post #4771 of 5077 Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter125 View Post

I've decided never to buy LG again. My 52LD550 LCD has a a failing internet network adapter. Call LG and asked about help. They said, you model was manufactured in March 2010 so the warranty is up. So touch titty. Don't buy LG they don't stand behind their produces. Just another Visco. Never buy from a company that don't own or understand the engineering.

Troll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 5077 Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

@sheshechic

Yay! You're back. Nice to see you here
post #4773 of 5077 Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice to see you Sheila! Have a great T-Day for you and yours!

Stop back and tell us what you've been up to!
post #4774 of 5077 Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Otto!
post #4775 of 5077 Old 11-18-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Hi Otto!

Back at ya PhaseMan
post #4776 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Ummmm, I'm pretty sure that you received several mailings that offered you the opportunity to extend you warranty. I'm assuming that you didn't- right?

So what manufacturers do you know of that give away tech service for free?

I don't know you and you don't know me. But I will tell you one thing. I don't like spending $1400 for a TV that will go bad in less than 2 years. My point is LG is on the same Level with Visco (junk status). If your products don't hold up and have a high failure rate, you're going to be put out of business.

And yes, LG should provide techical support and repair. I was a loyal customer. But never again. My next unit will be a samsung cause samsung ownes the engineering. And no I'm not a Troll. I just want people to know what kind of company LG is and how they operate. I plan to tell the world not to buy LG. Word of mouth means more to me they all of the commercials and fast talk about life is good. Cause life is good if you have problems within 1 years. After that you're stuck. And you know what, if I can keep just one person from buying an LG product, it's worth it. The more people hear about my experience, they will tell others to avoid LG. I
post #4777 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I don't want to start a pros and cons argument on extended warranties but I bought one from my 47LD520 about 1 week before the 180 day period ran out. It wasn't that expensive and I bought it directly from LG so my mfg warranty goes out to 3 years. I usually get some sort of extended warranty on important item (tv's, laptops,etc) and for us, it has come in handy a couple of times. I know that doesn't help you Marty but Phase's suggestion is certainly something to think about if you went the cc route and can prove it. Worth looking into. Maybe LG will cut you some slack being as your warranty recently expired

I'm sick of people talking about buying an extended warranty. Extended warranty are required for off branch china junk! Own the engineering and stand by your manufacturing! If I'm required to buy and extended warranty, I don't need to buy your product. LG has a junk rating.
post #4778 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sick of people talking about buying an extended warranty. Extended warranty are required for off branch china junk! Own the engineering and stand by your manufacturing! If I'm required to buy and extended warranty, I don't need to buy your product. LG has a junk rating.

Gee, do you have an opinion about LG products? Kinda hard to tell

Every manufacturer is going to make a bad set now and then. Some have a worse track record than others but they all have problems, even the top-of-the-line ones. Sorry you had a bad experience with your set but, like sheshechic said, you were probably given the opportunity for an extended warranty. Most mfrs (in fact, probably all) won't give a warranty much past two years and that's based on testing and probably projected component availability (among other things) so you got one that lasted as long as they said it would. Yes I agree, it should have lasted longer but there are no guarantees. However, to put LG in the same category as say, Vizio, is just an angry person venting their frustration. I hope you have better luck with the next set you buy.
post #4779 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Gee, do you have an opinion about LG products? Kinda hard to tell

Every manufacturer is going to make a bad set now and then. Some have a worse track record than others but they all have problems, even the top-of-the-line ones. Sorry you had a bad experience with your set but, like sheshechic said, you were probably given the opportunity for an extended warranty. Most mfrs (in fact, probably all) won't give a warranty much past two years and that's based on testing and probably projected component availability (among other things) so you got one that lasted as long as they said it would. Yes I agree, it should have lasted longer but there are no guarantees. However, to put LG in the same category as say, Vizio, is just an angry person venting their frustration. I hope you have better luck with the next set you buy.

Actually the manufactures should pay for the extended warranty through part selection and quality control. Why should I pay twice for a warranty that should be included with the product? Extented warrantly are only useful to help the bottem line for the store saling the product.

I can only speak about about my experience. LG responded with similar lanuage as Vizio... Out of warranty and it's not my problem. So what's the different?

But given LG doesn't own the engineering, they can't warrant the parts through quality control. LG is stamping their name on a product they don't control. I.E. The 52LD550 was manufactured by Sharp and rebranded as LG.

I want other to know how I was treated... Buyer beware!
post #4780 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I don't know you and you don't know me. But I will tell you one thing. I don't like spending $1400 for a TV that will go bad in less than 2 years. My point is LG is on the same Level with Visco (junk status). If your products don't hold up and have a high failure rate, you're going to be put out of business.

And yes, LG should provide techical support and repair. I was a loyal customer. But never again. My next unit will be a samsung cause samsung ownes the engineering. And no I'm not a Troll. I just want people to know what kind of company LG is and how they operate. I plan to tell the world not to buy LG. Word of mouth means more to me they all of the commercials and fast talk about life is good. Cause life is good if you have problems within 1 years. After that you're stuck. And you know what, if I can keep just one person from buying an LG product, it's worth it. The more people hear about my experience, they will tell others to avoid LG. I

I suggest you do more research and I'd suggest starting here and moving on to Amazon. Your problem was minor compared to what others have experienced before and after their warranties expired- with every manufacturer out there.

I understand how you feel and I must admit that our throw away society ticks me off too. However, a warranty has an expiration for a reason and I believe there is a law of nature that states something about how if it will break, then it will break the day after the warranty expires. IMO, that is common sense and you can only hold yourself responsible for assuming (you do know what that word means when taken apart?) that you would have years of trouble free service beyond the warranty expiration. I have an LG that is 2 years past the expiration and doing just fine (knock wood). Nothing is forever.

There are ways to work around your problem, I hope you figure them out. Good luck.

post #4781 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Hi Otto!
Hi Nick!

We are 2/3 done with the kitchen remodel. We built the cabinets and getting the finish my type A personality requires was a bear. Also, we had to redo the small area we first started in once. Granite get's installed on the 7th and we are trying to figure out the flooring. Right now convenience of having someone install it would be heaven but $$$ say that just might not be practical. Argh!

We have a new grand daughter and one set of kids just moved back to the east coast from Alaska. It's going to be an active year.

Nick, good luck with those endeavors for your state for I fear that as you all go so will most of our nation. know what I mean? I fear for VA. I need to move back up north where regular people have backbone.

I still barely get a chance to watch the 550 but she is doing just fine, although she needs some major adjustments. I don't know why but some stations just don't look as good as they do on the other sets. Even my old LG looks better for Syfy, BBC America and really dark shows. I know I've said that before but recently dark scenes on dvds are exhibiting color banding. We watched The Green Lantern last night and in some scenes it was really bad. It's been so long since I tinkered that I don't even remember which element could be causing it. I'll probably just start from the beginning on the disc.

I hope that all of you have been doing really well.

I'll try to check in more often.

post #4782 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But given LG doesn't own the engineering, they can't warrant the parts through quality control. LG is stamping their name on a product they don't control. I.E. The 52LD550 was manufactured by Sharp and rebranded as LG.

That's a bold statement to make and without proof or a credible statement, you're just *issing in the wind. Sorry you had a bad experience but it's time to take it elsewhere, like maybe LG directly.
post #4783 of 5077 Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Hi Otto!
Hi Nick!

Hiya. We're starting to lay plans for re-doing our kitchen/family room/half bath this summer so I hope it's not all that traumatic. Hope you have a nice T-day and Xmas if we don't here back from you.
post #4784 of 5077 Old 11-20-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Good followup on your LG repair Marty! The inverter was my first guess. And, you are right, the modules are fairly easy to replace, but sometimes they are not so obviously "toasted".

So at least you settings shouldn't have been disturbed, unless he did an initial reset. You didn't happen to have a better picture of the sticker with barcode reader on the back of the inside LCD panel? The numbers would tell who made the panel. I am wondering about "not seating" the inverter properly. Unless is was a heat sink, he possibily meant a connector wasn't seated or pushed on all the way. Not sure how that would cause it to burn up. Inverters are necessary to take the lower voltage DC from the TV power supply and step it up to a higher AC voltage to operate the CCFL (Cold Cathode Florescent Lamps) which are the back lighting for the LCD panel. Same principal as the compact florescent lamps for room lighting. They have small built in inverters to change line voltage AC into a higher frequency AC that allows more effeceint and lower power consumption. So. . . there ya go!

Unfortunately, that was the only pic I had of the barcode sticker. However, when I pull it up on the computer and follow this tutorial I can see it a little bit better,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqkclCJsZs

The top barcode number is,
*550F1722KCZZ-ZS1100*

I can only see a little bit of the model number,
Model No: T546.

It also says this,
AU Optronics
Made in China

And then this is the bottom barcode,
AUS4H11ACRTW8CX2A2.000N

And luckily all of my settings were saved! I think my wife was probably happier about that then I was because she did have to listen to me for the next three days asking her, Which one do you think looks better? This one..or this one?
post #4785 of 5077 Old 11-20-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Excellent pictures and reporting! I'm assuming your tv is fixed and all is bueno.

Yep, it fired right up after that and it has been workin great.
post #4786 of 5077 Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:

I've decided never to buy LG again. My 52LD550 LCD has a a failing internet network adapter. Call LG and asked about help. They said, you model was manufactured in March 2010 so the warranty is up. So touch titty. Don't buy LG they don't stand behind their produces. Just another Visco. Never buy from a company that don't own or understand the engineering.

Sorry to hear about this. It also shouldn't have anything to do with the date it was manufactured it goes buy the date you purchased it..

.warranty is up. So touch titty.

And I don't know why you had to bring touching titties into this, they did nothing to you

I just wanted to reiterate that my experience was pretty great when I dealt with LG. I think throughout the whole process I spoke with four people that were very polite and understand plus the fact that throughout the process I was on hold for a total of no more than 5 mins. was pretty impressive.

I too was one that threw caution to the wind and passed on the warranty and LG was still happy to help me but I can assure you I won't be passing on up again.

Overall, I would be more than happy to purchase more LG and I will definitely be recommending them to others.
post #4787 of 5077 Old 11-20-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyac View Post

.warranty is up. So touch titty.

And I don't know why you had to bring touching titties into this, they did nothing to you

LMAO
post #4788 of 5077 Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 AM

I have something new to add to the discussion about the framerate/stutter issue.

I have a 32LD550. I experienced the framerate issue while watching DVDs with my XBOX 360. However, the framerate issue went away when I changed the XBOX's output resolution from 1080p to 720p. It's a little annoying that I can't use the 1080p, but what are ya gonna do?

Anyway, I recently put a couple of standard definition movie files onto a flash drive. I then plugged the flash drive directly into the USB port on my 32LD550, and I checked out the movies. Neither movie exhibited the framerate issue whatsoever.

What is the point of my story? Well, I could be wrong, but it seems to suggest that the problem isn't with the TV in general. The problem is really between the TV and the XBOX. The TV doesn't get along with the XBOX for whatever reason (I hope that I'm making sense). After I took the XBOX out of the equation, movies didn't exhibit any framerate issues. I'm going to put a 1080p movie file onto the flash drive and see what happens. I'll report back with the results.

I want to buy a Blu-Ray player. My concern is that there could end up being framerate issues between the TV and the Blu-Ray player.
post #4789 of 5077 Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 AM

well my laptop has the stutter issue too when attached to TV so i doubt its just xbox

from my understanding its to do with HDMI and its inability to handle 60hz content, cause once the HDMI is out of the equation there is no stutter problems
post #4790 of 5077 Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

^ ^ ^ Nope. . . that's not really it exactly. It also seems to occur only at 1080p. It's been posted here several times and within the last few pages of this thread. It has to do with 3:2 pull down and out of sequence frame cadence that occurs in some LG models. LG should be notified by owners who have this problem so a Tech can look at it.
post #4791 of 5077 Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:

LG should be notified by owners who have this problem so a Tech can look at it.

Well, I decided to go to the support section of LG's web site. I entered a live chat with one of their agents. He seemed to understand the problem immediately. He was confident that it has everything to do with refresh rate. He said that the refresh rate of any given device (in my case, an XBOX 360) has to match the refresh rate of the television set, otherwise you get the framerate problem. He said that a Blu-Ray player, which allows you to adjust the refresh rate of the device, wouldn't have the framerate problem at 1080p.

I'm just telling you what he said.
post #4792 of 5077 Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM

seems right, since when i put my laptop to 24hz the problem is gone for blu rays.

also did he say if there was any way to fix it or what you should do?
post #4793 of 5077 Old 11-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post

also did he say if there was any way to fix it or what you should do?

His only suggestion was to adjust the refresh rate of your Blu-Ray player, laptop, etc. Unfortunately, the XBOX 360 doesn't allow you to adjust the refresh rate, so I have to watch everything in 720p if I'm using my XBOX.
post #4794 of 5077 Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 AM

change my refresh rate to what exactly?
post #4795 of 5077 Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

i've tried changing my xbox to 1080i and 720p and still get stuttering on videos through ps3 media server from my pc. i could try hooking it up through component cables i guess.
post #4796 of 5077 Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post

change my refresh rate to what exactly?

He didn't specify. He said that 1080p doesn't have only one correct refresh rate. So, I guess that you're supposed to adjust the refresh rate, on a case by case basis, until you hit the one that plays properly. I wasn't totally satisfied with his advice. His suggestions made a certain amount of sense, but I personally get the feeling that there's more to the problem than that.

You could try doing exactly what I did. Just go to the support section of LG's site, and enter a live chat with one of their agents. It wasn't a hassle whatsoever. I didn't have to wait or anything like that. Go in there and speak your mind. Vent your frustrations!
post #4797 of 5077 Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Beano View Post

He didn't specify. He said that 1080p doesn't have only one correct refresh rate. So, I guess that you're supposed to adjust the refresh rate, on a case by case basis, until you hit the one that plays properly. I wasn't totally satisfied with his advice. His suggestions made a certain amount of sense, but I personally get the feeling that there's more to the problem than that.

You could try doing exactly what I did. Just go to the support section of LG's site, and enter a live chat with one of their agents. It wasn't a hassle whatsoever. I didn't have to wait or anything like that. Go in there and speak your mind. Vent your frustrations!

ok thanks for all the info
post #4798 of 5077 Old 11-27-2011, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Did any of you download the USB update for the LD520? I did and haven't noticed any changes really (slow motion face thing still happens when watching NFL network or anything with a lot of face time). This TV just doesn't seem to handle 60hz motion very well for whatever reason, almost as if it's required to have TruMotion enabled to get rid of some blur that you don't see on other TV's 60hz models?
post #4799 of 5077 Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

The xxLD520 models are 120HZ units. Don't see how 60HZ enters into it. Myself and others have no issues with "face" smearing on our xxld520 and xxld550 models. More likely you are seeing compression artifacts form a cable provider, although you do not state your signal source for NFL.
post #4800 of 5077 Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Did any of you download the USB update for the LD520? I did and haven't noticed any changes really (slow motion face thing still happens when watching NFL network or anything with a lot of face time). This TV just doesn't seem to handle 60hz motion very well for whatever reason, almost as if it's required to have TruMotion enabled to get rid of some blur that you don't see on other TV's 60hz models?

I haven't noticed any differences after applying it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page