LG LE5300 How Can You Tell It's an IPS Panel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 358 Old 08-08-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on user experiences I am interested in the LG 32LE5300 LCD TV, it seems to have everything I am looking for.

However, I read on the forums that it's basically a lottery whether you get an IPS or a VA panel.

Is there a way to tell? Can it be determined by serial number etc?

I am heading out to the store tomorrow to take a look and possibly purchase and would like to be armed with a little knowledge.

Many thanks

Detox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 358 Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
**bump**

Anyone? When I'm at the store to have a look are there any checks I can do?
post #3 of 358 Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure how to determine by looking at the box or serial number however you can look closely at the screen with a magnifying glass.
If the pixels are chevron shaped ">" then you have an IPS panel.
You can also use the magnifying glass Sharp has on their quattron display models to see this easily.
post #4 of 358 Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

There are a few ways you can tell. One is you can stand off to the side at an angle and if the pic doesnt wash out like the majority at the store will then its a good chance its an ips. You can also apply a little pressure on the screen and move your finger a few inches and notice the trail it leaves. If theres very little to no trail its probably ips. You can also take a magnifying glass and look for the chevron pixel structure.
post #5 of 358 Old 08-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do did you purchase the LG LE5300? i plan on getting the 32inch version of this TV. I saw in the comments on avs that you have to be lucky to get a IPS Panel in the LE5300 Models. i plan on getting it but i still need more info. i went to my local best buy and i examined it and the viewing angles suck, just like the sony ex500 which i am also interested in purchasing.
post #6 of 358 Old 08-15-2010, 12:30 PM

HDgeneration if the viewing angles "suck" then it wasn't an IPS panel. The viewing angles on the IPS panels are much better than the VA panels some of these have. Have you looked with a magnifying glass?
post #7 of 358 Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 AM

I've been looking into this issue as I was interested in the LE5300 but only with a IPS panel. I couldn't take the risk ordering online so I went out in the shops for analysis. But I come back with good news, there's a way you can tell which panel you get just by looking at the box.

On the box and the TV a serial is printed. The above line says: LG 42LE5300 - XXXXXX. The last part is the interesting bit. Look at the lines and make sure it's similar to the IPS code noted below:

ZA-BEUWLJG (IPS)
ZA-BEUDLJP (OTHER)

I think the last letter is the differentiator but I'm not 100 per cent sure on that, so just to be sure try to match the line above. The EU letters will be US or AU presumably depending on region.

-----

In a pile of boxes of similar sized LE5300 I noticed a mix of these codes, so you have to be picky and I suggest you don't take on the panel lottery on this one.

I'll see if I can write a review anytime soon, if will be on my webpage if I find the time.
post #8 of 358 Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Chung View Post

I've been looking into this issue as I was interested in the LE5300 but only with a IPS panel. I couldn't take the risk ordering online so I went out in the shops for analysis. But I come back with good news, there's a way you can tell which panel you get just by looking at the box.

On the box and the TV a serial is printed. The above line says: LG 42LE5300 - XXXXXX. The last part is the interesting bit. Look at the lines and make sure it's similar to the IPS code noted below:

ZA-BEUWLJG (IPS)
ZA-BEUDLJP (OTHER)

I think the last letter is the differentiator but I'm not 100 per cent sure on that, so just to be sure try to match the line above. The EU letters will be US or AU presumably depending on region.

-----

In a pile of boxes of similar sized LE5300 I noticed a mix of these codes, so you have to be picky and I suggest you don't take on the panel lottery on this one.

I'll see if I can write a review anytime soon, if will be on my webpage if I find the time.

Great, if this is true I suggest everyone who purchased this TV to take a picture of the serial number on their boxes. I'll look for the codes u gave next time I go to best buy. But many electronic stores here in NYC don't really have the boxes out for you to grab, you have to ask for the tv for them to get it from the storage room.
post #9 of 358 Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 AM

This whole panel lottery thing really lowers my opinion of LG. Last year they seemed great, with IPS panels in everything, but now... you dont know what kind of TV your going to get. I could understand a panel lottery from two different factories, if they are both the same technology and have identical specifications. That would make sense, since its sometimes good to have a second source for something, so that you can get the lowest cost, make deals, etc. But this? Its two entirely different TVs with the same model number.
post #10 of 358 Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM

BUMP. any info yet?
post #11 of 358 Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrazor View Post

This whole panel lottery thing really lowers my opinion of LG. Last year they seemed great, with IPS panels in everything, but now... you dont know what kind of TV your going to get. I could understand a panel lottery from two different factories, if they are both the same technology and have identical specifications. That would make sense, since its sometimes good to have a second source for something, so that you can get the lowest cost, make deals, etc. But this? Its two entirely different TVs with the same model number.

I totally agree with you, when I bought my Samsung 4669F around 2 years ago, samsung had done the very same thing, they had different firmwares and board models, and people were doing the very same thing as here, looking for a particular serial, panel number etc etc, so I would not hold it against LG, if you read long enough on here, they ALL are doing it...

I've been waiting to place an order for the 37LE5300, there are some deals going on right now, but not if it's a crap shoot on panel clarity. With pricing pressures going on, there is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting.

Hint: There is only one time of the year to buy tv's, black friday.......
post #12 of 358 Old 09-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Disappointed to say i did not get a IPS Panel LG LE5300.
post #13 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post

Disappointed to say i did not get a IPS Panel LG LE5300.

Did you purchase local or online? Did you compare the serial numbers previously posted? I really want to buy two of the 37" size, only for a bedroom or porch set.
post #14 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 AM

HDgeneration what size is your TV?
post #15 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Hello, I've been reading this forum for many years especially recently. Finally I gave in and registered so I can share my first impression with my new TV, LG 37LE5300. Ordered it from Amazon.com with free scheduled delivery (from Pilot).

It arrived this morning and after few minutes setting it up the TV is incredible! I looked at the panel closely and it's indeed a IPS panel. It showed >>> as someone mentioned in this thread. The picture quality is excellent, so is uniformity and no flashlight. The viewing angle is great, much better than my old Samsung LCD TV.

Here's the product code of my TV:

37LE5300 - UC - AUSWLUR (IPS)

Hope that helps also I paid a bit more for my TV so maybe that may be a factor on getting IPS panel. If you see this TV going super cheap, chances it may be using different panel since IPS panel is expensive. Now I need a good calibrated set for my TV...

Wouldn't calibrated set from LE5400 series work with LE5300 series since both are pretty much same?
post #16 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naitosan View Post

Hello, I've been reading this forum for many years especially recently. Finally I gave in and registered so I can share my first impression with my new TV, LG 37LE5300. Ordered it from Amazon.com with free scheduled delivery (from Pilot).

It arrived this morning and after few minutes setting it up the TV is incredible! I looked at the panel closely and it's indeed a IPS panel. It showed >>> as someone mentioned in this thread. The picture quality is excellent, so is uniformity and no flashlight. The viewing angle is great, much better than my old Samsung LCD TV.

Here's the product code of my TV:

37LE5300 - UC - AUSWLUR (IPS)

Hope that helps also I paid a bit more for my TV so maybe that may be a factor on getting IPS panel. If you see this TV going super cheap, chances it may be using different panel since IPS panel is expensive. Now I need a good calibrated set for my TV...

Wouldn't calibrated set from LE5400 series work with LE5300 series since both are pretty much same?

Excellent feedback, thanks for the info!

I'm looking for this exact set, for the master bedroom, and a bar tv, and maybe even the porch... Thx.
post #17 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Did you purchase local or online? Did you compare the serial numbers previously posted? I really want to buy two of the 37" size, only for a bedroom or porch set.

I purchased this TV from the B&H Store in NYC. The Serial Code is AUSDLUR plus another 2nd serial USDLUR.
post #18 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

HDgeneration what size is your TV?

Its a 32 inch. So what do you guys think i should do? Return it? Or get the Panasonic TC-L32X2, looks great in person, plus i guess they all have the IPS Panel.
post #19 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM

some pics i took.

Left Side View

Center View

Side View to the right
post #20 of 358 Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Hmm seems if you see "D" in product code, it's different panel. If you see "W" then it's IPS panel. That's my guess.

Robin Chung's post:
ZA-BEUWLJG (IPS)
ZA-BEUDLJP (OTHER)

Mine:
AUSWLUR (IPS)

HDgeneration:
AUSDLUR (Other)
USDLUR(Other)
post #21 of 358 Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naitosan View Post

Hmm seems if you see "D" in product code, it's different panel. If you see "W" then it's IPS panel. That's my guess.

Robin Chung's post:
ZA-BEUWLJG (IPS)
ZA-BEUDLJP (OTHER)

Mine:
AUSWLUR (IPS)

HDgeneration:
AUSDLUR (Other)
USDLUR(Other)

so should i return this set? don't know what to do. Can you post some pictures of your TV set like i did?
post #22 of 358 Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM

My LG 32LE5300 ordered a week ago from Amazon.com also came with IPS panel.
My Serial number AC.AUSWLUR.
look like amazon is a good try
post #23 of 358 Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mine777 View Post

My LG 32LE5300 ordered a week ago from Amazon.com also came with IPS panel.
My Serial number AC.AUSWLUR.
look like amazon is a good try

Lucky you. Can you post some viewing angle pictures?
post #24 of 358 Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

HDgen:

What was B & H's return policy? Can you even return or exchange the set?
I'm going to order 2 or maybe 3 of these set's, and enjoy them, as they are, a nice set, knowing they are not perfect....
post #25 of 358 Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

HDgen:

What was B & H's return policy? Can you even return or exchange the set?
I'm going to order 2 or maybe 3 of these set's, and enjoy them, as they are, a nice set, knowing they are not perfect....

I think its any TV lower then 37inches can be returned in a 15 day period, so i have 15 days to return it. But i am not sure if i can exchange it.
post #26 of 358 Old 09-17-2010, 05:15 PM

Hmmm I guess my statement about all 32LE5300's being VA and all 32LE5400's being IPS was incorrect.
HDgeneration AFAIK all the 32LE5400's have IPS panels (I've looked at many). So if you can get one of those you might want to swap for that.
post #27 of 358 Old 09-17-2010, 05:16 PM

The service code on my 32LE5400 is AUSWLNR.
post #28 of 358 Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

Hmmm I guess my statement about all 32LE5300's being VA and all 32LE5400's being IPS was incorrect.
HDgeneration AFAIK all the 32LE5400's have IPS panels (I've looked at many). So if you can get one of those you might want to swap for that.

yep, my plan is to return my non IPS Panel LG LE5300 back to the store and order the 32LE5400 on Newegg.
post #29 of 358 Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM

The LG 32LE5400 is SOLD OUT on newegg. wow, but i am still returning my LG 32LE5300.
post #30 of 358 Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe before you decide to return the TV you should check the label inside the TV that will for sure tell if your TV does or does not have an IPS panel...

Boky
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays