Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3991 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everybody,

I'm new here and since I just got a LG 42LD550 some days ago I thought this might be the proper thread for my issue:

I use the LG mainly as a PC monitor, have it connected to my PC via HDMI-cable (to HDMI In-2) and I'm a little confused about the "HDMI-PC-Mode" that the manual refers to several times. I can't find a mode that is called so.
How can I activate it? It's not the "Game-Mode" I guess?! I turned the AV Mode to "off" and deactivated True Motion.
I still can feel a slight input-lag which disturbs a little.

I would be very grateful for any advice regarding using/handling this TV as a PC-monitor. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganGr View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm new here and since I just got a LG 42LD550 some days ago I thought this might be the proper thread for my issue:

I would be very grateful for any advice regarding using/handling this TV as a PC-monitor. :-)
Go to Menu, select "Input", press the "blue" button and name the HDMI input
PC.

Also, here is a setting I use for my HTPC ATI video card. Of course, your video card may require different settings in the graphics console of your PC

LG 42LD550 HDMI 1 ISF Expert 2 ATI HD5450 10-5-10.txt 1.095703125k . file
post #3993 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just reviewed my previous post of the Sea Biscuit Reference Disk Summary and added in parentheses slightly different time index points for DVD vs Blu-ray versions. There may also be slight variations between different brand players, so I also noted to use the scene description to select the proper reference pause points.

Sorry if this was confusing.
post #3994 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Go to Menu, select "Input", press the "blue" button and name the HDMI input
PC.

Also, here is a setting I use for my HTPC ATI video card. Of course, your video card may require different settings in the graphics console of your PC

Perfect! Thank you so much!
That's exactly what I was looking for
And the settings you have are pretty similar to mine ... so I think I'm set now!

Thanks again for the fast help!
post #3995 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Hi everyone! I'm a newcomer to this forum as I purchased the LG 55LD520 in February. First off, thank you for the awesome calibrations. I've found some great settings that really make this tv pop. I had a couple questions that I'm hoping to get some answers for. They might have been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but after 134 pages I can't find anything!

So what's the deal with Real Cinema? I get that it allows 24p to pulldown at 5:5, and with blu rays it works its magic. But why is it available on 1080i material from my cable box? Should I have it on with Directv HD material? I'm confused by i vs. p. Would my tv work better if i just told the dvr to output 1080i or 720p?

Also, I've been noticing some stuttering on a lot of the films and shows I watch, especially when the camera pans. I'm using calibration settings provided from this site, so no extra processing activated (incl. Trumotion). Some channels provide more of a stutter as if its too slow to keep up. Is this 120hz? Any ideas why this might be happening? I'm using an HDMI cable of at least v1.3. I don't remember my Sony Bravia having this problem with the same setup.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!
post #3996 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGaucho View Post
Hi everyone! I'm a newcomer to this forum as I purchased the LG 55LD520 in February. First off, thank you for the awesome calibrations. I've found some great settings that really make this tv pop. I had a couple questions that I'm hoping to get some answers for. They might have been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but after 134 pages I can't find anything!

So what's the deal with Real Cinema? I get that it allows 24p to pulldown at 5:5, and with blu rays it works its magic. But why is it available on 1080i material from my cable box? Should I have it on with Directv HD material? I'm confused by i vs. p. Would my tv work better if i just told the dvr to output 1080i or 720p?

Also, I've been noticing some stuttering on a lot of the films and shows I watch, especially when the camera pans. I'm using calibration settings provided from this site, so no extra processing activated (incl. Trumotion). Some channels provide more of a stutter as if its too slow to keep up. Is this 120hz? Any ideas why this might be happening? I'm using an HDMI cable of at least v1.3. I don't remember my Sony Bravia having this problem with the same setup.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Ok , first Real Cinema. I will briefly explain a bit, but if you use the Search Thread option at the top right of each thread page I'm sure you can find the explanations by entering "Real Cinema" and "Stutter".

Real Cinema is on when using the OTA tuner and not even LG knows exactly why. It should be turned on only for signal sources that are 1080/24fps, even if it is available.

The stuttering seems to happen if the TV is sourced with some 1080p 60HZ sources such as satellite boxes, PS3, some cable boxes and HTPCs. You can try setting the source to 1080i rather than 1080p, or try 720p. This usually reduces or eliminates the problem. This seems to be an issue more on some models than others. It seems to be an issue because of the way LG handles the 120HZ panel refresh on some models.

This is the short explanation, and again, there is a LOT of discussion on both with and detailed explanation of what Real Cinema does and when. Basically you have it right about 5:5 pull down.
post #3997 of 5077 Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 PM

Thanks Phase. I had no clue you could search within the thread like that. I had been using the Google search box at the top which gave me more than this thread. I've been using your settings for the Cinema mode, and after reading some posts in regards to stutter, it was suggested to put Noise reduction to low and digital noise reduction to high. So far I do believe that it has helped a bit, unless I'm telling myself subconsciously that it's helping when nothing is really changing.
post #3998 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGaucho View Post

Thanks Phase. I had no clue you could search within the thread like that. I had been using the Google search box at the top which gave me more than this thread. I've been using your settings for the Cinema mode, and after reading some posts in regards to stutter, it was suggested to put Noise reduction to low and digital noise reduction to high. So far I do believe that it has helped a bit, unless I'm telling myself subconsciously that it's helping when nothing is really changing.

No problem on the "search" procedure. I was on AVS for several months before I got clued in on the search thread option.

I doubt that setting Noise reduction will help the stuttering. What it comes down to is that LG seems to expect all 1080 signals to be either 1080p@ 24fps or 1080i @60fps. If you think about it, since the LG does 5:5 pull down, then 1080p @24fps works out fine with a 120HZ panel refresh rate. However, somehow when a 1080p @60HZ signal is sourced to the LG TV, it's circuitry is getting complete progressive frames one after another instead of two interlaced frames. It's as though the circuitry expects only an "odd" half frame followed by the next "even" interlaced half frame at 60 HZ. If it gets whole frames at 60HZ (60fps), the panel drive circuitry timing is such that it misses or drops frames occasionally and/or gets out of sync with regards to the incoming signal frame rate (fps) compared to the LCD panel circuitry refresh rate(120HZ).

If you think this is confusing, it is. This is because signal source frame rate is not the same as LCD panel refresh rate, yet the two are related in how they must work together to produce a stable picture display.
post #3999 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It gets even weirder on my 60LD550. When I watch Blu-rays at 1080p/24, there is a very noticeable slowdown every once in a while. It's like the whole movie is on slow motion for a couple of seconds. At first, I thought it was my LG Blu-ray player, but after I swapped it with a PS3 it's still doing it. The effect is slightly more subtle now, but it's there.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #4000 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What it comes down to is that LG seems to expect all 1080 signals to be either 1080p@ 24fps or 1080i @60fps. If you think about it, since the LG does 5:5 pull down, then 1080p @24fps works out fine with a 120HZ panel refresh rate. However, somehow when a 1080p @60HZ signal is sourced to the LG TV, it's circuitry is getting complete progressive frames one after another instead of two interlaced frames. It's as though the circuitry expects only an "odd" half frame followed by the next "even" interlaced half frame at 60 HZ. If it gets whole frames at 60HZ (60fps), the panel drive circuitry timing is such that it misses or drops frames occasionally and/or gets out of sync with regards to the incoming signal frame rate (fps) compared to the LCD panel circuitry refresh rate(120HZ).

Phase - do you get stuttering on your set? I ask because this response makes it sound like the stuttering is an inherent feature in all of these models. I've watched a lot of Amazon HD VOD 1080p/60 material and have never seen the slightest sign of stutter or jitter. I've never seen anything that I would consider to be stutter when watching any content - I do occasionally see a slightly "jittery" picture, but when this happens, it's always on the same 3 networks (ABC, TNT or TBS), so I believe it is related the the broadcast signal, not the TV.
post #4001 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

$12.99 at Best Buy, online or in-store!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seabiscu...cuit&lp=1&cp=1

Boy did I logoff at the wrong time.

Nice find, but I missed it. Thanks anyways, though!
post #4002 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

Phase - do you get stuttering on your set? I ask because this response makes it sound like the stuttering is an inherent feature in all of these models. I've watched a lot of Amazon HD VOD 1080p/60 material and have never seen the slightest sign of stutter or jitter. I've never seen anything that I would consider to be stutter when watching any content - I do occasionally see a slightly "jittery" picture, but when this happens, it's always on the same 3 networks (ABC, TNT or TBS), so I believe it is related the the broadcast signal, not the TV.

I've noticed that too on my 47LD520 (no sig file, sorry ). A very subtle jitter every now and then but being as I watch mostly network OTA, I too just attributed it to the broadcast quality. However, it seems to be mostly on action network shows. Programs like Jeopardy, Wheel, and yes, even DWTS doesn't seem to show this. But, the broadcast quality always seems to be consistently higher on those shows.
post #4003 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anyone here using one of these models with a Comcast Digital Transport Adapter?

I recently bought a 42LD550 for my bedroom, so I use the digital transport instead of a cable box, and I cannot get the Comcast DTA remote to control the TV's volume.

Spoke with Comcast support, and a new remote is on the way, but honestly, I think the remote isn't the issue, since it worked fine with the 2 Samsung TV's I've had.

Perhaps someone has a code that works, since none of the 8 codes in the DTA remote's manual are working for me. The 991 code search didn't help either. The end result of any "working" code is that it will control power, but no volume.
post #4004 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Phase - do you get stuttering on your set? I ask because this response makes it sound like the stuttering is an inherent feature in all of these models.

No, other than the occasional blips and slow down due to the slow broadband connected to my HTPC. My 42LD550 seems fine. Waaay back when people were discussing it I tried all the types of inputs configurations that seemed to produce it on some models, but could not really say I saw it. Only my HTPC would cause any issues if the graphics card isn't set up properly for my TV. Which is understandable. In some network TV especially SD sub channels I get occasional times when it's obvious that the station is sending out a craqqy signal do I get video issues.

And. . . oh no. . . please let's not start looking for that boogey man again.
post #4005 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. I've just learned to ignore it because it doesn't happen that often and it's so fast that I miss most of them (if they're there in the first place). No one in my family notices it all. Now that the new furniture has arrived, my son is a permanent fixture in the family room digging the LG, and he watches OTA and Netflix late at night, every night, and has no complaints (stuttering, freezing, etc) at all. He's also really starting to warm up to the Panny 210 as well
post #4006 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My feelings exactly.

Only reason I wanted to get clarification is that I just recommended the 47LD520 (and this thread) to a forum member, and I didn't want that individual to get the wrong impression.
post #4007 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:

No, other than the occasional blips and slow down due to the slow broadband connected to my HTPC. My 42LD550 seems fine. Waaay back when people were discussing it I tried all the types of inputs configurations that seemed to produce it on some models, but could not really say I saw it. Only my HTPC would cause any issues if the graphics card isn't set up properly for my TV. Which is understandable. In some network TV especially SD sub channels I get occasional times when it's obvious that the station is sending out a craqqy signal do I get video issues.

You mention possible issues with the HTPC. Once the graphics card is set up though, were there any issues? I plan on eventually building a sandy bridge HTPC once I get more situated after the tv purchase, and just want to make sure the LD520 won't cause any issues.

Quote:

My feelings exactly.

Only reason I wanted to get clarification is that I just recommended the 47LD520 (and this thread) to a forum member, and I didn't want that individual to get the wrong impression.

haha, thanks for clarifying djams.
post #4008 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My feelings exactly.

FWIW, I can second that recommendation I've always felt that the 47LD520 was the sleeper set of the year for it's classification.
post #4009 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

FWIW, I can second that recommendation I've always felt that the 47LD520 was the sleeper set of the year for it's classification.

Seconded by the 42LD550 especially when you could get it for quite some time at under 6 Benjamins.

And I hope I'm feeling better by Sunday. Going to top out at over 80+ degrees here . . . . above zero!

I thought I'd through that in before some wise guys in Cali ask . . .
post #4010 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp8811 View Post

You mention possible issues with the HTPC. Once the graphics card is set up though, were there any issues?

Once I set up my graphics card all is well. The only issue is trying to decide which version of the Catalyst Control Center is best for a given computer and TV in my case. And they keep coming out with newer versions. What I really would like is a U.S. version that offers more resolution/frame rate options.
post #4011 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I hope I'm feeling better by Sunday. Going to top out at over 80+ degrees here . . . . above zero!

I thought I'd through that in before some wise guys in Cali ask . . .

I hope you feel better too. And as far as "Cali" goes.... We had thunder and hail and rain yesterday. Cold and windy this weekend. Just enjoy your weather now cause you're gonna get our storm later this week

BTW, I found a nice color rendition of the flashing color bars (B1 I think) so I printed it out on our nice color laser printers so I can keep track of where magenta, cyan, etc are with the different filters in place. Blind and almost epileptic from calibrating
post #4012 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Once I set up my graphics card all is well. The only issue is trying to decide which version of the Catalyst Control Center is best for a given computer and TV in my case. And they keep coming out with newer versions. What I really would like is a U.S. version that offers more resolution/frame rate options.

Thanks!

So I bought the 47LD550... it was a demo though. It came out to good price, so I had to jump on it regardless of the fact that it was a floor model. I was originally looking at the LD520, but things changed when I came across this one.

I'm going to continue to look through the thread, and I can't wait to set this bad boy up tomorrow.
post #4013 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Anyone here using one of these models with a Comcast Digital Transport Adapter?

Perhaps someone has a code that works, since none of the 8 codes in the DTA remote's manual are working for me. The 991 code search didn't help either. The end result of any "working" code is that it will control power, but no volume.

Hmmm.. I have a 42ld550 and don't have Comcast, but my TV will work with a Phillips, Harmony, One 4 All remote as well. At least these remotes do all the basic functions, so I am at a loss.
post #4014 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks!

So I bought the 47LD550... it was a demo though. It came out to good price, so I had to jump on it regardless of the fact that it was a floor model. I was originally looking at the LD520, but things changed when I came across this one.

You must mean you bought a 46LD550, right? There is no 47LD550, just a 47LD520.
post #4015 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:

You must mean you bought a 46LD550, right? There is no 47LD550, just a 47LD520.

Yes, sorry the 46LD550. I was originally looking at the 47LD520
post #4016 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, sorry the 46LD550. I was originally looking at the 47LD520

I'd be interested how you like the 46LD550. I originally was looking at this model and settled on the 47LD520 and am very happy with my purchase.
post #4017 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I'd be interested how you like the 46LD550. I originally was looking at this model and settled on the 47LD520 and am very happy with my purchase.

I'll have to tell you tomorrow because I won't be setting up until then. I was originally going with the LD520 because I didn't need the internet apps or anything.

I liked what I saw in the store, but I should also mention I don't think I'm on the level of most people on this forum when it comes to analyzing picture quality.

I'll report back once I set it up. I'll be doing it as early as possible!
post #4018 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 PM

hi just joined is there a expert settings for lg55lx6500 i have seen multiple settings with hdmi is there a well balanced setting thanks in advance
post #4019 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Spoke with Comcast support, and a new remote is on the way, but honestly, I think the remote isn't the issue, since it worked fine with the 2 Samsung TV's I've had.

As long as the TV remote works, then the problem is not with the TV. I agree that there is probably not a problem with your current remote, since it worked with your samsungs. It must be that the DTA remote does not properly support this model.
post #4020 of 5077 Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

haha, thanks for clarifying djams.

Well, speak of the devil... Glad to see you here

Quote:

I'm going to continue to look through the thread, and I can't wait to set this bad boy up tomorrow.

Congrats! I sure hope you like it - be sure to check back in and let us know how things are going.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page