Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread
neo0001's Avatar neo0001 09:25 PM 09-25-2010
hello, again
i finally replace the defective panel from before, today i carefully put together the new one (46ld550) but when I was tightening the base screws on the base to the panel i notice the the bottom two screws tighten to a point and then spin i did not over tighted i use a hand screw driver instead of an electric one to avoid breaking something, is this normal the top screw do not seem to do this .

thanks. I hope i have better luck with this panel

mgforce's Avatar mgforce 01:40 AM 09-26-2010
Hi... I am new to the forum, have just bought LG 32LD650 LCD 2 days back.

Before buying the TV I did R&D on Internet to find out pros & cons of this model. It was during that time I came across this forum & thread. Thanks Phase700B for starting the thread... post going through few pages of the thread & reading owners feedback I got confidence that my choice of company & model is good. Hence I went ahead & bought the TV.

The PQ was very bad on the new TV which was set at default settings. I picked up suggestions from this thread... I have Cable Connection (SD) & hence used yours Expert 1 OTA settings to start with... hope that was right understand. With these modified settings the PQ had improved but still not that great. This is my first LCD so don't have anything to benchmark but still with whatever experience..I feel I need to further tweak settings... but being a newbie I am not doing experiments myself as of now..Any suggestions for people having plain old Cable TV. BTW the room lighting is normal / moderate.

I have one particular issue which is annoying a lot... That is regarding audio quality when running movies from USB. I run mkv (video: x264, xvid; audio: AAC, AC3, DD etc).. What I am finding is that the human voice (dialogues) is not that audible compared to background scores. So for the same Volume levels... when dialogues are delivered I have to stretch myself to listen whereas in case of background music the volume seems deafening!

Can anyone suggest if there are some audio settings to correct this? The Clear Voice II is not helping much. Is it something to do with movie files having 5 channel audio etc? This problem is across range of files.

PS: I don't have additional speakers etc.. am just using the TV audio output. The same files when running on laptop have no such issues.
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 04:25 AM 09-26-2010
anyone got any sound settings for LD550 they wanna share?
mrpergo's Avatar mrpergo 04:45 AM 09-26-2010
I don't have any sound settings but I just hooked up a Vizio sound bar and I don't find anyway to turn off the sound from the TV.
Is there a setting for optical out, or do you just turn the sound down to zero?
Another adjustment I need to make is the picture from my PC is a little large.I feed the LG via HDMI from a GTX470 set a 1920x1080 60hz and the task bar is cut off about half way.
It seems like the overall picture is just a little to big for the screen. Any thoughts?
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 06:03 AM 09-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpergo View Post

I don't have any sound settings but I just hooked up a Vizio sound bar and I don't find anyway to turn off the sound from the TV.
Is there a setting for optical out, or do you just turn the sound down to zero?
Another adjustment I need to make is the picture from my PC is a little large.I feed the LG via HDMI from a GTX470 set a 1920x1080 60hz and the task bar is cut off about half way.
It seems like the overall picture is just a little to big for the screen. Any thoughts?

change the aspect ratio to "just scan"

if that doesnt fix it then go into your graphic cards control center and there should be a 'overscan' option
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 07:06 AM 09-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforce View Post

Hi... I am new to the forum, have just bought LG 32LD650 LCD 2 days back.

.I feel I need to further tweak settings... but being a newbie I am not doing experiments myself as of now..Any suggestions for people having plain old Cable TV. BTW the room lighting is normal / moderate.

Try the Cinema OTA/Cable settings. They will be better for daytime viewing or general programs. Expert 1 is a bit warrmer calibration than Expert2. Both of those are best for movies or evening viewing.
sanman_76's Avatar sanman_76 07:11 AM 09-26-2010
Quote:

Sanman you said you were picky, how is your off angle viewing on dark scenes or movies with black bars compared to the pics I posted?

My set is about the same maybe a little better. Honestly though it will not be a problem as I sit directly in front of the TV. The off angle view is better than the Vizio xvt553.
mgforce's Avatar mgforce 07:11 AM 09-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Try the Cinema OTA/Cable settings. They will be better for daytime viewing or general programs. Expert 1 is a bit warrmer calibration than Expert2. Both of those are best for movies or evening viewing.

Thanks... I will try the same.. BTW any tips to resolve the audio issue?
MrVizio's Avatar MrVizio 08:41 AM 09-26-2010
Hey, does anyone know how to change the time from military to standard on the set? I checked the clock settings and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
neo0001's Avatar neo0001 12:33 PM 09-26-2010
I just finish phase700b's expert 1 settings and wow! what a difference from the preset picture settings, but I was wondering if i can use the same settings but use a cool color temp. I prefer the cool look vs warm. can i keep all the other numbers the same and just change the color temp or do i need a different calibration setting
anyways thanks so much for posting the cal sheet.
VBB's Avatar VBB 12:45 PM 09-26-2010
Regarding the audio, with no external speakers I would definitely use the Clear Voice II settings. Mine is set at level 3, then Standard for regular TV and Cinema for movies. Make sure Auto Volume is ON. That helps a lot.

MRPERGO, in the audio settings there is an option to turn the internal TV sound OFF. It's all the way at the bottom.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 02:31 PM 09-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo0001 View Post

I just finish phase700b's expert 1 settings and wow! what a difference from the preset picture settings, but I was wondering if i can use the same settings but use a cool color temp. I prefer the cool look vs warm. can i keep all the other numbers the same and just change the color temp or do i need a different calibration setting
anyways thanks so much for posting the cal sheet.

The Expert1 settings were done with the color temperature set at Warm. If you want a cooler picture, Expert2 is just a bit cooler. You might get away with the Color Temperature set at "Medium" without making changes in Expert1, although it doesn't look good to my eyes.

I just tried setting temperature to Cool in Expert1 and it isn't a very natural color palette with that done. The whole idea of Expert1 and Expert2 settings is to get as close as possible to 6500K color temperature and it was best to start with the default color temperature of Warm when the settings were done.
mrpergo's Avatar mrpergo 05:47 PM 09-26-2010
MRPERGO, in the audio settings there is an option to turn the internal TV sound OFF. It's all the way at the bottom.

Jeez!! I don't know how I missed that
Devedander's Avatar Devedander 06:24 PM 09-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforce View Post

I have one particular issue which is annoying a lot... That is regarding audio quality when running movies from USB. I run mkv (video: x264, xvid; audio: AAC, AC3, DD etc).. What I am finding is that the human voice (dialogues) is not that audible compared to background scores. So for the same Volume levels... when dialogues are delivered I have to stretch myself to listen whereas in case of background music the volume seems deafening!

Can anyone suggest if there are some audio settings to correct this? The Clear Voice II is not helping much. Is it something to do with movie files having 5 channel audio etc? This problem is across range of files.

PS: I don't have additional speakers etc.. am just using the TV audio output. The same files when running on laptop have no such issues.

Have you tried turning up the clear voice setting? It's an EQ setting that can help bring voices out a bit.

Also it's possible you are using videos encoded for surround sound setups with a center channel and thus piping alll the dialoge to a center channel your TV doesn't have. Try getting a video file that is native 2 channel stereo maybe and see if that works better?
mrpergo's Avatar mrpergo 06:35 PM 09-26-2010
Quote:

No problem. Thanks for asking as I'm sure a few others who are curious or confused would like to know. With the number of ISF Expert1 and ISF Expert2 settings there are, it can be daunting.

First, select in the Menu, Picture and then select either Expert1 or Expert2 and make the settings for Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, etc from the calibration chart. After Tint in the menu is the Expert Control entry point. Depress Enter while Expert Control is highlighted and you will enter the Expert Controls.
Now make your setting changes for all the items that have appeared (Dynamic Contrast, Noise Reduction,etc) until you get to "Method". You need to change that from2 Point to 10 Point IRE. Step down to luminance and set that at 110, this is ok and will make the rest easier. Right below Luminance, will be the first R,G,B set points for the 100 IRE values on the calibration chart (Red= 0, Green=-2,Blue= 3). Step back up to IRE 100, depress enter, and now press the left arrow on the remote to change to the next IRE point of 90. Now step down and make the R,G,B entries from the chart for IRE 90. Repeat for all IRE points. Once done, then you can step down the Menu and get to the Color Management System settings and make those.

I hope this clarified things for you and others who are interested in making these settings. If it's still a puzzle, ask away!

Phase700B I've been following your instructions on entering the expert settings. For your settings you say to set pattern to outer( inner if your not using a calibration disk) so if I'm just entering your numbers I set the pattern to Inner?
Thanks for all the testing you've done, I know it has helped me a bunch.The TV looks great.
thegrommit's Avatar thegrommit 06:55 PM 09-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrommit View Post

Update with MrVizio's info:

42LD550 ph2k967 - ips (phase700b)

47LD520 kufj621 - ips (shadowinq)

60LD550 bw4h829 - ??? (vbb)
60LD550 wv4h513 - ??? (MrVizio)

For anyone just joining the thread, we're looking for the end of your serial number in an attempt to spot a pattern for IPS vs non-IPS panels.

One last reminder:

It's possible to identify which LG E5300 sets have IPS panels by looking at the end of the serial number. A "W" indicates the set has an IPS panel, and therefore lower input lag and better horizontal viewing angles

Could owners of a LD520/LD550/650 post the end of your serial number, along with the model and a comment on the viewing angles? This may allow us to find a similar pattern for future buyers.
Coyote4's Avatar Coyote4 10:12 PM 09-26-2010
Anyone knows the input-lag of the 650 model?...

Thanks.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 04:27 AM 09-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpergo View Post

Phase700B I've been following your instructions on entering the expert settings. For your settings you say to set pattern to outer( inner if your not using a calibration disk) so if I'm just entering your numbers I set the pattern to Inner?
Thanks for all the testing you've done, I know it has helped me a bunch.The TV looks great.

You can set the pattern to Inner, but it is just to see the results on the full screen field if you want to. Otherwise you can just enter the settings values with it set to inner or outer.

Glad the settings are helping. You would set the pattern to Outer if you have a disk that has gray scale patterns and color bars for calibration.
MrVizio's Avatar MrVizio 08:19 AM 09-27-2010
Phase,

I want to express my thanks for you taking the time to create the various settings. I employed your Expert 1 settings for my Blu-ray movies, but I was spending so much time analyzing that I never really got to appreciate your hard work.

Last night I watched "Trading Places" and " Ferris Bueller" in 1080p (the new remastered versions). I stopped analyzing and just enjoyed the films. And realized how good your settings really are. The colors were so natural, but even more so, the picture was so crisp and clean, without being artificially enhanced.

I toggled between Cinema (my old favorite) and your Expert 1, and was very impressed with the improvement. One thing that stood out was the eyes of the actors. They looked wet and alive! You did a damn good job.

I know to the average, casual viewer it might seem like no big deal, but to me it's a pretty big deal.

Just really wanted to thank you.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 08:51 AM 09-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

Phase,

I want to express my thanks for you taking the time to create the various settings. I employed your Expert 1 settings for my Blu-ray movies, but I was spending so much time analyzing that I never really got to appreciate your hard work.

Last night I watched "Trading Places" and " Ferris Bueller" in 1080p (the new remastered versions). I stopped analyzing and just enjoyed the films. And realized how good your settings really are. The colors were so natural, but even more so, the picture was so crisp and clean, without being artificially enhanced.

I toggled between Cinema (my old favorite) and your Expert 1, and was very impressed with the improvement. One thing that stood out was the eyes of the actors. They looked wet and alive! You did a damn good job.

I know to the average, casual viewer it might seem like no big deal, but to me it's a pretty big deal.

Just really wanted to thank you.

Well, thank you for the kind words. Video has just gotten to be a hobby with me as much as entertainment. And who doesn't want to share a good thing (settings) if it benefits others.

I too really like the Expert1 settings for DVD or Blu-ray. And Cinema would be my choice especially for daytime viewing of movies or OTA/cable. Sports works well for me for daytime viewing also.

Our LG TVs really do have excellent picture quality and really shine with a quality input source.

Oh, regarding the Clock military time standard, I've searched quite thoroughly and looked in the large mutli-model manual for the 'LD' line of TVs and could not find anything that mentions settings the clock any differently.
MrVizio's Avatar MrVizio 10:50 AM 09-27-2010
Quote:

Well, thank you for the kind words. Video has just gotten to be a hobby with me as much as entertainment. And who doesn't want to share a good thing (settings) if it benefits others.

I too really like the Expert1 settings for DVD or Blu-ray. And Cinema would be my choice especially for daytime viewing of movies or OTA/cable. Sports works well for me for daytime viewing also.

Our LG TVs really do have excellent picture quality and really shine with a quality input source.

Oh, regarding the Clock military time standard, I've searched quite thoroughly and looked in the large mutli-model manual for the 'LD' line of TVs and could not find anything that mentions settings the clock any differently.

Yeah, this has become one of my favorite TVs (particularly from the sweet spot). Very few TVs in this price range offer such an array of calibration adjustments. Other companies should learn from LG.

Also, I'm sure you're very busy like the rest of us here, but if you can find a good "Game" calibration setting it would be awesome. I don't play a lot of games (Halo, Madden, Fight Night), but that is something I look forward to.

I have eyeballed it and produced some pretty decent settings for my games, but you seem to have the equipment and understanding for getting things right.

Maybe I should try the Expert 2 settings for games?

Edit: Guess were all stuck with the Military clock settings. Isn't that sort of odd? It doesn't bother me so much, but my wife is annoyed by it. Either way, no biggy.
Michael78's Avatar Michael78 12:48 PM 09-27-2010
Hi everyone, i'm new on this forum and reading this thread help me to choose the 42ld550. I have it for 3 days now and i find it really good for the price.

I have one question, I didn't see anything about that in the thread but i was wondering if the dts is passthrough the optical out when playing MKV with DTS audio... thank! And btw if there anyway to choose DTS audio track from a MKV who have DTS and AC3 tracks...?

Thanks again! and sorry for my english
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 01:05 PM 09-27-2010
i have some settings for xbox 360 for the 32LD550 if anyones interested

Xbox 360 Reference level: expanded

Contrast: 80
Brightness: 64
Sharpness: 55

Adv settings

Gamma: Low
Color Gamut: Wide
Black Level: Low

everything else is personal preference tbh
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 04:51 PM 09-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael78 View Post

Hi everyone, i'm new on this forum and reading this thread help me to choose the 42ld550. I have it for 3 days now and i find it really good for the price.

I have one question, I didn't see anything about that in the thread but i was wondering if the dts is passthrough the optical out when playing MKV with DTS audio... thank! And btw if there anyway to choose DTS audio track from a MKV who have DTS and AC3 tracks...?

Thanks again! and sorry for my english

Hello. The optical output from the TV only passes Dolby Digital I believe. I assume you are using one of the USB ports to play your MKV.

Perhaps there is another reader here in the thread who can comment of the use of MKV files and selecting the various audio tracks.
Michael78's Avatar Michael78 05:56 PM 09-27-2010
Quote:

Hello. The optical output from the TV only passes Dolby Digital I believe. I assume you are using one of the USB ports to play your MKV.

Perhaps there is another reader here in the thread who can comment of the use of MKV files and selecting the various audio tracks.

I play the mkv using the network and nero media home 4, from my computer. I've tried with a usb drive and it work well to. This is my secondary tv, tomorrow i will probably try to take my 5.1 receiver and test it just in case... my mkv are almost all in DTS...

BTW i've tested your calibration setting and they are pretty good!

Thanks!
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 06:21 AM 09-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

Yeah, this has become one of my favorite TVs (particularly from the sweet spot). Very few TVs in this price range offer such an array of calibration adjustments. Other companies should learn from LG.

Exactly. I don't think most owners who buy an LG TV in the 'LD' model line know this. One issue I found even with Samsung, and some other big name TVs is the yellow/green color inaccuracy which drove me nuts. And it can not be easily dialed out. Take a look at the wall of TVs the next time you go into the Big Box store with the blue and yellow sign. They have yellow on the screen a lot of the time with their store feeds and the yellow on most of the TVs is more greenish. The xxLD550 had a more accurate yellow out of the box. Yellow is an important color for subtle flesh tones and natural outdoor scenes and contributes to the depth and detail you can see with a well calibrated TV.

Quote:
Also, I'm sure you're very busy like the rest of us here, but if you can find a good "Game" calibration setting it would be awesome. I don't play a lot of games (Halo, Madden, Fight Night), but that is something I look forward to.

I'll try to come up with a Game calibration. The ISF Expert picture mode is a bit toned down from most of the presets I've noticed. That, plus some game systems and their players, need or want the other characteristics that the Game picture mode offers.
Michael78's Avatar Michael78 09:16 AM 09-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael78 View Post

I play the mkv using the network and nero media home 4, from my computer. I've tried with a usb drive and it work well to. This is my secondary tv, tomorrow i will probably try to take my 5.1 receiver and test it just in case... my mkv are almost all in DTS...

BTW i've tested your calibration setting and they are pretty good!

Thanks!

No DTS on the optical out... too bad...

Still a great unit and i hope people from LG will correct this on a futur update.
VBB's Avatar VBB 12:41 PM 09-28-2010
Hello gang,

Couldn't find time to post yesterday. The past couple of days I've been experimenting with the energy saving feature and different lighting throughout the day.

I now have Energy Saving set to AUTO along with Phase's Expert 1 settings, of course. What it does is, it controls only the backlight and nothing else (unlike the Intelligent Sensor option, which controls almost all picture settings). For nighttime watching with just a little ambient light, it lowers the backlight even more than what Phase has it at. In my case, with light only coming from behind the screen, it goes all the way down to zero.

I've found that this improves black level even more and, in my opinion, gives the best picture so far. Try it. It might not be bright enough for some of you, but it looks amazing to me and I don't have to manually adjust backlight anymore. I think I'll stop tweaking now!
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 01:20 PM 09-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Hello gang,

Couldn't find time to post yesterday. The past couple of days I've been experimenting with the energy saving feature and different lighting throughout the day.

I now have Energy Saving set to AUTO along with Phase's Expert 1 settings, of course. What it does is, it controls only the backlight and nothing else (unlike the Intelligent Sensor option, which controls almost all picture settings). For nighttime watching with just a little ambient light, it lowers the backlight even more than what Phase has it at. In my case, with light only coming from behind the screen, it goes all the way down to zero.

I've found that this improves black level even more and, in my opinion, gives the best picture so far. Try it. It might not be bright enough for some of you, but it looks amazing to me and I don't have to manually adjust backlight anymore. I think I'll stop tweaking now!
I'll have to try the Energy Saving "Auto" setting again. It does reduce backlight as you've stated. I did notice that under certain conditions though, when a particularly bright scene came on the screen; that the room reflected light from the screen seemed to feedback to the sensor on the TV and increased backlight for a few seconds, then turned it back down. It caused a kind of "pumping" effect to the picture brightness. Maybe I have my room brighter than yours, but I'll try it again.

Done tweaking? Somehow I find that hard to believe To help you out here's my last really refined HDMI Expert1. It is very subtle.... and still brings out depth and detail. It is really good on my 42" for movies at night.

LG 42LD550 HDMI 1 ISF Expert 1 Final Subtle 9-28-10.txt 0.9951171875k . file
joeye328's Avatar joeye328 03:17 PM 09-28-2010
I have the 55LD520 and I have noticed that there is a faint buzz sound when the TV is on, the type of sound associated with a transformer or CCFL ballast if you know what I mean. TV picture will affect the sound, for example changing from a majority white picture to a dark one will cause the buzz to get louder or quieter (there is no pattern). The buzz is pretty faint and it get covered by my HTPC's noise, but when you are two feet away from the TV you can definitely hear it. I had my TV's power supply board replaced (DOA) so I'm a little concerned.
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop