Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 5077 Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Otto, if you reset your mode before you used the AVS 709 disc then don't worry about IRE at all.

Use the CMS color adjustments to fine tune using B1- Flashing Primary Bars. Directions are on page 8 of the manual. B1 is located in Misc Patterns, right next to Basic Settings on the disc.

If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

Grandson (16 mos old) came over tonight. We knocked heads pretty good before they left and now I have the most amazing headache. So forgive me for being a bit off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 5077 Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

If I send you a plane ticket can you bring your tiller with you?

I certainly can In fact, we have some really good friends (neighbors actually) who moved to Springfield a few years back and have been trying to get us back there ever since. We see them only at Christmas when they come back to visit their daughter who still lives in the house next to us.
post #3963 of 5077 Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Otto, if you reset your mode before you used the AVS 709 disc then don't worry about IRE at all.

Use the CMS color adjustments to fine tune using B1- Flashing Primary Bars. Directions are on page 8 of the manual. B1 is located in Misc Patterns, right next to Basic Settings on the disc.
I did reset Expert 2 before I started but I may just reset it again and start over. I've noted my basic settings so I can plug them in again as a starting point and continue on
post #3964 of 5077 Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
You guys didn't goad me into buying the blu-ray I'd been thinking about buying one ever since I bought the tv. Sort of wanted to finish my new entertainment center at the same time. I just thought I could finish my tape transfer project quicker but actually got really twitchy finger for the blu-ray. The disc was just an excuse cause I was looking seriously at them anyway.
Thanks - this makes me feel much better

Quote:
So, back to luminance. If I can't measure grayscale with a meter, is 100 a good value just to set it at if the IRE values are left at 0?
It doesn't matter what you enter. You can set it at 10, or 150 - it won't change the picture a bit. It is not a picture setting - it is to assist with grayscale calibration when using a meter. I was very surprised when I learned this
post #3965 of 5077 Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

Grandson (16 mos old) came over tonight. We knocked heads pretty good before they left and now I have the most amazing headache. So forgive me for being a bit off.
You've got it right.

Hope the little whippersnapper came through the incident OK! That'll teach him to mess with granny! (<-- I can already feel the "virtual punch in the shoulder" that this comment is going to get me )
post #3966 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

You've got it right.

Hope the little whippersnapper came through the incident OK! That'll teach him to mess with granny! (<-- I can already feel the "virtual punch in the shoulder" that this comment is going to get me )

Woah! Even I wouldn't have gone there (as he steps back out of the line of fire).....

I'll do the cali thing again tonight armed with more knowledge and understanding

Luminance is one less thing for me to worry about then. I sort of thought that it had something to do with each individual IRE setting cause I could see it change with each setting and figured it had something to do with the "brightness" of each color as the intensity was stepped down but wasn't sure.
post #3967 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Glad to see you guys are still having fun!

500!!!

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #3968 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Glad to see you guys are still having fun!

500!!!

Congrats on the milestone!
post #3969 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:

It doesn't matter what you enter. You can set it at 10, or 150 - it won't change the picture a bit. It is not a picture setting - it is to assist with grayscale calibration when using a meter. I was very surprised when I learned this

I didn't know that. Thanks!
post #3970 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Yeah, that is good information. Thanks DJ!

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #3971 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've got it right.

LOL, it took me a while to realize that you were referring to me when you said granny.

post #3972 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, LG just confirmed that nothing will be coming to the Coming Soon box in Netcast. No Pandora, no Amazon VOD... nothing.

post #3973 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

I didn't think they were gonna add anything to our TVs anymore either

The Coming Soon placeholder, I believe, was meant for those who bought the LG webcam to be used with Skype. Once you plug that webcam into the USB port on the TV, it will download a slightly different version of our current firmware that, I'm assuming, replaces the Coming Soon icon with the actual Skype app.

One interesting thing I noticed with my LG BD570 Blu-ray player is that the Vudu app updates itself over the Internet without the need for new firmware from LG. I wish all apps were like that. Haven't checked to see if the Vudu app on the TV does the same.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #3974 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarfish View Post

I didn't know that. Thanks!

Quote:

Yeah, that is good information. Thanks DJ!

You're welcome
post #3975 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL, it took me a while to realize that you were referring to me when you said granny.

Haha - that's a GOOD thing, trust me.

My age hasn't really registered with me. I still puff out my chest and suck in my gut when I'm around the pretty young women at work. Still a boy at heart.
post #3976 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, LG just confirmed that nothing will be coming to the Coming Soon box in Netcast. No Pandora, no Amazon VOD... nothing.

That's too bad. I've got Amazon on my bluray. I really like the quality of Amazon HD VOD. And as an Amazon Prime member I get all the "Prime VOD" titles free. The selection of freebies is not that great yet, but it's growing.
post #3977 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Coming Soon placeholder, I believe, was meant for those who bought the LG webcam to be used with Skype. Once you plug that webcam into the USB port on the TV, it will download a slightly different version of our current firmware that, I'm assuming, replaces the Coming Soon icon with the actual Skype app.

The Panny 210 that I just bought has Skype already and a special plugin in the back for a webcam should you choose to Skype thru your tv. I'm not ready to be that interactive with my LG yet That's why we have 7 laptops in our family of 5 (5 Macs, a Dell, and an HP) Calibrating it is enough interaction for me thank you very much!

Damn! Why am I never around when you guys come out to play
post #3978 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Oh, I'm alway here, Otto. You know that. Nothing better to do at work, so I always leave that tab open.

HP, eh? That company sounds vaguely familiar

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #3979 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha - that's a GOOD thing, trust me.

My age hasn't really registered with me. I still puff out my chest and suck in my gut when I'm around the pretty young women at work. Still a boy at heart.

I just said something like that last night. Most people don't believe me when I tell them my age.

post #3980 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Woah! Even I wouldn't have gone there (as he steps back out of the line of fire).....

I'll do the cali thing again tonight armed with more knowledge and understanding

Luminance is one less thing for me to worry about then. I sort of thought that it had something to do with each individual IRE setting cause I could see it change with each setting and figured it had something to do with the "brightness" of each color as the intensity was stepped down but wasn't sure.

Yeah, do it when you have time to take it slow and easy (when everyone's in bed and you're not really tired yet). I'd come over to share the experience but it's a long walk.

post #3981 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, do it when you have time to take it slow and easy (when everyone's in bed and you're not really tired yet). I'd come over to share the experience but it's a long walk.

I'll leave a candle burning in the window for you
post #3982 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, I'm alway here, Otto. You know that. Nothing better to do at work, so I always leave that tab open.

HP, eh? That company sounds vaguely familiar

heh heh It was free so I had my bro-in-law, who works at McAfee, install Windows 7N. I have to admit but W7 seems to be the friendliest of the Windows iterations that I've used professionally. However, it's still Windows and as such has this natural ability to rebel against those of us who prefer Macs
post #3983 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
For those who may be interested in using Sea Biscuit as a follow up reference DVD or Blu-ray after calibration or using a set up media such as AVS HD 709, here is a summary of what to look for using this movie. This movie was particularly well made and has natural as well as very vibrant colors. It also contains many B&W stills that are great to check gray scale. I believe it serves as a "real world" follow up to verify if your TV is displaying all it can in terms of picture detail, color accuracy and level, as well as help in possibly some fine tuning.

I have found that if a movie like Sea Biscuit is displayed properly on a TV that any movie will looks it's best. Owners may be surprised at what Sea Biscuit reveals about the time they put into a calibration or using other "tweaking" aids.

Note: There were some Time index errors in the first posting of the summary attachment due to variations in DVD vs. Blu-ray versions and possibly players differences.

Sea Biscuit Calibration Reference Sumary-3.doc 33.5k . file
post #3984 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

For those who may be interested in using Sea Biscuit as a follow up reference DVD or Blu-ray after calibration or using a set up media such as AVS HD 709, here is a summary of what to look for using this movie. This movie was particularly well made and has natural as well as very vibrant colors. It also contains many B&W stills that are great to check gray scale. I believe it serves as a "real world" follow up to verify if your TV is displaying all it can in terms of picture detail, color accuracy and level, as well as help in possibly some fine tuning.

I have found that if a movie like Sea Biscuit is displayed properly on a TV that any movie will looks it's best. Owners may be surprised at what Sea Biscuit reveals about the time they put into a calibration or using other "tweaking" aids.

Man you got a lot of time on your hands (just kidding). This will be a nice "external" tool to use. Glad you dropped by
post #3985 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Phase, thanks so much for the Seabiscuit reference guide! I have been considering asking you to do this. You must have read my mind

Off to order my seabiscuit bluray from Amazon...
post #3986 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Lt. Pylot
Quote:

Man you got a lot of time on your hands (just kidding). This will be a nice "external" tool to use. Glad you dropped by

Dj
Quote:

Phase, thanks so much for the Seabiscuit reference guide! I have been considering asking you to do this. You must have read my mind

Well, I've been nursing a virus (cold?) here for a couple of days so bored out of my skull. So please excuse any grammar or typo errors as I'm kind of goofy from sinus pressure and meds.

I've outlined just a few of the many areas in this film that are excellent for verifying calibration results. As most of you know, I believe the "proof is in the pudding". And after comparing this movie's aspects to many others, I've found that this film and video transfer is unsurpassed and helps in obtaining the best picture quality out of any other movie as well. Even the DVD version of this movie is almost as good as the Blu-ray. I have 2 DVD copies, 1 Blu-ray copy, and a (rest in peace) HD DVD copy. To me, it is that good.

I'm looking forward to each of your comments and experiences once you've checked the scenes and pause points that I've indexed. Cheers!
post #3987 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I'm looking forward to each of your comments and experiences once you've checked the scenes and pause points that I've indexed. Cheers!

Wife is at class tonight and my son is being dragged to shopping by his gf (poor baby ) so I'm diving into the calibration tank again (with extra time, a cold beer and warm pizza)

Take care of that cold old man. It's been really windy here and with all the pollen in the air, my allergies are starting to kick in
post #3988 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

$12.99 at Best Buy, online or in-store!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seabiscu...cuit&lp=1&cp=1

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #3989 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

$12.99 at Best Buy, online or in-store!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seabiscu...cuit&lp=1&cp=1

Good find! That's where I got my BD version a few months back for a similar price!
post #3990 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. . . Well I just checked and the Blu-ray version first reference scene is at 0:01:23 so you have to add 10 seconds to the one I referenced. I used the DVD version for time marks. I'm now checking so I'll correct the text when I make sure the BD version matches exactly the same. I'm sitting here with my laptop and the test on screen following along.

If anyone finds any more boo-boos let me know.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page