EX500 46" Bravia Sync - No Sync Pause? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We bought one of these a few weeks ago and have it synced to a PS3.

When watching our first Blu Ray on this system, I tried to pause it, only to find there is no pause button in the sync section of the remote. Everything else is there, just not pause.

Needless to say I can't believe something so obvious would be missed, but I can't figure out how to pause the Blu Ray without getting the PS3 controller. Pressing play again does not do it. Pressing stop, completely unloads the Blu Ray, meaning you're up for a couple of minutes loading, and then scanning to find where you were previously.

Surely Sony must have though someone would want to pause a movie right?

Anyone have the same setup, or know how to get the movie to pause?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Unless the remote that came with the TV is a universal remote that also allows you to control the PS3 player then there is no way for the TV remote to stop/pause the input all you it can do then is stop diaplaying any input it is receiving from the PS3.
The TV is not a PVR with a disk drive all it is is a display.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Walford. You can control other devices through the HDMI connection with the TV remote. It's the Bravia Sync functionality.
You can control DVD/Blu Ray players, PS3 console etc..
The TV sends the command to the connected appliance through the cable.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempNZ View Post

Anyone have the same setup, or know how to get the movie to pause?

Thanks.

Try using the navigation pad.. the button surrounded by the circle with the directional arrows... you may find added functionality there. Also, different movies have different features, so the remote's functionality also varies with the disk you're playing.

Another option is to get another Sony remote that has the extra functionality, like the one last year's Z series came with. I had a W5100 and would have bought the Z's remote because in addition to the more comprehensive set of buttons features, it's also a universal remote. Luckily I found a Z at a great price within days of getting the W. There are option to control the TV, Cable box, Amp and DVD... found a pic. And there's a cover below the VOL and CH buttons that slides open to reveal 12 more buttons. My kids are always taking it from the room with the 46Z5100 to the room with the 52W4100, they like it because it lights up... considering ordering one of these remotes for that room.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #5 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The following Bing search returned a lot of links about the the availibility of Bravia Sync with the PS3.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Bravia+...=QBRE&qs=n&sk=
post #6 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee View Post

Try using the navigation pad.. the button surrounded by the circle with the directional arrows... you may find added functionality there. Also, different movies have different features, so the remote's functionality also varies with the disk you're playing.

Another option is to get another Sony remote that has the extra functionality, like the one last year's Z series came with. I had a W5100 and would have bought the Z's remote because in addition to the more comprehensive set of buttons features, it's also a universal remote. Luckily I found a Z at a great price within days of getting the W. There are option to control the TV, Cable box, Amp and DVD... found a pic. And there's a cover below the VOL and CH buttons that slides open to reveal 12 more buttons. My kids are always taking it from the room with the 46Z5100 to the room with the 52W4100, they like it because it lights up... considering ordering one of these remotes for that room.

He's right about using the navigation pad. The center button works as pause/start.

It does require that you fully enable HDMI control including power on/off
post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Hello, I am having the same problem with Bravia Sync-- I am unable to pause the blu-ray player from my TV remote. I have a Sony EX-700 TV, and Sony BDP-370 Blu-ray, with latest firmware updates on both. The 'control for HDMI' settings work for my TV remote to control the blu-ray in all regards except pausing--my TV remote has no pause button, and the circular center button in the navigation pad does nothing at all. Regarding Settings: I set the TV "control HDMI" settings so that it 'passes through' both types of information when the blu-ray input is active (I can't remember the label for the first type, but the second is "menu" info), and HDMI power on/off are enabled (and work). I can actually pause the blu-ray from the TV remote if I hit "Options" and then scroll down to "Pause/play," but it would be nice if the center pad actually worked. Any suggestions? Thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Unfortunately I have the same problem with my EX400. You will find that the center button only pauses on movies that are not Blu-Ray discs. It works fine on Netflix and external video content, but it won't pause during most Blu-Ray movies. I think I've only had one movie that could be paused using the center button. Haven't found a workaround yet.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Thanks Spartan_0003. You're right, I have been able to use the center button to pause online content, but not to pause the blu-ray player, so far regardless of the disc (DVD's won't pause either). If you figure out a solution (other than buying a different remote), let me know, and I'll do the same.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

What about pressing the Up arrow? It might open a menu, and pressing up again may pause the movie. Haven't actually tried this recently, but remember that functionality in the past.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #11 of 13 Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 AM

Chinee, thanks, but up arrow does nothing at all....
post #12 of 13 Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM

I've got an ex400 and the sync works fine -- but you can only pause by bringing up the little PS3 button block, you know, the thing that is superimposed over the screen that gives you a ton of little buttons to navigate?

I press TOOLS on my Bravia remote and it comes right up. Then you can pause BluRays no problem.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 AM

I think I know what OP means - I had a similar issue using sync with my remote - solution is to to hit 'options' while the dvd is playing and you will see 'play/pause' button. Not quite as immediate as a dedicated button though.

(Yes, forgive me, I know it's an old thread, but I've not seen this answer here & others with similar issues will search & find this - as I did!)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page