Philips 47PFL7432D/37 is Flickering. (Still) Need Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(8/2/10) I've had my Philips 47PFL7432D/37 TV for 2 years now. Just recently, the screen starts to flicker after being on for a few minutes. I've tried calling Philips but they could not help me due to the fact that the TV was "out of warranty". I've Googled and researched the possible cause of this problem. I've gotten different opinions and solutions. Any advise (other than "get a new TV") are welcomed. Also, the left side of the screen is darker than the other. What could be causing this flickering?

If this problem has been discussed before, please, redirect me to its posts. Thank you.

(8/8/10) I've updated the firmware. I left it on for an hour (it seemed to have worked), but the flickering came back. I am really at wit's end here. Should I just get it repaired? Thanks for those whom replied back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem is heat-related. Something overheats after a while and starts working out of specifications. It is easily diagnosed with a can of freeze spray.

The set is 3 years old... so it probably needs good check anyway. I expect problem either with power supply module or with a T-CON board.

Posts like yours are always tricky to answer because they usually do not specify the level of competency people may have, therefore I don't know if I should go in to more details. If you are knowledgeable in electronics and you worked with live equipment before, then you could proceed with trying to fix the TV yourself. Service Manual can be of great help… if you know how to use it…

However, if you don't have a clue what freeze spray is and how it can be used to diagnose a fault part (section) - get the Service Department to help - it does not have to be Philips...

The problem area could be even spotted with a bare eye – look for dark burnt-out spots on power supply module and T-CON board. If you see such spots, carefully check the soldering… slight bending of the whole PCB will reveal the cold spots that partially loose conductivity and cause flickering. If the soldering look okay, you will need to check components – usually burnt-out (open) resistors of around 2 - 5 (10) W or semiconductors…

As I mentioned already, User Manual and some experience is pretty much a must (prerequisite) for these repairs… unless you just start replacing modules (which is always by far the worst approach: very costly and it may yield 0 results at the end).

Good luck,
Boky
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Hey Juan, does the issue with your TV look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p5puFVBeco

That's my own TV BTW.
I think like the poster above said, the problem seems to be heat related. Because after about 30 to 45 minutes, the problem goes away and the TV is back to normal.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

@Extreme_Boky Thank you for the your in-sight on my LCD problem. I really appreciate it. But what would really help is some pics of the modules and boards I could take a look at. Is there a site I can go to for the pics or a video? Thanks again...

@dapanza. Actually, mines is the other way around. I turn it on for about an hour, no flickering. But when I hook up my Xbox 360 to it or Blu-Ray player (both with HDMI), the flickering returns.

Thank you guys for those swift responses. I'm REALLY trying to save my LCD TV from being scrap here. I just fell in love with it.

Also, I just remembered -- My center-channel speaker fell and hit the back of the LCD TV. But the flickering problem occured days later.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Just wondering if u ever got Ur tv fix and exactly what was the problem was cause mine is doing the same thing?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanOrtizSr View Post

@Extreme_Boky Thank you for the your in-sight on my LCD problem. I really appreciate it. But what would really help is some pics of the modules and boards I could take a look at. Is there a site I can go to for the pics or a video? Thanks again...

@dapanza. Actually, mines is the other way around. I turn it on for about an hour, no flickering. But when I hook up my Xbox 360 to it or Blu-Ray player (both with HDMI), the flickering returns.

Thank you guys for those swift responses. I'm REALLY trying to save my LCD TV from being scrap here. I just fell in love with it.

Also, I just remembered -- My center-channel speaker fell and hit the back of the LCD TV. But the flickering problem occured days later.

Juan: have you tried any software updates? Is your version current?

Wazy
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 04:07 PM

i know this is a old thread but ive fixed two of these and they both have been the 4 capacitors on the master and slave inverters. 2 on each inverter. also there was a ceramic fuse on one of the inverters as well. they are 680uf 35v caps and a 10 amp ceramic fuse. hope that helps someone in the future
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page