like there is power drop and surge happening on the house circuit being used by the TV caused by the starting of a heavy electrical load, since I can not understand a random increase surg of volume level output from the STB could cause the TV to shutdown and restart.
Are both the TV and the STB protectred by surge protectors?
post #9 of 23 Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM

I have the same exact issue and the same exact model tv. I use comcast so it seems like it's the tv. I have not found a solution yet (if there is one), but am trying. FYI...I highly doubt it has anything to do with the volume control. My hypothesis is that it could be due to the tv's inability to automatically switch its aspect ratio successfully between HD and analog (this is when the tv automatically changes from normal mode to wide mode so that the picture always fits the screen instead of using the "black bars" on the sides). Again, that is just a hunch and may be just as stupid as the volume control theory. I will keep you posted if I find any solutions.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The TV will only change picture size modes or aspect ratios when they resolution it is receiving changes and if you have programmed the TV for the different modes/aspect ratios.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM

I have the exact same issue and am wondering if anyone ever found a solution. I still have time to return the TV to Target.

This happens, as mentioned above, almost exactly once a day. The TV gets loud, the screen goes black, the VIZIO logo appears, and then the picture returns at its regular volume.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is the time of day when it happens about the same each day?
Is there any possibility of some sort of power spike being caused by the starting of a large appliance or motor starting in your home?
post #13 of 23 Old 09-10-2010, 10:13 AM

It's a small apartment so there is a possibility the fridge turning on causes this. Would using a surge protector fix the issue?

I'll pay more attention to the time and fridge next time it happens.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A surge protector certainly can't hurt however if the problem is caused by a drop in voltage when a motor starts and not an incease after the motor has stared.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did anyone ever find a solution for this? I have the same TV with the same issue. It is really annoying.
post #16 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM

Probably. It's still up in the air。
post #17 of 23 Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:

My grandparents just bought a Vizio E370VA tv about 3 weeks ago and when they watch tv about once a day the volume will get really loud then the tv will turn itself off and then come back on.

So they exchanged the tv for another one of the same model and it is also having the problem which makes it appear to be a problem with the directTV HD receiver.

But since there is only about a week more that they have to return the tv I wanted to get some people's opinions about whether it is the tv or the satellite receiver that is causing the problem?

I bought a E47OVA vizio from Target on November 2010 and by December I had the same problem and also had Direct tv. 6 months later my subscription was up so I went with Time Warner cable because of deal. Long story short it still does it no matter who my cable provider is. But after a year and couple months later I figured out when my tv goes out is my vizio 47 only goes out when my backlight is turn up, but when I don't use the back light it never goes out. It's like it's using alot more power than it can handle in the reset, or it get's to hot and reset's. Not sure but I hope this get's us closer to the issue with this scamming company. Cause this happen.s more than you think.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I would return the tv and try another brand.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM

My parents have an E370VA that's a little over a year old, and it has this same issue with a Charter cable box connected via HDMI. The thing is, they used it for about a year without the cable box, and it never had this problem. It also never does this when they are watching something else connected to the TV, like a DVD or Blu-Ray player. It only happens with the cable box, and they say it happens only on the HD channels. So all I can figure is that it is a fault with the TV that is somehow triggered by something in the signal from a cable or satellite box. It's an annoyance that I wish could be fixed somehow, but I don't think it's going to suddenly kill the TV (at least I hope not).

I am not usually around when it happens, but I'm wondering if maybe it happens when there is a momentary dropout in the cable signal coming into the box. Maybe the video or audio signal is lost for a split-second, and for whatever reason, this causes the TV to reset.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-31-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suggest checking first that the HDMI cable from the satellite box be reseated on both ends. If that does resolve the problem have DirecTV replace the satellite box
post #21 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I suggest checking first that the HDMI cable from the satellite box be reseated on both ends. If that does resolve the problem have DirecTV replace the satellite box

If multiple people are having this issue, with different providers, just return the tv and get a different model. Also has anyone contacted vizio?
post #22 of 23 Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM

I know this is an old thread but I have almost the same problem with my tv it resets itself randomly.... I have a dish network dvr reciever and a samsung home theater blu-ray player. EVERY time i pause the dvr the tv resets. UNTIL today.... I have a toslink cable running from the tv to the blu ray player for sound. I have found my problem to be something wrong with the sound. It seems as tho if my dish reciever sound settings are set to dolby/pcm it resets itself every time i pause tv...and at random times.....usually once every 20 min-1 hour .......i changed my sound settings on my dish network box to pcm only...My tv has been on pause for 2 hours with no reset......i have tried everything that used to make it reset and it just wont do it now. I don't know if this will help anyone else but it stopped my problem so i thought i would share.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 AM

Hi,

I own Philips 4000 series Smart LED TV 42PFL4007H and it has absolutly same problems. The TV randomly reboots itself after increasing sound volume to maximum level. Is there any solution ? I am really desperate mad.gif

Please, in case of any solution, contact me. There is my e-mail: rostislav.liber@gmail.com
Thank you in advance.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page