post #4141 of 5077 Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzg35 View Post

good to know. i'll have to put this in our que=)

By queue if you mean Netflix, you'd be best to play this from a disc (preferably Blu-ray). That way you won't be factoring in any streaming issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 5077 Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

I have not made any changes to those settings. I am currently working on daytime settings that will be much brighter - I'm having a harder time getting everything nailed down with the brighter basic settings. I will post them when I'm done if anyone is interested.

I'd like to give them a try since I still haven't gotten around to trying to set up my daytime mode yet.

post #4143 of 5077 Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I'd like to give them a try since I still haven't gotten around to trying to set up my daytime mode yet.

I've just been using my evening settings and adjusting "brightness" with the eco control. The only direct sunlight we get is in the morning (back of the house is due East) and then rest of the day it's indirect so one setting seems to work for us. Of course, once the rain etc goes away and spring/summer is here that may change. I do have a rather large collection of cals to pick from that are cataloged However, I'm always willing to give another 47LD520s cals a run.
post #4144 of 5077 Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My den is pretty bright during the day and that really matters mostly on weekends. I'd like to get away from dark drapes for the summer if I can.

Unless someone has a similarly bright room to calibrate in, I'll probably have to take the time to do it myself. I estimate it will be once it's too hot to go outside.

It was in the 80s yesterday and down to the low 60s today. I love spring.

post #4145 of 5077 Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My den is pretty bright during the day and that really matters mostly on weekends. I'd like to get away from dark drapes for the summer if I can.

Unless someone has a similarly bright room to calibrate in, I'll probably have to take the time to do it myself. I estimate it will be once it's too hot to go outside.

It was in the 80s yesterday and down to the low 60s today. I love spring.

Spring? We planted the vegetable garden last Saturday cause it was a really nice to day to do that. Since then, it's been cloudy, rainy (not bad), and windy . By the time Spring gets here, it will be summer
post #4146 of 5077 Old 04-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

You just described exactly the reason I got rid of the super reflective plasma and switched to a matte-finish LCD. It just feels wrong to close all the drapes on a beautiful sunny day, doesn't it? (unless it's 105° outside, of course)

Have you tried out the Intelligent Sensor picture mode when your room is really bright?
post #4147 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 04:25 AM

i recently became the proud owner of a 42ld550. i'd like some help on suggested settings for ps3 gaming and bluray movies. also, i found that on SOME games e.g uncharted 2, setting tru motion to 'on' provides a better experience than using the factory 'game' setting and the picture also seems a little dark with the preset. but for other games, like hot pursuit, the preset works great. i'm looking for settings that would provide a uniformly good PQ for gaming. the same goes for blu-ray movies
post #4148 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have my LG42LD550, BD570 , AMD 5870 GPU and Digital Cable box through an Onkyo SR608.
How, if possible, can i get the Netcast apps -principally Netflix- to play in multi channels such as Audyssey DSX or Dolby PL IIz Height?
As it is now, I get it through the center speaker now. In the dolby all channel stereo, it comes through all 7.1 speakers.
I am able to get synthesized 8 speaker sound via the blu ray player's netcast app and cable box just fine. only, when i try the tv netcast do i have the problem.
I subscribe to the Onkyo 608 thread and i have followed the instructions for setting up the AVR properly and i have also tried all kinds of other variations but it will only come through in almost mono like speaker use.
i guess the hdmi return channel function will not work on the 550 since it is not v1.4.
Even though netflix only sends out a 2 channel pcm signal, the onkyo is fine in making it sound great in the appropriate movies and all channels fire in the height and surround speakers and the sub booms but not in netcast apps in the tv. i have tried using the hdmi output as well as the TV all with the same disappointing results.
Has anyone with netcast/netflix been able to make the audyssey or dolby surround PL II work?
Thanks
John

LG42LD550, ONKYO TX SR608, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. GA990FXA UD3, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 OC 3Gb GDDR5, AMD FX-8150BE@4.0, 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , CISCO E3200, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; CISCO DOCS3.0
post #4149 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Seabiscuit is on its way. 9.99 at Amazon (as suggested). Now I can independently check my calibrations (finally). I hope ya'll are ok and doin' fine.

BTW, I was in a local B&M yesterday looking at the tvs just for shi* and giggles. I hadn't looked at sets since I started calibrating and what a difference! Just looking at the in-your-face, over-saturated colors gave me the willies
post #4150 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Johnnie - I have the Onkyo 707. Go to Setup, menu 5.1 and select Audyssey DSX.

That should take care of your problem. Also, look at all the items in this menu. By properly selecting Audyssey DSX it should eliminate most of the clicking sounds, if your unit is plagued like mine was.
post #4151 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniedoo View Post
Has anyone with netcast/netflix been able to make the audyssey or dolby surround PL II work?
Short answer: No
Long answer: Use the Search Thread tool at the upper right of each page. It's been discussed on numerous occasions.
post #4152 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Here are my 47LD520 daytime calibration settings. Basically twice as much light output as the last settings I posted (@100 IRE). These are intended for watching in my very bright room during the daytime. They are bright, but are still 2.22 gamma and 6500k color temp. These passed the Seabiscuit tests during the day. I may take a look at it later tonight to see how these settings do in a dimmer environment

Code:
HDMI ISFExpert2
Aspect Ratio    Just Scan

Energy Saving   Off

Backlight       48
Contrast        93
Brightness      53
H. Sharpness    49
V, Sharpness    48
   Color        50
   Tint          0

Expert Control  

Dynamic Contrast      Off       
Noise Reduction       Off
Dig Noise Reduct.     Off 
Black Level           Low
Real Cinema           Off
Color Gamut           BT709
Edge Enhancer         Off
xvYCC                 Auto
Expert Pattern        Off
Color Filter          Off

Color Temperature     Warm

Gamma           2.2

Method          10 Point IRE

Pattern Outer

Luminance 100IRE 233

IRE Adj. Points    R, G, B

100  -2, -14,  -7
90   -8,  -9,  -6
80  -10, -11,  -8
70  -11, -15, -10
60  -14, -16,  -9
50  -13, -14,  -6
40  -10, -11,  -3
30   -7,  -7,  -2
20   -4,  -5,  -1
10   -3,  -3,  -7
0     0,   0,   0

Color  Man. System      

Red  Color       4
Red  Tint        1
Green  Color     12
Green  Tint     -9
Blue  Color     6
Blue  Tint      -9
Yellow  Color    0
Yellow  Tint    -2
Cyan  Color      0
Cyan  Tint       0
Magenta Color    2
Magenta Tint    -2
post #4153 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobama View Post
i recently became the proud owner of a 42ld550. i'd like some help on suggested settings for ps3 gaming and bluray movies. also, i found that on SOME games e.g uncharted 2, setting tru motion to 'on' provides a better experience than using the factory 'game' setting and the picture also seems a little dark with the preset. but for other games, like hot pursuit, the preset works great. i'm looking for settings that would provide a uniformly good PQ for gaming. the same goes for blu-ray movies
While I feel quite privileged to have the opportunity to provide guidance to POTUS, I feel that you have more pressing matters you should be working on - so please get back to work!

I don't have a PS3, so can't help much with the settings for that. VBB posts regularly and he recently picked up a PS3 - maybe he'll chime in.

Congrats on the new TV.
post #4154 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

@djams

Thanks for the daytime cals. Top half looks pretty close to mine but your CMS is different (not surprising). I'm going to keep mine in place until I can do the Seabiscuit test (Blu-ray on order) then I'll see how your 47-520 looks on mine, even though my tv room doesn't get that bright during the afternoons.
post #4155 of 5077 Old 04-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

@djams

Thanks for the daytime cals. Top half looks pretty close to mine but your CMS is different (not surprising). I'm going to keep mine in place until I can do the Seabiscuit test (Blu-ray on order) then I'll see how your 47-520 looks on mine, even though my tv room doesn't get that bright during the afternoons.

You're very welcome.

If you compare these settings to my "evening" settings, you'll see that CMS is quite different between the two, as well as the 10 point IRE settings. This surprised me - it seems that cranking up the light output on my set changes things considerably. I'm comparing the two right now while watching "Great Natural Wonders of the World" on Amazon HD. (putting in Seabiscuit would require that I get off the couch - that sounds like way too much work right now)
post #4156 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're very welcome.

If you compare these settings to my "evening" settings, you'll see that CMS is quite different between the two, as well as the 10 point IRE settings. This surprised me - it seems that cranking up the light output on my set changes things considerably. I'm comparing the two right now while watching "Great Natural Wonders of the World" on Amazon HD. (putting in Seabiscuit would require that I get off the couch - that sounds like way too much work right now)

I think part of the reason the CMS changes, at least in my case, is that my eyes perceive the "blending of the shades" differently in various lighting conditions while I'm calibrating. That's why I posted the average of 3 CMS cals from the 47LD520s (yours was included). I was thinking that maybe an average cal from the same model might produce an overall "universal" CMS setting for the 47LD520s but there's just too many variables that go into the cal I think to make that probably viable. It may just be a good starting point for someone. However, as you know, that's just for one of the HDMI inputs and may not translate well to OTA, PC, or another HDMI input. As far as IRE goes, I have to depend on those of you who have the equipment to calibrate that aspect. I do have to admit though that when I use my calibrations with another person's IRE cals, I just don't see that much difference with or without the IRE. Of course, this is another Seabiscuit testing regimen over a couple of days that I'm sure will drive the family crazy once the disc gets here

As I've alluded to before, our family room gets a nice amount of light but only directly in the early morning hours. The rest of the day it's indirect. We rarely watch tv in the mornings and I've gotten accustomed to using the eco function to change the "brightness" of the LG during the day and evening so I pretty much stick with one cal. One has to train the eyes. Of course I'm sure if you were to graph out my cals some of the more knowledgeable denizens of our group would go into fits However, it looks good to me.
post #4157 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Short answer: No
Long answer: Use the Search Thread tool at the upper right of each page. It's been discussed on numerous occasions.

Thanks for the short answer. that is pretty much what i was looking for.
i have used the search thread prior to finding this forum-which is how i found the thread but, alas,not anything germane to my issue. will try it again maybe using search criteria like netflix or netcast streaming audio , or netcast audio are not good search words. i have not found any of the numerous discussions about this.
But i appreciate the time you spent on the long answer anyway.
john d.

LG42LD550, ONKYO TX SR608, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. GA990FXA UD3, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 OC 3Gb GDDR5, AMD FX-8150BE@4.0, 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , CISCO E3200, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; CISCO DOCS3.0
post #4158 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniedoo View Post

Thanks for the short answer. that is pretty much what i was looking for.
i have used the search thread prior to finding this forum-which is how i found the thread but, alas,not anything germane to my issue. will try it again
john d.

I think you may have used the General Search "Google" at the top center of the page. The "Search Thread " option is at the top right of each thread page. This Search Thread option allows for a narrow pertinent search once in a thread and filters out a lot of extraneous cr@p.

On aa side note: Watching "Blazing Saddles" on Blu-ray. . . was such a good price I couldn't pass it up and did not have it on DVD anyway. Cheers!
post #4159 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think part of the reason the CMS changes, at least in my case, is that my eyes perceive the "blending of the shades" differently in various lighting conditions while I'm calibrating.

In both of my posted settings, the CMS adjustments are made based on meter measurements of the color windows on the AVS HD709 disc. I can't rely on my eye at all.

Quote:

As far as IRE goes, I have to depend on those of you who have the equipment to calibrate that aspect. I do have to admit though that when I use my calibrations with another person's IRE cals, I just don't see that much difference with or without the IRE.

What I've learned since getting the meter is that using white balance settings from a set that is vastly different from mine can produce a very bad picture. As I stated before, when I use some of the settings posted here, I get a very yellow, dingy picture. After getting the grayscale set correctly, this problem completely disappeared. Additionally, the picture has more depth. Just a world of difference. So, I'd say that if the 10 point IRE settings you are using don't make you say "yuck, that's awful" - they must not be too far off the mark.

Quote:

However, it looks good to me.

And that's all that matters, right?
post #4160 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

On aa side note: Watching "Blazing Saddles" on Blu-ray. . . was such a good price I couldn't pass it up and did not have it on DVD anyway. Cheers!

I got this as a Christmas gift this year. A true classic - enjoy!
post #4161 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In both of my posted settings, the CMS adjustments are made based on meter measurements of the color windows on the AVS HD709 disc. I can't rely on my eye at all.

I'd like to have a meter but it's wisest for me if I draw the line there and not get one However, I just may "borrow" your metered settings being as we have the same set and give them a run. I've learned to be patient with new settings and give them at least a week before making any adjustments. These LGs a are just so much fun to play with!

Blazing Saddles is one of our annual "review" movies. Movies we watch at least once a year. Young Frankenstein, The Full Monty, My Cousin Vinny, Guys and Dolls are a few others. About every two years we watch Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Love the Bomb and It's a Mad Mad Mad World.

Just noticed that you have 233? listed for IRE.
post #4162 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just noticed that you have 233? listed for IRE.

Yes - this is the light output at 100 IRE with the basic settings listed. Again, this is not a picture setting, it is a calibration aid. The only reason I listed it with the settings is to give an indication of how "bright" these settings are intended to be. 233 cd/m2 is equivalent to 65ftL, which was my target starting point for these daytime settings. I got this starting point, by the way, from the FAQ's on Chad B's website. You do not have to enter this value - it doesn't affect the picture at all. The backlight, contrast and brightness settings are what determine the light output (mainly backlight).

These settings are intended for a bright viewing environment. When I watched the daytime settings at night, I started to experience eye strain after an hour or so.

You have excellent taste in movies, BTW.
post #4163 of 5077 Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These settings are intended for a bright viewing environment. When I watched the daytime settings at night, I started to experience eye strain after an hour or so.

You have excellent taste in movies, BTW.

Yeah I think you may have mentioned that this was for a bright room and I overlooked that. I may give them a view anyway. You never know

We do have a rather large, eclectic collection of movies. My son usually buys most of them. When he was young I turned him onto Abbott and Costello and now we have the complete collection (as well as James Bond, Pirates, Star Wars, ad naseum). Complete Boston Legal series, Alias, the list goes on. It is kinda nice to watch these again on the "big screen" and the Panny 210 does an admirable job of unconverting.
post #4164 of 5077 Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Wireless issues...

I have the 32LD550, which was purchased from QVC with the wireless dongle. I have never got the wireless to work right on this tv. It connects fine, but when I try using any apps it disconnects and has problems. However when I use the weather widgets it works fine. When I connect with a lan cable everything works fine though.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the wireless doesn't work. I have tried connected to multiple routers and same disconnects every time I try to use netflix or something data extensive. I have also tried using my wireless dongle in someone elses ld550 tv and it worked fine. Any Ideas?

I would have returned this t.v if it wasn't for the great picture. I have it hooked up as a tv2 on dishnetwork and it looks like full hd over coax.
post #4165 of 5077 Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrian420 View Post

Wireless issues...

I have the 32LD550, which was purchased from QVC with the wireless dongle. I have never got the wireless to work right on this tv. It connects fine, but when I try using any apps it disconnects and has problems. However when I use the weather widgets it works fine. When I connect with a lan cable everything works fine though.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the wireless doesn't work. I have tried connected to multiple routers and same disconnects every time I try to use netflix or something data extensive. I have also tried using my wireless dongle in someone elses ld550 tv and it worked fine. Any Ideas?

I would have returned this t.v if it wasn't for the great picture. I have it hooked up as a tv2 on dishnetwork and it looks like full hd over coax.

Silly question but have you called LG? Try moving your tv to a different location if you can. If it works, then maybe there's something interfering with the dongle where it's currently situated.
post #4166 of 5077 Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrian420 View Post

Wireless issues...

We have 2 32LD550's. One from QVC and one from Newegg. The QVC came with the Dongle but it never got a strong signal but we put the Dongle in the other one and it works great. For mine the location of the TVs was the issue the working one is within 15 ft of the router.
post #4167 of 5077 Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 AM

@djams:
lol. thanks
on another note, i was watching avatar on bluray today and there was a LOT of stutter which was annoying as hell. i'm using the ps3 as my bluray player. any help would be appreciated
post #4168 of 5077 Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@djams:
lol. thanks
on another note, i was watching avatar on bluray today and there was a LOT of stutter which was annoying as hell. i'm using the ps3 as my bluray player. any help would be appreciated

I should be getting my free 3D Avatar (I don't have a 3D set nor do I want one) from purchasing my Panansonic 210 so as soon as it comes in, we'll be watching it and I'll report back, on how well it looks, 3D played back in 2D, pq on the 47LD520, etc.
post #4169 of 5077 Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@djams:
lol. thanks

Somewhere in the ps3 menus, there is a setting to output 24p when playing bluray discs. Turn this on, and make sure Real Cinema is ON in the advanced settings on the TV.

Not related to stutter/judder but worth mentioning, is that TruMotion causes ringing/halos on my TV when watching BD's. If you notice this, turn trumotion off.
post #4170 of 5077 Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah I think you may have mentioned that this was for a bright room and I overlooked that. I may give them a view anyway. You never know

I hope you decide to give the settings a test drive. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page