Vizio VF550m vs. Vizio E550VL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which one would be the better one to go with? I have 10 days to figure out which one, any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 AM

I would say look at the features each has, and determine which one has what your looking for. I've done a quick comparison and here are the differences I came up with:

E550VL:
100,000:1 Contrast
3 HDMI
No Progressive Scan
Power usage 138watts

VF550M:
50,000:1 Contrast
4 HDMI
Yes Progressive Scan
Power usage 244watts

Additionally if they are somewhere that you can view the picture on each of them, see if you like one image better than the other.

Here is a link the AVS forum Postings for the E550VL
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1255470

post #3 of 35 Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input brosef. No shiz, the E55 doesnt have progressive scan? They have both of em at the local walmart and they are the same price but the 550m was a 09 model and the price of it had already been cut twice. So anyway I think I know what direction im going now, plus you prolly couldnt tell much difference in the DCR unless they were side by side. What is your opinion on that? The progessive scan thing kinda makes it an easy choice. I play alot of video games so im triin to get the best set for that. But thanks for the rundown, helped alot.
post #4 of 35 Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Also about the side by side viewing the E55 they have is fud up, its all green and flashing, plus its like 4 or 5 tvs down from the 550M. The Progessive Scan thing has helped alot, no where else ive looked has mentioned that or I just didnt see it. But thanks again.
post #5 of 35 Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa Noc View Post

you prolly couldnt tell much difference in the DCR unless they were side by side. What is your opinion on that?

I would be forced to agree. It's a shame, but these numbers have been so misrepresented in order to help sell TV's / Monitors that you really can't go on this alone. As long as the picture looks good to you then the rest is a mute point.

post #6 of 35 Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 AM

I'm also considering these TVs, I'm just not sure which one is better. I'm leaning towards the VF550M though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #7 of 35 Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Wouldnt u know as soon as i decide on one I see this LG 55ld520 ( I think thats the right # ) The thing that caught my eye about this one was the 2.4 ms response time. Like I said my main thing is video games and i've been told the response time makes alot of difference when it comes to games. And in reference to doujones, one of my friends cant stop talking about his (vf550m) thats a big reason I started looking at them in the first place, but oconnells feedback about the E55 not having progressive scan has pretty much shunned me from it. So i prolly should of changed the name of the thread to vizio vs. lg, but as of right now i think im leaning toward the 550m cuz the lg is like $250 more. Hit me bac if anyone knows anyhting about the LG though. Preciate it.
post #8 of 35 Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 AM

Poppa Noc, thanks for ur reply. But now its seems like if I want the VF550M i'll have to have it deliveried. but if i get it from sams club or walmart, i can always return it to an actual store if i want to
post #9 of 35 Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

If you do decide on the vf550m, like me youll need to hurry,: the lady at walmart said they have discontinued it and they wont be getting anymore. I dont know if the same is true for online though. But yeah i have made up my mind and it is the 550m, sounds good and looks good especially for the price.
post #10 of 35 Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I ordered the 550M also. I didn't like the new one at all. Has anyone found a thread on the 550M. I know the set is over a year old but I couldn't find anything on it. It's a great set for the money.
post #11 of 35 Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM

My roommate purchased the E550VL at Costco a few weeks ago, and so far it's great. The issue I'm having is the picture looks great once adjusted for our Comcast DVR (tv viewing in HD, etc. @1080i), but when I play Red Dead Redemption, for example, on the PS3, the brightness settings are way too low and I have to boost them up in order to see the game properly. I think once someone posts optimal settings that I can test I'll be able to judge this better...
post #12 of 35 Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 PM

Hey so I ordered the VF550M on friday online from sams club. i have purchased 2 tvs before this one and returned both. their return policy is great. they have 90 day guarantee returns and the last tv i was about to return 22 days after the 90 days. sams club and walmart both dont have the VF550M in stock in the stores around me but i got free shipping from sams club online. i'm really excited for this tv to arrive. i'm wondering if anyone else has ordered a tv from sams club online, about how long did you have to wait for it to arrive? i want it now!!! im happy i was able to get it before its discontinued. orginally i had a philips LCD 46 inch. nice but was messed up when i got it. i returned it for the new lg plasma but the reflections were unbearable. it looked amazing in pitch black but w/ any light, it was like looking at a mirror. so i've settled on the VF550M. hopefully this will be the keep!!!
post #13 of 35 Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Poppa Noc and Burnerbum, how do you like the set so far? Mine won't arrive for another few days.
post #14 of 35 Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doujones View Post

Poppa Noc and Burnerbum, how do you like the set so far? Mine won't arrive for another few days.

Mine is coming today. I have a friend who bought one last winter and he really likes it. I've watched it and it has a great picture. Right now I have the Samsung C650 and it's going back. Excellent picture on bright scenes but on dark scenes it's really hard to see. The glare doesn't bother me at all. I love the screen but it's just too dark. Plus the PIP is useless and the sound is barely acceptable. Pretty tinny coming out of the back facing down.

I should have mine within the next couple of hours and i'll let you know.
post #15 of 35 Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Mine is coming today. I have a friend who bought one last winter and he really likes it. I've watched it and it has a great picture. Right now I have the Samsung C650 and it's going back. Excellent picture on bright scenes but on dark scenes it's really hard to see. The glare doesn't bother me at all. I love the screen but it's just too dark. Plus the PIP is useless and the sound is barely acceptable. Pretty tinny coming out of the back facing down.

I should have mine within the next couple of hours and i'll let you know.

Sounds good. Yea, let me know what you think. Thanks.
post #16 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 AM

I got VF550M last Friday. So far it's great. I returned a 50 inch LG plasma because I couldn't take the reflection in my family room. This LCD is so much better in that aspect. The plasma was great in the pitch black but I want to be able to enjoy a TV with the lights on. The VF550M is great, I watched a bluray movie on it and it looked perfect. I'm just wondering if anyone has settings they can share. I'm still trying to treak the picture. Let me know your opinions of the TV and settings that you are using. Thanks a lot.
post #17 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:

I got VF550M last Friday. So far it's great. I returned a 50 inch LG plasma because I couldn't take the reflection in my family room. This LCD is so much better in that aspect. The plasma was great in the pitch black but I want to be able to enjoy a TV with the lights on. The VF550M is great, I watched a bluray movie on it and it looked perfect. I'm just wondering if anyone has settings they can share. I'm still trying to treak the picture. Let me know your opinions of the TV and settings that you are using. Thanks a lot.

I have a question can anyone tell me are the older norcent tbs HD?
post #18 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM

i am wondering how is the sound quality for this VF550M? anyone can comment pls?
post #19 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen View Post

i am wondering how is the sound quality for this VF550M? anyone can comment pls?

I am no expert when it comes to sound but I have zero problem with it. I had a LG plasma 50pk550 and returned it for the VF550M. I do not hear any difference in sound quality between the two. I mean, it's still just TV speakers so it's not going to be amazing but it gets plenty loud in my apartment.
post #20 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:

It is not too bad considering the speakers. There is decent stereo separation and imaging. Not much bass to speak of. It is not tinny, but not rich. About what you would expect for a 2" wide TV. I use the TV speakers for watching news and other miscellaneous programming. However, I turn on the home theater for sports, movies, and drama HDTV shows, or anything else that seems like it would benefit from home theater sound.
post #21 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Backlight 85 (controlled elsewhere)
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color Temperature Normal
Smooth Motion Effect Off
Real Cinema Mode Off
Noise Reduction Off
Color Enhancement Off
Adaptive Luma Low
Film Mode Auto
Smart Dimming On
Ambient Light Sensor Low
post #22 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The sound is probably one of the better ones on the market. Especially since it has the speakers point out and not down out of the back of the set.

I haven't had too much time to play with the set yet, but what I did was turn the external audio out to "Variable" and connect a powered sub woofer to it and it made a big difference. I've done that with my other TV's that have the Variable output option. Unfortunately, Sharp, Samsung and LG don't.

Adding the bass to it makes a big difference.
post #23 of 35 Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingForHDTV View Post

Backlight 85 (controlled elsewhere)
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color Temperature Normal
Smooth Motion Effect Off
Real Cinema Mode Off
Noise Reduction Off
Color Enhancement Off
Adaptive Luma Low
Film Mode Auto
Smart Dimming On
Ambient Light Sensor Low

where is smart dimming and abient light sensor in the menus? i can't find either of them. thanks
post #24 of 35 Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:

The sound is probably one of the better ones on the market. Especially since it has the speakers point out and not down out of the back of the set.

I haven't had too much time to play with the set yet, but what I did was turn the external audio out to "Variable" and connect a powered sub woofer to it and it made a big difference. I've done that with my other TV's that have the Variable output option. Unfortunately, Sharp, Samsung and LG don't.

Adding the bass to it makes a big difference.

I tried that last night, and I was shocked at how well it worked. For 85% of my usage that would be an excellent solution. Apartment dwellers would find this as an excellent situation I think.

I tried Pandora internet radio with the sub and found that I would prefer full sized speakers for music. But it was better than I thought it would be with just the TV speakers and the subwoofer. Thanks for the tip.
post #25 of 35 Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:

where is smart dimming and abient light sensor in the menus? i can't find either of them. thanks

I think it is in the advanced picture settings. However if you are connected by VGA it might not be available. I know it is available for TV mode. Look in the user manual for guidance also. Good luck.
post #26 of 35 Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 AM

thank you all for sharing. now, to buyVF550M or lg 55lh90?
post #27 of 35 Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnells View Post

E550VL:
No Progressive Scan

Can someone explain to me what this means? I've tried searching around here to understand what vizio means when they say this tv doesn't do progressive scan video and am coming up blank. It's a 1080p set, are you really saying I can't hook up a 1080p signal to it? That can't be right, is it?
post #28 of 35 Old 08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thank you all for sharing. now, to buyVF550M

Wow, that's pretty expensive
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...navAction=push
post #29 of 35 Old 08-10-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Wow, that's pretty expensive
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...navAction=push

how much did you pay for yours? it got mine from sams club for the current price
post #30 of 35 Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how much did you pay for yours? it got mine from sams club for the current price

I got it for the current Sams price. I was referring to the price on the Amazon link he had posted and showing him he could get it cheaper.

Sorry about the confusion.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page