Philips LCD help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2010, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, im pretty new here and i was wondering if anyone can shed any light on my situation. Any help would be appreciated.

Well my uncle bought a new tv to replace his messed up old one. He let me have his messed up one because he didnt want to deal with it anymore. Well its a Philips LCD TV model 42PFL3603D.

The major problem with the tv is that there is a horizontal line in the middle of the screen. Everything below that line is darker than usual and everything above the line is fine. I was wondering if there was anything I can do before I get repair quotes from various places.

The minor problem is that the tv doesnt respond to the remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

bump
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh, I would get the service manual and start with power supply rail checks... some of these LCD TV service manuals still provide various signals’ shapes and amplitudes – this will help pin-point the problem (you’ll need the CRO)… it seems to me that the T-CON board needs to have the contacts' cleaned. I'd start with contacts between AV processor board and T-CON board...This fixes around 30-40% of all problems in these TV's.... If this does not give any results, try replacing the T-CON board... If that TV model uses TAB process (between T-CON and LCD panel), it could be TAB problem... I am not sure if you understand what I've just mentioned above... if you don't - get the service centre to help.

Anyway, good luck...

Boky
Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. Well i really didnt understand what you said, but it seems that i should clean some of the tabs between some contact points inside the tv. Time to google all those lcd tv terms, lol. Are there any DIYs that you know of on any of the stuff you just said?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, if you'd like to learn a bit about TV's and have DIY-er blood running, I provided couple of photos for you.... try cleaning the LVDS cable contacts first - at both T-CON board end as well as at the AV processor board end. The ribbon cables on the other photo connect T-CON with LCD panel - the contacts have to be shiny / oxidation free... you should also try to obtain the service manual, as per my initial post, and learn to read / check voltages... as I mentioned already, contacts' cleaning usually gets rid-of the problem in around 20-40% cases, but it does not cost anything

Boky
LL
LL
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Before i do anything crazy, i took apart my tv and I am not sure what part to unconnected and clean. Anyone want to steer me in the right direction?

this is what i found

Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

1. The voltage rails seem to be labelled - check if the labelled voltage is in fact present on each rail.

2. Unplug the cable marked with "X" and clean the contacts with hard pencil rubber until they are nice and shiny.

3. If no change, replace the T-CON board pointed-out with two arrows.

There are two pink cables next to label "high voltage" on switched mode power supply module (SMPS) - they are high tension rails for CCFL's - don't touch them - they can cause unpleasant burn to the skin (and pleasant smell of fresh BBQ!).

Mains voltage section of the SMPS can easily kill you if you are not careful - be warned!!!!.... proceed at your own risk!

Good luck,
Boky
LL
Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 PM

Two days and no response... Eagerly waiting to find out if he touched the main voltage section of the SMPS
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey charleso, all cool man?

Boky
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm thinking bad panel. Could be a board but I doubt it.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM

I know this thread is quite old but i do have a question about the same kind of tv. I've posted a picture of what is going on with my tv below. Recently It has become very fuzzy and almost like pastel looking colors. Also when i turn the TV on when its "Cold" many times the sound will come on but no picture.... but then i just need to hit the power button turn it off then back on again and the picture pretty much always shows up. I was wondering if this sounds like the T-Con board. The Unit is Phillips 42 inch LCD HD TV model number 42PFL3603D/27.

Also if I do need to replace the T-Con board how do i remove the housing without touching the two pink cables that are connected to the "High Voltage" area. It looks like one of those wires runs right over the top of the housing for the T-Con Board.

Thanks in Advance.