1Likes

post #3661 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamos View Post

I guess you shouldn't look at the current weather here in Austin then...

Ahhh..... the old "current weather" trick. 80 degrees would be nice, and Austin is a nice enough city, but I spent enough time in Texas when I was in the Air Force to know what it can be like in summer.

I remember times in Spring and it could be 40 degrees on the way into work, and be 100 at lunch. Only the excessive starch in our uniforms kept us fresh . . . looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Oh and Nick,

Throw in a little Led Zep and I'm right there with ya

Gotcha covered Henry! Zepplin I, II, and III of course. I have their first album I bought in 1969. And when I was in the Air Force that's all you heard from everyone's stereo Zepplin or the Who and Who's Next.

One time, we set it up with guys in the barracks hall in one wing to cue up "Stairway" on something like 14 stereos starting all at the same time. It took several rehearsals, but we finally got it ( with just a bit of room to room delay). It was pretty spectacular. What can I say. We got bored on those long Alaskan nights. That's right. I was in Texas for a year, then straight to Alaska at 40 below.
post #3663 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Oh and Nick,

Throw in a little Led Zep and I'm right there with ya

My random playlist treated me to nearly 27 minutes of Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused (live) on the way home today. It was fantastic.

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
post #3664 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Ahhh..... the old "current weather" trick. 80 degrees would be nice, and Austin is a nice enough city, but I spent enough time in Texas when I was in the Air Force to know what it can be like in summer.

I remember times in Spring and it could be 40 degrees on the way into work, and be 100 at lunch. Only the excessive starch in our uniforms kept us fresh . . . looking.

I've been in Austin for 15 years now. I moved here from Chicago. I'll take the Austin summers over Chicago summers any day. The humidity in Chicago is so nasty in July and August. And of course the winters here are infinitely better.

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
post #3665 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

Wow man! Filmore posters and vintage handbills. . . I'd buy one if I saw one on eBay. If you ever decide to part with a handbill. . .

My children have already divided up my social history archive, sorry. However, in my early years I started saving and pack-ratting away tons of "stuff". Must of been an early precursor of my OCD which appeared in my later life. Anyway, I have 3 foot lockers (from my father's military career) in the garage full of stuff that I haven't found the time to go thru in literally years so who knows what's out there. I'm with ya on the albums. There's just something warm and fuzzy about vinyl. It's funny you should mention the Discwasher. Does yours have the wooden handle with the disc brush on one side that the cleaning solution fits in. A red bottle. I have a rather large vinyl collection and I too keep a lot of vinyl in those anti-static sleeves. It's interesting to pull a very old album out of the cabinet cause I never know what's going to fall out of the sleeve
post #3666 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

@Henry and Sheesh

Ok, sounds like the LGs are out as far as Blurays go. So what's the collective group opinion (I know sheesh has already opined on the Panasonic) for a BR? I don't need top-of-the-line nor DVR and I think if I'm going to get one, I might as well get one a good one and not just something to get me by.

As far as music goes, take a listen to Pink Floyd's Pulse CD. One disc is studio and remix and the second disc is live performances of their Pulse tour. The live Comfortably Numb is probably the best version you will ever hear (even if it is a cd)!
post #3667 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

@Henry and Sheesh

Ok, sounds like the LGs are out as far as Blurays go. So what's the collective group opinion (I know sheesh has already opined on the Panasonic) for a BR? I don't need top-of-the-line nor DVR and I think if I'm going to get one, I might as well get one a good one and not just something to get me by.

As far as music goes, take a listen to Pink Floyd's Pulse CD. One disc is studio and remix and the second disc is live performances of their Pulse tour. The live Comfortably Numb is probably the best version you will ever hear (even if it is a cd)!

I have a copy of Pulse on VHS somewhere around here believe it or not. I got it back in '96 or '97. I just realized. . . that sounds kind of geezerish. "Yeah, I remember back in '97 . . . "
post #3668 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:

@Henry and Sheesh

I have 2 Sony blu-ray players that I really like. Amazon has the BDP-S370 for $100 with free shipping. And it will do Netflix, Amazon on-demand, pandora and other online streaming services. I'm not sure how the new BDP-S380 differs, but it's only $130. Either of those would be great choices.

-Carl Samos
------------
My Movie Theater
post #3669 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a copy of Pulse on VHS somewhere around here believe it or not. I got it back in '96 or '97. I just realized. . . that sounds kind of geezerish. "Yeah, I remember back in '97 . . . "

Uhhh would that be 1897?
post #3670 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have 2 Sony blu-ray players that I really like. Amazon has the BDP-S370 for $100 with free shipping. And it will do Netflix, Amazon on-demand, pandora and other online streaming services. I'm not sure how the new BDP-S380 differs, but it's only $130. Either of those would be great choices.

Ok, that's one vote for a Panasonic 210 and one for a Sony BDP-380. 130 sounds good cause I don't think I need to pay more than 150.
post #3671 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Take a good look at the specs of the 370 vs the 380. There's talk over on the Sony 570 thread about differences between it and the 580 (new model loses internal memory and component output, gains ability to play avi and NTFS drives). Discussion is here around post number 3189.

I've got the Sony 570 and it's been great for BD, a bit hinky for DLNA.

barry
post #3672 of 5077 Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Aaaah, I remember those days too. AND those huge tornados!

post #3673 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Otto: Don't buy the LG 570 or this year's LG blu ray players. They have problems with playing blu rays.

Sony and Panasonic seem to be doing well. The Panasonic 110 seems nice and I can vouch for the 210.

I'll second the response for the Panasonic 210. It's been great so far. The upscaling also seems very well done.
post #3674 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Aaaah, I remember those days too. AND those huge tornados!

When we were in tech school at Shepard, the barracks area had these courtyard "basins" or depressions in the center of each barracks block. I thought, "Why is this two foot deep basin landscaped into the courtyard?" Well, when it rained, and thundered/lightening like I never have seen it; the basins filled to over flowing. And out of no where came frogs. . .by the hundreds!

And, yeah, then there were/are tornadoes like the infamous Wichita Falls classic. Not that Texas is the only one. A couple years later I was stationed outside Wright Patterson and Xenia, Ohio got hit pretty bad. I was beginning to think I was some kind of tornado magnet!
post #3675 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Ok, that's one vote for a Panasonic 210 and one for a Sony BDP-380. 130 sounds good cause I don't think I need to pay more than 150.

I have a LG Blu-Ray it works fine.
Whatever brand you buy make sure it has local storage for BD-live functions my LG requires me to use a USB flash drive for this.
A lot of the new BD disc needs extra memory to properly display menu's etc. Pandora asked for 1gb local memory before the menus worked properly.
Then you need to decide if you need the streaming features like Netflix, Pandora, Amazon etc.
Plus the ability to go online makes it easier to update the software on the player so it can be updated with new BD features.

LG 47LD520 (LCD)
LG LHB335 Blu-Ray (5.1 surround sound)
post #3676 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone for the Blu-ray suggestions so far. Keep them coming! At this point in time I don't really have any use for the online function because I have an ATV2. I just want a reliable BR player who can play my rather large collection of DVDs.
post #3677 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Here are the settings I came up with using my newly acquired I1Display2. I'm really happy with the picture. The first thing that was most noticeable after doing the gray scale calibration was that the "yellowish, dingy" effect that I get when using anyone else's settings disappeared. This makes the picture much brighter, and I ended up lowering backlight and contrast some to compensate. Also I don't seem to get the neon reds anymore.

I want to thank csamos for taking the time to look at my HFCR files and commenting on them. It was good to have confirmation from an experienced calibrator that I was on the right track. Phase dodged this bullet by being absent from the thread over the weekend

Code:
HDMI ISFExpert1
Aspect Ratio    Just Scan

Energy Saving   Off

Backlight       26
Contrast        88
Brightness      51
H. Sharpness    50
V, Sharpness    50
   Color        53
   Tint          0

Expert Control  

Dynamic Contrast      Off       
Noise Reduction       Off
Dig Noise Reduct.     Off 
Black Level           Low
Real Cinema           Off
Color Gamut           BT709
Edge Enhancer         Off
xvYCC                 Auto
Expert Pattern        Off
Color Filter          Off

Color Temperature     Warm

Gamma           2.2

Method          10 Point IRE

Pattern Outer

Luminance 100IRE 115

IRE Adj. Points    R, G, B

100      9  -4  -4
90       3  -4  -3
80       0  -6  -5
70      -2  -11 -6
60      -5  -11 -5
50      -6  -10 -3
40      -4  -6   0
30      -1  -3   3
20       0  -2   1  
10       0  -2  -6  
0        0,  0,  0

Color  Man. System      

Red  Color       0
Red  Tint        0
Green  Color     0
Green  Tint      0
Blue  Color      -7
Blue  Tint      -19
Yellow  Color    0
Yellow  Tint     0
Cyan  Color      0
Cyan  Tint       0
Magenta Color    3
Magenta Tint    -1

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #3678 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the Blu-ray suggestions so far. Keep them coming! At this point in time I don't really have any use for the online function because I have an ATV2. I just want a reliable BR player who can play my rather large collection of DVDs.

I've only had one bluray player, so can't comment much other than to say mine's a Panasonic BD60, and I've not had any issues with it.

If I were looking today, I'd be leaning towards an LG just to take full advantage of the SimpLink.
post #3679 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

I've only had one bluray player, so can't comment much other than to say mine's a Panasonic BD60, and I've not had any issues with it.

If I were looking today, I'd be leaning towards an LG just to take full advantage of the SimpLink.

I need to keep a list of who's got what set cause I forget which LG you have. Sorry

I was (am) leaning towards the LG for simplicity/compatibility sake but I got one thumbs-down for the LGs so I was wondering what else was out there. It would appear that there are quite a few that would meet my needs cause I'm a simple kinda guy . Thanks for the input.
post #3680 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I need to keep a list of who's got what set cause I forget which LG you have. Sorry

I was (am) leaning towards the LG for simplicity/compatibility sake but I got one thumbs-down for the LGs so I was wondering what else was out there. It would appear that there are quite a few that would meet my needs cause I'm a simple kinda guy . Thanks for the input.

The BD550 and even the BD530 are good as far as I can tell. I have 2 each of them (yup, 4 ! ) And they work great with SimpLink. They need little if any, adjusts right out of the box.

Otto, here' a link where you can check prices on almost anything:

http://bountii.com/search.php?item=LG+BD550
post #3681 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here are the settings I came up with using my newly acquired I1Display2. I'm really happy with the picture. Also I don't seem to get the neon reds anymore.

Glad you finally got your TV tweaked to a good setting! What is interesting to note is how different your settings are with the same 47LD520 as csamos. But with the green dialed down so much in your IREs, I can see why you were getting the dingy yellow/green with other settings. Your TV must have a bit more green "push" than some others.

I'm thinking that depending on what the build date is of the particular TV it may have some other differences besides LCD panel. Perhaps there may be main board differences that account for some variance, but not all of it.
post #3682 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

thanks for posting your new findings djams. i'm gonna plug these in tonight and see how different the PQ looks compared to carl's last calibration.
post #3683 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I was in Wisconsin visiting my wife's relatives during the July 4th weekend in 2004. My wife's aunt plays clarinet on a float in the Circus parade. It was humid and fairly miserable, and I've lived in North Texas for 42 of my 45 years. We visited Taliesin in Spring Green. I've never seen more mosquitoes in one place in my life. They were selling 'Off' in the tour bus that took us around! Beautiful place, however. My wife's family lives in Baraboo.
post #3684 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussen View Post

I have a LG Blu-Ray it works fine.
Whatever brand you buy make sure it has local storage for BD-live functions my LG requires me to use a USB flash drive for this.
A lot of the new BD disc needs extra memory to properly display menu's etc. Pandora asked for 1gb local memory before the menus worked properly.
Then you need to decide if you need the streaming features like Netflix, Pandora, Amazon etc.
Plus the ability to go online makes it easier to update the software on the player so it can be updated with new BD features.

A note on the Panasonic. It does not come with built-in memory for BD-Live stuff. I got a 4GB SD and everything works fine.

Otto, if you don't need built-in Wi-Fi the Pansonic 110 is less than $150 online I believe.
post #3685 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The BD550 and even the BD530 are good as far as I can tell. I have 2 each of them (yup, 4 ! ) And they work great with SimpLink. They need little if any, adjusts right out of the box.

Otto, here' a link where you can check prices on almost anything:

http://bountii.com/search.php?item=LG+BD550

Thank you sir. Oh, and thanks for noting that djams has the 47LD520 in your response to him. I think that makes 3 or 4 of us who have the same set (djams, Carl, CrossFit1, and myself)

Damn it's raining hard here! I'm gonna have to pump some water out of the pond when I get home, otherwise I'm going to find my koi sitting on the patio furniture playing cards (yes, Go Fish )
post #3686 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarfish View Post

A note on the Panasonic. It does not come with built-in memory for BD-Live stuff. I got a 4GB SD and everything works fine.

Otto, if you don't need built-in Wi-Fi the Pansonic 110 is less than $150 online I believe.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
post #3687 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is interesting to note is how different your settings are with the same 47LD520 as csamos.
They are considerably different. During my tinkering, I entered csamos settings and measured the grayscale, primary and secondary colors. What I found was that all the grayscale charts were notably off-target on my TV, but interestingly the colors were spot on.

Quote:
But with the green dialed down so much in your IREs, I can see why you were getting the dingy yellow/green with other settings. Your TV must have a bit more green "push" than some others.
That's a good observation. Also, csamos and I used a different approach to adjusting the RGB - he noted when he originally posted his settings that he does not adjust green (and this is what "calibration for dummies" recommends as well). On my TV though, I had to adjust green to get the correct cd/m^2 value at each IRE - I couldn't get close any other way.

Quote:
I'm thinking that depending on what the build date is of the particular TV it may have some other differences besides LCD panel. Perhaps there may be main board differences that account for some variance, but not all of it.
I agree. I'm looking forward to CrossFit1 returning. He has the same TV as I do, right down to the manufacture/firmware build date. If anyone will be able to benefit from my settings, it would be him.

Speaking of CrossFit1; based on the timing and sudden nature of his notice of departure, and his somewhat vague description (provide 30 days of on the ground support), along with the equally vague "I work for a government agency" - I have pictures in my mind of him perched high on a Libyan sand dune laser-painting targets for LGB's and Tomahawks. Hope he's safe.
post #3688 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzg35 View Post
thanks for posting your new findings djams. i'm gonna plug these in tonight and see how different the PQ looks compared to carl's last calibration.
You're welcome. I look forward the hearing how they look on your TV.
post #3689 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They are considerably different. During my tinkering, I entered csamos settings and measured the grayscale, primary and secondary colors. What I found was that all the grayscale charts were notably off-target on my TV, but interestingly the colors were spot on.

That's a good observation. Also, csamos and I used a different approach to adjusting the RGB - he noted when he originally posted his settings that he does not adjust green (and this is what "calibration for dummies" recommends as well). On my TV though, I had to adjust green to get the correct Y value at each IRE - I couldn't get close any other way.
I was just comparing csamos, your settings and my Expert2 Sony S550 settings which were the most "neutral" if you will as far as grayscale in my case. What I see and would like to ask is if you noticed that beginning at about IRE 50 and below, on my TV R,G,B adjust gets a more tricky. And, as I remember it, I had to go back and forth between neighboring IREs to get it right. I remember I could click red up one click and it was too much, one down and now green needed adjustment. I'm guessing by just looking at your settings, that you also possibly saw this. I too could not use the "zero green" calibration method, but blue was the heavy hitter on my TV.

On top of that, it also seems that depending on what of 4 Blu-ray players I would connect up to the then calibrated input, gray scale and luminance would be somewhat different when checked with AVS HD 709 or Avia. Also, I would get it spot on, run a sweep several weeks to months later, and find it was slightly off. That was within the first 1,000 hrs or so on the TV. Since January, I checked it again a few times and found it seemed to be spot on.

So, I guess I'm saying, there may be a longer 'break in" period than I would have expected. I don't know what else would account for it. The TV shouldn't really have much, if any, of a break in period.

Anyway, I'm just saying. Tweaking is something like eating potato chips. Unless you don't like them.
post #3690 of 5077 Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Did someone here call my wife and convince her that we needed a Blu-ray player? I told her that the "group" was strongly suggesting that I get one and was even giving me recommendations. We were in the mall tonight and she told me to go over to Sears and see if they had an LG550 or 570 (I'd mentioned those to her earlier). I told her that I was going to check out Fry's and BB this weekend while she was in Disneyland and she said fine. WTF!? I'm back to leaning towards the BD570 again. I don't really need the inet stuff but the specs seem to be better so we'll see. Come on Phase, did you call? :-)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page